PDA

View Full Version : Mail/hand delivered question

chachee52
03-06-2010, 07:39 AM
This is a strange question. Just looking for what people would do.
I bought a house a little over a year and a half ago. The former owners renting it out to a small family as much as we can tell. Since we moved we have been getting a lot of their mail. Usually we just put it back in the mail box with "return to sender, no one here by that name" and the mail-lady takes it. Well the last few weeks we are getting mail from the Sherrif's department for both the male and female that lived here. The last couple letters we put back in the mailbox and got it back pointing out that there are no stamps so it must have been hand delivered.
So here's my questions: Do we open them hoping that there is a phone number there so we can explain that we are not the people they are looking for? Do we put stamps on the last letters and write on it that "No one by that name lives here"? Or do I do nothing and wait for SWAT to come looking for them in the middle of the night? (I watch too much COPS and SWAT!!!!)
Thanks for you opinions!!!
Todd

kelmac07
03-06-2010, 07:49 AM
I would personally take to to the Sheriff Department (the return addy) and explain to them that these people do not live at the residence listed on the envelope. :2

CasaDooley
03-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I would personally take to to the Sheriff Department (the return addy) and explain to them that these people do not live at the residence listed on the envelope. :2

:tpd:Good advice!:tu

BigFrank
03-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Might even be worth just giving them a call. The Sheriffs Office by me just handles that sort of stuff. So they may just send a Sheriff on duty out to talk to you or get the mail.

mosesbotbol
03-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Might even be worth just giving them a call. The Sheriffs Office by me just handles that sort of stuff. So they may just send a Sheriff on duty out to talk to you or get the mail.

:tpd:

A simple call the sheriff's office will take care of it.

RevSmoke
03-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I'd take the letters to the Sheriff's office and explain that they do not live there any longer.

I guess I am confused about why this is even a question and something not taken care of immediately.

CigarNut
03-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Definately DO NOT open the letters. Call the Sheriff's and find out where to take the letters and to whom you should give them.

Resipsa
03-06-2010, 12:56 PM
sounds like they are being sued. Most Sheriff departments also act as process servers.

chachee52
03-07-2010, 06:34 AM
I'd take the letters to the Sheriff's office and explain that they do not live there any longer.

I guess I am confused about why this is even a question and something not taken care of immediately.
We sent the first ones back with the "do not live here" on it. Now we are getting it hand delivered. So initially we thought that it was taken care of.

sounds like they are being sued. Most Sheriff departments also act as process servers.

Looking through the light into the envelope looks like they never paid the oil company, would be my guess.

Looks like our first inclinition to go down there is the general consensus. Now we just have to find time to do it.
Thanks guys

G G
03-07-2010, 07:15 AM
I agree with Mac, go over there and talk to them.

nater
03-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Just take back to sheriffs office, issue will resolve itself.