PDA

View Full Version : The final word on "Cigars are good for me"

shilala
03-05-2010, 08:30 AM
This is a bit sciencey and wordy, so I'll summarize first.
They finally figured out what's wrong with me, almost. It's real close, and is one of 20 or 30 rare muscular related genetic missense mutations that are all much the same, with small differences. It's been narrowed down to 3, pretty much. We just have to mess around a bit to figure out exactly which it is, then test for it specifically. (That's just eight tubes of blood for more genetic testing.)
Nicotine plays a large part in fixing it. It's probably why I've been chewing snuff and tobacco since I was 8.

Here's the cool stuff...
My problem is that little channels that carry electrical signals to the muscles don't work right. They don't open and close correctly.
Then the wrong substances come from the cells, in the wrong amounts. Certain amounts of potassium or sodium should enter that channel, and those two things are what regulates the electrical current. I have a mutation that causes those two things to be all goofy.
The cool part is that those channels are called Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors. The reason they are called that is because ingested nicotine will make them run like they should.
As my problems have progressed, I've naturally amped my nicotine intake to 2 cans of snuff a day, smoking lots of cigars, and now I've added sniffing snuff.
Odd part is, I've done it all mindlessly. I also slow way down on my intake when I feel good.

What it boils down to is that if I had not been using tobacco wildly for the last 35 years, I'd be in a heck of a lot worse shape than I am now.
Amazing, right?
Plus I'm a mutant. Fear me. :D

Scottw
03-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Thats crazy Scott, who knew that much nicotine was actually remedying your symptoms (to a degree). Not bad

McSmokey
03-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Sweet our one and only Mutant Scott :D Good to here they are finally figuring something out brother

elderboy02
03-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Very interesting.

wayner123
03-05-2010, 08:35 AM
That's very interesting. Have you tried Swedish snus?

68TriShield
03-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Well that's interesting.

Oh and I can fix that title if you like Scott ;)

hotreds
03-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I think everyone here who knows you at all always knew you were a mutant! To have science confirm this...... PRICELESS!

Best to you, brother!

Emjaysmash
03-05-2010, 08:45 AM
suhweet! I'm glad to know they are finally figuring out whats going on, and that you have a little more peace of mind.

As for snuffs and nicotine, I;d also suggest Toques Quit! (http://nicotinerush.com/toque-30/10g-tins-32/toque-quit-10g-tin-254.html) snuff and McChrystal's S'Nuff (http://nicotinerush.com/mcchrystals-17/mcchrystal-s-s-nuff-4-4g-35.html)(Aka Smokers Blend) for those with high nicotine. I haven't tried either of them, but I'm sure they are worth a shot. Stay healthy, Brother!

G G
03-05-2010, 08:47 AM
One more step in the right direction Scott.:tu

hotreds
03-05-2010, 08:49 AM

Too much nicotine?

shilala
03-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Well that's interesting.

I knew you'd like it. You're vested in this stuff.
Dunno about fixing that. It's kinda infinately more interesting spelled wrong. :D
See, Hugh didn't even notice. :r

shilala
03-05-2010, 09:07 AM
That's very interesting. Have you tried Swedish snus?
Does a cat have an ass? lol
Yup, all of them. They don't have any oomph to them. I imagine some of the real Swiss stuff might, I've only tried the domestic stuff for girls.

wayner123
03-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Does a cat have an ass? lol
Yup, all of them. They don't have any oomph to them. I imagine some of the real Swiss stuff might, I've only tried the domestic stuff for girls.

Yeah, you should try the real Swiss snus. MUCH different than the domestic blends/brands. The uptake on the Snus is cleaner and would probably give you better results than snuff. Plus the added benefit of no spitting.

MedicCook
03-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Glad to hear they are getting a better idea on what is going on Scott. Continued positive thoughts sent buddy.

mariogolbee
03-05-2010, 09:48 AM
"Plus I'm a mutant. Fear me.":r

I'm glad you found out what's going on. It seems like the nicotine fairy has had it's eye on you for some time now.

longknocker
03-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Great News, Scott! Maybe Cigars Are Good For All Of Us!
We're All Inmates Of "The Asylum", Right?;)

68TriShield
03-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I knew you'd like it. You're vested in this stuff.
Dunno about fixing that. It's kinda infinately more interesting spelled wrong. :D
See, Hugh didn't even notice. :r

hehehe okay :r

replicant_argent
03-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Welcome, we all have a lot to learn.
http://wfp51744.w1.com/xavierschool.jpg

Mugen910
03-05-2010, 10:17 AM
This is a bit sciencey and wordy, so I'll summarize first.
They finally figured out what's wrong with me, almost. It's real close, and is one of 20 or 30 rare muscular related genetic missense mutations that are all much the same, with small differences. It's been narrowed down to 3, pretty much. We just have to mess around a bit to figure out exactly which it is, then test for it specifically. (That's just eight tubes of blood for more genetic testing.)
Nicotine plays a large part in fixing it. It's probably why I've been chewing snuff and tobacco since I was 8.

Here's the cool stuff...
My problem is that little channels that carry electrical signals to the muscles don't work right. They don't open and close correctly.
Then the wrong substances come from the cells, in the wrong amounts. Certain amounts of potassium or sodium should enter that channel, and those two things are what regulates the electrical current. I have a mutation that causes those two things to be all goofy.
The cool part is that those channels are called Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors. The reason they are called that is because ingested nicotine will make them run like they should.
As my problems have progressed, I've naturally amped my nicotine intake to 2 cans of snuff a day, smoking lots of cigars, and now I've added sniffing snuff.
Odd part is, I've done it all mindlessly. I also slow way down on my intake when I feel good.

What it boils down to is that if I had not been using tobacco wildly for the last 35 years, I'd be in a heck of a lot worse shape than I am now.
Amazing, right?
Plus I'm a mutant. Fear me. :D

So what your saying is that your super power is the ability to take in tons of nicotine??!?! You sound like a villian to me...stay away from my humis! :D Be well brother..

shilala
03-05-2010, 10:32 AM
So what your saying is that your super power is the ability to take in tons of nicotine??!?! You sound like a villian to me...stay away from my humis! :D Be well brother..
Well there's that, and my incredible staying power.
Beats starting fires with my eyes, and I'm way more popular this way. :tu

shilala
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
One of you old guys might have to explain staying power to the college boy. Should have thought of that...

Mugen910
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Well there's that, and my incredible staying power.
Beats starting fires with my eyes, and I'm way more popular this way. :tu
That's what he said!!!! :r

But think...you'll never need to worry about losing a ronson with the ability to start fires! :r

CigarNut
03-05-2010, 10:34 AM
This is very interesting Scott -- good to hear that your "hobby" is keeping you healthier -- that is one for the record books!

I take it from your comments that this is inherited? If so, what are the chances that Rebekeh will have this problem?

I'm sure you were joking earlier in your note about introducing her to cigars at 13, but maybe that's not so far fetched an idea...

Razorhog
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Glad you're a step closer to figuring it out! Smoke up! :ss

shilala
03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
This is very interesting Scott -- good to hear that your "hobby" is keeping you healthier -- that is one for the record books!

I take it from your comments that this is inherited? If so, what are the chances that Rebekeh will have this problem?

I'm sure you were joking earlier in your note about introducing her to cigars at 13, but maybe that's not so far fetched an idea...
Heck no, Michael. I'm not much of a "children are special flowers" guy. Goog has tried my cigars in the past. I let her try anything she wants. I'd far rather have her learn everything from me and get the facts to make her own decision, rather than learn from retarded 13 year olds like I did.
Fortunately she's way smarter than me and makes good decisions. I suppose it's easier when you have all the information. :)

Yes, it's inherited, and it's laterally transmitted. It doesn't need to be expressed, though. There's an autosomal dominant type and a recessive type.
My grandpa had this. I took care of him for lots of years, as did my brother, so I knew his disease really well. He was diagnosed with MS. So was I. I had MS for three years and knew it was a misdiagnosis because my symptoms didn't remotely fit. Add to that, I didn't respond to anything. That's why I've kept chasing this thing, and let the doctors torture me so much.

In order to find out what this is exactly, I have to do the drug trials. The one I'm taking now is used for this disorder and all those that are closely connected. If I respond, we can do the genetic testing, and voila. If I don't respond, I just to switch to one of two other drugs.
The cincher here is that I've had every test known to mankind. This particular syndrome has a few real catches. Two complications are pneumonia and chronic joint cramps. I've had pneumonia twice and have been plagued with joint rpoblems all my life. Add to that, I have low potassium, low testosterone, and low vitamin D, and all the associated symptoms, and we pretty much have the nail hit on the head.
It's just gonna take a little time with the meds now.
Once that's done, I can simply take Goog for a blood test. If her symptoms ever worsen, she can easily get taken care of. (She has many of them already, has since she was born.)
Fortunately this thing takes a long time to become a big bother. She's got lots of good years ahead, and by the time it becomes an issue, they'll probably be able to put her in a telphone booth and flash her and make her healthy. :tu

aich75013
03-05-2010, 11:20 AM
It sounds like that trip to the doctor was worth it!

taltos
03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
So I should feel no guilt when I avenge the Man of God from Wisconsin and also pay you back for exchanges that we have had in the past. Seems like it is just good for your health. Watch for a couple of boxes hidden in my next shipment of cigar bands.:D:pn

CEC_Tech
03-05-2010, 04:58 PM
My friend, it's time to get you up on Capitol Hill. You can be the poster boy for cigar rights!!!

Jack Straw
03-05-2010, 05:04 PM
That's interesting. So basically you're a super hero, and your power is that you have to smoke cigars? :D

DPD6030
03-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Good news Scott. I picture you with a dip in your mouth while smoking a cigar and snuffing at the same time. See your power is multi-tasking to make a better life for you :D