PDA

View Full Version : Tips On Running a Cigar Bar For Parties

Northern Lights
03-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Hello all,

I recently had a bit of an entrepreneurial epiphany today that combines a hobby I am passionate about with my major in school. I would like to cater cigars at parties and events. Just like people have martini bars for hire at social events, I thought it would be pretty cool to start a cigar bar in the same niche. I realize I need to obtain a license for the retail of tobacco in bulk which I am already on top of. I live in Canada and definitely have the right demographic around me.

So I turn to you fellow smokers and retailers. I am a youngin in the cigar world and though I have sufficient knowledge of cigars and the way the industry works, I was hoping some of you more experienced could help me out and share some information. It would be much appreciated.

Happy Smokin' EH?:tu

Ferrari5180
03-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Good luck with your endeavors fellow Canadian.

MortonMilo
03-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Genius idea, wish there was a cigar catering company around my area!

GWN
03-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Depending which province you live in, you may be limited to outdoor affairs. I'd say golf tournaments may be a niche you may consider exploring.

shilala
03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Congratulations on your new venture, Ryan!!!
What kind of information would you like the guys to share?
I immediately thought "In God we Trust, all others pay cash", but I didn't know if that's the sort of thing you're after. ;)

Eagle53
03-03-2010, 06:20 PM
In Florida and especially Tampa and Miami you can hire a gentleman of cuban decent to handroll cigars for guests at parties. It is very entertaining for guests.

Kreth
03-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Seems like you'd run afoul of indoor smoking bans. Do the Canadian laws allow for temporary smoking licenses?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bax
03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I've had a couple friends include a cigar roller at thier wedding. Might be another venue to check out. They may not let you smoke them right there, but it's a cool take home gift IMHO!

G G
03-03-2010, 06:51 PM
"In God we Trust, all others pay cash" ;)
Scott is smart.:tu

Northern Lights
03-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the comments so far guys. I'm taking all this into account. I'm really liking the golf tournament idea. I'm thinking that could generate a lot of good business. I have looked into laws and such today and I would have to be outdoors unless it is residential. But that's ok, we're Canadian, we always deal with the cold. Keep the ideas coming fellas. They are all appreciated.

captain53
03-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Scott is smart.:tu

Yep that is good advice. :tu

I don't know too much about Canadian Weddings but I have been to a couple of mega $ weddings that had cigar bars/rollers and they were a big hit.:2

maninblack
03-04-2010, 06:33 PM
This would be a dream job if not for those damn smoking bans.

Razorhog
03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Wow, what a brave idea. I think the live rolling would be a big hit at parties. You'd always want to consider your audience and choose price points to match. Also, it would be awesome to coordinate with the catering/beverage service company to make up a menu of which cigars pair up with certain food and drinks. A lot of people that buy cigars at events do it on a whim, and they might end up buying a cigar that is out of their league. My suggestion would be to arrange the cigars in sections according to strength. Each section might then be sorted according to price.