PDA

View Full Version : NC recommendations for while I'm in the States?

D. Generate
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I smoked NCs for years before my first Habano. In the last 5 or 6 years I started to get more and more into Habanos and spent less time with non-Cubans. In the past 3 years since moving to London, I've smoked five non-Cuban cigars largely due to the crazy prices of them here.

Now I'm going home to visit and will hit up some of the locals for a few that I did enjoy. I liked Padrons, particularly the 1964s but think I only ever tried one 1926. I liked the Camachos I tried recently as well.

Should I just pick up a few Padron Anniversaries and Camachos or is there something else that I should really check out?

D. Generate
03-01-2010, 02:01 PM
No Nubs, please.

wayner123
I would say try any of Don Pepin Garcia's lines. As well as any of the Illusione's. The Oliva V's are tasty as well.

pnoon
Esencia.

ir13
03-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Esencia.

Agreed, This is one tasty NC

Beer Doctor
03-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Illusione

D. Generate
03-01-2010, 02:07 PM
I have heard lots of good things over the years about Don Pepin Garcia, but I never tried one. Will definitely look for some.

I did have an Oliva V and liked it but can't remember the flavour now. I also had one, unless it's the same cigar, that had the leaf laser-etched with their logo.

Ilusiones I have heard of but never tried. Will read up on them.

Never heard of the Esencia. Off to google now. ;^)

papichulo
03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I agree Illusione MK, Pepin My Father Cedros Deluxe and Liga T-52. Of course the Padron 45th! The whole 26 the 64 lines are awesome too!

Bax
03-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Personally I love VSG. :tu

thebiglebowski
03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
tatuajae brown labels and anything by litto gomez

D. Generate
03-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the tips, everyone. Will definitely be checking out the Illusiones as I'll be going to FUMARE in Reno and they seem to be Dion's baby.

Will see what else from the recommends are available locally and then might consider trying to find a few fivers online.

Uflbassin
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Just off the top of my head...

Cruzado
Tatuaje SW (and almost anything else Tat)
Padron anniversary 1964 (personally I like it more than the 1926)
La Flor Dominicana double ligero
Any of the My Father line
And pretty much anything else blended by Don Pepin :tu

Razorhog
03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I have limited experience with "fine" cigars, but from my experience, I'd strongly suggest San Cristobal. A Nicaraguan puro blended by Jose Pepin Garcia for Ashton, it is a great smoke with fantastic flavors and construction.

Kreth
03-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Anything by AJ Fernandez. There's a thread around here somewhere started by some noob. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

beamish
03-02-2010, 09:39 AM
tat, hermosos...:tu

Don Fernando
03-02-2010, 09:46 AM
I did have an Oliva V and liked it but can't remember the flavour now. I also had one, unless it's the same cigar, that had the leaf laser-etched with their logo.

No, that is the masterblend.

mosesbotbol
03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Try a mixture of Davidoff products including Avo. Price will be very attractive compared to UK.

ucla695
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I'd try Tatuaje brown label, Cabiguan and some Opus.

D. Generate
03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm officially spoilt for choice. Thanks, all.

D. Generate
03-06-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm in Reno now, fat on Mexican food and dumb on microbrewed IPAs so I'm happy. Picked up a few cigars at Fumare and smoked an Illusione 68. It's a perfectly constructed cigar with a very nice flavour that is definitely in line with my tastes.

My only slight criticism is that it was pretty straightforward from start to finish. I do like cigars that evolve and develop as I'm smoking them which is something I find in many Habanos but not in NCs. It might be that I was looking too deeply for something that isn't there; it is after all, a small cigar and I never criticise a Parti Short for not having enough 'nuance'.

All in all it struck me as a beautifully made cigar that was a bit of a one-trick pony, but with such a good trick, that's hardly a negative.

Picked up some Tatuajes both brown and red, some Oliva O, some DPG and Illusiones. Looking forward to trying a few more and will likely pick up a box of whatever tickles my fancy the most while I have the opportunity.

Thanks for the heads up on these.

NCRadioMan
03-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Welcome back to the states, Dale! For the record, the Brown label Tat Regios is the most complex nc I have ever encountered.

tx_tuff
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I think the Illuisone 88 is the best size, but everybody is different. Hope you picked up some larger size Illusione and not just the 68. I know you have already picked out your cigars but if you make it by another shop try out the Padilla Miami Robusto. Its a great Nicaraguan puro and made in the same factory as the Illusione.

NCRadioMan
03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Its a great Nicaraguan puro and made in the same factory as the Illusione.

Not any more. The Padilla is made in the Padilla factory in Miami. They were only made in Honduras for a short time while the factory was built.

tx_tuff
03-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Not any more. The Padilla is made in the Padilla factory in Miami. They were only made in Honduras for a short time while the factory was built.

My understanding is he doesn't have his rollers yet, and if he does he just got them recent, so the ones on the shelves are not from his Miami factory. Besides even if they are its still the same blend from Fernandez no matter where its rolled.

NCRadioMan
03-09-2010, 04:09 PM
My understanding is he doesn't have his rollers yet, and if he does he just got them recent, so the ones on the shelves are not from his Miami factory. Besides even if they are its still the same blend from Fernandez no matter where its rolled.

Too bad it's not the Pepin blend that put them on the map. Can't give the new ones away at the shop.

tx_tuff
03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I love the new Miami in the Robusto size, can't get enough. Problem is its not the Pepin blend as you said, people are bias because of that. I would be more then honored to have a cigar coming from Tabacalera Tropical factory!

NCRadioMan
03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I love the new Miami in the Robusto size, can't get enough. Problem is its not the Pepin blend as you said, people are bias because of that. I would be more then honored to have a cigar coming from Tabacalera Tropical factory!

I agree, they are good. Just not what many have come to expect. I love the Mombacho Thermonuclear made by Tropical.

tx_tuff
03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
I agree, they are good. Just not what many have come to expect. I love the Mombacho Thermonuclear made by Tropical.

Have you smoked the Casa Fernandez Arsenio, if you buy by the 10 count box its like $4.50 a stick and damn good!

NCRadioMan
03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
No, but I have heard good things. May have to check it out.

Texan in Mexico
03-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Smart man...

I agree Illusione MK, Pepin My Father Cedros Deluxe and Liga T-52. Of course the Padron 45th! The whole 26 the 64 lines are awesome too!
Posted via Mobile Device

D. Generate
03-09-2010, 10:18 PM
I smoked a Tatuaje brown label and another Illusione tonight. The Tatuaje was damned nice. While I at first thought the Illusione wasn't doing it for me, it really grew on me. I don't think it's as complex as the Tatuaje, but it did make me think I will buy some more before I go.

I'm enjoying exploring the 'forbidden fruit' for me. These either aren't available or are prohibitively expensive in London.