PDA

View Full Version : What do you smoke at herfs?

Emjaysmash
03-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm wondering if you b/sotl set aside cigars specifically for herfing, or do you just grab what you're in the mood for and go? Is it only NCs, CCs, or both? Are they HTF/Special sticks or just regularly produced favorites?

I myself have been thinking about what to smoke come next herf time (probably not until summer). I set aside an Opus X, Mag 50, Tat Drac, and a Tat Black tubo simply for the sake of smoking at a herf. I most often find myself bringing one HTF NC along with (what I consider) "Special-er" sticks (Oliva V Lanceros, Tat J21s, or Cabaiguans for example- cigars I do not normally smoke but are fairly regularly produced). I often leave my "everyday go-to" sticks at home because I think herfing deserves some extra ordinary cigars.

Anyone else do this?

ScottishSmoker
03-01-2010, 01:20 PM
I smoke cigars at herfs....If people at herfs are going too judge you for not smoking rare things...the herf is not going too be all that fun...be happy with what you have, if you have a favorite everyday smoke, bring them along...who knows, you may end up turning someone else on to them...

maninblack
03-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah I don't care if it's a rare smoke or not, I take what I like and what I think someone else will like. If I can turn them onto something new, then great, if not oh well. I just wanna smoke and have a good time with fellow cigar nuts.

Emjaysmash
03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I smoke cigars at herfs....If people at herfs are going too judge you for not smoking rare things...the herf is not going too be all that fun...be happy with what you have, if you have a favorite everyday smoke, bring them along...who knows, you may end up turning someone else on to them...

I dont mean bringing HTF cigar for the sake of impressing people, I just mean that herfs bring a specific atmosphere about them, and I like smoking a special cigar to make it "more special".

J0eybb
03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I would bring what I have. That being said, I mostly have inexpensive cigars that came as samplers.

nyisles
03-01-2010, 01:27 PM
I usually light up a white owl grape to see if anyone judges me. If not, I toss it and light up something good. If people judge me I make an early exit.

Seriously though I know a few people who load up their travel humidors with ultra rare sticks to show off. Blows my mind. Never bring super special stuff to a herf because people trade sticks left and right.

I bring stuff I like so if a BOTL gives me a cigar I can give him something I know I like back.

eber
03-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I like to bring some sticks that I wouldn't smoke everyday, not to be impressive but because I, like the OP, think it is a sort-of special occasion so I bring cigars accordingly

Emjaysmash
03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I also must add that most CCs I bring (even regular production ones) are special to me and are chosen as "special sticks" for herfs, mostly becuase I have limited CC experience.

mmblz
03-01-2010, 01:40 PM
cigars.

Powers
03-01-2010, 01:40 PM
I dont mean bringing HTF cigar for the sake of impressing people, I just mean that herfs bring a specific atmosphere about them, and I like smoking a special cigar to make it "more special".

I get what ya mean. I bring a little bit of everything. I definetly but aside about one hyped/"special" stick per day of the herf to both add to the event's uniqueness and share w/friends. I also bring my go-to sea-gars as well

:ss

adampc22
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM
will tell u after the march amsterdam herf lol

Whee
03-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I bring what I like to smoke. I usually smoke like a chimney at herfs, so I bring stuff I know I like and will smoke. Will bring a case of "stuff" to hand out, return gift favors etc.

AD720
03-01-2010, 01:47 PM
I bring out the good stuff for herfs. A herf is definitely a special occasion for me. I also bring the "go-to" sticks, stuff I know I'm going to enjoy. A good cigar becomes an excellent cigar with the right company.

Whee
03-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I suppose to it depends on the type of herf you are attending.

Is an annual event? A monthly or weekly get together with the crew?

I based my answer on the monthly get togethers. But I suppose if I was going to a "special herf", Socal, Shack Epic...i might find some of the other stuff and bring it along.

McSmokey
03-01-2010, 01:58 PM

:tpd:

massphatness
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
My "everyday" smokes tend not to make it into the herfador. I see herfs as a time to relax and maybe smoke a stick or two I wouldn't normally otherwise -- an RE or an EL, for example -- plus it gives me an opportunity to share a really good cigar via a PPP. Doesn't mean the stick is HTF, just that it's not something I smoke a lot of during the course of the year.

Emjaysmash
03-01-2010, 02:23 PM
My "everyday" smokes tend not to make it into the herfador. I see herfs as a time to relax and maybe smoke a stick or two I wouldn't normally otherwise -- an RE or an EL, for example -- plus it gives me an opportunity to share a really good cigar via a PPP. Doesn't mean the stick is HTF, just that it's not something I smoke a lot of during the course of the year.

Those sticks are what I label "special"- something that is not in your normal rotation.

bobarian
03-01-2010, 02:37 PM
It would depend on the herf. For normal one day herfs, I might smoke an EL or Regional as my first smoke. Especially if it is a big smoke as I usually dont like to smoke DC's or salamones for a everyday stick. Most likely though it will be a normal production mild or medium CC. Probably smoke 2 more CC's in progression saving a Boli or Partagas for the last CC. Then I move to full bodied NC's as my palate is pretty much blown out after smoking 3 larger CC's in a row. For a normal herf 3 NC's is about my limit. Then back to less expensive CC's like a JLP or an inexpensive Partagas. Trying at this point to back down on the nic. That's about 6-8 smokes for a normal 8-10hour herf. :2

Addiction
03-01-2010, 02:39 PM
My answer is actually both regular and HTF/Special CCs. I always like to have a little something nice for a ppp. But I herf a lot so when me, Matt, Brian or Jkim get together (easily at least once a week, sometimes as many as three times) We're all happy to pass whatever we have.

I also don't smoke more than 5 cigars a day, I find that by the fifth my palette is pretty shot.

Scottw
03-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Gotta go with Vin on this one. Well put.

SilverFox
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I have enjoyed everything from a JLP Petite Caz to a Cohiba Esplendido Seleccion Reserva and everything in between.

I only said CC as I don't smoke NC's.

Beyond that I smoke what I want....................that and I have be given the opportunity to smoke many a great cigars gifted by great BOTL at herfs

68TriShield
03-01-2010, 03:29 PM
If I have some special or HTF cigars, I will usually bring them to a herf.
Having that stuff doesn't happen too often though.

Eggopp
03-01-2010, 03:34 PM
So really silly question here.... whats HTF stand for? If im herfing i will smoke anything, whatever ive got at the time. I tend to keep my CC's for when im either in exceptional company or at home. Ive started to collect a few nice CC's ready for the summer when it becomes BBQ season.:ss

St. Lou Stu
03-01-2010, 03:37 PM
So really silly question here.... whats HTF stand for? If im herfing i will smoke anything, whatever ive got at the time. I tend to keep my CC's for when im either in exceptional company or at home. Ive started to collect a few nice CC's ready for the summer when it becomes BBQ season.:ss

Hard To Find

tedrodgerscpa
03-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I think it's very much herf-dependent.

At Shack, I loaded up my herfidor with the 'tedrodgerscpa' EL's, as that's typically the culture there. I bring out stuff I've been saving up for a very special occasion, or things that I think others might like to try but don't get the opportunity to.

At our semi-annual PSHC herfs (vanderherf, Lake Greenwood), I like to bring out the stuff I'm not saving for Shack

At our weekly herfs, it's usually what I'm currently smoking, or rarer NCs that I'd like to share with someone else.

If I anticipate a heavy poker night, I usually pick out those churchills or other run o' the mill sticks that I'm only focusing on second to the game.

Eggopp
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Cheers for that Tim.... HTF = Hard to find.. different accronims everywhere you look lol :su

icehog3
03-01-2010, 04:38 PM
CCs for me, both regular stuff and HTF stuff. The only NCs I have smoked at herfs the last couple years have been in the Punishment-Puff-Pass at the Shack. The lone quality exception I can recall is an Esencia at SoCalX.

pnoon
03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
As an answer to the thread title, "Come herf with me and find out." ;)

icehog3
03-01-2010, 04:48 PM
As an answer to the thread title, "Come herf with me and find out." ;)

Bring a clothes pin. ;)

pnoon
03-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Bring a clothes pin. ;)

Did anyone ever tell you you're a douchebag? :D

chenvt
03-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't see an option for marlboro lights, so I picked the last one

chenvt
03-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Did anyone ever not tell you you're a douchebag? :D

fixed

icehog3
03-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Did anyone ever tell you you're a douchebag? :D

My fourth grade girlfriend, Mary Ellen Rottencrotch. :)

chenvt
03-01-2010, 05:23 PM
My fourth grade girlfriend, Mary Ellen Rottencrotch. :)

And his 5th grade through the age of 40, Palmela Handerson :r

icehog3
03-01-2010, 05:27 PM
And his 5th grade through the age of 40, Palmela Handerson :r

I'll put my resume up against anyone's, Smart Guy. ;) :r

chenvt
03-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I'll put my resume up against anyone's, Smart Guy. ;) :r

Tiger Woods called, he wants his resume back

icehog3
03-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Tiger Woods called, he wants his resume back

Him too. :r

kelmac07
03-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Whatever I am feeling like...or been dying to try. Everything is fair game on herf day. :tu

chenvt
03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Him too. :r

:np

icehog3
03-01-2010, 05:32 PM
:np

I would get banned. :r

DBall
03-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I bring about 50-80 cigars broken up into 2 or 3 singles of most things I have... also, I bring out the rare/htf stuff I have. I love starting PPPs (even if it's only me contributing to it) just so people can try stuff they may not have ever had before. To me, sharing cigars and cigar experiences is the best part of smoking and collecting. :tu

Oh... forgot to answer the other part of this. It's usually all CCs, because that is 97+% of my collection

TripleF
03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Great topic M.J. :tu

I like to bring the harder to find sticks and use them as gifts, of course none are cc's. :D

I smoke some of the hard to find stufff as well.

The anticipation of the herf is climaxed by enjoying the best cigar you can!!

-

CasaDooley
03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
I pack up CC's cause it's what I like to smoke and I bring extras to pass out. If I have HTF sticks I'll bring some for PPP and if I know someone likes a certain NC and I have some buried old stock I bring em also to pass out.
I don't agonize over what to bring, I just wanna Herf with old and new friends when the opportunity arises!:ss

Smokin Gator
03-01-2010, 06:52 PM
As others have said, it kinda depends on the herf. When we get together for a "regular" herf I don't really think about pulling out the HTF stuff. However, if someone says something and I have it then it is on.

For bigger herfs I will bring more and gauge what may trip my trigger or someone else's. For me it is all about smoking what I want to smoke and giving someone else what they may want to smoke be it a NC or CC.

That being said, I would have a hard time naming a smoke that wasn't enjoyable (even if it was in a negative way) in the company of my BOTL's (and SOTL's)!!

kelmac07
03-01-2010, 06:54 PM
As others have said, it kinda depends on the herf. When we get together for a "regular" herf I don't really think about pulling out the HTF stuff. However, if someone says something and I have it then it is on.

For bigger herfs I will bring more and gauge what may trip my trigger or someone else's. For me it is all about smoking what I want to smoke and giving someone else what they may want to smoke be it a NC or CC.

That being said, I would have a hard time naming a smoke that wasn't enjoyable (even if it was in a negative way) in the company of my BOTL's (and SOTL's)!!

Well said Brent!! :tu

icehog3
03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I don't agonize over what to bring, I just wanna Herf with old and new friends when the opportunity arises!:ss

Great point, Kevin....Years ago I use to spend hours trying to figure out what to bring to each herf.....Now I know that any cigar shared with or gifted by friends is just fine. :tu

issues
03-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I try to bring a good representation of my collection and if I have some premiums or HTFs they are probably going to be coming along as well.

RevSmoke
03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
I bring whatever it is that I want to smoke out of my humidor. So, however the mood strikes me that day is what I bring.

I will also bring some stuff to trade, or something in particular for someone I know will be there, something I know they have been wanting to try.

Also, if I have it, something special for a PPP - it may be special as in a rarity, or something special as, "it's supposedly so bad, I don't want to suffer through this alone," or maybe an extra large cigar, as I don't normally want to spend 3 hours on one stick at a herf, but passing it means I get a few puffs and it doesn't get old.

Personally though, the herf is to spend time with friends, and so my normal smokes are extra special at a herf.

Whee
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
I bring whatever it is that I want to smoke out of my humidor. So, however the mood strikes me that day is what I bring.

I will also bring some stuff to trade, or something in particular for someone I know will be there, something I know they have been wanting to try.

Also, if I have it, something special for a PPP - it may be special as in a rarity, or something special as, "it's supposedly so bad, I don't want to suffer through this alone," or maybe an extra large cigar, as I don't normally want to spend 3 hours on one stick at a herf, but passing it means I get a few puffs and it doesn't get old.

Personally though, the herf is to spend time with friends, and so my normal smokes are extra special at a herf.

Do you at least lead the herfers through the 23rd Psalm before subjecting them to that.;)

RevSmoke
03-02-2010, 07:31 AM

Do you at least lead the herfers through the 23rd Psalm before subjecting them to that.;)

Cute, I like that.

We have had a couple cigars at different herfs at which we did this, "misery loves company." I forget who, but there is a regular attendee at our Northwoods WI herfs who has a candela that we have decided we will PPP so taht we can all say we tried one. If one person smokes a bad cigar, they can say they've tried one - if we PPP it, then we can all say we've tried it. It also allows for discussion about specifics as to why it is so bad.

klipsch
03-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Depends on the environment more than the size of the herf for me. My first herf last summer taught me that too much activity around me distracts me from enjoying my sticks to the fullest. I'm meeting people I've known on line for the first time. The relationships are more important to me than what I'm smoking. For me...from personal experience, lighting up something I've been looking forward to smoking is a waste. The bigger the herf, the more common the stick.

Now on the flip side of that. When I was at Vin's herf last summer, it was outdoors and it was really a relaxed environment. It was perfect smoking conditions. I would've lit anything I had been looking forward too.

With three herfs behind me now and the Nerf coming up this weekend...I'm pretty sure what I'm going to be smoking this Saturday.

shilala
03-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Good question, MJ.
I smoke whatever. I will try to bring some odd stuff to share, whether it be puff, puff, pass or just something I want the guys to try.

RevSmoke
03-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Good question, MJ.
I smoke whatever. I will try to bring some odd stuff to share, whether it be puff, puff, pass or just something I want the guys to try.

And if he can't herf with you, he just bombs you with them so that you can take them to a herf and PPP them with others. :D

Emjaysmash
03-08-2010, 06:04 AM
And if he can't herf with you, he just bombs you with them so that you can take them to a herf and PPP them with others. :D

Sharing is caring! Especially when YOU'RE the recipient! :ss

:D

RevSmoke
03-08-2010, 06:08 AM

Sharing is caring! Especially when YOU'RE the recipient! :ss

:D

I see these two from Shilala being smoked as PPPs at a future herf.
a Garcia Vega Senator from 1940, a Spanish Crook wine dipped - barrel aged 1950-1960s,

Emjaysmash
03-08-2010, 06:11 AM
I see these two from Shilala being smoked as PPPs at a future herf.
a Garcia Vega Senator from 1940, a Spanish Crook wine dipped - barrel aged 1950-1960s,

It's excitement like this that makes me wanna herf! I'll just skip class and drive 2 1/2 hours for a smoke. lol

We should do a Punishment Pass too, like at Shack. I have a cremosa that needs smoking... lol

Skywalker
03-08-2010, 07:37 AM
I smoke stuff I was saving for a special occasion, because a Herf is a special occasion!
Herfs are more about the people, cigars are secondary!!!