PDA

View Full Version : Joya de Nicaragua Cabinetta Serie No. 7

OHRD
03-01-2010, 06:29 AM
http://www.toastedfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/JoyadeNicaragua-401x425.jpg

Size: 6×50, Toro (No. 7)

Wrapper: Ecuadorian with added Nicaraguan Criollo upper

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Mild-Medium

Price: Box of 24, $145

Grade: 9.3

Joya de Nicaragua, S.A. are well known for their Antano line of cigars and the newly released Antano Dark Corojo; most of JdN’s releases are full-bodied, but not so with the Cabinetta Serie, another new release. The Cabinetta is a mild-medium bodied cigar that utilizes an Ecuadorian and Nicaraguan Criollo wrapper; the Ecuadorian wraps the entire cigar while the Criollo is placed atop the Ecuadorian for the top inch and a half or so.

The Cabinetta is being distributed by Drew Estate, who took over the distribution rights to the United States in 2008, which was formerly held by SAG Imports. DE has taken a more concentrated approach to releasing the cigar and has abstained from a national release. The cigar was originally released in Spring ’09, though DE chose not to display it at IPCPR. The Cabinetta is currently available at only 75 tobacconists and the availability will slowly continue through 2010.

The Cabinetta is sold in boxes of 24 and available in the following sizes:

Cabinetta Serie No. 2: Belicoso 6 x 54, $6.55/ea.
Cabinetta Serie No. 4: Robusto 5 x 52, $5.55/ea.
Cabinetta Serie No. 7: Toro 6 x 50, $6.05/ea.
Cabinetta Serie No. 11: Corona Gorda 5 ¼ x 46, $5.05/ea.

From the press release, Alejandro Martinez Cuenca notes that Joya de Nicaragua “have always been known for creating full flavored, full bodied cigars in our Antaño line. I found that there was a demand for a cigar that the consumer could smoke at any time of day. Because of that, we’ve created the Cabinetta Serie; this cigar was exactly what we were looking for, something that’s not too strong, but still has that distinct Nicaraguan flavor profile. This cigar is almost always my first of every day.”

To learn more about Joya de Nicaragua, be sure to check them out online. So, enough of that, on to the toast!

http://www.toastedfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/JoyadeNicaragua2-300x204.jpg

Pre-light, 1.8:
Without a doubt, the JdN Cabinetta was an eye catcher; this double wrapped Ecuadorian and Nicaraguan Criollo stick demanded my attention immediately. The dark upper complemented the almond shade lower perfectly, with a classy burgundy, crème, and gold band dividing the two wrappers. This stick had minimal veins and the Criollo was perfectly aligned. Both the upper and lower wrapper had a leathery, aged quality, which helped merge the two wrappers. The stick was double capped and showed no soft spots with excellent construction. The pre-light aroma was very sweet and reminded me of hazelnut, with some background notes of hay. The draw was fine and the flavor was more barnyard with some sweetness on the lips from the Criollo wrapper.

Burn, 1.8:
The JdN toasted quickly and evenly and had a steady burn throughout. The burn line remained razor sharp and never required any touchups or relights. The draw was consistent but at times required a bit of attention to keep a thick billow. The smoke had a very sweet aroma and filled the garage quickly. The ash was a bit dirty but very solid and had a nice hold through the entire smoke; each time I knocked it off myself. As the burn reached the Criollo wrapper, there was no effect on the burn, which I had some concern about.

Flavor, 2.8:
This is where the JdN really shined for me. I prefer milder cigars with shots of cream and complexity and the Cabinetta delivered. The flavor for the first third was predominately mixed nuts, with flavors of cashews, almonds, and sweet hazelnut. There was also background notes of hay. The transitions throughout this smoke were subtle but noticeable. The second third brought an increase in the barnyard notes; the nuttiness faded some but the cream stayed around, though not as strong. The final third brought a return to the nutty flavors, though it was less mixed and primarily a very creamy hazelnut. This was one of the most flavorful mild cigars I’ve had. I also didn’t receive some of the typical earthy Nicaraguan flavors, which was surprising.

Overall, 2.9:
I am excited about adding this smoke to my rotation; it will be a great 30th birthday present, even if I have to give it to myself! The Criollo upper added some enjoyment to this smoke, as I anticipated the ash working its way toward it. With the solid construction, consistent burn, and flavor powerhouse, the JdN Cabinetta is an excellent cigar and well worth the $6 price tag for the Toro. An added bonus is a Robusto at $5.50 and a Corona Gorda at $5. If you come across this cigar go ahead and pick several up, you will not regret it. I hope Drew Estate increase their distribution as I’d like to start hearing what more folks have to say.

(Total: 9.3)

dannysguitar
03-01-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm with you on this. I smoked 1 on the links the other day and I really enjoyed it. I think I enjoyed it more than the Oliva Connie that I smoke pretty often. Thanks for the review!

neoflex
03-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Nice review. Was nice here on Saturday and the wife was doing lunch and a movie with friends so I decided to hit some of the local shops to see if they had these in yet. Still no luck and the fact that no one knew what I was talking about I am guessing it will be a while. Looking forward to trying them.

OHRD
03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Nice review. Was nice here on Saturday and the wife was doing lunch and a movie with friends so I decided to hit some of the local shops to see if they had these in yet. Still no luck and the fact that no one knew what I was talking about I am guessing it will be a while. Looking forward to trying them.

If you're ok w/ buying them online, Corona has them: http://www.coronacigar.com/products/joya-de-nicaragua-cabinetta.html

OHRD
03-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm with you on this. I smoked 1 on the links the other day and I really enjoyed it. I think I enjoyed it more than the Oliva Connie that I smoke pretty often. Thanks for the review!

I'm a huge Connecticut fan and this is by far my favorite, tons of flavor w/o all the overpowering body.

mariogolbee
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM

You won't be waiting too much longer. This I promise you.:D

neoflex
03-01-2010, 11:04 AM
You won't be waiting too much longer. This I promise you.:D
:< Your making me nervous brotha! Thanks for the link Matt!

TheRiddick
03-01-2010, 11:11 AM
RE: The Criollo upper added...

I made same mistake in identifying the wrappers. Criollo wrapper is the one underneath, Maduro colored one in the picture, showing last inch+. Ecuadorian (lighter color) is on top of it.

OHRD
03-01-2010, 11:28 AM
RE: The Criollo upper added...

I made same mistake in identifying the wrappers. Criollo wrapper is the one underneath, Maduro colored one in the picture, showing last inch+. Ecuadorian (lighter color) is on top of it.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong or misidentifying the colors, but here is what the press release says:

At first glance, you will notice the Cabinetta Serie features two wrappers, a top-grade Equadorian Shade which
covers its entire length with the head then finished in a second cover leaf of rich, Nicaraguan Criollo.

nyisles
03-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Great review buddy.. I reviewed this on my site as well. Our difference is on the notes.

I found it to be more woodsy then nutsy. And the spice to me was a nice cinnamon note. But this is semantics. The cigar is a definite winner.

OHRD
03-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Great review buddy.. I reviewed this on my site as well. Our difference is on the notes.

I found it to be more woodsy then nutsy. And the spice to me was a nice cinnamon note. But this is semantics. The cigar is a definite winner.

Barry! Glad to see you on CA brother!

TheRiddick
03-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Maybe I'm reading this wrong or misidentifying the colors, but here is what the press release says:
At first glance, you will notice the Cabinetta Serie features two wrappers, a top-grade Equadorian Shade which
covers its entire length with the head then finished in a second cover leaf of rich, Nicaraguan Criollo.

Oh, so I was right, after all, in my initial assessment? I was attacked for it in another thread.

OHRD
03-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh, so I was right, after all, in my initial assessment? I was attacked for it in another thread.

According to DE marketing rep, the Criollo is the darker wrapper and is placed on top of the Ecuadorian (lighter wrapper). The Ecuadorian covers the entire cigar, while the darker Criollo only covers the top inch and a half.

TheRiddick
03-01-2010, 01:48 PM
According to DE marketing rep, the Criollo is the darker wrapper and is placed on top of the Ecuadorian (lighter wrapper). The Ecuadorian covers the entire cigar, while the darker Criollo only covers the top inch and a half.

Its difficult to tell visually due to "lack" of seam. Its the darkest Criollo wrapper I have seen so far. And best tasting as well, I usually skip a cigar if it has a Criollo wrapper since I find it kind of "muted" and one dimensional (although love Illusione and Cruzado, go figure). This one definitely adds to the flavor with nice sweet and spicy notes, best part of the cigar IMO.

OHRD
03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree Criollo can be a bit mute; even on this stick there is hardly any aroma to the Criollo pre-light. But it does seem to add a very nice sweetness and creaminess to the mouth. Folks, if you see this one you should pick it up. The more I've talked about it today the more I want to go ahead and get me a box...

nyisles
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM
I agree Criollo can be a bit mute; even on this stick there is hardly any aroma to the Criollo pre-light. But it does seem to add a very nice sweetness and creaminess to the mouth. Folks, if you see this one you should pick it up. The more I've talked about it today the more I want to go ahead and get me a box...

Thankfully I was sent 5 of them from drew estate for review. I still got 2 left. :)

TheRiddick
03-01-2010, 02:36 PM

I do agree it is a really good cigar (although I disagree that it is on a mild side, I find it stronger than that, although not as strong as Antano line). Flavors are really nice and I am sure will only get more complex with some age.

OHRD
03-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Thankfully I was sent 5 of them from drew estate for review. I still got 2 left. :)

I'm w/ ya Barry; I've still got a few left too but they'll go fast!

Ratters
03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Nice review! :tu

I've had several of these and really enjoy them. Like Greg, I find the body to be on the full side of medium in the mouth, there's just not much strength to the cigar.

OHRD
03-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Nice review! :tu

I've had several of these and really enjoy them. Like Greg, I find the body to be on the full side of medium in the mouth, there's just not much strength to the cigar.

Yeah, thinking about it, your right Ratters; the strength was definitely mild/med, but the body and flavor would be medium+