PDA

View Full Version : Question for bird owners with cats

Darrell
02-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Long story short we are getting a bird tomorrow. The cage we picked out for him has nice tall legs, the cage is around 6 feet tall. Does anyone have any tips for keeping my dumbass cat away from him?

If he hurts my new bird, I'll feed him to the ****ing dog.

T.G
02-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Landmines.

gibson_es
02-25-2010, 11:21 PM
lemme tell you a story, and let from it what you will. i hat a parakeet, i bought a cage from him, the cage was made for a parakeet, i also had a cat, the bars on the cage were not big enough to hold the bird, though it was made for a parakeet, the bird got out. i could not find him, so i lit up my pipe, called my friend watson, and we did a search. found feathers. but that was all....2 weeks later i lost something under the couch, as i moved the couch to find what i had lost, i found my poor little parakeets head. the rest i assume was cat food.... double check the bars on your cage.

MedicCook
02-25-2010, 11:21 PM
This is all I can provide. It is of no help though, for that I am sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx43vcV2aX0

Emjaysmash
02-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Water gun. Spray the lil puss until he equates being near the cage with high velocity H2O. He'll stay away after that.

gibson_es
02-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Water gun. Spray the lil puss until he equates being near the cage with high velocity H2O. He'll stay away after that.

x2. my cat pissed on my guitar case (i no longer have a cat BTW) and so i stuck him in the shower and gave that little bugga a bath (he needed one anyway) i came out with 253245 cuts and he never did it again.

Neuromancer
02-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Many years ago I was a professional entertainer, a magician, and featured doves in my act...I had several, and also a couple of cats at the time...the cage I used for the doves was a large one and hung from a chain that went to a hook in the ceiling, like a swag lamp...the cats were always sitting under the cage dreaming and wishing, but there was no way they could get to the birds...eventually they gave up other than stopping by occasionally to watch the birds...on a further note I also had gerbils that I used for children's shows...one day the gerbils got out but they'd been around so long the cats just accepted them as part of the family, and when I came home I found they were basically playing with each other on the floor...neither of the cats even attempted to eat a gerbil...go figure...

gibson_es
02-26-2010, 12:05 AM
thanks for the welcom darrell, i hope you try puff again. if not. thats ok. your one of few good men on here.

adampc22
02-26-2010, 01:03 AM
a 5th dan ninja crab

floydpink
02-26-2010, 07:10 AM
I had an African Gray parrott who could more than defend himself by whacking anyone looking for trouble with a hook beak that would make Randy Couture cry.

shilala
02-26-2010, 07:57 AM
D, I had hundreds of birds at one time. Lots of cats, too.
Not once did any of the cats ever harm a bird, but it's because I always took time to introduce the cats to the birds.
Cats are really smart, despite the way they act. Just bring the cat to the bird, introduce them, make them friendly, and spend time with the cat and bird together.
Oddly enough, my cats knew the difference between the birds they were allowed to kill and the birds they weren't allowed to kill. I had a black cat that spent all day sleeping with my golden pheasants, hanging in the netting like a hammock.
I watched another one of my cats hunting tweety birds one day. She was totally intense. She bolted at the tweety bird when a mother hen and her chicks walked by. The cat put on the brakes, watched the hen and all her babies poass, then resumed the chase.
How they can make the distinction, I'll never know, but they do.
Just take some time with both of them together, and let the cat smell the bird and lick it and rub on it and stuff.
Don't try it with a rabbit, though. Doesn't work. ;)

landhoney
02-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Just bring the cat to the bird, introduce them, make them friendly, and spend time with the cat and bird together.

I don't know Darrell very well, but I can't picture him doing this. :r But then again I didn't picture him having a cat either? ;)

BTW, I have two cats. :D

shilala
02-26-2010, 09:11 AM
I don't know Darrell very well, but I can't picture him doing this. :r But then again I didn't picture him having a cat either? ;)

BTW, I have two cats. :D
It is kind of a stretch, but D's just a big softie.

Darrell
02-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Let the cat rub on the bird?

RightAJ
02-26-2010, 11:01 AM
How big is the bird? Larger ones can handle themselves, but a little guy might be a problem.

A friend of the family had a huge bird, 2 dogs, and a few cats all in the same house and the bird got so nervous it ripped all of its feathers out and now takes prozac... Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way but if it does, don't let the little guy be traumatized, give one of them away

aj

Darrell
02-26-2010, 11:10 AM
How big is the bird? Larger ones can handle themselves, but a little guy might be a problem.

A friend of the family had a huge bird, 2 dogs, and a few cats all in the same house and the bird got so nervous it ripped all of its feathers out and now takes prozac... Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way but if it does, don't let the little guy be traumatized, give one of them away

aj

He is a Conure.

I don't think trauma is going to be a problem. He lives in a busy pet shop with dogs and stuff running around all day. However if it did become a problem, I would find the cat a good home. :D

Rabidsquirrel
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I built a largish bird cage for my parakeets when I lived at my parents house (3x3x5). The one cat wanted to do nothing more than sit on top of the cage. The other cat, however, wanted to kill and eat the birds.

I solved this by building a screen door for my bedroom door to keep the cats out.

That's right, an indoor screen door.

Darrell
02-26-2010, 12:16 PM
I built a largish bird cage for my parakeets when I lived at my parents house (3x3x5). The one cat wanted to do nothing more than sit on top of the cage. The other cat, however, wanted to kill and eat the birds.

I solved this by building a screen door for my bedroom door to keep the cats out.

That's right, an indoor screen door.

Well, my cat won't be able to get on top of the cage seeing as it's 6 feet high and their are no objects high enough for him to take flight from on to the cage. :r

Neuromancer
02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Not once did any of the cats ever harm a bird, but it's because I always took time to introduce the cats to the birds.Cats are really smart, despite the way they act. Just bring the cat to the bird, introduce them, make them friendly, and spend time with the cat and bird together.
Oddly enough, my cats knew the difference between the birds they were allowed to kill and the birds they weren't allowed to kill. I had a black cat that spent all day sleeping with my golden pheasants, hanging in the netting like a hammock.
I watched another one of my cats hunting tweety birds one day. She was totally intense. She bolted at the tweety bird when a mother hen and her chicks walked by. The cat put on the brakes, watched the hen and all her babies poass, then resumed the chase.
Just take some time with both of them together, and let the cat smell the bird and lick it and rub on it and stuff.

Actually, now that I think of it, that's what I did too...the cats knew the birds and the gerbils were family because I used to let them be out together under my supervision...most cats are pretty smart, and figure out what's what quickly...

Rabidsquirrel
02-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Well, my cat won't be able to get on top of the cage seeing as it's 6 feet high and their are no objects high enough for him to take flight from on to the cage. :r

I've seen a cat jump on top of a fridge before. :D All depends on the motivation of the cat.

pnoon
02-26-2010, 12:47 PM
thanks for the welcom darrell, i hope you try puff again. if not. thats ok. your one of few good men on here.
You can take him with you if you'd like. ;)

AD720
02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I've seen a cat jump on top of a fridge before. :D All depends on the motivation of the cat.

:tpd: One of ours sits on top of the fridge so she can look out the kitchen window.

Darrell
02-26-2010, 12:56 PM
You can take him with you if you'd like. ;)

I think I will stick around, thanks for the thought. ;)

cbsmokin
02-26-2010, 01:01 PM
I think you should get some mice as well. Maybe they will distract the cat from the bird.

Neuromancer
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
I think you should get some mice as well. Maybe they will distract the cat from the bird.

:r

Darrell
02-26-2010, 10:16 PM
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5826/photoon20100226at21152.jpg (http://img196.imageshack.us/i/photoon20100226at21152.jpg/)

:D

Skywalker
02-26-2010, 10:24 PM
That cage is awesome!!!

It looks like your face!!!:r

http://www.premiere.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/dumb-and-dumber/595816-1-eng-US/Dumb-and-Dumber.jpg
"Pretty Bird! Pretty Bird!"

I hope his head doesn't fall off!!!:r

Savor the Stick
02-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Not once did any of the cats ever harm a bird, but it's because I always took time to introduce the cats to the birds.
Cats are really smart, despite the way they act. Just bring the cat to the bird, introduce them, make them friendly, and spend time with the cat and bird together.
I watched another one of my cats hunting tweety birds one day. She was totally intense. She bolted at the tweety bird when a mother hen and her chicks walked by. The cat put on the brakes, watched the hen and all her babies pass, then resumed the chase.

I have done this with every bird/cat I have owned....it works. It changes the cats thought process--instead of potential food---to family member (pack member). My cats just loose interest in the bird in the hunting and eating way.

BigFrank
02-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Get rid of the cat...Get another dog. Problem solved.

RGD.
02-27-2010, 07:47 PM
As the owner of a 9 year old Cockatiel, make sure you acclimate the bird and dog(s) also. It only takes one quick snap and it's all over. I would sit on the floor with JoJo and have the dogs near me so they could see that he was family member and held a position of being allowed on me. Of course for quite awhile they had that look of what the hell is that thing doing in the house. Eventually they accepted him and his flying.

We did have one event where he was on the floor investigating something in the hallway into my office when they both came in from outside and came barreling into the office. There was a lot of squawking and a few startled yelps along with ruffled feathers. I didn't see it but am guessing a trampling took place that didn't please JoJo at all and he showed them as much - LOL. Both dogs ended up under my desk hiding.

And of course he screws with them. He has learned to mimic the whistles that we use to call them. He will do that and then pretty much laugh at them in bird laugh when they come running. Tons of fun.

Enjoy your new family member.

Ron

bobarian
02-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Get rid of the cat...Get another dog. Problem solved.

:tpd: Let the cat watch you cleaning your Glock!:r:r