jerseystepup
02-25-2010, 07:56 PM
How do i ship to an APO?

hotreds
02-25-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.usps.com/supportingourtroops/addressingtips.htm

jerseystepup
02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
thanks! but after printing the click and ship i cant just drop the priority box in the mailbox right? i have to go fill out a customs form?

Kreth
02-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Don't recall the exact link, but you should be able to print the form from Click N Ship.
Posted via Mobile Device

jerseystepup
02-25-2010, 08:10 PM
And it should cost the same as regular priority shipping i was told? any problem declaring cigars?

Kreth
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
And it should cost the same as regular priority shipping i was told? any problem declaring cigars?
Been a while since I shipped to an APO/FPO, but I thought it was actually a little cheaper.
I usually declare candles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Veritas
02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Shipping to an APO is a little less than shipping the same flat-rate box domestically.

I received quite a few packages from CI when I was deployed. They all had "samples and monthly literature" listed on the Customs form. I don't know why though.

Hot Stuff x
02-25-2010, 10:05 PM
I always put "Hobby Supplies" on the customs form. I think that's a way to be honest without having to write "cigars" on the form.

If they don't have the customs form on click and ship, You can print out a customs for from the USPS website (https://webapps.usps.com/customsforms/sender_recipient_APO_FPO.jsp).

T.G
02-25-2010, 10:18 PM

Should be about the same cost as regular priority shipping from you to whatever zone the collection point for that APO/FPO is located in the US. Exception is the large flat rate boxes which get a $2 discount.

Listing cigars can cause problems, best to avoid it and just write something else. "Sundries" is a good one, no one at the post office seems to know what it means so they just wave it through.

Also, keep the value written on the customs form low.

CasaDooley
02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shipping to an APO/FPO does not require a custom form filled out. Technically speaking, that type of mail never leaves American soil. I've shipped plenty of stuff to military personnel all over the world and never filled out custom forms and no one ever had to when they used to ship to me.

kydsid
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shipping to an APO/FPO does not require a custom form filled out. Technically speaking, that type of mail never leaves American soil. I've shipped plenty of stuff to military personnel all over the world and never filled out custom forms and no one ever had to when they used to ship to me.

It does require a customs form. But there is a different one used for APO/FPO's than normal. And yes it does leave American soil. All APO/FPO packages are cleared through the host country customs service. There are numerous reasons why you haven't had a problem, chief amoung them it isn't that big of a deal and really depends on the level of cooperation from the host country.

As for not declaring cigars and coming up with an alternate description I am against that based on my history and the fact that the DoD may hold the recipient responsible if the host country considered it 'smuggling'. Remember if the DoD is going to ding a guy for his 'guest' caught speeding on base they probably will here too. Host countries all have signed an agreement with the DoD so that anything that is for military members will not be charged duty for any reason. Unless it is a banned product it will get to the soldier. So what is the point of lying on a customs form?

jerseystepup
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks everyone... Went off without a hitch! Hot Stuff X... Incoming!

bobarian
02-26-2010, 12:04 PM
It does require a customs form. But there is a different one used for APO/FPO's than normal. And yes it does leave American soil. All APO/FPO packages are cleared through the host country customs service. There are numerous reasons why you haven't had a problem, chief amoung them it isn't that big of a deal and really depends on the level of cooperation from the host country.

As for not declaring cigars and coming up with an alternate description I am against that based on my history and the fact that the DoD may hold the recipient responsible if the host country considered it 'smuggling'. Remember if the DoD is going to ding a guy for his 'guest' caught speeding on base they probably will here too. Host countries all have signed an agreement with the DoD so that anything that is for military members will not be charged duty for any reason. Unless it is a banned product it will get to the soldier. So what is the point of lying on a customs form?

If shipping to an overseas APO you will need a customs form. There is a special large Flat Rate box that says "We Support Our Troops" on the side, this gets a discount from the normal large flat rate price. I dont know if there are smaller APO boxes. I have sent 20+ large boxes to Iraq/Afghanistan in the past two years with no problems declaring them as cigars and value of $20. :2

T.G
02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
<snip> There is a special large Flat Rate box that says "We Support Our Troops" on the side, this gets a discount from the normal large flat rate price. I dont know if there are smaller APO boxes. <snip>

I ship smaller boxes of cigars to a few friends who have APOs and there is no APO/FPO discount nor special box for smaller boxes that I am aware of, just the $2 discount on the largest size box.

Depending on the APO collection point in the US relative to your location, it can sometimes be cheaper to use a non-flat rate priority box for the smaller shipments which are over 1-2lbs, and larger than what will fit in the small flat-rate box, but less than about 7-10lbs and smaller than the large flat rate APO box.

Hot Stuff x
03-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Unless it is a banned product it will get to the soldier. So what is the point of lying on a customs form?

I live in Korea and use an APO for my daily mail. We are required to fill out customs forms to ship out any packages.

I put "cigars" on my customs form once. The guy behind the counter at the APO refused to ship the package becuase it contained tobacco products. I asked to speak with the supevisor and the boss told the guy to go ahead and accept my package. Had the boss been away that day I would not have been able to ship my box.

Nowadays I state the contents as "Hobby Supplies" to avoid any such hassles. I don't consider it "lying". Bending the truth, perhaps, but apparently you can't count on postal employees to be up to speed on thier own regulations, so screw 'em.

kydsid
03-08-2010, 05:49 AM
I live in Korea and use an APO for my daily mail. We are required to fill out customs forms to ship out any packages.

I put "cigars" on my customs form once. The guy behind the counter at the APO refused to ship the package becuase it contained tobacco products. I asked to speak with the supevisor and the boss told the guy to go ahead and accept my package. Had the boss been away that day I would not have been able to ship my box.

Nowadays I state the contents as "Hobby Supplies" to avoid any such hassles. I don't consider it "lying". Bending the truth, perhaps, but apparently you can't count on postal employees to be up to speed on thier own regulations, so screw 'em.

And where you shipping to an APO? Or to a regular address?

Tobacco while a largely legal product is controlled and TAXED in every country. The shipping of tobacco can in many cases be controlled upon export and upon import.

If you are shipping TO an APO my comment stands and is correct. The Status of Forces agreement prevents duties to soldiers and they will get their product.

P.S. You don't consider it lying but every Customs Service in the world will. ;)