PDA

View Full Version : Gin Thread!

Pages : [1] 2

Eagle53
02-21-2010, 07:29 PM
I couldn't help but notice that there wasn't a gin thread in the spirits section.
My favorite drink is gin and tonic and I love Bluecoat Gin. http://bluecoatgin.com/index.htm

It just won the double gold (absolute best) at San Francisco last year and it is the best gin i have ever tasted. It is actually considered a new genre of gin; american style. American style has significantly heavier citrus notes.

As far as london style my favorites are Hendricks and Tanqueray 10.

If anyone is a gin and tonic fan the best thing I've found to add to it is the liqueur; St. Germain. St. Germain is an elderflower liqueur that essentially turns it into a new drink....if you are a gin fan it absolutely is a must try.

qwerty1500
02-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Can't let a gin thread pass without a comment. An ice cold gin martini, straight up, with two olives and, of course fresh vermouth has been my drink of choice for y e a r s ....

I've tried most everything. The only one that I can't seem to find around here is No. 209. Was a regular Bombay drinker for a long time. Now I seem to lean toward a Tanqueray 10 or a more pedestrian Beefeater.

There is just something about a gin martini that seems to bring certain flavors of a cigar to life.

mmblz
02-21-2010, 08:26 PM
North Shore.

There's also this thread:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157

I tried Bluecoat after all the buzz last year. DIdn't like it that much. As I remember it was overly lemony, and there was something else peculiar about the flavor that I couldn't quite put my finger on...

Eagle53
02-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Absolutely agree with the cigar pairing. I hate olives or olive juice in my martinis. Get your hands on some Bluecoat and St. Germain and it will change your life

Eagle53
02-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Ah I did a search on gin and it came up with nothing so I figured no one had talked about it.

mmblz
02-21-2010, 08:31 PM
North Shore.

Just came across the recipe for the best martini I've ever had...
Autumn Dirt-ini on this page http://www.northpondrestaurant.com/text/newsletter/2007/November2007.html

marge796
02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I like a Bombay & Tonic with extra limes on a hot summer afternoon.

:tu

Chris.....

Jbailey
02-21-2010, 08:42 PM
That does sound tasty Julian.

I enjoy a dirty martini with blue cheese stuffed olives every now and again.

CasaDooley
02-21-2010, 09:30 PM
My favorites have been Tanqueray No. 10, Tanquera Rangpur or Dry Fly. I'm a big fan of gin & tonic when the weathers warm. This is one of my fav recipes:

•1 part gin
•3 or 4 parts tonic water
•.5 oz. simple syrup
•dash of Stirrings blood orange bitters
•mandarin orange

•Muddle mandarin orange with simple syrup.
•Add a dash of blood orange bitters.
•Add Gin.
•Add tonic.
•Pour over ice, garnish with a mandarin orange wheel and enjoy.:dr

smokeyandthebandit05
02-21-2010, 10:00 PM
If anyone is a gin and tonic fan the best thing I've found to add to it is the liqueur; St. Germain. St. Germain is an elderflower liqueur that essentially turns it into a new drink....if you are a gin fan it absolutely is a must try.

I dont have as much gin experience as you guys but the one I love is Tanqueray. GnT's being my favorite drink to make with gin I need to find some of the St. Germain

Resipsa
02-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Can't let a gin thread pass without a comment. An ice cold gin martini, straight up, with two olives and, of course fresh vermouth has been my drink of choice for y e a r s ....

I've tried most everything. The only one that I can't seem to find around here is No. 209. Was a regular Bombay drinker for a long time. Now I seem to lean toward a Tanqueray 10 or a more pedestrian Beefeater.

There is just something about a gin martini that seems to bring certain flavors of a cigar to life.
We've got No. 209 here. Good Stuff. One we don't have is North Shore which I'd like to try.

mmblz
02-22-2010, 05:27 AM
We've got No. 209 here. Good Stuff. One we don't have is North Shore which I'd like to try.

it's made outside of Chicago and I don't know if it's distributed much beyond there. you can order it from Binny's I think...

BeerAdvocate
02-22-2010, 06:00 AM
Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire are the only two for me!

Resipsa
02-22-2010, 10:04 AM
it's made outside of Chicago and I don't know if it's distributed much beyond there. you can order it from Binny's I think...
Thanks Julian. Found another link where I can get it as well as binnys, the place I found also has north shore #11 as well as #6. Let me know if you'd like to try the #11 and I'll send you the link. Edit: looks
like binnys has the 11 as well, thanks for the tip. Have you had the 11or just the 6?

MajorCaptSilly
02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
I've always been a Bombay Sapphire guy. I absolutely hate Tanqueray but was told Tanqueray 10 was good. I tried it and love it. It is fantastic with a cucumber slice instead of a lime.

MCS

mmblz
02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks Julian. Found another link where I can get it as well as binnys, the place I found also has north shore #11 as well as #6. Let me know if you'd like to try the #11 and I'll send you the link. Edit: looks
like binnys has the 11 as well, thanks for the tip. Have you had the 11or just the 6?

just 6
from the description of 11 (on the north shore website) I'm not sure I would be likely to enjoy it... then again, if there's one thing we all know, it's that describing flavor in words in near to impossible.

http://www.northshoredistillery.com/gin6.htm
http://www.northshoredistillery.com/gin11.htm

mtaill
02-22-2010, 12:15 PM
I like the Bombay and Tanqueray 10

Tripp
02-22-2010, 12:30 PM
I use Bombay Sapphire for G&Ts, and Hendrick's for martinis. Picked up a bottle of New Amsterdam last week, and I can't say I'm impressed.

elderboy02
04-15-2010, 09:22 AM
I think I am going to have to get into gin.

E-man67 gave me some Hendrick's last night and it was great! :dr

GreekGodX
04-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Hayman’s Old Tom Gin is my favorite Gin at the moment. A little hard to find in Michigan but should be available to most. Great stuff.

Love me a Vesper Martini
3 parts gin
1 part vodka
Splash dry vermouth

Razorhog
04-15-2010, 10:30 AM
A good yet cheap gin for Martinis is Burnette's. It tastes just like Boodles. I love a nice Martini - shaken until you get frost burns, up and dirty with a couple olives. mmmmm
If I'm at a bar this is what I generally order: Bombay Sapphire, up, dry, with two olives.

MikeyRocks
04-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Mmm..... I love my gin and tonics. My favorite is Hendricks, then BB Sapphire. If I'm at home, I serve my gin & tonic with two slices of cucumber and a slice of lime.

Going to try Bluecoat though, I've heard great things about it.

dbradley
05-03-2010, 07:32 PM
I like Hendricks and Bombay, but for the price Gordon's is what usually finds it's way to my house.

GnT is my fave but I also love a Gimlet on occasions.

SvilleKid
05-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I use Bombay Sapphire for G&Ts, and Hendrick's for martinis. Picked up a bottle of New Amsterdam last week, and I can't say I'm impressed.

While Bombay and Hendrick's are my "go-to" gins for sippin', I have to say that, dollar for dollar, New Amsterdam impressed me. Definitely NOT in hendrick's class, but at a cost at, or below that of many gins I consider "rotgut", I keep a bottle along side my Henrdicks and Bombay.

pnoon
05-03-2010, 10:13 PM
While Bombay and Hendrick's are my "go-to" gins for sippin', I have to say that, dollar for dollar, New Amsterdam impressed me. Definitely NOT in hendrick's class, but at a cost at, or below that of many gins I consider "rotgut", I keep a bottle along side my Henrdicks and Bombay.
Yes, indeed, Cliff. I also enjoy NA. At $18.99 for a 1.5L, ya can't go wrong.

cricky101
05-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Yes, indeed, Cliff. I also enjoy NA. At $18.99 for a 1.5L, ya can't go wrong.

Just saw it on sale in a newspaper add this week for $14.99 for a 1.5L and didn't know what to think.

I'll definitely pick up a bottle now for a couple of post-yard-work G&Ts.

pnoon
05-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Just saw it on sale in a newspaper add this week for $14.99 for a 1.5L and didn't know what to think.

I'll definitely pick up a bottle now for a couple of post-yard-work G&Ts.

$14.99 for 1.5L???? I'll take two!

I'm a martini drinker and NA makes a decent martini as well.

Eagle53
06-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Did yall hear about Beefeater Summer? http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2010/03/beefeater_previ.php Its supposed to come out this month and I cant wait to get my hands on it.

Cyclone
06-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Relatively new to Gin... couldn't stand it for years....

A buddy got me hooked on Gin and Diet 7-Up.... The perfect summer drink...

Now I have a use for the Bombay Sapphire that been sitting around since I got married ( 8 years ago ).

T.G
06-07-2010, 12:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHKTbSuuOGM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evqews-KTfI

/obligatory

qwerty1500
06-07-2010, 05:04 AM
Did yall hear about Beefeater Summer? http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2010/03/beefeater_previ.php Its supposed to come out this month and I cant wait to get my hands on it.

The Beefeater Summer is interesting. As a martini drinker, I'm really more interested in the Beefeater 24 mentioned in the article. Anyone try the 24 yet?

alwayslit
06-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire are the only two for me!....:tu

e-man67
06-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Hendricks is the BEST! Drink it up with a slide of lime! :tu

elderboy02
06-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Hendricks is the BEST! Drink it up with a slide of lime! :tu

How does one procure a SLIDE of lime :r

cricky101
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
$14.99 for 1.5L???? I'll take two!

I'm a martini drinker and NA makes a decent martini as well.

Turns out it was a 1.75L for $14.99. I bought 2 :D Haven't tried a martini with it yet but will be soon.

This week they have Hendrick's 750mL bottles for $24.99 - Buy 1 get 1 free. I'm going to need a gin cabinet pretty soon.

pnoon
06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Turns out it was a 1.75L for $14.99. I bought 2 :D Haven't tried a martini with it yet but will be soon.

This week they have Hendrick's 750mL bottles for $24.99 - Buy 1 get 1 free. I'm going to need a gin cabinet pretty soon.

BOGOF for Hendricks @ $24.99? ? ? ? ?

I'd be tempted to buy a case.

SvilleKid
06-07-2010, 09:19 PM
BOGOF for Hendricks @ $24.99? ? ? ? ?

I'd be tempted to buy a case.

I second that, Peter!!! I think I paid over $40 for the last bottle I purchased of Hendricks!!! That sale price is outrageous!!!

cricky101
06-08-2010, 07:20 AM
I second that, Peter!!! I think I paid over $40 for the last bottle I purchased of Hendricks!!! That sale price is outrageous!!!

I've shopped at this place for a while now and they always have killer sales. http://www.shopmerwins.com/

I picked up a Groupon last week for them, too ($10 for $20 in merchandise) so I'm headed back after work for some more shopping.

Hello, Hendrick's. :D

qwerty1500
06-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Went to the BIG liquor store in search of the premium Beefeater. They didn't have it yet, of course. Anyway, had a nice conversation with the manager and he suggested Plymouth ... something about it being the only gin served at Parliament and Churchill's favorite. Going to do a little research on those two claims. Nevertheless, it does make a VERY acceptable martini !!!

yourchoice
06-12-2010, 05:03 PM
This thread...I oughta...

Picked up a bottle of Hendricks last night as my last bottle was on E. Almost picked up a bottle of NA, but figured I should wait until my bottle of Beefeater is finished (fine for a G&T).

I've had Plymouth and thought it was very good.

I've looked at other premium bottles my liquor store has, but I can't bring myself to bypass Hendricks.

I love love love gin in the summertime. :tu

qwerty1500
06-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Plymouth ... something about it being the only gin served at Parliament and Churchill's favorite. Going to do a little research on those two claims.

Enjoyed the research. Learned about the difference between London dry gin and Pkymouth. Found nothing to support the claim that Plymouth is the only gin served in Parliament. However, it does appear to be Churchill's favorite as well as the favorite gin of FDR, Alfred Hitchcock and Ian Flemming.

yourchoice
07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Almost picked up a bottle of NA, but figured I should wait until my bottle of Beefeater is finished.

Well, the Beefeater was kicked, so I picked up a bottle of NA. For a gin and tonic, I am very pleased. :tu The real test will come later this weekend when I make a martini with it. :)

Eagle53
07-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Do we have any NYC BOTLS? For some reason the Beefeater Summer Edition has only been released in select markets. The only one I know of is NYC. If someone is there and can find it/get it for me I will gladly pay for a bottle and the shipping. It is supposed to retail for 19.99 for a 750ml. Please PM me if possible

qwerty1500
07-06-2010, 07:54 PM
It is supposed to retail for 19.99 for a 750ml.

Wow. That is what the regular old Beefeaters goes for around here.

08-27-2010, 01:25 PM
I would rank my favs in this order

1. Hendricks
2. Sapphire
3. Tanqueray Ten

Other good GnT gins: Tanqueray, Bombay, Beefeater

Yet to try NA, Goordons or Plymouth. I'll have to keep my eye open for them.

e-man67
08-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Hendricks is the bestest!

yourchoice
08-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, the Beefeater was kicked, so I picked up a bottle of NA. For a gin and tonic, I am very pleased. :tu The real test will come later this weekend when I make a martini with it. :)

Glad this was bumped. I had the NA in a martini, and I'll put it this way...I won't hesitate to use it for a gin and tonic again. ;) I picked up a bit too much orange flavor when using it for a martini. YMMV

galaga
08-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Glad this was bumped. I had the NA in a martini, and I'll put it this way...I won't hesitate to use it for a gin and tonic again. ;) I picked up a bit too much orange flavor when using it for a martini. YMMV

It does have a pronounced orange flavor, but I like it. I find myself going back and forth between New Amsterdam and a more traditional gin, Bombay Sapphire. Every once and awhile, mixing the two.

Eagle53
08-27-2010, 03:52 PM
I finally got a hold of a bottle of summer edition beefeater.....its amazing.

yourchoice
08-27-2010, 04:18 PM
It does have a pronounced orange flavor, but I like it. I find myself going back and forth between New Amsterdam and a more traditional gin, Bombay Sapphire. Every once and awhile, mixing the two.

I really enjoyed the orange flavor with the gin and tonic, but not so much in the martini.

Right now enjoying a Tanqueray and tonic. :tu

Hopefully the Phils can get off the snide tonight, eh Rick? :D

galaga
08-27-2010, 04:23 PM
I really enjoyed the orange flavor with the gin and tonic, but not so much in the martini.

Right now enjoying a Tanqueray and tonic. :tu

Hopefully the Phils can get off the snide tonight, eh Rick? :D

Not tonight:=:

........fiver on the series???

yourchoice
08-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm always game for a little friendly wager! :tu You're on.
Posted via Mobile Device

galaga
08-27-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm always game for a little friendly wager! :tu You're on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wohoo!:wo ;)

hammondc
08-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Had some Hendricks last night. I usually do Hendricks & Tonic with a bit of lime. Absolutely fantastic.

my top 3
Hendricks
Beefeaters
Tanqueray Bombay

warren G.
10-23-2010, 11:28 PM
I love Gin. Beside my single malt, I find myself restocking gin the most.
3 current gin I always have on me :

Cadenhead’s Old Raj Dry Gin....a real treat.

Martin Miller's London Dry Gin ...they make amazing cocktail. I wish I can find some Junipero from Anchor. They make awesome Martini. I'm also a fan of north shore gin, but they're hard to get down here. If I ever in the midwest area, I'll definitely pick up a bottle or two.

Beefeater London Dry Gin ...my everyday Gin

GolfNut
10-23-2010, 11:32 PM
My top 3:
Tanqueray 10
Hendericks
Bombay Sapphire

10-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Finally got to try the NA. Pretty good stuff, especially for the price. I do like the orange flavor. It's kind of different, but nice. Only had two drinks with it, but I have the rest of the fifth to solidify my opinion. :D

pnoon
10-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Finally got to try the NA. Pretty good stuff, especially for the price. I do like the orange flavor. It's kind of different, but nice. Only had two drinks with it, but I have the rest of the fifth to solidify my opinion. :D

I agree, Mike. The citrus finish is nice.
For the money, it's a great deal.

galaga
10-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Ran out of Vermouth last night. First sunny day in a while here so I need a martini. Ice, gin, shaken and poured into a martini glass and then poured about a tablespoon of Macallans single malt on top. Held it up to the sun. You know, I could get used to those. Heard it was called a Silver Bullet.

pnoon
10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Ran out of Vermouth last night. First sunny day in a while here so I need a martini. Ice, gin, shaken and poured into a martini glass and then poured about a tablespoon of Macallans single malt on top. Held it up to the sun. You know, I could get used to those. Heard it was called a Silver Bullet.

For an old fart, you're pretty smart!

Slow Triathlete
10-27-2010, 03:13 PM
I second the Sir Robert Burnett's Gin. It is my everyday because its cheap but I also like the fact that it has more Juniper taste to it. I miss it when I drink the more expensive ones.

I do enjoy Hendricks and Sapphire every once in a while but if you get a chance to try Magellan then it is a great treat!!

Martel
11-23-2010, 04:33 AM
My favorite right now is #209 gin, and that's what I mostly use for martinis. I really don't care for Hendrick's, actually. Regular Bombay for G&T's is fine for me.

Cheers,
G

06-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Resurrection!!!

Loving some GnT's already this summer. Of course I drink them year round but, they do taste especially good in hot weather.

pnoon
06-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Definitely a martini or two after work today.

Is it a full moon?
Posted via Mobile Device

GreekGodX
06-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Resurrection!!!

Loving some GnT's already this summer. Of course I drink them year round but, they do taste especially good in hot weather.

Nice :banger

Have you tried Gordon's yet? I'm pretty sure I have some at my house for the herf next week. Also you can try Hayman’s Old Tom Gin, I think it's a pretty good gin.

qwerty1500
06-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Is it a full moon?
Posted via Mobile Device

Or two? For me, that would be followed by a nice little nap. I'm becoming such a wuss in my old age.

SDmate
06-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Is it a full moon?
Posted via Mobile Device
:tt

Still waiting for a text......

pnoon
06-13-2011, 09:38 PM
:tt

Still waiting for a text......
I drink with you all the time. Besides, I thought you'd be working. :)
Or two? For me, that would be followed by a nice little nap. I'm becoming such a wuss in my old age.

I sincerely hope that one day we can enjoy a martini and cigar together.

06-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Nice :banger

Have you tried Gordon's yet? I'm pretty sure I have some at my house for the herf next week. Also you can try Hayman’s Old Tom Gin, I think it's a pretty good gin.

I haven't had Gordon's yet. I would really like to try that on Monday. I am looking to pick up some Hendrick's, but I don't know where they sell it in Michigan.

GreekGodX
06-14-2011, 06:44 AM
I haven't had Gordon's yet. I would really like to try that on Monday. I am looking to pick up some Hendrick's, but I don't know where they sell it in Michigan.

Pretty sure Costco, Red Wagon, Zetouma liqour store (Rochester road just south of M59, Great Owner) and Meijer all have it.

IBQTEE1
06-14-2011, 09:11 AM
I wasn't much a of gin drinker. I usually drink vodka but then I started drinking Bombay Sapphire and tonic. Hello friend that is all I have to say. Yes, I still do blue cheese stuffed olives with my Gin and Tonic.

Aero95
06-16-2011, 01:02 PM
I just got a bottle of New Amsterdam since I ran out of Bombay Sapphire. Thanks Pnoon for the suggestion on this bottle and I will try it out on a few g&t this weekend :al

pnoon
09-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Reviving an old thread.
Especially since I've been on a small batch gin kick lately.
Here is what I have been enjoying lately.

St. George Dry Rye Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/ST-GEORGE-DRY-RYE-GIN-750.html
http://www.hitimewine.net/images/P/st-george-dry-rye-gin-75-66940p.jpg

St. George Terroir Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/ST.-GEORGE-TERROIR-GIN-750.html
http://www.hitimewine.net/images/P/st-george-terroir-gin-75-66941p.jpg

Boudier Saffron Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/BOUDIER-SAFFRON-GIN-750.html
http://www.hitimewine.net/images/P/boudier-saffron-gin-750-28263p.jpg

Dry Fly Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/DRY-FLY-GIN-WASHINGTON-750.html
http://www.hitimewine.net/images/P/dry-fly-gin-washington-7-27383p.jpg

Blade Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/BLADE-GIN-750.html
http://www.hitimewine.net/images/P/blade-gin-750-28908p.jpg

pnoon
09-26-2012, 05:03 PM
continued....

Right Swedish Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/RIGHT-SWEDISH-GIN-750.html
http://www.hitimewine.net/images/P/right-swedish-gin-750-27626p.jpg

Botanist Islay Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/BOTANIST-ISLAY-DRY-GIN-750.html
http://www.hitimewine.net/images/P/botanist-islay-dry-gin-7-68459p.jpg

Crater Lake Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/CASCADE-MOUNTAIN-GIN-750.html
http://www.hitimewine.net/images/P/crater-lake-gin-750-24944p.jpg

Death’s Door Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/DEATHS-DOOR-GIN-750.html
http://www.hitimewine.net/images/P/deaths-door-gin-750-28003p.jpg

Salvelinus
09-26-2012, 06:52 PM
http://caledoniaspirits.com/wp-content/uploads/Gin750-153x300.jpg

This one is local to me and really good.

pnoon
09-26-2012, 07:10 PM
http://caledoniaspirits.com/wp-content/uploads/Gin750-153x300.jpg

This one is local to me and really good.

I will keep my eyes open for it here on the west coast.

BigAsh
09-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Nice Peter!....Do tell about the Saffron Gin, the NON-CLEAR gin!!

pnoon
09-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Nice Peter!....Do tell about the Saffron Gin, the NON-CLEAR gin!!

Very unique flavor profile. Not something you would drink a lot of but a nice change of pace. Martini worthy and to my surprise, tasty in a G&T with a squeeze of lime.

BigAsh
09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Very unique flavor profile. Not something you would drink a lot of but a nice change of pace. Martini worthy and to my surprise, tasty in a G&T with a squeeze of lime.

meets my criteria!!

qwerty1500
09-28-2012, 05:35 AM
Wow, Peter, I'm jealous. As I sit and sip my pedestrian Beefeater, I'll be wondering which one of those would make the best martini?

Justinphilly
09-28-2012, 05:48 AM
I'm not sure if its available nationally yet or not, but some Philly guys starting making/selling gin locally a few years ago. Bluecoat is the name and what made these guys think a Philly made gin could/would be respected and sell is beyond me. But, it was well reviewed locally.

pnoon
10-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Wow, Peter, I'm jealous. As I sit and sip my pedestrian Beefeater, I'll be wondering which one of those would make the best martini?

They all make a fine martini. :)

Just picked up two more.

While Bombay Sapphire has been a go-to staple for a long time, I had never hear of Bombay Sapphire East. Found one bottle Total Wine yesterday. Needless to say I grabbed it. Very nice!

http://theginisin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/bombay_sapphire_east.jpg

The second bottle is one that intrigued me. I bought it yesterday as well but have not cracked it open yet.

High Spirits Desert Dry Gin (Distilled at 7000' in Flagstaff AZ)
"It has a distinctively delicious ultra smooth taste of white wheat and american rye. The flavor comes from selective botanicals that include some native of the southwest and sonora desert for the unique flavor."

http://www.totalwine.com/_static/webupload/731/1_125356750_4_3.jpg

T.G
10-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Peter, while I'm more of a beer guy than anything else, the Bombay Sapphire is my go-to gin when I order a Martini, but I'm intrigued by this Bombay Sapphire East. Would you mind posing your thoughts on how it differs from the "Regular" Bombay Sapphire?

PS: Trader Joes has a new gin under their umbrella, I just noticed it on the new products shelf about two weeks ago. Called "Jailhouse Gin" IIRC. 43%ABV. Allegedly made in the SF bay area somewhere.

pnoon
10-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Peter, while I'm more of a beer guy than anything else, the Bombay Sapphire is my go-to gin when I order a Martini, but I'm intrigued by this Bombay Sapphire East. Would you mind posing your thoughts on how it differs from the "Regular" Bombay Sapphire?

I am not one who can easily pick out and describe flavors. I will say that I find the BS East to be more aromatic and floral.

The description on the bottle says "Vapour Infused with additional Thai Lemongrass and Vietnamese Black Peppercorns"

84 proof. I paid $32.99 for a full liter.

T.G
10-14-2012, 07:23 PM
I am not one who can easily pick out and describe flavors. I will say that I find the BS East to be more aromatic and floral.

The description on the bottle says "Vapour Infused with additional Thai Lemongrass and Vietnamese Black Peppercorns"

You had me at peppercorns.

Oh, wait...

Seriously, that's great actually, all the description I needed. I'm not worried about trying to pick out miniscule flavors that I'm probably not going to care about after I get halfway through the first drink, if I even notice them at all. The overall bouquet and how pronounced it is, that's all I'm interested in.

Thanks.

pnoon
10-14-2012, 07:24 PM
You had me at peppercorns.

Oh, wait...

Seriously, that's great actually, all the description I needed. I'm not worried about trying to pick out miniscule flavors that I'm probably not going to care about after I get halfway through the first drink, if I even notice them at all. The overall bouquet and how pronounced it is, that's all I'm interested in.

Thanks.

It's quite nice.

VirtualSmitty
10-15-2012, 05:26 AM
They all make a fine martini. :)

Just picked up two more.

While Bombay Sapphire has been a go-to staple for a long time, I had never hear of Bombay Sapphire East. Found one bottle Total Wine yesterday. Needless to say I grabbed it. Very nice!

http://theginisin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/bombay_sapphire_east.jpg

This I want to try. Been on a Hendricks kick lately but Bombay Sapphire has always been a regular for me. Peppercorns? :dr

BigAsh
10-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Sapphire East!?!....and I thought I knew everything! :noon....will be on the lookout for that...really interested in the "selective botanicals that include some native of the southwest and sonora desert for the unique flavor." of the High Spirits gin!

pnoon
10-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Sapphire East!?!....and I thought I knew everything! :noon....will be on the lookout for that...really interested in the "selective botanicals that include some native of the southwest and sonora desert for the unique flavor." of the High Spirits gin!

Both are very good. Not disappointed with my purchase. But I think I like the Sapphire East better.

Brlesq
10-15-2012, 04:51 PM

Bet this would make a great dirty martini. Gotta find me some!

pnoon
10-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Newest purchase. Have yet to try.

http://www.farmersgin.com/wp-content/themes/farmers_theme/images/bottle-gin-tonic.png

http://www.farmersgin.com/home

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-20-2012, 02:10 PM
My favorite Gin:
http://jacoboheme.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/hendricks_gin_cocktail.jpg

10-22-2012, 10:59 AM
My favorite Gin:
http://jacoboheme.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/hendricks_gin_cocktail.jpg

Same here. But I haven't tried half the ones Peter has posted.

pnoon
10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Same here. But I haven't tried half the ones Peter has posted.

I love Hendricks as well.
But that is like saying I love Padron or Fuente cigars and not realizing there is a huge population of other wonderful brands out there.

My immersion into craft (small batch) gins has been absolutely wonderful.

shibby4781
10-22-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm glad I came across this thread today! I'm not a big gin drinker but have wanted to dive further into it. I have enjoyed GNT's for years when I'm out with the wife but never really cared or specified what brand of gin to use. From what I have read it seem like for those you can use pretty much anything. I really want to try more martinis. Are there acceptable and unacceptable gins to use for martinis? Also, could anyone be so kind as to steer me in the direction for a decent all-purpose gin or for that matter one I should try right away?

10-22-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm glad I came across this thread today! I'm not a big gin drinker but have wanted to dive further into it. I have enjoyed GNT's for years when I'm out with the wife but never really cared or specified what brand of gin to use. From what I have read it seem like for those you can use pretty much anything. I really want to try more martinis. Are there acceptable and unacceptable gins to use for martinis? Also, could anyone be so kind as to steer me in the direction for a decent all-purpose gin or for that matter one I should try right away?

I'm a GNT guy. Never got into martinis but I haven't really tried too many. I would like to try some in the future to see if I like them or not. Personally, I can tell a big difference between gins when mixed with tonic. Just my :2

pnoon
10-22-2012, 12:14 PM

You can get away with using cheaper liquor when mixing in cocktails. However, using a higher end liquor will make a much tastier cocktail.

My favorite, everyday gin is New Amsterdam. I can get a 1.5L for $18-$20. And it is good enough to drink in a martini.

If you are starting out with martinis, I suggest New Amsterdam, Tanqueray, Beefeater and/or Bombay. I would not use the cheapo brands of gin.

If you have a question about a specific gin, feel free to post about it here or PM me.

Brlesq
10-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Apparently Tuthilltown Spirits (a local mico-batch distillery here in the Catskills of NY) recently released their new Half Moon Orchard Gin, made from wheat and apples. Haven't been able to find it anywhere, even at the local shops that carry Tuthilltown's Hudson Baby Bourbon Whiskey. I may have to take a trip down to the distillery for a tour and sample!

http://www.tuthilltown.com/category/products/unaged-spirits

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t404/Brlesq/half-moon-orchard-gin-300-dpi-8-5x11.jpg

shibby4781
10-22-2012, 12:41 PM
My favorite, everyday gin is New Amsterdam. I can get a 1.5L for $18-$20. And it is good enough to drink in a martini.

If you are starting out with martinis, I suggest New Amsterdam, Tanqueray, Beefeater and/or Bombay. I would not use the cheapo brands of gin.

Thanks, Peter! Looks like I will be stopping by the liquor store on my way home. Any suggestions/lessons about the beginner's martini?

pnoon
10-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks, Peter! Looks like I will be stopping by the liquor store on my way home. Any suggestions/lessons about the beginner's martini?

Like anything, it's all about personal preference.

Some like them stirred over ice. Others, like me, like them shaken and then strained into a martini glass. Some say shake gently. I prefer them shaken vigorously. Amount of (dry) vermouth is definitely one of taste. Many say waving the cap of the vermouth bottle over the shaker is plenty (none). I have seen the proportion as high as 3 parts gin to 1 part vermouth. I prefer ~5 to 1. I will usually just free pour a capful or a tad more into the shaker with the ice and gin. Whenever I try a new gin, like the many I've recently posted above, I omit the vermouth in order to get the true flavor of the gin. I then revert to adding some (but not much).

There is much to be enjoyed in the experimentation.

shibby4781
10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks again! Ok, one last question. What cigars would pair well with a martini or gin in general?

pnoon
10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks again! Ok, one last question. What cigars would pair well with a martini or gin in general?

Haven't found one yet that didn't pair well.

qwerty1500
10-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Haven't found one yet that didn't pair well.

I totally agree. An ice cold martini seems to highlight rather than mask the cigar flavors I really like.

As for vermouth ... dont be afraid of it. Normally mix 3:1. It's wine and is best when it's fresh rather than some that has been sitting in an opened bottle for months. I recently discovered Lillet ... the best wine mixer for martinis I have ever tried:

pnoon
10-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I totally agree. An ice cold martini seems to highlight rather than mask the cigar flavors I really like.

As for vermouth ... dont be afraid of it. Normally mix 3:1. It's wine and is best when it's fresh rather than some that has been sitting in an opened bottle for months. I recently discovered Lillet ... the best wine mixer for martinis I have ever tried:

Well said, my martini loving friend.

I'm more of 4:1 or 5:1 but besides that, your post is spot on.
I need to try the Lillet. Heard good things about it.

shibby4781
10-22-2012, 07:38 PM
OK I'm hooked! :dr

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u479/shibby4781/Cigars/MFmartini_zps6498c415.jpg

I tasted the New Amsterdam on its own and was very surprised and pleased. Very smooth with nice flavors. I did approximately the 3:1 mix. I like it a lot for my first attempt. I will definitely play around with the ratio over the next few. Thank you all for the advice & recommendations. Next venture Bloody Mary/Maria recipes but that's another thread.

pnoon
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u479/shibby4781/Cigars/MFmartini_zps6498c415.jpg

I tasted the New Amsterdam on its own and was very surprised and pleased. Very smooth with nice flavors. I did approximately the 3:1 mix. I like it a lot for my first attempt. I will definitely play around with the ratio over the next few. Thank you all for the advice & recommendations. Next venture Bloody Mary/Maria recipes but that's another thread.

Welcome to the fold. :D

Whee
10-22-2012, 07:49 PM

Another convert. Welcome to the club.
:D

pnoon
10-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Oh . . .
And don't let anyone try and tell you a martini is made with vodka. Otherwise, we'll have to revoke your martini card.

Whee
10-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Oh . . .
And don't let anyone try and tell you a martini is made with vodka. Otherwise, we'll have to revoke your martini card.

:h5

shibby4781
10-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Oh . . .

:r:r Just wanted to add a little James Bond flavor to the mix. I shook it. I swear!. I have to say that it pairs extremely well with the My Father Le Bijou 1922 I'm smoking tonight. It's very clean versus the wine (Franzia) I usually drink while smoking.

qwerty1500
10-23-2012, 09:49 AM
:r:r Just wanted to add a little James Bond flavor to the mix. I shook it. I swear!. I have to say that it pairs extremely well with the My Father Le Bijou 1922 I'm smoking tonight. It's very clean versus the wine (Franzia) I usually drink while smoking.

Knew you'd like it.

oooo35980
11-08-2012, 03:29 PM
I was intrigued by the idea of a Martini a few years ago, I never really liked them though, they were good but didn't taste much different than gin on the rocks. The reason being that thanks to Alton Brown I was basically making cold gin with an olive in it. A few weeks ago I stumbled across a website touting a classic martini, and man what a difference. Vermouth isn't some caustic chemical only to be added so that you can say you're technically not drinking a glass of stirred gin, it's an integral park of the cocktail, who knew? I had a few the other night and they just kept getting better and better.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there are only 3 types of Gin in the whole state (Not counting the big plastic Jug), Tangueray, Bombay, and Beefeater. The only Vermouth I've found is Martini & Rossi. Is there a large enough variation in Vermouth for me to go out and try to find something different, or is Martini & Rossi pretty much the standard?

pnoon
11-08-2012, 03:39 PM
I was intrigued by the idea of a Martini a few years ago, I never really liked them though, they were good but didn't taste much different than gin on the rocks. The reason being that thanks to Alton Brown I was basically making cold gin with an olive in it. A few weeks ago I stumbled across a website touting a classic martini, and man what a difference. Vermouth isn't some caustic chemical only to be added so that you can say you're technically not drinking a glass of stirred gin, it's an integral park of the cocktail, who knew? I had a few the other night and they just kept getting better and better.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there are only 3 types of Gin in the whole state (Not counting the big plastic Jug), Tangueray, Bombay, and Beefeater. The only Vermouth I've found is Martini & Rossi. Is there a large enough variation in Vermouth for me to go out and try to find something different, or is Martini & Rossi pretty much the standard?

Welcome to the dark side. :D

Try varying the proportions of vermouth until you find the ratio you like. You may find different gins marry well in different proportions to vermouth. Martini & Rossi is pretty much the standard. Lillet (mentioned above) is supposed to be a bit better but I have not had it before. It is on my list to try. Buy your vermouth in smaller quatities as it is a wine and will turn bad over time.

There are many great quotes about martinis. Two of my favorites:

"One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough."
James Thurber

"I like to have a martini, two at the very most --After three I'm under the table, After four, I'm under my host."
Dorothy Parker

oooo35980
11-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks, I didn't realize the Vermouth would go bad, what's the time frame on that? If it goes as fast as regular white wine I'm pitching it out today. Hopefully it being infused and fortified will buy me more than a day or two.

As for Gin all I have on hand is Beefeater, because while I was looking at the Gin shelf it struck me as probably the most traditional, complete guess though. I kind of settled on 3:1 with the Beefeater, 5:1 tasted like pure Gin to me, 4:1 was great, 3:1 was the best. I did drink them in that order though. Might have something to do with it.

pnoon
11-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks, I didn't realize the Vermouth would go bad, what's the time frame on that? If it goes as fast as regular white wine I'm pitching it out today. Hopefully it being infused and fortified will buy me more than a day or two.

As for Gin all I have on hand is Beefeater, because while I was looking at the Gin shelf it struck me as probably the most traditional, complete guess though. I kind of settled on 3:1 with the Beefeater, 5:1 tasted like pure Gin to me, 4:1 was great, 3:1 was the best. I did drink them in that order though. Might have something to do with it.

To the best of my knowledge, vermouth is neither infused nor fortified. Also, white wine should last more than a couple of days. I try and replace my vermouth within a couple of weeks. Refrigerate it and you should be fine but fresh is always better.

There is no correct proportion. Whatever tastes best to you.

T.G
11-08-2012, 10:39 PM
If you need to store the vermouth (or wine) for an extended period, just get a bottle of water, like arrowhead, sparklets, evian, etc... pour out the water, and, over the sink, pour the vermouth (or wine) into the bottle, put the cap on loosely, then start slowly crushing the bottle until the level of liquid is even with the top of the threads. Screw the cap back on and chuck it in the refrigerator. It will last much longer now that you have eliminated the air/oxygen space.

Tallman
11-22-2012, 07:10 AM
I've always been a gin and tonic drinker...and my staple gins have always been Tanqueray and Bombay. After reading this thread, I picked up a bottle of Hendricks last night. I shall report upon my first martini very soon!

pnoon
01-15-2013, 10:05 PM
My latest purchase. Haven't had a chance to open it up yet.

Counter Gin
"After several months of formulation we believe Counter Gin is destined to “rewrite” what a American gin can and should be. It’s named Counter for a good reason. Unlike so many heavily “Juniper” English and American dry gins, Counter is designed to “show off” the unique flavors of the many “handpicked” botanicals.

You’ll notice this immediately. The juniper berry is a “upfront” essential flavor that all gins must have but after the juniper you can actually pick out the Tarragon, Lavender, Verbena, Cucumber, and the Orange Peel.
This unique gin is a perfect “counter” to the old gins and hopefully, begins a new chapter in what a thoughtful, creative small craft distilled product can be."

Sounds intriguing to me.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/pnoon/Upload%20Here/counter_zps17dda9c6.jpg

Whee
03-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Finally grabbed a bottle of Death's Door. Interesting stuff. Kind of citrusy.:dr

Anybody ever had aged gin? It looks like whisky. I forgot the names of the two brands they had at the liquor store. Looks like I will need to save up some more allowance money.:r

03-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Finally grabbed a bottle of Death's Door. Interesting stuff. Kind of citrusy.:dr

Anybody ever had aged gin? It looks like whisky. I forgot the names of the two brands they had at the liquor store. Looks like I will need to save up some more allowance money.:r

I think someone brought some to Shack two years ago. It tasted a lot like whiskey if that's what that stuff was.

pnoon
05-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Bought and tried Bloom gin.
Style is a London Dry Gin. Not usually a style I prefer but this was quite good.

I also finally bought the third St George gin - Botanivore. Similar to the Terrior. Very tasty.

Blak Smyth
05-29-2013, 08:38 AM
http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws.com/526f42c2ba8b11e2983d22000a9f199e_6.jpg

I recently tried my first gin (Bluecoat). I thought it was very good with a crisp clean citrus zest.

I am new to gin, sounds like I need to find some St. Germain.

bstarrs
06-03-2013, 07:35 PM
For plain old Gin, Broker's is my favorite. And for something special I really enjoy a Hendrick's G&T with some cucumber slices. It's amazing.

crgcpro
06-03-2013, 08:42 PM
I bought some Hendrick's for a bombing run on a buddy today. Never had it though.

bstarrs
06-03-2013, 08:50 PM
I bought some Hendrick's for a bombing run on a buddy today. Never had it though.

You should definitely pick up a bottle for yourself. It's amazing stuff, just make sure you throw a cucumber slice in a Hendrick's G&T. It's so refreshing and clean on your palette.

crgcpro
06-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Sounds good. I'll give it a try.

aaron72
06-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Not sure if you guys would consider this sacrilegious or not, but I've never really tried gin until I was introduced to a Gin Buck. It actually surprised me as to how good it was.

pnoon
06-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Not sure if you guys would consider this sacrilegious or not, but I've never really tried gin until I was introduced to a Gin Buck. It actually surprised me as to how good it was.

I have no clue as to what a Gin Buck is.

qwerty1500
06-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Had to Google it ... what I found says gin and ginger ale. If you like that, you ought to try gin and Fresca ... probably my second favorite gin cocktail.

aaron72
06-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I have no clue as to what a Gin Buck is.

Sorry, it's Gin, Ginger Ale and lemon juice.

I think a more potent ginger ale is best for this like Vernor's or ginger beer.

yourchoice
06-24-2013, 12:10 PM

I've had Gin and Ginger Ale together (never knew if it had a name...just called it and Gin and Ginger). Very enjoyable.

Never added lemon juice though. :hm

06-24-2013, 02:20 PM

Wait a minute! They have Verner's ginger ale in California? :O

pnoon
07-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Bought a bottle of Uncle Val's today.
I know absolutely nothing about it nor have I read any reviews.
A totally blind buy.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server1700/e6b77/products/7320/images/7441/uncle-vals-botanical-gin__24329.1366215389.1280.1280.jpg

Ahbroody
08-24-2013, 02:41 PM
http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws.com/526f42c2ba8b11e2983d22000a9f199e_6.jpg

I recently tried my first gin (Bluecoat). I thought it was very good with a crisp clean citrus zest.

I am new to gin, sounds like I need to find some St. Germain.

If you like bluecoat and I the citrus I would also recommend Citadel, Damrak, and Magellan.

Bought a bottle of Uncle Val's today.
I know absolutely nothing about it nor have I read any reviews.
A totally blind buy.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server1700/e6b77/products/7320/images/7441/uncle-vals-botanical-gin__24329.1366215389.1280.1280.jpg

Would like to hear your impression on this if you have tried it.

As far as Favorites. Martin Miller for classic London Dry, Deaths door american style spice and juniper , Citadel very Floral and Citrus. Bluecoat is very good, but think deaths door just offers more

Seamus
08-24-2013, 04:20 PM
My current favorite is Nolet's.

yourchoice
08-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Had a Beefeater G&T tonight with a fine cigar. Very enjoyable.

replicant_argent
08-30-2013, 06:40 AM
I may have missed a release from Bombay, my favorite go-to gin. I saw that they had released a "Bombay East" when cruising through the hotel shop in Vegas at a trade show a month or so ago. Lemongrass and Vietnamese black peppercorns added as a botanical, completely up my palate alley, so to speak. Looked around locally, no dice. Either it was a limited thing or a failure or flyover country doesn't count. Anyone try it? I may have to just adulterate a bottle with adjuncts myself.

Doh, edit.... used the search button, reading up in the thread actually is worthwhile ;) . Is it still available in any markets?

pnoon
08-30-2013, 06:58 AM
I may have missed a release from Bombay, my favorite go-to gin. I saw that they had released a "Bombay East" when cruising through the hotel shop in Vegas at a trade show a month or so ago. Lemongrass and Vietnamese black peppercorns added as a botanical, completely up my palate alley, so to speak. Looked around locally, no dice. Either it was a limited thing or a failure or flyover country doesn't count. Anyone try it? I may have to just adulterate a bottle with adjuncts myself.

Doh, edit.... used the search button, reading up in the thread actually is worthwhile ;) . Is it still available in any markets?

Readily available throughout southern California.

replicant_argent
08-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Do you know if it is just regional release or out of production? I don't see any info on Bombays website, which probably tells me all I need to know.

pnoon
08-30-2013, 07:14 AM
Do you know if it is just regional release or out of production? I don't see any info on Bombays website, which probably tells me all I need to know.

As far as I know, it is still in production. Haven't heard anything to the contrary.
Regional release? I have no idea.

;s

replicant_argent
08-30-2013, 07:31 AM
As far as I know, it is still in production. Haven't heard anything to the contrary.
Regional release? I have no idea.

;s

I did it old school and just blasted them a comment via their "contact us" link on the site. Thanks for your input, sir.

Ahbroody
08-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Peter did you ever try the Uncle Vals?
Wife also seems interested in the Saffron one you posted earlier.
Prices on the hi-time wine cellar site are very good and selection is better then bevmo which is the only place decent around here.

pnoon
08-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Peter did you ever try the Uncle Vals?
Wife also seems interested in the Saffron one you posted earlier.
Prices on the hi-time wine cellar site are very good and selection is better then bevmo which is the only place decent around here.

I like Uncle Val's - a lot. Very little bite. Floral with a hint of citrus.

HiTime is an excellent place to shop. It is about a 90 minute drive for me so when I go, I make it worth my while. Back when I bought that saffron gin, they had a special on shipping. A flat $9.99 for up to 12 bottles.

Ahbroody
09-02-2013, 03:01 PM
I like Uncle Val's - a lot. Very little bite. Floral with a hint of citrus.

HiTime is an excellent place to shop. It is about a 90 minute drive for me so when I go, I make it worth my while. Back when I bought that saffron gin, they had a special on shipping. A flat $9.99 for up to 12 bottles.

How would you compare Uncle Vals to citadel or magellan if you have tried? Magellan has been interesting to a me. The Iris profile really is unique and makes it different from most. So many damn small batch gins to try.

On a side note I think I ruined my ability to like Hendricks by trying so many small batch gins before trying it. Finally grabbed a bottle at trader joes the other day. Tried a G&T with fever tree and just left me thinking of other options.

pnoon
09-02-2013, 04:57 PM
How would you compare Uncle Vals to citadel or magellan if you have tried? Magellan has been interesting to a me. The Iris profile really is unique and makes it different from most. So many damn small batch gins to try.

On a side note I think I ruined my ability to like Hendricks by trying so many small batch gins before trying it. Finally grabbed a bottle at trader joes the other day. Tried a G&T with fever tree and just left me thinking of other options.

And I'm loving every minute of it.

I've had Citadelle and Magellan and I think Uncle Val's is superior to both. But that's just one man's opinion (taste buds).

pnoon
01-15-2014, 05:17 PM
And I'm loving every minute of it.

I've had Citadelle and Magellan and I think Uncle Val's is superior to both. But that's just one man's opinion (taste buds).

Reviving an old but favorite thread. The irony is that that I am currently enjoying a martini with Uncle Val's and a splash of sake.

Here is my new fave. Very floral.

http://static.wine-searcher.net/images/labels/19/06/g-vine-floraison-gin-france-10151906.jpg

Felixcigar
01-27-2014, 12:37 PM
OK, I'll admit that I did not read the whole thread, but does no one drink Beefeater anymore?

pnoon
01-27-2014, 12:41 PM
OK, I'll admit that I did not read the whole thread, but does no one drink Beefeater anymore?

22 posts in this thread reference Beefeater.

Felixcigar
01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Then I am in good company.

pnoon
01-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Then I am in good company.

Reading here is worth the time and effort.

Ahbroody
02-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Reviving an old but favorite thread. The irony is that that I am currently enjoying a martini with Uncle Val's and a splash of sake.

Here is my new fave. Very floral.

http://static.wine-searcher.net/images/labels/19/06/g-vine-floraison-gin-france-10151906.jpg

Pete you should give the G'VINE NOUAISON a try. Doesnt come across as sweet as the floraison but nice. Not sure if you have tried Martin Miller either standard or Westbourne Strength, but if you like the Gvine I think you will like this. It has a similar underlying sweetness. Comb gin which is made from honey may also be up your alley.

local b&m has some gin guys and we have pooled together to sample a lot of things recently.

If you have a chance I would also recommend trying the following if you have not
Voyager Gin
Leopolds
Northshore #11
Comb

Two gins that were very easy to drink but no one had much of an opinion on were The Botanist and Q quintessential gin.

Things I found to be a waste of money
Sipsmith
"Boomer and Lazarus" Gvine is a better price and better taste
"Right" way too much citrus
"Prohibition" it has Cinnamon profile just nasty
"No.3 London Dry" not bad just not note worthy or worth money
"Tahoe Moonshine Gin" it reminded us of salty fish

pnoon
02-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Pete you should give the G'VINE NOUAISON a try. Doesnt come across as sweet as the floraison but nice. Not sure if you have tried Martin Miller either standard or Westbourne Strength, but if you like the Gvine I think you will like this. It has a similar underlying sweetness. Comb gin which is made from honey may also be up your alley.

local b&m has some gin guys and we have pooled together to sample a lot of things recently.

If you have a chance I would also recommend trying the following if you have not
Voyager Gin
Leopolds
Northshore #11
Comb

Two gins that were very easy to drink but no one had much of an opinion on were The Botanist and Q quintessential gin.

Things I found to be a waste of money
Sipsmith
"Boomer and Lazarus" Gvine is a better price and better taste
"Right" way too much citrus
"Prohibition" it has Cinnamon profile just nasty
"No.3 London Dry" not bad just not note worthy or worth money
"Tahoe Moonshine Gin" it reminded us of salty fish

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. Lots to research and try.
Of all that you mentioned, I've only had the Northshore, The Botanist and Right. I liked the Northshore. The Botanist and Right were just adequate.

Ahbroody
02-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Pete bevmo has some berkshire etheral gin as well as berkshire greylock gin they are put on closeout. The berkshire etheral is a limited release they do once a year I think and the profile changes on each production. The bottle label this time is orange. It has a citrus and pepper profile and is definitely worth a purchase. You may want to use the web to check the stock of local bevmos or go to one and have them check local stock. The greylock version is also good. Very smooth easy to drink.

pnoon
02-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Pete bevmo has some berkshire etheral gin as well as berkshire greylock gin they are put on closeout. The berkshire etheral is a limited release they do once a year I think and the profile changes on each production. The bottle label this time is orange. It has a citrus and pepper profile and is definitely worth a purchase. You may want to use the web to check the stock of local bevmos or go to one and have them check local stock. The greylock version is also good. Very smooth easy to drink.

Will do. Thanks.

Gabe215
02-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Want to be added in this thread, recently started dabbling with Gin, decided to give it a try previous experience was getting drunk at age 11 off a bottle Me and my buddy stole from his parents and got VERY SICK, figured to try it again as an adult. Right now I'm REALLY liking GnT with Sapphire and orange and lime slices. I've always enjoyed dirty (vodka) martinis and see a gin one in my future!

pnoon
02-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Want to be added in this thread, recently started dabbling with Gin, decided to give it a try previous experience was getting drunk at age 11 off a bottle Me and my buddy stole from his parents and got VERY SICK, figured to try it again as an adult. Right now I'm REALLY liking GnT with Sapphire and orange and lime slices. I've always enjoyed dirty (vodka) martinis and see a gin one in my future!

Fresh meat ! ! ! !

:noon:noon:noon

the MacDonald
02-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Uncle Val's for the win. A G &T withe Val's is like nectar and the only thing getting through this winter.

Lockspur
02-13-2014, 01:39 PM

I recently moved off of Bombay Sapphire and on to Hendricks. Soooo smooth.

Whee
02-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Fresh meat ! ! ! !

:noon:noon:noon

muwahahahahahahahahahah!

pnoon
02-13-2014, 10:53 PM

Not available here in southern CA - in the stores or even shipped. :sad

I'll be back in CT next month and look for it there.

TFed
02-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Love a gin and tonic. Hendricks is great in it if someone else is buying but, if it is me, tonic and lime is too much for a clear spirit to overcome.
G+T are just fine with a decent inexpensive gin.

Martini's are another story entirely!!

I do not like my martini dirty, but, i do want a few olives on a toothpick in the glass before the liquid is poured over them.

I like a traditional martini with an actual part of vermouth.
Then the rest can do no better than Tanqueray RANGPUR. Liquids in well iced glass and stir ( don't shake gin )for what seems like an eternity before straining and pouring over the olives into a chilled martini glass.

It should start a religious movement.:dr:dr:dr;)

DPD6030
02-14-2014, 01:20 AM
muwahahahahahahahahahah!

Remember that time on that point on that island in Ohio that one summer? Yup, neither do I! :D Thanks to the gin and tonics. Delicious. I can't remember what gin we had but I have some very cheap gin at home in the cabinet that I mix once in a while. I think it times to start looking into drinking more gin.

pnoon
02-14-2014, 06:36 AM
Love a gin and tonic. Me, too.
Hendricks is great in it if someone else is buying but, if it is me, tonic and lime is too much for a clear spirit to overcome. I don't think so.
G+T are just fine with a decent inexpensive gin. True. But better quality spirits make for a better cocktail

Martini's are another story entirely!! Now you're speaking my language!!

I do not like my martini dirty, but, i do want a few olives on a toothpick in the glass before the liquid is poured over them. Exactly how I like mine

I like a traditional martini with an actual part of vermouth. Try Japanese or Korean sake for a nice change of pace.
Then the rest can do no better than Tanqueray RANGPUR. :pu Nasty stuff

Liquids in well iced glass and stir ( don't shake gin )for what seems like an eternity before straining and pouring over the olives into a chilled martini glass. I shake my martinis. For me, the preferred method.

It should start a religious movement.:dr:dr;)
:al

Gabe215
02-14-2014, 06:54 AM
I heard Hendricks says to use cucumber rather than lime/any citrus with your GnT is that just a suggestion or is it pivotal? I love the citrus note in a GnT I've been using lime and orange slices is it all preference?

pnoon
02-14-2014, 07:21 AM
I heard Hendricks says to use cucumber rather than lime/any citrus with your GnT is that just a suggestion or is it pivotal? I love the citrus note in a GnT I've been using lime and orange slices is it all preference?

All preference. Put an anchovy in it if it floats your boat.

Gabe215
02-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Hahaha

TFed
02-14-2014, 08:19 AM
:al

Peter/Pnoon

I have the utmost respect for you right now!

I can only hope that someday i have the privilege of sharing a smoke and a martini with you.

While you may not share my exact taste,you obviously know your stuff.

And after reading a number of old threads here, i dare say that you are a much wiser cigar man than i.

But, with all due respect, i believe that with your obvious knowledge and experience that i could easily sway you with a well stirred martini as i have described.
Again, with all due respect, i know that you can't get one well done as i described at any bar or restaurant. They just don't have time to do it right.

But, if i made it for you, you would not only see what i mean but, be one of the few that i would trust to duplicate it.

Much love from one BOTL to Another

Terry

P.s. On your suggestion, i absolutely will try the sake!!!

But i worry about it standing up to the aromatics

pnoon
02-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Terry.

There are some here who have forgotten more than I know. I continue to learn here every day.

I would never turn down a stirred martini. I just prefer mine shaken.

It would be a pleasure to share a smoke and drink with you one day.

Brutus2600
02-14-2014, 02:11 PM
I've been on a gin kick lately. I've been drinking more Martinez than martinis though.

Been using Ransom or Hayman's Old Tom gin. Some sweet vermouth, orange bitters, a splash of Luxardo Maraschino liqueur and an expressed orange peel on top...pretty tasty!

I enjoy the Martinez as a nice change up from a Manhattan.

Ahbroody
02-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Love a gin and tonic. Hendricks is great in it if someone else is buying but, if it is me, tonic and lime is too much for a clear spirit to overcome.
G+T are just fine with a decent inexpensive gin.

It should start a religious movement.:dr:dr:dr;)

I mean this with all do respect but HELLLLL NAH!

I only drink G&Ts so I can say I have had more then 35 gins from modern to traditional London Dry. Now taking that there are 5 very different tonics in my rotation to mix with these gins all of which dramatically change the drink it is entirely more complex then stated. These tonics are all extremely different which I think is where your inexperience in the issue creates the problem. Take for example Q tonic a tonic more on the bitter side. Pair this with a gin like Gvine and your drink is completely different from pairing it with a traditional London Dry like beefeater. I find there are only a few gins I can enjoy Q with. Another good example is pairing NA Gin with cheap Schweppes which is not to bad vs pairing it with Fever Tree which becomes over citrusy almost to the point of being undrinkable to me.

This matter of tonics and their respective impact on gins is deserving of a lengthy post. I myself am a fever tree guy. But I prefer the traditional fever tree for most gins not the Mediterranean version. Then there is Fentimans which is different from Fever tree and Jack Rudy, Tomrs, Bradley Kina, etc. The last three are syrups you must mix and are much darker and impart their own very different profiles on your G&T.

So in closing I say no sir. You must first begin to dabble with the many tonics and tonic syrups out there not names Schweppes or Canada Dry to begin to understand just how much G&Ts can vary given the different Tonics and Gins.

Ahbroody
02-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Peter im interested in knowing if you are drinking Uncle Vals with Schweppes/CD or are you using Fever Tree or Fentimans? I only had Uncle Vals with Fever Tree and found the citrus over bearing much like in the New Amsterdam with Fever Tree. However as mentioned above I thought NA was much better with Schweppes.

I am guessing this is why I thought hendricks was better then Uncle Vals. Now im wondering what Uncle Vals would do with Q tonic. I dont think its sweet enough to pair well with Q though. Found Q to work well with Gvine, Comb, and Martin Miller though.

Think I should start reporting on different combinations.

pnoon
02-14-2014, 05:20 PM
Peter im interested in knowing if you are drinking Uncle Vals with Schweppes/CD or are you using Fever Tree or Fentimans? I only had Uncle Vals with Fever Tree and found the citrus over bearing much like in the New Amsterdam with Fever Tree. However as mentioned above I thought NA was much better with Schweppes.

I am guessing this is why I thought hendricks was better then Uncle Vals. Now im wondering what Uncle Vals would do with Q tonic. I dont think its sweet enough to pair well with Q though. Found Q to work well with Gvine, Comb, and Martin Miller though.

Think I should start reporting on different combinations.

To be honest Mike, my gin consumption is roughly 2/3 martini and 1/3 GnT.
I have to confess that I have not tried or experimented with tonic beyond Schweppes/CD. Sounds like I need to broaden my horizons.

My experiences with gin varieties is close to yours.

mikesr1963
02-14-2014, 05:29 PM
bishes

TFed
02-14-2014, 11:40 PM
I have to confess that I have not tried or experimented with tonic beyond Schweppes/CD. Sounds like I need to broaden my horizons.

Ditto!

I stand humbled and corrected. And I thank you for the schooling! :gary :banger

In fact, can't wait to start down the tonic experimentation road.

Feel free to :sl me any time I can use it!

02-15-2014, 10:18 AM
I too can't wait to sip a GnT and puff a cigar alongside Peter once again. Terry, perhaps if you carpool a ride over to Shack sometime, we both might get to make that happen.

qwerty1500
02-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Wow ... I've missed a lot during the last few weeks. It seems that the gin drinkers have come out of the woodwork.

Not a big fan of the heavy citrus flavors. Much more devoted to the traditional London dry gins in my martinis. And I like them wet with a dry vermouth.

Martini drinkers can go though a lot of gin. Just ask my liver doctor. And, if you like London dry gin like I do, Beefeaters is a reasonably good gin at a good price point. Plus, I've heard that it's the only London based distiller still in operation.

I've tried a lot of pricy gins and seem to always return to my old stand-bys ... Beefeater, Bombay (regular ... you can keep the Sapphire ... the almond flavor ruins it for me) and Tanqueray (love the No. 10). I guess I'm just a cheap drunk.

And, contrary to what everyone else experiences, martinis DO NOT overpower cigar flavors for me. In fact, they enhance a lot of the cigar flavors that I really like. Martinis have been my favorite cigar drink for years.

pnoon
02-17-2014, 09:07 PM

Not available here in southern CA - in the stores or even shipped. :sad

I'll be back in CT next month and look for it there.

I found the Berkshire Greylock at Total Wine.
My son will be stopping there this weekend and he'll be picking up a bottle for me.

Full report next week. :)

Ahbroody
02-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Nice.
Pete the fact that you had only had NA and Uncle Vals with Schweppes/CD was what I was hoping to hear because other wise I was going to be confused. Let me know about the Greylock.

Tried Aviation gin. I cant get around the root beer profile. I actually thought it was disgusting I could not find a tonic that made it palatable. Stuff has such an odd profile.

I think there is a bottle of etheral up here at a local shop. May grab another

pnoon
02-18-2014, 10:37 PM
I think you ARE confused. Or we both are. ;)
I've had numerous craft gins. I've never ventured beyond Schweppes/CD when it comes to tonic.

Ahbroody
02-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Not confused I know you have extensive gin experience. Sorry should have been more clear.
My comment was directed at the fact that I found Uncle Vals and NA to have an over the top citrus profile with fever tree tonic. I found NA much more drinkable with Schweppes because it doesnt bring in as much citrus as Schweppes CL. I was thinking i should revisit uncle vala with either fever tree mediteranean or fentimans or maybe jack rudy. I think this will reduce the overly citrus aspect. I was just glad that you had not liked NA or UV with fever tree or it would have confused me given the over powering citrus when drank with fever tree.

TFed
02-20-2014, 12:45 AM
So, bought some Q and some Fever tree. I have Hendricks, NA, and my beloved Rangpur. Anything else a must for right now?

Pairing suggestions?

Ahbroody
02-20-2014, 10:03 AM
The Q is a tough one you really have to just try it with your gins. To me I preferred it with sweeter gins as I mentioned in a previous post.

Last night I did Deaths Door with fever tree.

massphatness
02-21-2014, 11:47 AM
The Q is a tough one you really have to just try it with your gins. To me I preferred it with sweeter gins as I mentioned in a previous post.

Last night I did Deaths Door with fever tree.

Paging Mike to the CC MAW thread :D

ronaldbarbarren
02-21-2014, 05:06 PM
I like a Bombay & Tonic with extra limes on a hot summer afternoon.

:tu

Chris.....

Me too man. Tasted it once but haven't got the chance to buy some. But they were fine. Good taste man. :tu

Gabe215
02-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Went to total wine today, was going to buy some Hendricks but the $70 price tag turned me off because I already had a full shopping cart for the guests I'm entertaining this weekend. I told the girl that works there that I really enjoy Sapphire and she said if I like that than I'll love Citadelle, bought a 750 ml bottle for around $20. Smells fantastic, going to try it next week anyone try Citadelle before? Thoughts? Will def get the 1.75 L Hendricks but a sole purchase for next time! thanks guys!

Ahbroody
02-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Love citadel. Mentioned it prior. Top 3 sub $20 gins for me.

Gabe215
02-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Thanks, I remember reading that it was mentioned as I was buying it but was just hoping for a little more info in it

Ahbroody
02-23-2014, 01:05 AM
Citadel is just a great non traditional gin for those who like a lot of botanicals. I think it hits the mark a lot better then bombay east or tanqueray rangpur at a great price point. At least for G&Ts. I can not speak to Martinis. I didnt really like rangpur at alll. The first time I had it I really liked it but then after drinking it a few more times it just wasnt for me. Bombay East is good but I just think Citadel hits the mark so much better.

In that vein I had Beefeater 24 the other day. Its not bad but not much of anything comes to mind. They down play the heavy juniper and try to bring in citrus and tea notes. It was just boring.

GreekGodX
02-23-2014, 06:04 AM
I'm going to have to see if MI has Citadel. We have a Detroit distillery that makes Gin and they did a mistake batch that had too many botanicals. It was amazing. Two James Distillery, their production gin is really good but I liked the mistake batch more.

02-25-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm going to have to see if MI has Citadel. We have a Detroit distillery that makes Gin and they did a mistake batch that had too many botanicals. It was amazing. Two James Distillery, their production gin is really good but I liked the mistake batch more.

I need more info about this Christos.

GreekGodX
02-25-2014, 02:00 PM
I need more info about this Christos.

Old Cockney Gin.. $33.99 for a bottle. They do distribute around SE MI but I haven't seen it anywhere but at their tasting room.

The do tours too on Saturdays :al I think it is $15 and you get to try all the spirits they make plus some experimental booze too :)

Two James Spirits
2445 Michigan Avenue
Detroit, MI 48216

http://twojames.com/

I just realized if you click on "tasting room" on their website I'm in the picture with two ladies on the right side of the bar. You can see the top of my head and my hand but I know it is me ;)

02-25-2014, 02:17 PM
If they only had a smoking lounge.... ;)

We should probably figure out a way to do a herf downtown this summer with a stop at Two James worked into the mix.

pnoon
02-25-2014, 03:27 PM
I found the Berkshire Greylock at Total Wine.
My son will be stopping there this weekend and he'll be picking up a bottle for me.

Full report next week. :)

Quite enjoyable. I get some floral notes but my taste buds are a bit off due to some sinus issues. I will revisit when my head clears.

Ahbroody
03-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Okay had the pleasure of finding an amazing gin.

OOLA gin is out of Washington State and just like Voyager and DryFly from Washington it is fantastic.
Where OOLA really shines is just sipping it. It is the smootest gin we have ever had with virtually zero burn. On the nose is vanilla and citrus. The vanilla doesnt come through as heavy while sipping but it is present along with juniper and citrus. The bottle I got had a massive dent put in it from everyone sampling neat.
With tonics it was interesting. With standard fever tree it was unremarkable. With fever tree Mediterranean it was very good. With Q tonic no good. With Canada Dry it was good.

Botanica Gin from Richmond Califoria
Pepper pepper and a hint of what we thought was sarsaparilla similar to Avaiation gin but thankfully much lighter. As a whole must of us did not enjoy this gin neat at all. Tingling tounges and sarsaparilla is just weird. Did not particularly enjoy with either fever tree versions or Q. Will try with CD to see if it makes it palatable. It is unlikely this will work with any thing for me as it just reminds me of aviation which I camt stand.

pnoon
03-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Okay had the pleasure of finding an amazing gin.

OOLA gin is out of Washington State and just like Voyager and DryFly from Washington it is fantastic.
Where OOLA really shines is just sipping it. It is the smootest gin we have ever had with virtually zero burn. On the nose is vanilla and citrus. The vanilla doesnt come through as heavy while sipping but it is present along with juniper and citrus. The bottle I got had a massive dent put in it from everyone sampling neat.
With tonics it was interesting. With standard fever tree it was unremarkable. With fever tree Mediterranean it was very good. With Q tonic no good. With Canada Dry it was good.

Botanica Gin from Richmond Califoria
Pepper pepper and a hint of what we thought was sarsaparilla similar to Avaiation gin but thankfully much lighter. As a whole must of us did not enjoy this gin neat at all. Tingling tounges and sarsaparilla is just weird. Did not particularly enjoy with either fever tree versions or Q. Will try with CD to see if it makes it palatable. It is unlikely this will work with any thing for me as it just reminds me of aviation which I camt stand.

Do you realize how much money you are costing me? :sl

I mean that in a good way. :D

Gabe215
03-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Just bought some Hendricks, PA has the most screwed up liqueur laws (Spirits and wine are sold in State controlled stores that are small and have the bare essentials) I drive 20 minutes to Total Wine in DE which is MUCH better but still cannot find G'Vine, Uncle Val's and a lot of these other gins you speak of. Next time I go to NJ I'm gonna have to call around and find some!

pnoon
03-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Just bought some Hendricks, PA has the most screwed up liqueur laws (Spirits and wine are sold in State controlled stores that are small and have the bare essentials) I drive 20 minutes to Total Wine in DE which is MUCH better but still cannot find G'Vine, Uncle Val's and a lot of these other gins you speak of. Next time I go to NJ I'm gonna have to call around and find some!

Uncle Val's and G'Vine are boutique brands. I wouldn't expect them to be easy to find.

Ahbroody
03-09-2014, 07:24 PM
I wish there was a way we could do a sample pass around. Seems like it would be a lot of work though and serious potential for disaster with leakage.

Pete I have a feeling OOLA will not be a simple acquisition. I found a bottle at Beltramos a boutique liqour store up here that puts bevmo to shame. Maybe I can figure out a way to get you a sample

For the record I saved you money. Dont buy Botanica! Bam $38.00 saved

I feel spoiled I guess as Gvine and Uncle Vals are available at multiple places especially Uncle Vals

pnoon
03-09-2014, 08:00 PM
I wish there was a way we could do a sample pass around. Seems like it would be a lot of work though and serious potential for disaster with leakage.

Pete I have a feeling OOLA will not be a simple acquisition. I found a bottle at Beltramos a boutique liqour store up here that puts bevmo to shame. Maybe I can figure out a way to get you a sample

For the record I saved you money. Dont buy Botanica! Bam $38.00 saved

I feel spoiled I guess as Gvine and Uncle Vals are available at multiple places especially Uncle Vals

G'Vine is available at BevMo -2 miles from home. 1/2 mile from where I work.
Uncle Val's is at a specialty shop - ~15 miles from home.

OOLA doesn't seem to be nearby but Total Wine has it. They are ~60 miles north. But very close to where my daughter lives. She's my mule. :)

TFed
03-10-2014, 03:19 AM
My son in law infuses New Amsterdam with some high quality earl grey tea.

The result tastes like a slightly more complex Hendricks imho.

Decent gin made great with a modest amt of time and :2

Ahbroody
03-10-2014, 08:44 AM
I have seen some make your own gin kits. That sounded exciting but I fear I would totally screw it up.
The idea of taking an existing gin and tweeking it sounds fun. I may have to try this out. what brand of earl grey is he using?

Goldie
03-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Found this gem the other day while browsing my local liquor store. Makes a not so great dirty martini but a great G&T. Only $20 a bottle in Columbus, Ohio.

http://www.smoothambler.com/category/products/

pnoon
03-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Found this gem the other day while browsing my local liquor store. Makes a not so great dirty martini but a great G&T. Only $20 a bottle in Columbus, Ohio.

I'll pass.

Ahbroody
03-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Found this gem the other day at my local liquor store. Makes a not so great dirty martini but a great G&T. Only $20 a bottle in Columbus, Ohio.

It runs almost $40.00 out here in Cali at bevmo. Thought it was ok but wasnt for me especially at almost $40.

TFed
03-10-2014, 10:45 PM
He is using Rishi loose leaf earl grey tea. They sell it at Wegman's but i'm sure that there are other places to get it.

Ahbroody
03-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Grabbed a bottle of citadel the other day.
Hello old friend. I still say top 3 $U20 gins for the G&T crowd.

raisin
03-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Jeez guys, if you were real gin drinkers you would know there is only one bottle you really need:

http://www.winechateau.com/sku1371855_BULLDOG-LONDON-DRY-GIN-750ML

Always with Fentiman's and it don't need no lime...

Gabe215
03-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Does Fever Tree really make that big of a difference? I normally drink Schweppes, but at the moment I'm drinking Giant's store brand tonic out of a can. People on here often say it's a waste of good gin to put it in a GnT, and to use run of the mill cheap stuff in there. But I don't agree at all, I only drink high end Gin (Hendricks and Sapphire, and hope to get some more boutique stuff soon) and think better Gin makes a better GnT no matter what citrus I accent the drink with. With that being said does the better Tonic make the GnT that much better?? Going to Total Wine this week and might buy a bottle or 2 of Fever Tree or maybe Q Tonic and wanted your honest opinions, thanks guys!
Also was eyeing Bloom? Any thoughts on that?

pnoon
03-25-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm not knowledgeable about tonic beyond Schweppes and Canada Dry but I do like Bloom gin. Like cigars, try as many as you can and find out what pleases your palate most.
I would buy Bloom again. :2

pnoon
03-27-2014, 02:35 PM
So I stumbled upon Bulldog gin and Fever Tree tonic. Outstanding G&T. Can't see spending the coin on Fever Tree all the time but it IS very good.
:2

Gabe215
03-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Thanks Peter, I usually start my night with a Hendricks, then switch to my 1.75 ml Sapphire bottle. I bought a 4 bottle pack if fever tree that I'll use with my Hendricks, maybe my next GnT if theres any left over, then switch to the Giant store brand tonic. Had a huge list for my party this weekend and ended up passing on the Bloom (money is somewhat tight and I can't justify owning 3 bottles of gin), was also eyeing up Bulldog, Deaths Door, and Counter, so many decisions!!

Gabe215
04-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Saw this in a store today, was their last bottle, had to have it!!!
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a588/GabeP215/6615065B-2940-4A1F-8622-18F9023DF67D_zpsngkok2uf.jpg

pnoon
04-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Saw this in a store today, was their last bottle, had to have it!!!
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a588/GabeP215/6615065B-2940-4A1F-8622-18F9023DF67D_zpsngkok2uf.jpg

:dr

Let me know how you like it.

replicant_argent
04-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Oh... As a follow up. I did try the Bombay East, both as a martini, and in G&Ts (brought the bottle over to the neighbors a few weeks ago.)

Evidently I ~really~ enjoyed the G&T's, as my wife reminded me how much of an idiot I turned into. ;) And between 2.5 of us, the bottle disappeared fairly quickly. It is now available locally, and we also have a Total Wine that just opened here... Holy cow is that store dangerous. See you in rehab.

pnoon
04-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Oh... As a follow up. I did try the Bombay East, both as a martini, and in G&Ts (brought the bottle over to the neighbors a few weeks ago.)

Evidently I ~really~ enjoyed the G&T's, as my wife reminded me how much of an idiot I turned into. ;) And between 2.5 of us, the bottle disappeared fairly quickly. It is now available locally, and we also have a Total Wine that just opened here... Holy cow is that store dangerous. See you in rehab.

No kidding!

Gabe215
04-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Had the Uncle Val's and fever tree tonic! Wow, fantastic found another store that has a couple bottles this is my new go-to Gin!

Ahbroody
04-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Jeez guys, if you were real gin drinkers you would know there is only one bottle you really need:

http://www.winechateau.com/sku1371855_BULLDOG-LONDON-DRY-GIN-750ML

Always with Fentiman's and it don't need no lime...

Had Bulldog a few weeks ago. Bevmo is carrying it at a out $22 a bottle. Solid Gin at that price point. Would buy a bottle.

Currently playing with a bottle of Genius Gin out of Austin Texas. 114 proof but very easy to drink. Got a bunch of Gins we have tried I need to post about. I swear we are going to hit the end of the rainbow soon but we keep finding new Gins.

Forgot to give my dont ever buy notice on a gin. Beefeater Wet! Dont ever buy this horrid mess. I paid $8 and firmly believe I should have been paid $8 to take this. Imagine if you will rubbing alcohol with essence of Peach on top. Who ever made this should be kicked sqaw in the nuts multiple times. Crap!

Gabe215
04-06-2014, 05:41 PM
We will never hit the end of the rainbow, Monkey 47 (Black Forest in Germany) just broke a deal with an importer and will soon be sold in the states, I've looked at websites that sell it in the UK and it seems crazy expensive though but is rated very high like $45 for 500 ml, also never heard of anyone trying Williams Chase Elegant Crisp Gin (UK) also crazy expensive both are on my bucket list! If anyone has tried these do tell I'd like to hear your opinions! Thanks!

Gabe215
04-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Just finished a bottle if Taquerey 10, would always start my nights with a better Gin, all I can say it that it was smooth but not in a good way more of a Vodka kinda way. Smelled like a little bit of Gin and mostly nail polish remover, not enough of a juniper/botanical flavor that I crave in my Gin, would never spend money on it I'd take Sapphire or even Citadelle any day of the week for an intermediate Gin!

Chimneyfish
04-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Awesome! there's a great ol' Gin thread! :D
hard to find these nowadays as people think you're a sad old man who just lost their great-grand daughters if you even touch gin.

Botanist is still my preferred drink of choice. cheap and very flowery. compliments a lot of cigars that are all floral and earthy, too! but i haven't paired gin with it for a while....... summer's here... soon.

any other good recommendations on Gins? i've also taken a shining to Plymouth.

pnoon
04-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Awesome! there's a great ol' Gin thread! :D
hard to find these nowadays as people think you're a sad old man who just lost their great-grand daughters if you even touch gin.

Botanist is still my preferred drink of choice. cheap and very flowery. compliments a lot of cigars that are all floral and earthy, too! but i haven't paired gin with it for a while....... summer's here... soon.

any other good recommendations on Gins? i've also taken a shining to Plymouth.
Always good to find another gin lover.

Take the time to read the entire thread, Jeremy.
Tons of recommendations.

Gabe215
04-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Welcome!! :tu
I agree I'm 28 and nobody I know touches Gin, although I have turned some of my friends on to it! There's really nothing like it!

As Peter said read all 12 pages there's tons of info on here, and you'll have an expensive shopping list next time you run to the store!

Chimneyfish
04-25-2014, 07:33 PM
cheers mates. will take it to a quick skim right now! :D

Welcome!! :tu
I agree I'm 28 and nobody I know touches Gin, although I have turned some of my friends on to it! There's really nothing like it!

As Peter said read all 12 pages there's tons of info on here, and you'll have an expensive shopping list next time you run to the store!
Ha! i just turned 19 and absolutely love the stuff. straight or half and half in a medium Martini. Always have a bottle of The Botanist underneath my computer table. it's so cheap i don't feel badly about drinking it at all!

and honestly, i'm into gin for two reasons besides flavour: 1. can make it at home 2. cheapness. :dr i don't want any expensive gins!! :(

Chimneyfish
04-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Tanqueray 10........ never knew Gin benefited from ageing
Cadenhead’s Old Raj Dry Gin... not available here at my government liquor stores. not many gins are... even the Botantist is only seasonal... in other words, won't be able to buy in the fall, again.

None of these are available:
Here is what I have been enjoying lately.

St. George Dry Rye Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/ST-GEORGE-DRY-RYE-GIN-750.html

St. George Terroir Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/ST.-GEORGE-TERROIR-GIN-750.html

Boudier Saffron Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/BOUDIER-SAFFRON-GIN-750.html

Dry Fly Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/DRY-FLY-GIN-WASHINGTON-750.html

Blade Gin
http://www.hitimewine.net/BLADE-GIN-750.html

man, i just keep searching.... 15 suggestions later and none of these gins are in my local Inventory controlled stores.
Ah well..... sticking to my Botanist and my attempted creations won't be TOO bad :)

Gabe215
04-25-2014, 07:50 PM
More power to you!!
As stated in an older post I drank warm shots of it when I was 11 or 12 out of a friends parents liquor cabinet and got so sick id never drink it again! 15 years later tried it and fell in love! Either way welcome and I'll leave it at this- a better gin does make a hell of a difference!

Chimneyfish
04-26-2014, 08:25 PM
More power to you!!
As stated in an older post I drank warm shots of it when I was 11 or 12 out of a friends parents liquor cabinet and got so sick id never drink it again! 15 years later tried it and fell in love! Either way welcome and I'll leave it at this- a better gin does make a hell of a difference!
ha! great story there :). that's the same sentiments that i tell my mates. sooner or later, they'll start loving it!!

lukem
04-29-2014, 04:27 PM
My friend turned me on to Gin and Tonic recently. I picked up a big bottle of Hendrick's Gin from Costco. Been making a stiff drink with a little tonic and juice from half a lime. I have to say they are quite tasty and have had a few with cigars already. As the summer gets closer here in New Orleans, I see a lot more of them on the hot days ahead.

lukem
04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
More power to you!!

This is the exact same thing that happened to me. One summer before 10th grade we were doing shots of everything in my mom's liquor cabinet. We got to the gin, I took one shot and ran to the sink. Haven't touched it since then until a few weeks ago and really like it now.

Ahbroody
04-29-2014, 05:55 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/20140429_164224.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/ahbroody/media/20140429_164224.jpg.html)

will be reviewing these in the coming days. Took a trip to Vancouver for my son to play in a hickey tournament. Spent 2 days in Washington visiting friends and family. Washington has an a lot of very small distillers making gins. I only bought 3 bottles but could have purchased 10-12 was very frustrating trying to decide.

pnoon
04-29-2014, 05:57 PM
You're a drain on my wallet, Mike.

I look forward to your reviews.

Gabe215
04-29-2014, 06:02 PM
I also look forward to the reviews especially 3 Howls!

Ahbroody
04-29-2014, 07:31 PM
This is not the 3 howls navy strength that just won some awards. Its standard issue. Will review one tonight.

Pete a lot of these are extremely difficult to obtain out of state. I found a store that will work with me, but involves pre purchasing a fedex box and using a courier. More likely I will just have a friend or family member do the deed, but hate asking family for stuff like that.

Ahbroody
04-29-2014, 07:38 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/20140428_104057.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/ahbroody/media/20140428_104057.jpg.html)URL=http://s23.photobucket.com/user/ahbroody/media/20140428_104104.jpg.html]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/20140428_104104.jpg[/URL]URL=http://s23.photobucket.com/user/ahbroody/media/20140428_104136.jpg.html]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/20140428_104136.jpg[/URL]

Ahbroody
04-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Just a little torture for you boys. This is less then half of the local stuff. There were multiple bottles I forgot to photo. Including some very small batch local producers. Lot of folks doing barrel aged up there also.

pnoon
04-29-2014, 07:43 PM
Just a little torture for you boys. This is less then half of the local stuff. There were multiple bottles I forgot to photo. Including some very small batch local producers. Lot of folks doing barrel aged up there also.

Booking my flight now.
(Where am I going? :))

Ahbroody
04-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Seattle then drive straight here
http://wineworldspirits.com/selection/spirits/spirits-list/

end of may were going to LA for a hockey tournament and im driving. Going to go batshet crazy at hitime wines

pnoon
04-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Seattle then drive straight here
http://wineworldspirits.com/selection/spirits/spirits-list/

end of may were going to LA for a hockey tournament and im driving. Going to go batshet crazy at hitime wines

Ruh-roh.

Chimneyfish
05-02-2014, 12:37 AM
wowsers! that's absolutely fantastic.

gives me another reason to visit the West coast now! the prices are also absolutely fantastic!! :tu

replicant_argent
05-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Took a trip to Vancouver for my son to play in a hickey tournament.

I would like to digress for a moment on how uncomfortable most of the parents must have been, being forced to watch that tournament. I understand now why the gin may have been a salve of types. Odd activity, that.

Ahbroody
05-09-2014, 07:04 PM
I also look forward to the reviews especially 3 Howls!

Of the three the Griffon is by far the best for G&Ts. It has a citrus and faint vanilla profile with minimal heat or pepper. To me I think it has done the vanilla better then the OOLA(also washington based) as it is not overbearing but much more complimentary. Its layered very well with the citrus and drinks fairly easily neat.

I have to sip 3 howls a bit to get a better grasp on its profile. It has a fair bit of pepper and a little heat to it. It just didnt give me pause while drinking it.

The Spy Hop. The Spy Hop I got was not the standard release but the thimble berry. I would really like to try the others. I honestly think this gin is best enjoyed neat. It is unbelievably smooth. Drinking it neat you can get the berry in the back ground but when adding tonic it becomes muddled. Its a very delicate gin with lots of little nuances. It seems like their gins model St. Georges with some of their offerings, but having had St Georges I give the nod the spy hop for quality. I have tried it with fever tree, Q and CD. I think i will try it fentimans soon to see what it does.

if you are Vancouver do not by Urban Distillers Bear Spirits Gin. Like Botanica it is over the top with Anise. I dont like black liqourice and dont understand why sone boutique gin producers go this route.

Ahbroody
05-09-2014, 07:05 PM
I would like to digress for a moment on how uncomfortable most of the parents must have been, being forced to watch that tournament. I understand now why the gin may have been a salve of types. Odd activity, that.

Bump bump bah baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Gabe215
05-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Read about this Gin a while back and while at Total Wine in Delaware tonight saw they finally carry it! German Gin made in the Black Forest! But the price tag for 375ml kinda went up my ass! When I'm in a better spot financially I will def be buying this! Any of you Ballers can get your hands on this please post a review!
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a588/GabeP215/Mobile%20Uploads/4C0D2FDC-B801-42CC-AA19-715B1790CCFA_zpslvu8mbjp.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/GabeP215/media/Mobile%20Uploads/4C0D2FDC-B801-42CC-AA19-715B1790CCFA_zpslvu8mbjp.jpg.html)

pnoon
05-27-2014, 07:45 PM
I've heard great things about this gin. But you're right about the price.

Chimneyfish
06-05-2014, 12:06 PM
honestly... the price kinda makes me WANT to buy it.

just to see what kind of bloody gin would warrant that price!!

Ahbroody
06-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Two local places have it. $47.99 for 375ml. So basically $100 for a bottle.
Talked to a assosciate at one of the stores who is a big gin guy. He said it was worth the price. Said best Gin he has ever had and this is at K&L Wines. A fairly upscale shop with a great selection. Will grab a bottle next month.

Yesterday I picked up 3 new Gins yesterday. DH Krahn, Dorthy Parker, and Old Tom Ransom. Old Tom is really good neat. Kind of amazing what barrel aging does to gin. Also had them order a bottle of Sun Liqours hedge trimmer gin from their Hollywood Store. Wanted to buy it when I was in Seattle but passed.

pnoon
06-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Two local places have it. $47.99 for 375ml. So basically $100 for a bottle.
Talked to a assosciate at one of the stores who is a big gin guy. He said it was worth the price. Said best Gin he has ever had and this is at K&L Wines. A fairly upscale shop with a great selection. Will grab a bottle next month.

Yesterday I picked up 3 new Gins yesterday. DH Krahn, Dorthy Parker, and Old Tom Ransom. Old Tom is really good neat. Kind of amazing what barrel aging does to gin. Also had them order a bottle of Sun Liqours hedge trimmer gin from their Hollywood Store. Wanted to buy it when I was in Seattle but passed.

As always, I look forward to your feedback.

Ahbroody
06-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Couple of dont bother buying notes.

Blue Zephyr tastes like rubbing alcohol with juniper. Fair amount of burn also. In this now plentiful market of gins its just a waste of money with so many better options.

Sun Liqours Hedge Trimmer Gin. The first time I have come across a Washington State Gin i would not recommend. Nothing stood out to me about this gin. It had a large amount of burn neat and I could pick up the sasparilla they add in which im not a fan. In a G&T it just fades to almost nothing making it very boring.

Gabe215
06-20-2014, 11:28 PM
Another don't bother- Bulldog, I tried it last weekend and thought it was over rated and not worth the money, was just OK. Rather have lost of other gins, the store had uncle Val's for $6 more I should've grabbed that, but I figured try as many gins as I can, I think the Botanist is next, anyone ever try before?

pnoon
06-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Another don't bother- Bulldog, I tried it last weekend and thought it was over rated and not worth the money, was just OK. Rather have lost of other gins, the store had uncle Val's for $6 more I should've grabbed that, but I figured try as many gins as I can, I think the Botanist is next, anyone ever try before?

I've had The Botanist and it's decent but not impressive.

On the other hand, I really enjoy Bulldog. I'm not sure what you paid. I picked it up for $22.

Gabe215
06-21-2014, 03:46 PM
I was at the Jersey Shore so prices are a little inflated! Wasn't bad just nothing to write home about. Thanks I'll skip the botanist, was at TW today and saw some small batch stuff that I'll try when I'm out of what I have left!