PDA

View Full Version : One last shipping question

jerseystepup
02-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Ive been taking my packages to the P.O. the last week and had everything shipped from there. Just bought a new printer today and am going to be doing it from home. So i just printed my first label and i selected the DC# option.. Where is the DC# though? am i missing something?

68TriShield
02-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I think you need to physically have the tracking slip with the number on it Randy.

jerseystepup
02-21-2010, 04:21 PM
So if im doing the shipping from home i cant provide a tracking #?

Blindjimme
02-21-2010, 04:25 PM
The tracking # will be on the shipping label when you print it out.

jerseystepup
02-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Im not seeing it anywhere?? maybe im missing it?

stevieray
02-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Is there a bar code printed on the address label?

jerseystepup
02-21-2010, 04:38 PM
yea, with a # underneath it wayyyyy longer than any tracking # that anyones ever given me

Smokin Gator
02-21-2010, 04:42 PM
When it asks if the label printed correctly and I click yes, it puts up the DC #. It is also in that longer number, but I forget if you take numbers off the beginning or the end.

Also, if you go back to your account it should show you labels that have been printed and give you the #s.

Footbag
02-21-2010, 04:42 PM
When I print my label, half of it is the actual shipping label and the other half is a receipt of sorts. It has the instructions and tracking. The slip in front of me has the DC# at the top left.

jerseystepup
02-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Got it! thanks guys :)

Blindjimme
02-21-2010, 04:45 PM
It was way longer Randy. In that long number is the DC# Maybe starts with 94XX XXxx etc.

jerseystepup
02-21-2010, 04:47 PM
yea it actually does start with 94... what through me off was that the last set of #'s for the dc# was two digits, and ive only seen sets of four. (if that makes sense) Thanks again guys, im still learning this end of the slope :)

tenbaseg
02-21-2010, 06:09 PM
yea it actually does start with 94... what through me off was that the last set of #'s for the dc# was two digits, and ive only seen sets of four. (if that makes sense) Thanks again guys, im still learning this end of the slope :)

Yeah the DC's now end in 2 digits. That's it!

jerseystepup
02-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Ok. Another hitch. Of course nothing for me runs smooth. So when I printed the label out last night I had guessed and wrote 2 lbs. Now my gf went to drop it off at the P.O. For me this am and since they weren't open yet she stuck it in the blue box out front. Then she tells me about the sticker on the box that said something like "stamped envelopes weighing more than 13 ounces must be dropped off at front counter". Now what do u think will happen now? Think my package will still go out or no?

ChasDen
02-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Depends on the people at the PO.

I believe, not sure, but think that whole thing started after 9/11. If I drop a box in the PO by my house they refuse it and send it back to me. The PO where I use to work would take them and all was well. So I think it depends on the guy emptying the collection box.

Chas

jerseystepup
02-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Awesome. I guess we'll see.

T.G
02-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Ok. Another hitch. Of course nothing for me runs smooth. So when I printed the label out last night I had guessed and wrote 2 lbs. Now my gf went to drop it off at the P.O. For me this am and since they weren't open yet she stuck it in the blue box out front. Then she tells me about the sticker on the box that said something like "stamped envelopes weighing more than 13 ounces must be dropped off at front counter". Now what do u think will happen now? Think my package will still go out or no?

As the postmaster at my PO explained it to me when I asked about that baack when they changed the rule to 10oz, then upped it to 13oz: If you paid the postage online, that's not considered stamped. Stamps means stick-on stamps. Online postage can be tracked back for accountability via the credit card that was used to pay. Stamped there is no accountability.

As for guessing the weight, get a stack of flat rate boxes in various sizes so you don't need to worry about the weight. You can get them from the PO or you can order them on line from USPS for free (under shipping supplies IIRC).

shilala
02-22-2010, 09:42 AM
I just leave all my boxes on the porch for the mailman. It's way easier. :tu

14holestogie
02-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I just leave all my boxes on the porch for the mailman. It's way easier. :tu

I haven't tried that yet. I'm leery of someone walking off with them in my neighborhood.

It would come in handy today, though. I've got 9 boxes of golf balls I need to drop off at the PO today. Three trips up the steps. :td

PeteSB75
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
You can go the flat-rate way if you want, but you will pay twice as much as otherwise for shipping. Regardless, you can get priority mailing packaging for free from the PO. They will ship you boxes if you request them off the website.

The vast majority of my cigar shipments are under 1lb, I think most are the same. Just from general recall, I think I needed about 20+ cigars to make it over a pound, including box. I use a simple food scale (http://www.target.com/Taylor-Digital-Food-Scale/dp/B001GD3EB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=food%20scale&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=Taylor%20Digital%20Food%20Scale&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Cta rget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=target104545&searchPage=1&field_keywords=food%20scale) from the kitchen to weigh things.

shilala
02-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I haven't tried that yet. I'm leery of someone walking off with them in my neighborhood.

It would come in handy today, though. I've got 9 boxes of golf balls I need to drop off at the PO today. Three trips up the steps. :td
I'm fortunate that I live where I can leave whatever I want out whenever I want to. I'm not sure if it's because the neighborhood is that good, or that I'm crazy and heavily armed.
Either way, I like it. :)

14holestogie
02-22-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm fortunate that I live where I can leave whatever I want out whenever I want to. I'm not sure if it's because the neighborhood is that good, or that I'm crazy and heavily armed.
Either way, I like it. :)

:D

I'm not sure they WOULD disappear, it's just that if they would, I'd have nothing to replace them, for the most part. And to refund money that I've already turned over to my latest cigar purchase would really tick me off. :rolleyes:

shilala
02-22-2010, 10:26 AM
:D

I'm not sure they WOULD disappear, it's just that if they would, I'd have nothing to replace them, for the most part. And to refund money that I've already turned over to my latest cigar purchase would really tick me off. :rolleyes:
I'd DEFINATELY drop them off at the PO. :tu
Another thought...
You can schedule a pickup online, and I do believe the mailman will knock on the door for the pickup. Of course that doesn't help if no one is home, but it's a safe option.

T.G
02-22-2010, 10:37 AM
You can go the flat-rate way if you want, but you will pay twice as much as otherwise for shipping. Regardless, you can get priority mailing packaging for free from the PO. They will ship you boxes if you request them off the website.

That's a very generalized statement that really depends on a number of variables like the shipping method, the zone and weight. Sometimes it's correct, sometimes not.

bobarian
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
A DC# is not a tracking number. USPS does not provide tracking on Priority or First Class shipments. The DC# is for Delivery Confirmation only, sometimes packages are scanned enroute but not always. If you want tracking ship UPS or Fed Ex.

PeteSB75
02-22-2010, 11:07 AM
That's a very generalized statement that really depends on a number of variables like the shipping method, the zone and weight. Sometimes it's correct, sometimes not.

You are absolutely right. Especially since I just went back to the PO website and realized that they've added a small flat rate box since i last checked it out that is $4.95 to ship and basically the same size as the priority boxes I currently have. Last time I checked, I only saw the medium one for 10.70.

jerseystepup
02-22-2010, 11:49 AM
So if I printed a priority flat rate sticker out and paid for postage prior to it going to the PO I should be ok?

T.G
02-22-2010, 12:04 PM
So if I printed a priority flat rate sticker out and paid for postage prior to it going to the PO I should be ok?

In theory, yes. In practice, one would hope, but there is always the possibility that a misinformed employee might have an issue with an online paid flat rate box just left in the mailbox. Although, if your PO has one of the big blue parcel boxes or an APC machine, it's doubtful that you will have any problems.

If it gets rejected for some reason, when you get the package back, you just go up to the counter and politely ask to speak to the postmaster about it. Your postmaster should be informed as to the current regulations and once you've brought the issue to their attention, one would hope that he/she would remind employees of the proper regulations.

Note, you must have the USPS supplied packaging that is pre-printed with "Priority Mail - FLAT RATE" on box to get the flat rate. If you use a flat rate box, it doesn't matter what the weight is or what you punch in on the computer, just so long as neither is over the maximum weight (IIRC like 40 or 80lbs domestic**, 4-10lbs for international, but don't quote me on that)

bobarian
02-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Flat rate has to go in a flat rate box. Other sized boxes do not qualify for Flat Rate. If you are shipping cigars, use a Video 2 box, these are available from the USPS supply website. With this box you can ship 5 cigars for $4.95 with free Delivery Confirmation if you pay online.

Did you read the Shipping Sticky?

jerseystepup
02-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Yea no ive done all that, i had the post office deliver over 50 boxes to my house last week, and ive printed the flat rate priority shipping label here at home.. i was wondering now about the mailbox situation.

bobarian
02-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Why not just have them picked up at your house? Just check the box for pickup and poof! they are gone. :D

jerseystepup
02-22-2010, 01:30 PM
i had several boxes that needed to go and i unfortunatly wouldnt trust them on my porch, i live in a not so great neighborhood. If i were to be home when the postman comes than yea but i didnt have that option this time... but yea i did see that as a choice when i was paying for the shipping.

The gf assures me that the wording on the p.o. box specificly said "stamped envelopes weighing over 13 ounces" so hopefully since theyre not stamped or an envelope ill be ok.

bobarian
02-22-2010, 01:51 PM
The Post Office has a bin for package drops. Larger boxes will not fit in a regular Blue PO box.

jerseystepup
02-22-2010, 02:34 PM
My small flat rate box fit in the blue PO box outside the post office.. i guess well see.

shilala
02-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I've dumped tons of small flat rate boxes in the big blue mailboxes. Our blue mailboxes say the same thing, too. Never had an issue.
That doesn't mean it's okay, or that you won't have a problem, Randy. I'm just letting you know I've done it zillions of times over the years.
My PO is really cool and the guys that work there are awesome. If there's ever any kind of problem whatsoever, Joe or Matt will call me. Never had an issue with the little boxes in the mailbox and never had one returned. That said, it might be an issue in a larger more sensitive area, and I have no idea what the official policy is, or how the rule is written.
My guess is that it's a mandated rule and, as such, should be in the postal regulations. I know you can read them online, I've had to do that a number of times over the years in order to keep on top of bird shipping regulations.

jerseystepup
02-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Scott after reading your post i dug around for a minute and found this on the click-n-ship faqs.

Online shipping is as convenient as your neighborhood mailbox. You can drop your Priority Mail® service and domestic Express Mail® service pieces with PC Postage labels in any Collection Box®,

shilala
02-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Scott after reading your post i dug around for a minute and found this on the click-n-ship faqs.

Online shipping is as convenient as your neighborhood mailbox. You can drop your Priority Mail® service and domestic Express Mail® service pieces with PC Postage labels in any Collection Box®,
That pretty much wraps that up. :tu
Thanks, Randy!!! :)

T.G
02-22-2010, 03:04 PM
:bh:bh

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ipalatt/die_thread_die.jpg

shilala
02-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Adam, it's 4 pounds for International flat rate and 70 pounds for domestic. We hashed that out in a different thread yesterday. :D
:bh:bh

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ipalatt/die_thread_die.jpg

T.G
02-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Adam, it's 4 pounds for International flat rate and 70 pounds for domestic. We hashed that out in a different thread yesterday. :D

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=483&pictureid=3758