PDA

View Full Version : Cabanos H-2000 Tobusto

BC-Axeman
02-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Back story: My uncle was a cigar boom victim in the '90s. He was in some cigar of the month clubs. He amassed a large collection and the his doctor told him to quit smoking. He gave me his collection. Most of them I donated to the the troops but the Cabanas looked interesting so I kept it.

I found this by searching:
Cabanas H-2000 Torbusto
Cabanas is a classic brand that has been around forever. Cabaņas cigars have a tradition going as far back as 1733. The newer Habana 2000 offers the gorgeous H-2000 wrapper, a hybrid leaf that combines characteristics of both Connecticut shade and Cuban tobaccos, and offers a fuller, richer flavor and dark color, combined with the smooth feel of a Connecticut wrapper. Each cigar is either individually tissue-wrapped or cedar-wrapped. And hey, the cigar is pretty dang good too. The Torbusto is a chunky figurado shape that is a cross between a robusto and a torpedo shape. It is a hand made smoke from La Romana, Dominican Republic. This version was introduced in 1998 and expanded in 1999. The wrapper is from Nicaragua, the binder is from the Dominican Republic, and the filler is from Brazil, the Dominican Republic, and Connecticut. Any way you look at it, the Cabanas H-2000 is one rich, full-flavored cigar.The foot of the cigar is about 50 RG. Half way back it starts to taper down to about 30 RG at the triple capped head. It was double wrapped in tissue with the band outside. It must be about ten years old.
The write up above does not give a hint at what this gar tasted like. It was sweet, aromatic, hints of nutmeg or clove and had a good amount of nicotine. The burn was perfect. It always had a perfect amount of smoke. The odor from the cigar was intoxicating. In a blind tasting it would have beat most of the best Cuban cigars. Alas, this was probably my first and last taste of this. The lingering finish makes me want to find more. Thanks Uncle Joe.:tu

icehog3
02-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Sounds like an interesting cigar, Lance. :tu

Whipper Snapper
02-20-2010, 10:20 PM
This is a cool review for a cool cigar. Pity there ain't any pics!

VirtualSmitty
02-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I remember those! I smoked a torbusto years back (02?), they used to sell them at JR cigars on the cheap. I think the Cabanas brand is still around, but relegated to cheap bundled cigars.

BC-Axeman
02-22-2010, 11:58 AM
I remember those! I smoked a torbusto years back (02?), they used to sell them at JR cigars on the cheap. I think the Cabanas brand is still around, but relegated to cheap bundled cigars.
From what I found it did seem to be a cheapie from the boom years. But age had served it well. Some cigars seem to fade away, some bring forward bad tastes. I never smoked one of these before to compare but was blown away at how good it tasted. I hope the troops get some good surprises out of the stick I sent them.