PDA

View Full Version : My Old House Part 2: Question for the plumbers

Drat
02-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Once again thanks everybody for being so great and thanks CA admins for creating such a great place for these great people to congregate!

For those who didn't see my Electrician Question thread, I recently bought a 90 year old house and am discovering problem after problem as time goes by.

The latest to hit us was sewage backing up from the crawl space drain. I had the plumbers out today and $1300 later, we can flush again. Only problem is that we took a camera look down the line running out of the house and not 2 feet beyond the first turn we saw a 1.5" thick root that had broken the line. The camera could only go another foot past that root when we saw another break in the line.

The end result is that they are quoting me $5500 for a fix of that immediate area where the break is, and $9000 for a complete line "sleeving" from the house to the main. NJ is wacky in that city responsibility (legally) is only for the main. Homeowners are responsible for water and sewer all the way to the main.

My question is this. Does this sound reasonable?

Access to the line to the main could only really be achieved by digging outside the house. The crawl space limits the machinery they can use from the existing access points.

Once again, thanks for any help you guys can provide!

The Postman
02-20-2010, 03:50 PM
In our 50 year old neighborhood, replacing those lines is a regular thing. I know a fellow that does this for a living as part of his trenching business, I will check with hime on Monday, and maybe he can give me an idea of what they usually charge for that.

RGD.
02-20-2010, 04:21 PM
It would help to know how far a run it is to the main. Do they have to cross a curb or cut asphalt. How about those trees? How close are they? It's been awhile since I had mine done, but for 40 some feet was around 5K - and that was to replace in a 12 foot deep dig.

In most areas the homeowner is responsible for the connection to the main or curb - depending on where the main is located. For me the main is about 25 plus feet out in the court so I'm only responsible to the curb.

Since they got it running at the moment, you have a little time until it backs up again so shop around some estimates. And don't be afraid to let them know that you are getting estimates.

Good luck with it all.

Ron

Drat
02-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. There are no trees, just a bug bush that we were planning on removing in spring anyway. We have about 15' of line to the sidewalk. I'm pretty sure the main is in the middle of the street. The first quote was just a short, 5' replacement (which will probably turn into a $7k 15' replacement). The $9k quote was for the same replacement and the inserting of a sleeve into the rest of the pipe all the way to the main. That sleeve is seamless and guaranteed for 50 years.