PDA

View Full Version : Which burns faster: bottom or top?

Razorhog
02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
I can never remember. If a stogie starts to burn uneven, do you put the more burned part up or down? When the cigar is horizontal, that is.

neoflex
02-19-2010, 03:31 PM
I believe it's the bottom that burns faster. At least in the car that is usually how it works so the part that is burning faster would have to be rotated up if looking at it horz.

icehog3
02-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I touch it up with my torch lighter, Beau, never gave much thought to turning the cigar one way or the other.

Razorhog
02-19-2010, 03:36 PM
I touch it up with my torch lighter, Beau, never gave much thought to turning the cigar one way or the other.

I usually do that too. But sometimes it is a minor problem that can be helped by holding or laying it down a certain way.
I think Neo is right - something about more oxygen on the bottom?

The Poet
02-19-2010, 03:37 PM
I've been told to keep the bottom of the canoe down, not up.

This is especially important if you cannot swim. :ss

Razorhog
02-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Found this on cigarnexus:
2. *Rotate the slower burning side to the bottom. The bottom side of the cigar will burn faster since smoke does not inhibit the oxygen from feeding the burn. This is an excellent technique for keeping cigars burning even, but may not be drastic enough to completely prevent running.

Razorhog
02-19-2010, 03:40 PM
I've been told to keep the bottom of the canoe down, not up.

This is especially important if you cannot swim. :ss

That's a good way to remember it, thanks!

icehog3
02-19-2010, 03:40 PM
So there ya go. :) :tu

I will continue to touch up and just rotate my glass of tequila. ;)

Col. Kurtz
02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I think I remember Lew Rothman saying to put the less burned side down. Supposedly O2 can get to the bottom better and even out the burn.

Once I light, I rarely fool with a cigar. Putting the less burned side down seems to work for me. But, again I don't usually fool with it. Touching up seems to heat up the smoke too much for me.

In an extreme case, I'll whip out the torch. That is rare.