PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Question

jerseystepup
02-18-2010, 06:16 AM
I'm trying to send a package out to a BOTL via USPS priority mail flat rate shipping... I have one of their flat rate boxes that i got sent to me from another botl... now when i try and print the label out on USPS.com the only options i see i have to enter the weight of the box... i see nothing for flat rate shipping... am i missing something?

shilala
02-18-2010, 06:19 AM
Go ahead and enter any weight under 3 pounds. On the next screen you will choose the flat rate box and the price will be right. :tu

pnoon
02-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Go ahead and enter any weight under 3 pounds. On the next screen you will choose the flat rate box and the price will be right. :tu
I'm almost :tpd:
The choice of boxes is on the following page but the weight limit for flat rate, I believe is 70 lbs. Not 3.

jerseystepup
02-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Thank you gentleman... and then this can be dropped in any big blue mailbox correct?

Kreth
02-18-2010, 06:34 AM
The choice of boxes is on the following page but the weight limit for flat rate, I believe is 70 lbs. Not 3.
Anyone tried something close to the limit? The flat rate boxes are kinda flimsy, just wondering how they hold up...
Posted via Mobile Device

pnoon
02-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Thank you gentleman... and then this can be dropped in any big blue mailbox correct?
As long as they fit. The small ones are no problem. I doubt the medium & large would fit in most mailboxes.
Anyone tried something close to the limit? The flat rate boxes are kinda flimsy, just wondering how they hold up...
Posted via Mobile Device

Good question. Sounds like a fun experiment.

jerseystepup
02-18-2010, 06:44 AM
What weighs more 70 lbs of bricks or 70 lbs of feathers? :)

elderboy02
02-18-2010, 06:47 AM
What weighs more 70 lbs of bricks or 70 lbs of feathers? :)

They both weigh the same ;) Funny guy :D

Apparently the boxes hold up well, b/c I hear the gun guys saying all the time how they ship their empty shells to people that re-load.

Col. Kurtz
02-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, back when these started some skirmishers ship blocks of lead in those. One vendor actually had a mold made up the size of a medium flat rate box. IIRC, there was about 115lbs of lead in those boxes. Thus the 70 lb limit now. :D

Oh, and the boxes were in pretty rough shape when they arrived. The USPS would have to tape the heck out of them in transit.

shilala
02-18-2010, 07:12 AM
I think you're right, Peter. I was thinking there was a limit on the small flat rate box, but it's four pounds for international shipments.

WyoBob
02-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I got 60 lbs of lead alloy, flat rate shipping, the other day from a friend who I told I'd cast some 125gr 9mm bullets for. The mailman is a skinny guy but said he didn't mind.

This is what 60lbs of bar alloy looks like after I get done with it:tu Made around 3,360 bullets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/Guns/DSCN2124.jpg

Footbag
02-18-2010, 05:39 PM

Most mailboxes have a limit of something like 2LBS. For that reason, I drop any heavier packages off at the post office.

Col. Kurtz
02-18-2010, 06:26 PM
I got 60 lbs of lead alloy, flat rate shipping, the other day from a friend who I told I'd cast some 125gr 9mm bullets for. The mailman is a skinny guy but said he didn't mind.

This is what 60lbs of bar alloy looks like after I get done with it:tu Made around 3,360 bullets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/Guns/DSCN2124.jpg

Awesome! Will you cast my minies? :D

3200+, wow. That would take me about six months to cast... Must be more than a single cavity..

jerseystepup
02-18-2010, 08:44 PM
How does this change if I'm shipping from US to canada?

The Postman
02-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Its not that much more if you are shipping Air Parcel Post from the US to Canada. An average box of cigars should not cost more than 4 or 5 buck. If you go priority, it will be more. I have used Air PP for over 7 years now doing Ebay sales, and have not lost a parcel yet going to the states.

Kreth
02-18-2010, 08:55 PM
How does this change if I'm shipping from US to canada?
It's more expensive, and you have to fill out a Customs form. But if you use Click N Ship, you can print the form when you print your label.
Posted via Mobile Device

jerseystepup
02-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Anything specific i should know about the customs form? how much more are we talking in regards to the small flat rate box?

cort
02-18-2010, 08:58 PM

The blue boxes here by me have a limit of 13 oz. Anything heavier has to be dropped at the P.O.:tu

Kreth
02-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Anything specific i should know about the customs form? how much more are we talking in regards to the small flat rate box?
Here (http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-international-prices.htm)'s the international rates. Don't put "cigars" on the form, a lot of guys put "candles" or something innocuous like that...
Posted via Mobile Device

Rabidsquirrel
02-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

On the bottom flap of the box there should be a seal stating the characteristics of the box. Edge crush, max load, etc.

St. Lou Stu
02-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I ship gold bars in Flat Rate Boxes all the time.

No Problems yet.

XTRazzer
02-19-2010, 08:09 PM
When did the rules on Flat Rate boxes to Canada change? I tried that a few years back with mountain bike parts and was told only plain brown boxes from US to Canada. The Priority Mail boxes were for domestic only.