PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to Throw up :pu

neoflex
02-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Hit a couple B&Ms today as I had some running around to do. Stopped at one and the woman working there was real nice and friendly and was trying to be helpful but after a short conversation left me be in their walk-in. After looking around I spotted a box on a high shelf that read "Anejo selections" So being the curious SOB that I am I opened the box. Low and behold they had a good number of Sharks and torps in there.My first thought was, wow the two hardest sizes to find and they still have them in stock. Again, curiousity got me and I had to turn them over to see the price. WTF!!!!!! $25 for the torps and $30 for the Sharks!!!!! I grabbed a couple other sticks that weren't over priced and headed to the register, and again the woman working there was super friendly until I brought up the Anejos. I was prob a bit of a d*ck head which made her go from nice to I can't get you out of the store so others can't hear you fast enough. I nonchalantly said "Wow, I can't believe you guys still have Anejo Sharks and torps in stock this late in the season but at those prices I guess I'm not really all that surprised." She looked at me and said "What do you mean?" Now she was asking for it so I responded with "Well at those prices you guys are marking them up over 100% of their retail price." To which she responded with "Well, that's our prices and people pay it." I just looked at her and said "Oh." With that she gave me my change and said "Take Care." This stores prices for most(not all) of their sticks tend to be a little high but the part of town it's in supports it but I thought that was just outrageous. That cr@p pisses me off. When I went back to NY for Christmas one shop had Sharks for $19 and that's with NYS tobacco tax which is high to begin with but $30 a stick! It was just fun to see her demeanor change with the conversation but I guess since they had a good amount of customers there she just wanted me out which I can't blame her. I am friendlier with one of the other guys that work there and we get along well so I'll have to bust his chops when no one is around next time I am there which isn't too often. Just thought I would share plus it astounded me since the shop I was at earlier in the afternoon has great pricing and has prices comparable to some online retailers and a much better selection of smokes to boot.

RightAJ
02-16-2010, 07:39 PM
I have run into places like that before... Once I see outragous prices I just walk out. If they're screwing customers like that than they must not be B/SOTL and I don't need to deal with them!

I've also heard of places charging a membership fee to see the 'private' humi with the Opus', Padrons, VSGs, etc. :mad: :rolleyes:

aj

s15driftking
02-16-2010, 07:40 PM
this is America, that's proof that rape is legal.

bobarian
02-16-2010, 07:57 PM
this is America, that's proof that rape is legal.

Sorry Bobby, but that is just an ignorant statement. A store owner has the right to charge whatever they want for their product. As consumers it is our right to not shop at that establishment.

There are several factors that may be involved other than greed. High overhead or they may not be a Fuente dealer therefore paid more on the secondary market.

Challenging a shopkeeper regarding pricing is always unwise, just walk and move on to another shop. :2

s15driftking
02-16-2010, 08:01 PM
^^^ hence why i said "this is america".. they can do whatever they want... but, in my opinion, thats a "screwing".

neoflex
02-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Sad part is, they are a Fuente dealer and do get their product from Fuente. If they didn't I prob wouldn't have questioned the mark up as much. Surprisingly enough they are on par with their Liga Privada pricing and that has been the key factor in what has brought me back the last few times even though every single time I leave I always say I'll never shop their again. Sadly, they are the only local Liga dealer and they have had Flying Pigs in stock the last few times I have gone there. Most of everything else can be had at other shops cheaper, but the area it's in supports their pricing which on average is about $2 more than everyone else which isn't too obnoxious. Normally I do not question a shops pricing and just move on like you mentioned Bobarian but for some reason this just struck a nerve with me today. It may be the fact that the prices were just so blatantly over priced. Ahh well, it is what it is and until I nut up for a box purchase of Ligas online I'll probably be back.

jaydub13
02-16-2010, 08:40 PM
That is incredible... BUT, prices like those arent all that uncommon... The B&M I was at yesterday was asking $25 for a La Aurora 100 Anos. I just shook my head and grabbed something else.

Oh, and I have seen as high as $34.95 each for Anejo Sharks online...:c

Namerifrats
02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
A store owner has the right to charge whatever they want for their product. As consumers it is our right to not shop at that establishment.

Challenging a shopkeeper regarding pricing is always unwise, just walk and move on to another shop. :2

+1 Nothing wrong with charging more than they are worth. Nobody is forced to pay it, but somewhere there is somebody that will and the shop know that. It's called supply and demand. Not gouging since cigars are not a necessity, but a luxury. I see high prices, I just move on and don't say a thing to them. I want cheaper deals, I buy online. No need for people to get worked up because somebody is trying to make money. If it's priced too high, walk away.

CasaDooley
02-16-2010, 10:02 PM
I agree with the statements of Bob, Jason & David. We live in a free market society. If you don't like the prices at one establishment, move on to another.
I'm not trying to bust balls here, but what did you think you would accomplish by telling them "Well at those prices you guys are marking them up over 100% of their retail price." I just don't think that would really be anyones business but the store owners. Maybe it would have been better just to mention that you wanted to buy some, but they were a little out of your price line. I've had store owners lower their prices for me with just a kind word and good attitude. Just my :2

Pat1075
02-16-2010, 10:18 PM
de de de de de no. I'm just staying out of this one
Hi from you friendly neighborhood shop jocky :)

Ratters
02-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Hell, I think msrp is way to expensive for those things.

:ss

South Shield
02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Those prices seem about right for what they go for here in the Bay Area.

Skywalker
02-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Those prices seem about right for what they go for here in the Bay Area.

Yeah that's what they fetch up here too!

bi11fish
02-17-2010, 04:15 AM
"There is a sucker born every minute" ---Has anyone paid any attention to the prices that people are willing to pay on the Devil Site.

kelmac07
02-17-2010, 04:17 AM
And the sad part is that people WILL buy them.

Salvelinus
02-17-2010, 04:30 AM
Limited supply + high demand = higher prices. Seems logical for them to charge more than suggested retail if the demand is there and the supply is not. It sounds like the shop keep might have them a little high though, based solely on the fact that they are still in stock.

At least you knew enough not to buy them at that price.

Volt
02-17-2010, 04:36 AM
....This stores prices for most(not all) of their sticks tend to be a little high but the part of town it's in supports it but I thought that was just outrageous. That cr@p pisses me off. When I went back to NY for Christmas one shop had Sharks for $19 and that's with NYS tobacco tax which is high to begin with but $30 a stick! It was just fun to see her demeanor change with the conversation but I guess since they had a good amount of customers there she just wanted me out which I can't blame her. I am friendlier with one of the other guys that work there and we get along well so I'll have to bust his chops when no one is around next time I am there which isn't too often. Just thought I would share plus it astounded me since the shop I was at earlier in the afternoon has great pricing and has prices comparable to some online retailers and a much better selection of smokes to boot.

Hopefully your thread here doesn't say much about you really are and the BOTLs you are representing. Every business has the right to charge for even the air your breathing in their store. On the other hand, you have the option to take your business elswhere where you feel your getting the value for your money that you expect. If the store is charging those prices and getting them then why in the world would they charge less? They are there to make money. Unless they had some Red Cross painted on the front door indicating they are a charity and were giving them away I wouldn't expect any less from them.

I had the same conversation with a friend concerning the cost of NASCAR tickets. I told him the stands are full so the tickets muct not be too high. We teh customer control pricing, vote with your $$$, it works. Being an a$$ just makes it harder when the next BOTL walks in after you. My :2 and worth about that much.

skibumdc
02-17-2010, 05:35 AM
^^^ hence why i said "this is america".. they can do whatever they want... but, in my opinion, thats a "screwing".

You prefer an overly regulated gov't controlled system?
Fell free to move to another country ;),(kidding of course)
...or just wait around long enough for the US to unfortunately drift in that direction.

Edit: Sorry I won't inject too much politics into this thread.

I simpy think a shop-owner can do as they please, within the laws. It's our JOB as consumers to choose who we purchase from and to make sure we pay what we want for a product

Blueface
02-17-2010, 06:58 AM
Sorry Bobby, but that is just an ignorant statement. A store owner has the right to charge whatever they want for their product. As consumers it is our right to not shop at that establishment.

There are several factors that may be involved other than greed. High overhead or they may not be a Fuente dealer therefore paid more on the secondary market.

:tpd:
Nothing else I can add.

neoflex
02-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Hopefully your thread here doesn't say much about you really are and the BOTLs you are representing. Every business has the right to charge for even the air your breathing in their store. On the other hand, you have the option to take your business elswhere where you feel your getting the value for your money that you expect. If the store is charging those prices and getting them then why in the world would they charge less? They are there to make money. Unless they had some Red Cross painted on the front door indicating they are a charity and were giving them away I wouldn't expect any less from them.

I had the same conversation with a friend concerning the cost of NASCAR tickets. I told him the stands are full so the tickets muct not be too high. We teh customer control pricing, vote with your $$$, it works. Being an a$$ just makes it harder when the next BOTL walks in after you. My :2 and worth about that much.

Your right, I probably should not have said anything and normally I wouldn't have but I guess when I saw the extreme prices of these it just struck a nerve that has long been annoyed with this store for a while so I had to poke a little bit. Obviously most of there other customers feel the same way about their Anejo prices which is why they still have Sharks and torps left in February. I'm sure someone who doesn't know any better will jump for joy when they find them. It's not like I have never bitten my tongue there before. I've bitten my tongue in the past when I have gone there and heard the same spiel from two different employees about their separate humidor with Gurkhas that only they can get with price points of $50 a stick for the Habano wrapped stick and $100 a stick for the Maduro. Both times I let them try and sell me on these ultra rare super premium Gurkhas without saying a word other than, No thanks not a fan of the Gurkha brand and than even sat through their rant on how great Gurkhas are and that I should give them another chance. I agree I prob should not have said anything but I did and figured I would share the story with you guys and yes normally they wouldn't get my business but their Liga Privada account is what brings me back since they are the only ones locally who carry them. I am not a complete idiot, I know that I am douche sometimes:D:r My wife makes sure to remind me from time to time.:D

rlmedic
02-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Well john if you ever make to Raleigh stop in Empire Cigars they have Liga, used to have the sharks and its a great bunch of BTOL's Plus great prices

neoflex
02-17-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm hoping to get up there one of these days to herf with you Raleigh guys. Every once in awhile I will go to Empires website and get jealous when I see their announcements of whats new. Seems like if it's put there they have it.

weak_link
02-17-2010, 10:18 AM
My local cigar bar charges $70 for Davidoff Ani # 3's and $30-40 for big ass Gurkha something or others. People pay it or he'd lower his prices. Should he be drummed out of business because he offeres a nice lounge with leather couches and plasma tv's with a great wine selection and really expensive/overpriced cigars? His regular customers don't have an issue with that but I do so I don't shop there. I'm not going to picket in front of his store for lower prices, I just shop somewhere else. And I used to work there. :r

md4958
02-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Every business has the right to charge for even the air your breathing in their store. On the other hand, you have the option to take your business elswhere where you feel your getting the value for your money that you expect. .

I couldnt agree more with Bob and Mike. Smartest thing to do if you dont like the price on certain items is DONT BUY THEM.

Volt
02-17-2010, 11:11 AM
I couldnt agree more with Bob and Mike. Smartest thing to do if you dont like the price on certain items is DONT BUY THEM.

Ok, now I'm really geting concerned. The day I type something and it makes sense gets me worried. I truely want a #43 Troy Palamalu Steelers jersey. On the other hand the closest I can find is a knock off $80 look a like. As bad as I want one, I just can't see $80 for a fake jersey..... So I vote with my dollars. :( Still love my non play off making Steelers though.

St. Lou Stu
02-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Agree with most that say move on, and that is what I would do.
However, I imagine that a Fuente rep would be interested to hear that someone is butt raping people and using their cigars as the tool.
Doesn't paint pretty brand image. (especially in my terms :D)

bazookajoe
02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
...It's called supply and demand. Not gouging since cigars are not a necessity, but a luxury. ...No need for people to get worked up because somebody is trying to make money. If it's priced too high, walk away.

:tpd:

A friend of mine owns a coffee house - is he price gouging when he sells coffee, baked goods, sandwiches etc. at two to three times his cost or more? His customers don't think so and by the time he pays all his fixed and variable costs he earns less than you'd think. If someone thinks the prices are too high they can go to any number of other places, but he has many happy and loyal customers.

I just don't get why some people get so incensed at high cigar prices. What about movie and sporting event tickets and their concession prices, branded clothing (Nike, Billabong etc.), software, drinks at local bars, food at restaurants, kid's toys, guitars etc.. I have friends in all those product industries and in many cases those things are marked up 10 times or more. It isn't price gouging, "rape" etc. when you have a choice to not buy it... :2

havanajohn
02-17-2010, 04:48 PM
30.00 a stick for Sharks is very high IMHO. I was at the CI Superstore in December. I saw the Sharks and asked what the price was. The sales person looked and said 30.00 each. I said no thanks they were more them I am used to paying. He asked what that was and I told him 10.49/MSRP each in the same state (PA). He said that was not the MSRP... I said to check it out, and he will see. Well, he did. He walked up to our group that was smoking in the upper smoking area, apologized to me, and handed me a Ruination as a gift. Very classy sales person. I looked him up when I left, and picked up about 125.00 of other gars from him...-John

ScottieM
02-17-2010, 06:12 PM

I disagree with your comments. He's the Customer. He didn't like the price of the Cigars so he let them know. Thats part of doing business and I don't see anything wrong with that.

chenvt
02-17-2010, 06:22 PM
This is why I only smoke white owls

Smokin Gator
02-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I really don't see anything wrong with making a comment about the pricing. If a retailer can't take my busting his/her chops a little for pricing things way above retail then they shouldn't do it. If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen!

Wolfgang
02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
sharks $13 dollars a stick here. Thats ridiculous.

pitbulljimmy
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Agree with most that say move on, and that is what I would do.
However, I imagine that a Fuente rep would be interested to hear that someone is butt raping people and using their cigars as the tool.
Doesn't paint pretty brand image. (especially in my terms :D)

I think I heard somewhere that if you reported that kind of price gouging to Fuente that they would pull their "Authorized Dealer"-ness.... I don't know if it's true or not, but it doesn't hurt you any to make a phone call.

Volt
02-17-2010, 07:29 PM
I disagree with your comments. He's the Customer. He didn't like the price of the Cigars so he let them know. Thats part of doing business and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Feel free to disagree - I don't mind.

While Neoflex understood what I was geetting at, you didn't. I was concerned with his attitude about taking pleasure (maybe too strong a word) in seeing them change their demeanor based on his comments. That is above and beyond stating as a customer he was disatisfied with the pricing. Even as customers, we too also bear some responsibility as to the attitudes and the way we are treated in the stores. If evryone went in being the a$$, regardless as to being the customer, we will not be treated well. Case in point, see HavanaJohn's post a few posts ahead of this one. Also take a read on my "3 man herf" thread. By not being the a$$, we walked away with over $150.00 in comps and were invited back to the establishment for a commercial cigar herf with one of the company reps showing up. But, YMMV and it's my just .02

ScottieM
02-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Feel free to disagree - I don't mind.

While Neoflex understood what I was geetting at, you didn't. I was concerned with his attitude about taking pleasure (maybe too strong a word) in seeing them change their demeanor based on his comments. That is above and beyond stating as a customer he was disatisfied with the pricing. Even as customers, we too also bear some responsibility as to the attitudes and the way we are treated in the stores. If evryone went in being the a$$, regardless as to being the customer, we will not be treated well. Case in point, see HavanaJohn's post a few posts ahead of this one. Also take a read on my "3 man herf" thread. By not being the a$$, we walked away with over $150.00 in comps and were invited back to the establishment for a commercial cigar herf with one of the company reps showing up. But, YMMV and it's my just .02

From what I read in his post, He wasn't out of line. In this world the Customer is always right, Even when he's wrong.

bobarian
02-17-2010, 08:36 PM
From what I read in his post, He wasn't out of line. In this world the Customer is always right, Even when he's wrong.

This is completely misguided. The customer may think they are always right, but in reality they seldom have knowledge of the situation. Do you know what the rent is on the shop in question? Do you know the terms of his business loan? Do you know if there are city taxes on tobacco at his location?

To the contrary a shop owner is the one who is right and can set his prices as the market will bear. A few years ago Toyota and other dealers marked up Hybrids in California at least 30% over MSRP. And they still had waiting lists and people trying to outbid buyers. This is exactly how a free-market system should work.

A customer does not have the right to be rude or offensive. Nor does a shop owner have to take abuse from his customers. If you dont like the price, walk. Its that simple, you speak with your wallet. Being argumentative or confrontational will not get an owner to lower his prices any more than saying "I can get the same thing online for X"

ScottieM
02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
This is completely misguided. The customer may think they are always right, but in reality they seldom have knowledge of the situation. Do you know what the rent is on the shop in question? Do you know the terms of his business loan? Do you know if there are city taxes on tobacco at his location?

To the contrary a shop owner is the one who is right and can set his prices as the market will bear. A few years ago Toyota and other dealers marked up Hybrids in California at least 30% over MSRP. And they still had waiting lists and people trying to outbid buyers. This is exactly how a free-market system should work.

A customer does not have the right to be rude or offensive. Nor does a shop owner have to take abuse from his customers. If you dont like the price, walk. Its that simple, you speak with your wallet. Being argumentative or confrontational will not get an owner to lower his prices any more than saying "I can get the same thing online for X"

Without the Customer there is no Business. Being out of line while doing business is never right for either side. But I don't see where Neo was out of line from reading his post.

We can speak with our wallet and "Walk" as you say. I can't say there is anything wrong with just doing that. But I also believe that the Customer can let a Business know that he's not happy. If I were a Business owner I'd want to know.

NCRadioMan
02-17-2010, 09:57 PM
The shop Neo is talking about is a fairly new Fuente retailer but hasn't been in business long enough to land the higher end stuff like Opus and Anejo's. So they buy at regular retail, then mark them up accordingly. That's why they are so expensive. If I didn't know that, I probably would ask them why the high price.

I personally love this shop and the others they have opened mainly because it realy ticks the owner of Tinder Box's in the same area off. And that dude is a "grade A" pr*ck. :r

bobarian
02-17-2010, 10:18 PM
The shop Neo is talking about is a fairly new Fuente retailer but hasn't been in business long enough to land the higher end stuff like Opus and Anejo's. So they buy at regular retail, then mark them up accordingly. That's why they are so expensive. If I didn't know that, I probably would ask them why the high price.

I personally love this shop and the others they have opened mainly because it realy ticks the owner of Tinder Box's in the same area off. And that dude is a "grade A" pr*ck. :r

And there is the "X" factor. A markup of 50% over cost is neither unexpected nor out of line. :2

bleedingshrimp
02-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Well you realized in retrospect that you could've probably said it more tactfully and still got your intended message across. I've called vendors (not for cigars) and flat out told them that I could get a better price for a product online, but would prefer to do business with them locally if they could meet me somewhere between the two prices. A few times they've met me on price or part of the way and appreciated my approach, and other times they've told me to pound sand.

dox47
02-18-2010, 02:58 AM
I recently resisted the urge to say something similar to a retailer near my house who had Hemingway Short Stories marked at 14.99 each. He's the only cigar retailer on the island I live on and we have a fairly wealthy demographic, so I imagine he must sell a few at that price, but still... I drive the 10 miles to a nearby reservation who's smoke shop carries the Oliva line at reasonable prices, or make a point of hitting a few choice shops when I have to go into Seattle for some other reason.

GreekGodX
02-18-2010, 03:55 AM
These kind of markups suck but it is all about business.

ScottieM
02-18-2010, 02:40 PM
And there is the "X" factor. A markup of 50% over cost is neither unexpected nor out of line. :2

My favorite Store does this with his Top shelf Cigars like Opus, Padron Anny's etc. not to mention his Cigar selection overall is not the cheapest in the Area but he's fairly new to the Cigar Business and not an authorized retailer of much of anything. What he does provide to make up the difference is a great place to smoke a Cigar, Great Customer Service and more of a Club like Atmosphere that his competition does not provide.

Cigary
02-18-2010, 05:32 PM
The reality is what the Manufacturer wants the business to charge. If the Fuentes were to find out that the merchant is charging that much they will endanger their right to sell those cigars. I know too many B&M's around the country that tread "lightly" on these grounds. The merchant is lucky to be able to score those cigars and then to turn around and charge that kind of pricing to the customer base is not within the purview of the merchant,,,it is what the manufacturer allows the merchant to charge.

While I agree that we as the consumer have the right to spend our $$$ where we want it is a slap in the face to the knowledgeable consumer when they know they are being ripped. The Merchant would have to prove to the Fuentes that they had to charge that high a price on these cigars in order sell them as has been pointed out the Fuente Family frowns on the consumer being taken advantage of. It is their product and it is their right to hold the merchant accountable for the sale of the cigars.

bobarian
02-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Apparenly you missed the post that said they bought these at full retail and then marked up from that price. They are an authorized Fuente dealer but not an Anejo or OpusX dealer. Fuente has several tiers of dealers. :rolleyes:

neoflex
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Apparenly you missed the post that said they bought these at full retail and then marked up from that price. They are an authorized Fuente dealer but not an Anejo or OpusX dealer. Fuente has several tiers of dealers. :rolleyes:

Doesn't it depend on how many, It's a Boy/Girl boxes you buy? I kid I kid:r