PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-29-2008, 05:32 PM
My brother and i are going goose hunting this saturday. Hes not a cigar smoker but has had a couple in the past. I want to bring along some cigars for the goose pit and need some advice on what to bring for him. I want to give him something that will really catch his interest in cigars. Any ideas, im heading to the b&m thursday.

cbsmokin
10-29-2008, 05:37 PM
You have to stick to the mild stuff. You might also want to consider smaller RG and shorter length. Just coach him not to smoke it too fast.

Macanudo is a great smoke for a total newb. They won't appreciate the flavors of cigars yet so something complex would be a waste. I give the crystal tubos to new smokers and they think they are really fancy.

md4958
10-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I usually lay something flavored on a newbie. I like the Tabak Especial in particular. either that, or something like a Macanudo that wont make him puke.

SmokinApe
10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Macanudo.... People who don't smoke cigars love to smoke these, get the tubos...

Rockestone
10-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Definately Macanudo...Maybe the Hampton Court.

elderboy02
10-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Fonseca, 5 Vegas Gold, Rocky Patel Connecticut

D_A
10-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Padron, Oliva, or Fuente are usually safe bets.

Legend
10-29-2008, 07:07 PM
I've reeled in half a dozen guys with the Gurkha grand reserve. The cognac ones. Expensive but very nice.

Gophernut
10-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Macanudo.... People who don't smoke cigars love to smoke these, get the tubos...

And there is a bit more name recognition there too.

Homebrewer
10-29-2008, 08:02 PM
I'd try a Tatuaje P series.

Cenookie
10-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Try the Macanado Maduro, Foncesa, or Baccarat, these will keep him interested but won't make him green:ss.

groogs
10-29-2008, 09:39 PM
I've reeled in half a dozen guys with the Gurkha grand reserve. The cognac ones. Expensive but very nice.

:tpd: I had one of those when I was starting out and I remember thinking it was a tasty smoke.

dcamacho
10-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I'd try a Tatuaje P series.

i agree. i always give 1st time smokers the Tatuaje white labels. they usually love it too

Scottw
10-29-2008, 09:43 PM
I had my brother up at my house a few months back and he is a sometime cigar smoker. I gave him an RP Connecticut and he was loving it. It's an affordable smoke and mild with a tasty lingering aftertaste that is not too complex. I'd try it. The Cusano 18 Double Connecticut I find offers the same mildness with a creaminess and depth of flavor not found in many of the milder smokes.

Scottw
10-29-2008, 09:44 PM
I usually lay something flavored on a newbie. I like the Tabak Especial in particular. either that, or something like a Macanudo that wont make him puke.

If you give him the Tabak , just make sure he likes coffee. This is the coffee infused one from Drew Estates right?

smokin5
10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Definitely something on the milder side. I'm thinking:
5 Vegas Gold
El Rey del Mundo
Rocky Patel Conneticut
AVO

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-31-2008, 06:23 PM
well i picked my brother up a few macanudo gold labels, and as for me, i think ill take along a partagas black and a serie v belicoso. thanks for the advice on the macanudo, and by the way i was kinda embaressed buying a macanudo at my b&m:r

md4958
11-01-2008, 08:04 AM
If you give him the Tabak , just make sure he likes coffee. This is the coffee infused one from Drew Estates right?

yup, but it doesnt taste like coffee... its more aromatic than anything else.

well i picked my brother up a few macanudo gold labels, and as for me, i think ill take along a partagas black and a serie v belicoso. thanks for the advice on the macanudo, and by the way i was kinda embaressed buying a macanudo at my b&m:r

thats why Im always like "you think a newbie would like Macs right???" when the cashier is ringing me up. The closest b&m near me has a staff that is pretty much clueless anyway.
I asked if they had any Oliva... i got a deer in the headlights look

Sauer Grapes
11-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Cusano 18 is what I always recommend. It's actually a decent smoke, and guys that don't smoke a lot seem to love them.

Fuente 8-5-8 is a little stronger, but not too strong either. Those are usually a hit as well.