PDA

View Full Version : Almost ditched a good smoke.

kgraybill
02-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Today I pulled out a Montecristo Churchill and headed outside. It started out really tight and flavorless. I thought it might improve but the difference in temp and humidity split it so I just set it down and walked away disappointed.

About 2 hours later I stepped out to cook my steaks. I saw the cigar sitting in the ashtray and decided to give it another try. I fired it up and after a few draws it was the same as earlier. Not wanting to give up on it I pulled out the cutter and lopped off about two inches and fired it up again. After several draws on this half of a churchill it was like an whole new cigar and very enjoyable.

I don't know if the first half was too tight or just affected by the temp/humidity difference. Maybe sitting outside for a short time without the heat of smoking let it draw better and not split again.

When planning to smoke in dramatic temp/humidity differences should the cigar be place in the intended smoking environment prior to smoking (assuming the humidity is not too high)?

AD720
02-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Sometimes just cutting it again does the trick.

Razorhog
02-14-2010, 08:28 PM
T

When planning to smoke in dramatic temp/humidity differences should the cigar be place in the intended smoking environment prior to smoking (assuming the humidity is not too high)?

Excellent question - to which I have no answer, only curiosity. :confused:

akumushi
02-14-2010, 09:58 PM
It sounds like there was a serious plug, and that less humidity wouldn't have helped. In most of the cigars I've had that were hopelessly plugged, the plug is in the first inch or so on the cap side. You can pinch up and down the whole cigar and feel that it is normal from the foot all the way down to the last inch or so, where it is hard as a rock. If you've already lit the cigar and tried a draw poker and the draw is still hopeless, I've found that amputating the last inch or two will bypass the plug and salvage the smoke. That way, you might still get a decent robusto length smoke out of a churchill, rather than pitching the whole smoke. Of course, this only works with longer smokes. Sounds like you've rediscovered this technique for yourself.

whodeeni
02-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Great Insight!

It sounds like there was a serious plug, and that less humidity wouldn't have helped. In most of the cigars I've had that were hopelessly plugged, the plug is in the first inch or so on the cap side. You can pinch up and down the whole cigar and feel that it is normal from the foot all the way down to the last inch or so, where it is hard as a rock. If you've already lit the cigar and tried a draw poker and the draw is still hopeless, I've found that amputating the last inch or two will bypass the plug and salvage the smoke. That way, you might still get a decent robusto length smoke out of a churchill, rather than pitching the whole smoke. Of course, this only works with longer smokes. Sounds like you've rediscovered this technique for yourself.

The Postman
02-15-2010, 05:25 PM
I have never bothered to "condition" a cigar before I smoke it outside, and I smoke all winter here out in my garden shed. A few blankets, a heater, and you are good to go.

Chemyst
02-15-2010, 05:43 PM
I pitched 1/2 of a LA Cien Anos robusto during Xmas. :(
Waiting in line for a movie, and only got 1/2 done b4 the
start time. I sat for an hour in the sun, with no wind,
although it was cold outside. They opened the doors early.

It was a shame. That Cien Anos was one fantastic smoke.
It's OK though, since I have 1/2 box of them resting.

The lesson is not to start a great smoke, unless you're sure
there's time to finish it. The wrapper split by the time I
exited the movie, since the air outside was cold and dry.

Chemyst :cool2: