PDA

View Full Version : A little stroke for UPS.

shilala
02-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Today I got an email about cigars that hadn't arrived. UPS sent me this message...

At the request of CIGARPLACE, this notice alerts you delivery of the following shipment has been rescheduled.
Important Delivery Information
Tracking Number: 1ZRX25180352897451
Exception Reason: ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS

I've never seen this before, and I very much appreciated it.
In the day of discourteousness and among people who have degraded to a point where "Have a good one" and "thanks in advance" are accepted as decent manners among civilized people, I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised.
Even UPS gets it. I really have to tip my hat to them. :tu

Since that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for comment, how's about we b!tch about how it used to be when people were pleasant, courteous, polite and respectful for fear their mom would knock your head off your shoulders?
I sure miss that. Yet another reason why it's so nice to be around the brothers here, whether it be online or in real life.

DrDubzz
02-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks for posting

have a good one

Razorhog
02-12-2010, 08:32 AM
I think that speaks to UPS's technology more than their manners ;)
I definitely agree with you though, kids these days don't even say yes sir yes ma'am!

XTRazzer
02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Interesting message. Although I'm not sure if UPS gets it or if the driver just doesn't want to head into that part of podunk. How far was that I-80 50 car wreck I heard about from your place?

BTW, saying "sir" and "ma'am" might get your head knocked off your shoulders today.

As far as "kids" you should meet my buddy's girls, you'll be "Mr. Scott" and that's the way it is.

Sauer Grapes
02-12-2010, 09:16 AM
FedEx has similar notifications. They are at the request of the shipper, and are set up when they create the shipping label in their account. They can choose to notify themselves and/or you for any or all of these three: Pickup, delivery, exception (yours was this one).

I think it speaks more to CigarPlace caring than it does to UPS.

hotreds
02-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Ditto! I remember saying "Thank-you ma'am" to someone once, and she yelled at me not to call her that. So I said "Thank-you, *****" the next time. She didn't like that, either.

I held the door open for a woman, and she snarled that she could open her own doors.

So, Scott, you can't win, but it sure is nice when you come close!

Blindjimme
02-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Thank you for posting that, Scott. I appreciate your sharing brother. :tu

Kreth
02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I held the door open for a woman, and she snarled that she could open her own doors.
Pet peeve of mine: when you hold a door for someone, and they walk through without a thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
02-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Interesting message. Although I'm not sure if UPS gets it or if the driver just doesn't want to head into that part of podunk. How far was that I-80 50 car wreck I heard about from your place?

BTW, saying "sir" and "ma'am" might get your head knocked off your shoulders today.

As far as "kids" you should meet my buddy's girls, you'll be "Mr. Scott" and that's the way it is.

That wreck was just over the hill from me here. Maybe ten minutes. I just heard about it last night. It always gets piled up with slow trucks trying to get up it. On top of the hill there's a sign that says it's the highest point on I-80 east of the Mississippi.
I love the whole yes sir, yes ma'am thing.
I've never had a problem with anyone because I was respectful. Like Hugh mentioned, I've heard the story of women and the "I can get my own door" thing. It happened to my dad once at the mall.
It doesn't stop me from helping my girlfriend to the car and opening the door for her. It doesn't stop me from holding doors for people, either.
If I ever get a grumpy one, I'll meet it with a "Sorry, ma'am" and keep doing what's right. :)

LooseCard
02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Interesting concept.

I have Never received 'my supplies' or accessories at my house. I have always had to go get them from the facility as they never seem to come during hours that someone may be home.

dubs chops
02-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I still try to say sir and Maam as often as possible without it being weird or out of place.

Tenor CS
02-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Some manners stories: I go to school on Mondays and Wednesdays. I have one of those rolling milk crates that holds all of my books. Thankfully, I have been lucky in always having people hold the door open for me for that little extra second to get that big, heavy cart through the door. I ALWAYS thank them. I'm glad to say, people at my college seem pretty nice.

It's funny, going to a community college, I run into a LOT of fresh-out-of-high-school kids. They don't really understand yet the protocol that should be used when talking to instructors. I would never DREAM of calling one of my instructors "Mr. [Lastname.]" I always go first with "Dr. [Lastname]." I've had some correct me and say that they don't have their PhD's [yet.] And from then on, it's "Professor [Lastname]."

And, from my server/bartender days, one of the lessons my first ever restaurant manager taught me: "The proper response to thank you is You're Welcome. It is never No Problem."

hotreds
02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Indeed, bottom line- and this needs to be said: It doesn't cost a nickel to be friendly and/or helpful; if some sour pusses don't appreciate it that should not change your outlook. More people still appreciate good manners than don't, happily!

68TriShield
02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
people were pleasant, courteous, polite and respectful for fear their mom would knock your head off your shoulders?

Or Dad with the wire coat hanger :rolleyes:

replicant_argent
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
The same kids with the lack of manners are the same subset as the ones that think it is OK to pirate terabytes of music and movies, for the most part. There might be an exception or two out there.

shilala
02-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Or Dad with the wire coat hanger :rolleyes:
Who the heck was "Mommy Dearest", anyways? I tried to remember who the coat hanger beater was, can't remember.
The old man worked a flat spot in the back of my head growing up. I'm a slow learner. :D

Lucky_Hippo
02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Just to save a little face for the younger crowd....Coutesy seams to be a lost art for MANY of the baby boomer generation as well. I'm no longer a spring chicken, however it was only a few short years ago that I worked in the back room at a department store (Kohl's) who only had one automatic door and no back loading area. I can count on my fingers the number of times someone held the door open for me while I wheeled out some big box filled with cheap furniture.

It's a differnt day for everyone I guess.

14holestogie
02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Who the heck was "Mommy Dearest", anyways? I tried to remember who the coat hanger beater was, can't remember.

Joan Crawford. :)

akumushi
02-12-2010, 11:34 AM
The old man worked a flat spot in the back of my head growing up. I'm a slow learner. :D

Joan Crawford.

NCRadioMan
02-12-2010, 01:08 PM

http://babyjanehudson.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/wire-hangers.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZdXUI3VKo

JE3146
02-12-2010, 01:38 PM
I think that speaks to UPS's technology more than their manners ;)
I definitely agree with you though, kids these days don't even say yes sir yes ma'am!

That's a pretty bad stereotype. I was not raised that way at all.

ucla695
02-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Wow, that's great to see that the oligopolistic shipping companies have some sort of semblance of customer service!

shilala
02-12-2010, 03:08 PM
That's a pretty bad stereotype. I was not raised that way at all.

It's very obvious, Jordan. You've always been a pleasure, and it's VERY nice to see. My baby girl is very steeped in her manners and she brushes me up regularly (because I'm just as guilty as most, I suppose). My girlfriend's kids do very well, too.
It's not a lost art, Thank God. I didn't mean to give that impression, either.
I live in an area where the economy is very depressed (always was) and very few of the kids have two parents, or even one that's around much.
It definately shows. Especially in retail and in the restaurants.
I've been working with kids for years through coaching and groups and so forth. Kids really do love to learn manners. They think it's cool.
I've talked with my daughter Rebekah about it and for whatever reason she says they don't even bother with teaching or insisting on manners in school, for the most part. I imagine the battle just got too tough. I can't imagine a teacher has time to correct manners all day anymore and still get her lesson plan finished.
My last girlfriend, Kerri is a teacher. She and I have talked about it and she has had lots of success with the kids, and says they love to learn their manners and etiquette.
My stepmom was a teacher for about 30 years, and her take is the opposite of Kerri's and mine.

I work as a pipefitter foreman, have for lots and lots of years. I always tell my guys "There's always room for please and thank you, we're pipefitters, not savages." It is incredible how common courtesy affects the tone of a job. The guys are all happy, and it fosters a brotherly spirit. Keeps the griping and misery to a minimum, and the guys really enjoy each other.
When I hear one of my guys holler "give me that wrench", I say "please".
Usually they'll say to the guy, "Give me that wrench, motherf'er, please."
I wish you could hear how they say it. Always makes me laugh, I never get tired of it. :D