PDA

View Full Version : Moving cigar collection overseas

njstone
02-09-2010, 06:35 PM
A few of you already know this, but it looks like the Air Force will be sending us to Japan this summer for a 3-year tour. I'll leave all my mixed emotions out of it for a minute in order to ask an important question:

How should I transport my large cigar collection to Japan?

Option 1) The military will move our stuff, and I could buy large coolers to replace my Tupperware bins and pack them very well with plenty of Heartfelt beads. They would be unopened in a variety of climates, including a very long airplane ride. They would be unopened until I get them 3-4 weeks later. (this option would cost only what the coolers would cost)

Option 2) I could send myself a ton of large packages via USPS Priority Mail. This would require several packages, and I run risk of USPS mishandling as well as possibly opening and even refusing a package--you technically can't ship that many cigars to Japan according to the USPS website. The transit time would only be a week or so. (this option would cost shipping ... most likely more than the cost of coolers)

Option 3) Something I haven't thought of yet ...

So what do you guys think? Has anyone moved large cigar collections overseas before?

T.G
02-09-2010, 06:43 PM
I think you'd be fine with option #1. Just pack bubble wrap in the coolers and in the air spaces in the boxes inside the coolers so that the cigars can't move around, then secure the cooler lids with a few full wraps of fiberglass reinforced shipping tape.

Where in Japan are they sending you?

njstone
02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I think you'd be fine with option #1. Just pack bubble wrap in the coolers and in the air spaces in the boxes inside the coolers so that the cigars can't move around, then secure the cooler lids with a few full wraps of fiberglass reinforced shipping tape.

Where in Japan are they sending you?

Misawa, northeast Honshu

T.G
02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Misawa, northeast Honshu

I think you are just going to barely miss Jim (diverbelow72) I think he leaves in June or July. If you do cross paths with him, he's a good brother to herf with.

marge796
02-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I did what you mentioned in option #1 when I left Iraq last year, they were fine upon arriving home. I just made sure to really secure them as much as possible in coolers & ensure my beads were in good shape prior to shipping.

Good luck and enjoy Japan!

:usa

Chris.....

njstone
02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely leaning towards option 1 right now.

Do you think everything will be fine for 3-4 weeks without fresh air in the heat? I always try to open my bins once a week at home.

AD720
02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
How much does it cost to ship an average sized package to Japan?

Maybe you can just send over enough to get you going and then have someone who is back home send you "care packages" every month or so as needed...that would avoid having to risk your entire stash at once with the 3 week trip or risk seizure or refusal via USPS. :2

Navydoc
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Maybe the Air Force is different than the Navy but the Navy will not ship Tobacco or wine...not to mention if someone knows what's in them one or more would likely disappear. You might want to consider having someone state side hold your collection until your return. They could always send mini-shipments as you need them and your collection would get 3 more years of aging...just a suggestion. Might want to check on the shipping tobacco though..

Don Fernando
02-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Option 1 will work. I went to the US for a roadtrip last may and had a cooler filled with cigars boxed up and shipped back home to The Netherlands (thanks again for helping out Dunng!). Worked like a charm.

I did put all the cigars in 5 finger bags and then topped the cooler off with some laundry so the cigars couldn't move.

T.G
02-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely leaning towards option 1 right now.

Do you think everything will be fine for 3-4 weeks without fresh air in the heat? I always try to open my bins once a week at home.

Lack of air exchange for 3-4 weeks won't be a problem. Keep most of the beads on the dry side, so that they can suck up any excess moisture and prevent a mold colony from forming.

How much does it cost to ship an average sized package to Japan?

It would be going to an APO/FPO so same cost as domestic. Actually $2 less with the large flat rate priority boxes.

The priority shipments I've sent to Diver in Misawa would always take about 8-10 days from California.

kydsid
02-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Ya not to mention the military restriction on tobacco and alcohol in personal goods shipments but: How large is large? Because their are Customs issues both entering them into Japan and when you return to the States.

If you are talking multiple coolers I can give you some advice pertaining to what you will be returning with and at least point you in the right direction to talk to Japanese Customs. PM me if you want more info.

njstone
02-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Ya not to mention the military restriction on tobacco and alcohol in personal goods shipments but: How large is large? Because their are Customs issues both entering them into Japan and when you return to the States.

If you are talking multiple coolers I can give you some advice pertaining to what you will be returning with and at least point you in the right direction to talk to Japanese Customs. PM me if you want more info.

It was my understanding that the US Military goods don't go through Japanese customs, and I'm also of the understanding that the US doesn't charge customs for your own property that the military ships back to the States for you. If I'm WRONG here, this could be a big problem ...

Whynot
02-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I am not sure about tobacco, but it recently change so you could ship alcohol with household. My plan is to tape up a cooler for my initial 500 lbs quick shipment and do the same for the rest in household goods. The moving company that TMO hires won't give a rat behind what you put in your coolers.

T.G
02-10-2010, 01:42 PM
It was my understanding that the US Military goods don't go through Japanese customs, and I'm also of the understanding that the US doesn't charge customs for your own property that the military ships back to the States for you. If I'm WRONG here, this could be a big problem ...

You have a PM.

kydsid
02-10-2010, 02:48 PM
It was my understanding that the US Military goods don't go through Japanese customs,...
Everything goes through Customs. ;) The level of interest and inspection is the variable part.

and I'm also of the understanding that the US doesn't charge customs for your own property that the military ships back to the States for you. If I'm WRONG here, this could be a big problem ...

Same as above. Yes it is true that US Returned goods are free. Tobacco is one of those things that can throw a red flag though. And while you can bring everything back free you can be required to PROVE it is from the US.

If you have further concerns or questions feel free to PM or ask here.