PDA

View Full Version : NEWB question - re: petite robustos

RevSmoke
02-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I know this doesn't matter, but I got to reading some stuff and it got me to cogitating (Yeah, not good for me to do on my day off).

In the past, I have thought of petite robustos to be something under 4.5 inches (3.5-4" was my though) and less than a 50 ring guage (44-48 was my thought).

So, is there a pat answer in the matter, or does it vary.

I looked this up, and while there are some marcas that list having petite robustos, I couldn't find is listed as a particular vitola anywhere.

Now, here's another thought - I now the words are often used interchangably, is there a difference between a rothschild -vs- robusto? Or, as I have figured for all these years, some just call their robustos a rothschild?

or:
Petite Robusto 3.5-4X44-48
Rothschild 4.5-5X48-50
Robusto 4.5-5.5X50-56

(yes, I know there's overlap)

As I said, it doesn't really matter, but, just for conversation purposes.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

akumushi
02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
There seems to be very little uniformity as to what dimensions define a certain vitola in the NC world, and it gets worse the larger NC ring gauges swell to meet the demands of today's smokers, so you will find that what one company calls a robusto, or any vitola for that matter, will vary greatly with the next brand. CC's have more uniformity since they are all made by one company, so I tend to use their vitolas de galera as a benchmark for naming cigars by size, especially since they are still largely using the traditional sizes. Their Petit Robusto is 4 inches by 50 RG and their Petit Edmundo is a little larger at 4 3/8 by 52 RG. Their robustos are 4 7/8 inches long, so I would say anything less than 4 1/2 inches long with RG of 48-52 can safely be called a "Petit Robusto." Don't even get me started on how stupid the use of the word Corona Gorda has gotten in the NC world. It now encompasses everything from 5 3/8 x 46 to 6 x 60!

RevSmoke
02-08-2010, 10:49 AM
There seems to be very little uniformity as to what dimensions define a certain vitola in the NC world, and it gets worse the larger NC ring gauges swell to meet the demands of today's smokers, so you will find that what one company calls a robusto, or any vitola for that matter, will vary greatly with the next brand. CC's have more uniformity since they are all made by one company, so I tend to use their vitolas de galera as a benchmark for naming cigars by size, especially since they are still largely using the traditional sizes. Their Petit Robusto is 4 inches by 50 RG and their Petit Edmundo is a little larger at 4 3/8 by 52 RG. Their robustos are 4 7/8 inches long, so I would say anything less than 4 1/5 inches long with RG of 48-52 can safely be called a "Petit Robusto." Don't even get me started on how stupid the use of the word Corona Gorda has gotten in the NC world. It now encompasses everything from 5 3/8 x 46 to 6 x 60!

So then, I'm not the only one confused by this... That's good to know.

shilala
02-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I never even heard of such a thing. Good answer, Clayton. Thanks for sharing!!! :tu