PDA

View Full Version : Hoyo De Monterrey - Excalibur #2 (6.75x48) Review

Ferrari5180
02-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Hoyo De Monterrey - Excalibur #2 (6.75x48) Review

This is my first review here on Cigar Asylum, but I figured I would give it a try. I picked up a 5 pack of these off Atlantic, and let them sit in my humidor for about 3 months before I smoked them. I cannot remember the exact price, but it was around $4.50 each with shipping, which is a fairly good price considering. Anyhow, I do not want to make this review too long, but still I want to keep the essentials in. They have a Conneticut wrapper and use premium quality Honduran tobacco.

Construction: The cigar wrapper has quite a few visible veins and bumps, but nothing too drastic. The construction was very good in my book. There were no soft spots at all and the cigar was well packed. The color was consistent throughout the whole cigar, a nice yellow/brown mix. The draw was perfect, and the cigar never shut on me even after I took a 5 minute break to do something. Also, the ashes were consistent and held on for about half an inch, as you will see in my photos.

Flavor: The flavors are not super complex, but they are quite good and satisfying. You will be getting hints of cream, cocoa, vanilla and nuts. They were quite consistent with every puff, and the flavors stuck until the end. Not once did the cigar get harsh, bitter or metallic in taste. In general, I enjoyed the flavor a lot, as it kept my palate clean and with a good after taste.

Price/Value: For the price, I would say that this cigar is definitely worth it. There are plenty of cigars that cost more than this cigar and do not even come close to its value. The construction is perfect and the draw/taste is just fabulous. This is a must for everyone's humidor and I suggest you pick them up at your local B&M or online.

Photos

* Click on the Links to view the photos of each third of the Cigar *

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee79/cdn_1989/IMG0028A.jpg (1st Third)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee79/cdn_1989/IMG0029A.jpg (2nd Third)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee79/cdn_1989/IMG0030A.jpg (Last Third)

Overall Rating

8.5/10

The cigar that was inspired by the legendary sword of King Arthur, Excalibur strikes a perfect balance between the straightforward taste of its rich filler tobaccos and the smooth-smoking flavor of its Connecticut Shade wrapper. After the cigars are rolled by master cigar makers in a tradition that goes back to 1845, they are carefully packed in handsome boîte-nature boxes of Spanish cedar to enhance their bouquet and character. (Hoyo De Monterrey)

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the review. I enjoy the Dark Knights.

Emjaysmash
02-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I just smoked a Dark Knight II last night; the first time in a while. Really brought me back. Thanks for the review! The HdM line is a solid line!

issues
02-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Great review Carlo! :tu

I have yet to try an HdM but I have looked at them many times at my local B&M.

May have to give this one a shot...

:ss