PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Taboo Cigars?

Ferrari5180
02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I am interested in the Taboo - Twist Robusto 5.5x54. Does anyone know if these are good or not?

Also, I am open to suggestion to other Taboo brands if any. Thanks

Bax
02-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I am interested in the Taboo - Twist Robusto 5.5x54. Does anyone know if these are good or not?

Also, I am open to suggestion to other Taboo brands if any. Thanks

One of the best private lable cigars out there and one of the best retailers that you will ever meet. HIGHLY recomend them!:2

Coach Deg
02-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Twist is a great stick! And when I made my phone order had the sticks in two days.

Whee
02-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Great, well made sticks. Phenomenal customer service. And a member here.

:tu:tu

hotreds
02-05-2010, 01:56 PM
One of the best private lable cigars out there and one of the best retailers that you will ever meet. HIGHLY recomend them!:2

Ditto!

Ferrari5180
02-05-2010, 01:56 PM
So far this is sounding good. Anyone else have some input on this. I email Taboo in hopes of a good shipping rate to Montreal. Lately, I have only ordered from Atlantic and am happy, but I would like to try new things.

marge796
02-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Great, well made sticks. Phenomenal customer service. And a member here.

:tu:tu

:tpd:

Kreth
02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Twist is a very smooth, mild smoke. I like the Special Forces blend too. A little stronger, but I believe they're going to be discontinued. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Tombstone
02-05-2010, 02:08 PM
All of their cigars are good

captain53
02-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Excellent Service and Very Reputable Operation but not my favorite smoke. They offer good prices on several premium grade non taboo cigar brands and are members on the site.

tuxpuff
02-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Top notch smokes...you won't be disappointed.

replicant_argent
02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Good stuff, and I can personally attest to the fact that Rob is a hell of a troop supporter, Big Time. I believe it was the SF lancero, that I really liked a lot, but haven't had one in quite a while.

NCRadioMan
02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Good construction. That's about all the good I can say about them. Again, I am in the minority........not a fan.

ade06
02-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I enjoyed the two Taboo cigars I've had (twist and Special forces).

ripper
02-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Wonderful smokes and great folks.
Love the Costa Rican maduro, Dominican maduro and the sensory overload called HSG. These cigars have stellar construction - try them with a cigar punch to appreciate the workmanship.
A no brainer - just get them!

Ferrari5180
02-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I think I will go with the twist then. I wanted to try the Special Forces but I think they are discontinued as I do not see them on the website.

RevSmoke
02-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Twists are good and I personally have as my favorite of theirs, the HSG.

DMK
02-05-2010, 02:51 PM
I've had him ship up here and all went well....;)

bigswol2
02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Top notch! Great smokes and customer service.

kelmac07
02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Rob is first class...along with his sticks. :tu

lightning9191
02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
They make pretty good cigars. Try a sampler!

Blindjimme
02-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Special Forces :tu

Ferrari5180
02-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Special Forces :tu

I do not see these anywhere on their website, which is a possibility that they are discontinued. However, I would like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions.

Happy Smoking!

Homebrewer
02-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Try the HSG

Ferrari5180
02-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I am planning my order out, but it has been one day and still no answer by email for the shipping estimation. I don't want to be surprised with a big shipping price, like some companies tend to do.

Addiction
02-05-2010, 05:20 PM
The guy who runs Taboo is a solid guy, but the sticks are tasteless at best and horrifyingly bad when not tasteless.

SmokinApe
02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Nice guy who supports the troops but for the cigars...

http://www.nepublicworksexpo.org/Images/PassLogo.jpg

papajohn67
02-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Nice guy who supports the troops but for the cigars...

http://www.nepublicworksexpo.org/Images/PassLogo.jpg

Another pass here. I sampled them, darn good service but not my cup of tea.

GWN
02-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I've ordered plenty from rob. Shipping is about $25CAN so you may as well stock up. I'd suggest adding some Oliva Vs to your order.

CigarNut
02-05-2010, 07:35 PM
I ordered their 10 cigar sampler pack and enjoyed every one of them! They also have good deals on other brands --they are a good source for Padron's :)

BlackDog
02-05-2010, 07:41 PM
HSG is excellent, as is the Twist. I also like the Dominican Maduro and the Limited Reserve Havana.

sikk50
02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I enjoy twists very much, but I personaly feel the blend has changed in the last two years.

They have some of the best customer service ever!

Ferrari5180
02-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I enjoy twists very much, but I personaly feel the blend has changed in the last two years.

They have some of the best customer service ever!

So far, it looks pretty bad. I sent two emails and never got a response. Hopefully this will change.

mithrilG60
02-05-2010, 10:44 PM
So far this is sounding good. Anyone else have some input on this. I email Taboo in hopes of a good shipping rate to Montreal. Lately, I have only ordered from Atlantic and am happy, but I would like to try new things.

The shipping rate will be calculated when you check out, it's always been $18 - $20 for shipping to Vancouver. Rob and Patrick are good people; great vendor to deal with, the Taboo blends are awesome and they also carry some other great offerings like Oliva and Padron. You can't go wrong ordering from them.

Edit: Not to mention that there's a shipping quote calculator in their site's shopping cart. It's pretty much bang on accurate, only thing it doesn't estimate is taxes if your package gets inspected by Canadian customs. Never been a problem for me.

BC-Axeman
02-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I always have some Twists in my humi. I will be careful smoking up my last S.F. originals. I liked some others as well but don't remember what they were. I am not a fan of the HSG. Great customer service. SFOs are about as tasteless as a PAM but with more nicotine.

timatraw
02-06-2010, 04:51 AM
just ordered from taboo for the first time last wed. Patrick couldn't have been any nicer. Came home from work on friday and my box of padron family reserve no.45's were waiting for me, shipping under $7. would definitely order from them again.

WyoBob
02-06-2010, 07:42 AM
I ordered several varieties of Taboo's in April of 2008 and had a generally good experience. I liked the Taboo Exotic Maduro Toro and The SFO's the best out of the first group and was anxious to order more.

I ordered a larger selection in Nov. of 08. and was very disappointed. In fact, some of the blends got my lowest rating ever. Bad burns, plugged cigars, acrid smoke and constant wrapper touch-ups. The SFO's that I had enjoyed in the first batch were very disappointing in the second batch. I actually tossed several cigars which I very, very seldom do. I generally stick with a cigar to the bitter end to see if it ever improves.

I know the customer service from Taboo is first class. I didn't say anything to Taboo because I found out what I needed to know. I know they would have replaced the cigars but, the main thing I look for when searching out new cigars is consistency from batch to batch and I didn't find that in this case so am not really interested in pursuing their cigars further.

But, the Taboo line may be something for the OP to check out. Perhaps I just got a bad batch. Some of the cigars smoked "wet" and possibly would have been better if stored at 65% for a longer time or dry boxed. But, as there are many brands that I can order and be happy with, I never ordered more Taboos. YMMV.

WyoBob

Ferrari5180
02-06-2010, 08:23 AM
I ordered several varieties of Taboo's in April of 2008 and had a generally good experience. I liked the Taboo Exotic Maduro Toro and The SFO's the best out of the first group and was anxious to order more.

I ordered a larger selection in Nov. of 08. and was very disappointed. In fact, some of the blends got my lowest rating ever. Bad burns, plugged cigars, acrid smoke and constant wrapper touch-ups. The SFO's that I had enjoyed in the first batch were very disappointing in the second batch. I actually tossed several cigars which I very, very seldom do. I generally stick with a cigar to the bitter end to see if it ever improves.

I know the customer service from Taboo is first class. I didn't say anything to Taboo because I found out what I needed to know. I know they would have replaced the cigars but, the main thing I look for when searching out new cigars is consistency from batch to batch and I didn't find that in this case so am not really interested in pursuing their cigars further.

But, the Taboo line may be something for the OP to check out. Perhaps I just got a bad batch. Some of the cigars smoked "wet" and possibly would have been better if stored at 65% for a longer time or dry boxed. But, as there are many brands that I can order and be happy with, I never ordered more Taboos. YMMV.

WyoBob

Yeah, it is important for a company to have consistency when selling a product. I would have to get an amazing batch the first time with a small order, and then get a horrible batch when I have spent a lot of money.

I just want to try some different cool cigars. I am also up for some other suggestion of decent priced cigars that are amazing on other websites, as long as they ship to Canada. Thanks so far everyone.

BC-Axeman
02-06-2010, 08:39 AM
But, the Taboo line may be something for the OP to check out. Perhaps I just got a bad batch. Some of the cigars smoked "wet" and possibly would have been better if stored at 65% for a longer time or dry boxed.

WyoBob
I think I noticed this before. I never smoke a Taboo that hasn't rested for at least 4 months.

rizzle
02-08-2010, 08:41 AM
The ones I've smoked haven't left me yearning for more.

Taboo Cigars
02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Hello Inmates!

This should help............

Taboo News/Update:

Due to consistency issues we have dropped a few blends to make room for new ones. We have discontinued all the LR's mainly because they are "Limited Reserves" and we never intended to make them forever. We are going to the Dominican next week to work on new blends. Some of you may be asked to sample new blends in the next few months. The LR Havana Robusto was a top seller, but unfortunately it's time to make some new LR blends. (new year) We are also working on new bends in Costa Rica, Hon and Nic.

The Special Forces was not up to par, so we sent them back to the factory. We will no longer have this blend. The blend was mild with a brown wrapper and not what it originally was. I'm still pissed about this blend, so let's move on. lol

The Taboo Costa Rica Maduro is more flavorful than ever now. It is still mild-med bodied. (finishes med) If you have not tried this blend since DEC 2009, it's worth trying again. Very consistent.

The Twist 6x58 remains our #1 seller out of all the brands we sell. The only problem is we can't keep them in stock. We expect more in March.Very consistent but the different sizes have more or less flavor depending on the rg.

The HSG Churchill is also a top seller. We plan to continue this blend but do away with the bottom two sizes. This is a great cigar under $5 (under $4 on sale) Very consistent but the different sizes have slightly more or less flavor depending on the rg.

I personally don't like cameroon or corojo(new Taboo) but they seem to be doing well. Very consistent.

The Ecuador Connecticut remains a top seller. Very consistent.

The Taboo Value blend is a huge seller....This cigar will be here forever.

The Exotic Original does well when we have them. You'd be shocked if you know who made them. Very consistent.

The Exotic Blend II mad I don't care for but does ok. We are thinking of dropping this one.

If anyone is ever not satisfied with our products or service, we will exchange anything plus bonus you for your time. Customer service is our #1 goal. We appreciate all of you. Let us know if you have any issues with any order from us.

Thanks for all the kind words about us. We work very hard to make everyone happy.
Have a great week and thank you for your business!
Rob

njstone
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
All the Taboo house-blend cigars I've had I've enjoyed and thought were well worth the coin (though I got them on sale). As a store, I LOVE ordering from Taboo. They are friendly, helpful, and always willing to work with me or solve problems.

kelmac07
02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Gonna miss those Special Forces.

Kreth
02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
:tpd: Probably my favorite from them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Taboo Cigars
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM

me too! This blend has been my biggest headache since day one. I plan to come up with something better in the near future.
Sorry

njstone
02-09-2010, 05:21 PM

I got a full bundle of Boot Camp torpedoes before they were gone :banger

Taboo Cigars
02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
I got a full bundle of Boot Camp torpedoes before they were gone :banger We have singles left for $1 if anyone wants what is left. call us.
CA MEMBERS ONLY

Ferrari5180
02-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Hey Taboo (Patrick, if that is you), I ordered on Sunday, we spoke over the phone about shipping to Montreal. I'll let everyone know how everything goes, and Thanks!

shilala
02-10-2010, 07:03 AM
me too! This blend has been my biggest headache since day one. I plan to come up with something better in the near future.
Sorry
When they were on, you couldn't buy a better cigar. My last batch sucked, but the one before was incredible. I somehow mixed them up, now it's hit and miss. :)
If they screw up the Twist, I think it's time to thump some heads, Rob-bo. ;)

Ferrari5180
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I just received them in the mail today with no hassle or duty fees. They looks very nice and smell good. Will be writing a review once I smoke them.

cigarlvr
02-12-2010, 02:34 PM
The LR Havana robustos that I picked up were very tasty. They are even better now that they have had a little time in the humidor. To bad they are gone

weak_link
02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
:tdIt's awesome when you specifically tell them to change the address on file so they don't go to your ex-wife who is not a fan of cigar purchases but they ship to her anyway. :td:td

acruce
02-12-2010, 02:47 PM
The Twist Robusto are some of my favorite cigars. Smoking one right now.

ripper
02-12-2010, 02:49 PM
:tdIt's awesome when you specifically tell them to change the address on file so they don't go to your ex-wife who is not a fan of cigar purchases but they ship to her anyway. :td:td
Had my ex-wife taken out in the desert and set on fire.
That prevents future problems.

shilala
02-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Had my ex-wife taken out in the desert and set on fire.
That prevents future problems.
That'd just make my ex-wife meaner, Bart. :D