PDA

View Full Version : Any tax people here?

Thrak
02-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Doing my taxes and hit a snag... line 4 on my 1098s are confusing. I have 4 of them!

We refi'd last year and paid over $4000 up front for MIP. However, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put that in as total MIP for 09 or what I should do with it... that 1098 is from the refi company, and not even BOA (who my mortgage is now with). My BOA 1098 shows ~$325 MIP for 09.

So, do I add them together? Take one or the other? The difference in my return is pretty significant obviously and I dont want to get it wrong.

Thanks!! :ss

Whee
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Who did you pay the $4k to? did they issue a 1098?

Whee
02-01-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=202593,00.html

This may answer your question. This is for last year, but should be unchanged for this year.

Whee
02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Here's a link to the Schedule A instructions. Look for the Line 13 worksheet. That should take care of you.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sca.pdf

Thrak
02-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks!

I paid it to the mortgage company @ the closing... it is listed on a 1098-Mortgage that I received from them.

That in the pdf is what I dont understand. I refinanced, so is it MIP that I paid "in connection with home acquisition debt that was secured by" my house. To me that seems like it would be a new house/purchase not a refi.

Also, once they sold the mortgage to BOA, my monthly payments include a MIP payment, and that is also listed on a 1098-Mort from them. Am I able to add them together?

The difference in my return is literally double.... I may have to just call the IRS or something, cuz its confusing. I read online that some people are taking what they paid at closing, dividing by the term of the loan (30yrs in my case) and taking that amount on their 09 return, then the same every year after... but that doesnt seem right to me.

Whee
02-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks!

I paid it to the mortgage company @ the closing... it is listed on a 1098-Mortgage that I received from them.

That in the pdf is what I dont understand. I refinanced, so is it MIP that I paid "in connection with home acquisition debt that was secured by" my house. To me that seems like it would be a new house/purchase not a refi.

Also, once they sold the mortgage to BOA, my monthly payments include a MIP payment, and that is also listed on a 1098-Mort from them. Am I able to add them together?

The difference in my return is literally double.... I may have to just call the IRS or something, cuz its confusing. I read online that some people are taking what they paid at closing, dividing by the term of the loan (30yrs in my case) and taking that amount on their 09 return, then the same every year after... but that doesnt seem right to me.

The IRS will be hard to get an answer from this time of year. I would suggest finding am H&R Block Premium office in your area. (I spent 15 years with them). They could answer just as easy as the IRS and less headache.

My take is if it is on the 1098s, you should be able to add all the amounts together and use.