PDA

View Full Version : Corona Gordas - Tribute/Reviews/Comparison

TomHagen
10-29-2008, 12:22 AM
I have transferred over this project, as it is a valuable work in progress...

Feedback please!

Corona Gorda – The White Horse

I got inspired to create new thread and comparison/review by my love of one of the rarest of sizes – the Corona Gorda 5 5/8 X 46. In today cigar marketplace most lines of cigar brands don’t even include this size, especially outside of Cuba. (Even my personal favorite Padron doesn’t have this size in their profile) It took me a while to arrive upon my favorite size Corona Gorda because in most humis larger ring-gauges are paramount, Robustos are king, Lanceros are romanticized, and although I constantly smoke these sizes (among others), the Corona Gorda remains in the background in all her glory.

Many connoisseurs consider the Corona Gorda to be their favorite size, due to its balance and complexity of flavor(s). It is well-regarded due to its balance of proportions between wrapper, binder and filler. The Corona Gorda is not too thick, not too slim, not too long and not too short, but has a great feel in the mouth and in the hand and gives a great flavor profile for it’s smoking time. Classic.

In fact in a recent Cigar Aficionado article about the cigar size of choice for cigar makers, many said that the Corona size, and specifically the Corona Gorda, was best for tasting all of the elements of a cigar blend. Of the makers who specifically said the Corona Gorda was their favorite, Ernesto Perez-Carillo said he “gets the most complexity and taste from the blend”, Jonathan Drew of Drew Estates mentioned the mouth-feel, Dion Giolito of Illusione said the Corona Gorda is the “perfect vehicle for flavor” and Pete Johnson of Tatuaje also said it was his favorite size because “this is one of the all-time greatest sizes… To me, this cigar is like the white horse in the field with a bunch of regular horses.” One of my best resources on Cuban cigars, (in the Cuban factories frequently) considers the Corona Gordas coming out of Cuba to be the “best bang for the buck” as far as flavor, smoking time and price point.

We are all familiar with the classic Cuban Corona Gordas – Punch Punch, H. Upmann Magnum 46. SLR Serie A, Cohiba Siglo IV, Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 1, Juan Lopez Seleccion No 1 etc… but this comparison focuses more on the few NC Corona Gordas on the market. While not in the profile of most cigar lines, it should come as no surprise that the majority of them are rolled by Don Pepin Garcia, one of the best and most authentic rollers/blenders that create cigars the Cuban tradition. The other cigars are by Illusione, Ashton VSG and the one CC is the Punch Royal Seleccion #11, what many consider to be the best Corona Gorda coming out of Cuba today, yet not one of the aforementioned standard Corona Gordas. Here’s the breakdown…

Tatuaje Black
Tatuaje Havana IV Hermosos
Tatuaje White P1
La Riqueza #3
Cabaiguan Guapo 46
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Exquisitos
Illusione cg:4 white horse
Illusione eccj 15th Anniversary
Ashton VSG Corona Gorda
Cabaiguan Maduro 46
Padilla 1932 Corona Gorda
Punch Royal Seleccion #11

I will be reviewing each of these smokes, at least one per week on this thread. I have not reviewed many cigars, nor claim to have the most developed palate, but I hope you enjoy the ride.
If you have any other Corona Gordas you would like added to this thread or any input let me know.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20565&d=1219555580

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20566&d=1219555580

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20695&d=1220247363

It was easy to pinpoint this size for review, because so few cigars fall into these parameters, but I think this kind of cross-section review of similiar Marcas in the same size by true BOTL's is of great interest to CA members.

ps.Thanks to Dan from New Havana Cigars for helping complete this line-up.

TomHagen
10-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos

Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

</B>
Blended in the style of the flavorful yet Medium Bodied Cuban Cigars.
Cigars are rolled in Nicaragua using select Nicaraguan tobaccos and classic cuban blending with a beautiful Cuban triple-cap.

Staying true to the pride of El Rey de Los Habanos. The Hermoso is simply a perfect size, and translates to "beautiful, lovely, fine" - all of which describe the Havana VI blend in a size that everyone is bound to enjoy. This corona gorda highlights the flavors in the blend and allows the cigar to change in subtle stages while smoking it.

The Hermosos are made in Esteli Nicaragua at the Tabacalera Cubana factory overseen by Don Pepin Garcia.
(taken from Tatuaje & NHC websites, respectively)

This is my first review here, so here goes...

Firstly, the wrapper and appearance of the cigar was wonderful. Few veins, nice oily-ness, slightly toothy in spots, but very symmetrically rolled and wrapped.

So to my surprise, upon cutting it with my Palio, the cap revealed tobacco which almost appeared to be short filler stuck in the end. Small chunks of tobacco were exposed and fell out!!! Never had this happen with a Tatuaje before (and I have been through almost the whole lines of Brown and Red), so I decided to cut slightly lower (as I cut a little high up on the cap usually) and the same thing happened again and some the wrapper cracked revealing binder!!! OUCH!!http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20717&d=1220333337

Not to be totally crushed, I fired it up, and immediately that wonderful aroma of Tatuaje Havana VI wafted up...Toasted Black Cherries, a slight Chocolateyness and eventually developed a little spice about 1/2 inch in. I find this flavor very akin to Illusione MK, a little in San Cristobal (but less cherry) and in some Padron 26 Maduro (esp. no. 35 the small one). I really love it! Here it is less sweet than a Maduro, more powerful, and less complex, more bold than in the Illusione's signature taste.
The cigar didn't change much in flavor throughout, but certain nuances came out and dissappeared. Very consistant.
The initial flaw in the cap didn't hurt the burn, which was perfect, leaving a solid beautiful white ash. http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20718&d=1220333337
The rough cut on the cap left an unpleasantness in the feel, and little tobacco bits in my mouth like a short filler or machine rolled - very uncharachteristic for a Tatuaje. Copious amounts of smoke on a very even perfect draw.
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20719&d=1220333337
Overall: out of 10
Flavor 9
Burn/Draw 10
Appearance 9
Construct 6
Value 10 (most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 8
Total Avg. 8.67
I focus a lot on flavor being paramount, so I definitely would buy again and try again, cause the cap issue was the only bad factor. Consistant flavor throughout.
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20720&d=1220333453

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20721&d=1220333453

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20722&d=1220333453

TomHagen
10-29-2008, 12:34 AM
The cg:4, which measures 5 5/8 inches by 46 ring, has balance as well as strength, with sweet leather, nuts and cocoa on the palate. The cigars are the brainchild of Dion Giolito.
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20883&d=1220936324
MADE BY: Fernandez y Fernandez
FACTORY LOCATION: Honduras
WRAPPER: Nicaragua
BINDER: Nicaragua
FILLER: Nicaragua
Dion Giolito blended these cigars using tobacco from first generation Corojo '99 and Criollo '98 seeds. They are beautifully constructed, featuring a Cafe Colorado wrapper and a cuban style triple cap.

The entire line is as filled with hidden meanings as the cigars are filled with flavor.

Made at the Raices Cubanas factory in Honduras from 100% Nicaraguan tobacco.

(from CA & NHC)

Which one is it Fernandez or Raices Cubans in Honduras??? or it the same thing??

The Illusione cg:4 is referred to as the "white horse" by Dion. As we know it was rated very highly on CA, ok, who cares, here goes...

First, let me say I smoke these cigars, Illusione and specifically the cg:4, very frequently.

Beautiful reddish-dark brown (colorado?) wrapper, sharp clean cut.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20881&d=1220936309

This particular specimen didn't have the sweetness, sweet leather or burnt black cherry-like flavor other cg:4's have had. It was more cuban-eque with a balanced earthy, tobacco flavors. I definitely enjoyed the cigar and the change in it's flavor profile, but was expecting the same.
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20882&d=1220936309
As with most in the Illusione line, this cigar starts with a strong flavour and develops into a more moderate flavor, and then builds again by the nub (this is where the classic Illusione sweet, charred cherry flavor returned).
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20884&d=1220936443
The cigar's first third burned razor sharp, a little uneven in the middle for a short while, but evened out on it's own shortly there after.
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20885&d=1220936443
I must say this specimen, was different also, in that it wasn't as complex, yet consistent and tasty.
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20886&d=1220936443
Flavor 8
Burn/Draw 9
Appearance 9
Construct 8
Value 10 (most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 8
Total Avg. 8.67

elderboy02
10-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Nice! I love those ~cg:4's~

I can't wait for the rest of the reviews!

BengalMan
10-29-2008, 07:28 AM
This is an awsome idea. Looking forward to seeing your review on the ECCJ. Unfortunately I missed the release of these.

Coz77
10-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Awesome line up you got there...looking forward to the rest of your reviews.

Skywalker
10-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Glad you tranfered this one over!

CG4 - Nice review!!!:)

Smokin Gator
10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
I just got 15 of the Padilla 1932 Signature Corona Gordas. I look forward to your review.

TomHagen
10-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I just got 15 of the Padilla 1932 Signature Corona Gordas. I look forward to your review.

I hope they are the Pepin rolled...
a buddy from the "old country" gifted me the one for this comparison, I am really looking forward to it...:ss

Smokin Gator
10-29-2008, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=TomHagen;41471]I hope they are the Pepin rolled...QUOTE]

They are!!:D

TomHagen
12-08-2008, 09:26 PM

Cabaiguan Guapos 46

Cabaiguan - pronounced kah-bei-gWAHN, is named after a city in northern Sancti Spiritus province of Cuba. It is a medium bodied cuban style cigar, but we would consider it even stronger - especially towards the finish. This cigar has a burst of flavor and spice before lighting and mixes with the Nicaraguan blend of filler for an extremely flavorful smoke. Pepin's son, Jaime, worked with Pete during the blending process to produce this beauty.
The Guapo is the newest release in the Cabaiguan line. It features an Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper - making it stand out in the Cabaiguan offerings as yet another special Exlclusivo.

Box of 20 (5 5/8 x 46)

One of 3 new sizes in the Cabaiguan line, the Guapo 46 features a Sun Grown wrapper - giving this vitola a different experience in the Cabaiguan blend.

A ribbon holds the bundle of 20 cigars, which is then wrapped in paper and packaged in a beautiful hinged box.

The Guapo is rolled in Esteli, Nicaragua at the Tabacalera Cubana factory. A product of the El Rey factory exclusively for Tatuaje.

This stick has a beautiful caramel colored wrapper topped with a pigtail triple cap. Wonderful appearance. I burned even throughout, needing hardly a touch-up.

The taste changed wonderfully throughout starting with a nice floral, smoky spice that developed into a rich caramel (slightly choco-honey rum cake) flavors. A good full-body smoke, influenced by the sungrown wrapper.

This cigar was more full-bodied and rich (than the Rx) due to it's size, wrapper/filler/binder ratio. The Rx was more traditionally cuban-esque, while this was more "dark"(?) tasting.

Smoked to the nub, I totally enjoyed the nice, long finish and would highly recommend.

Flavor 9
Burn/Draw 10
Appearance 10
Construct 9
Value 9(most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 9
Total Avg. 9.33

icehog3
12-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Very cool thread, Consigliere! :tu

DrDubzz
12-08-2008, 09:33 PM
this is probably my favorite vitola, I look forward to all the reviews

TomHagen
12-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Some new Vitolas for the Corona Gorda "horizontal" tasting.

It seems I really have my work cut out for me...

(click the image)

La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial - Don Pepin Garcia

Esencia Cigars Corona Gorda

S. Luis Rey Serie A - CC '01

Casa Royale Ace - Don Pepin Garcia

Sorry, it's getting hard to keep up with this tasting, as it is ever expanding, but I think it is a rewarding case study on this vitola.

All the best:ss

ucla695
12-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Cool thread! I can’t wait to read the next reviews.

Yazzie
12-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks for doing this. Can't wait for your review on the Ashton VSG which is one of my favorite NC's

gvarsity
12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
This is a great thread. Thank you for making the sacrifice to commit to smoking this whole lineup. :ss Love the Guapos myself. One of my personal best finds of 08. Keep the reviews coming.

TomHagen
12-22-2008, 09:14 PM
This is a great thread. Thank you for making the sacrifice to commit to smoking this whole lineup. :ss Love the Guapos myself. One of my personal best finds of 08. Keep the reviews coming.

Yeah... but it's cold out there, and the typing and the photo uploads... oy!

:tpd:The Guapos are definitely one of my best finds of 08 as well. I was put off by the mild/dry finish of the orig. Cabaiguans, but these Guapos are great!!!

Boobar
12-23-2008, 08:13 PM
The corona gorda has become one of my favorite sizes. I really love the Ashton VSG, the Illusione cg:4, and I also really like the La Flor De Cano Predilectos. The La Flor is not quite to the caliber that the other 2 are but it is a great every day smoke.

TomHagen
12-23-2008, 11:49 PM
The corona gorda has become one of my favorite sizes. I really love the Ashton VSG, the Illusione cg:4, and I also really like the La Flor De Cano Predilectos. The La Flor is not quite to the caliber that the other 2 are but it is a great every day smoke.

Interesting, I have never had one... but I was recently VERY impressed by one of the La Flor de Cano Selectos someone sent me. It had a darker wrapper and was incomparable to a somewhat lighter one I had before which was horrible. It came in the cello with the red peel-away band to open the plastic. Is the Predilectos similiar??

Boobar
12-24-2008, 06:59 AM
It came in the cello with the red peel-away band to open the plastic. Is the Predilectos similiar??

The La Flor De Cano Predilectos is wrapped in cello similar to any other premium cigar that you would get. Cigar slides out the bottom and the band on mine is wrapped around the cigar itself. I got a 5-pack from CI for $16.00

TomHagen
12-24-2008, 11:53 AM
The La Flor De Cano Predilectos is wrapped in cello similar to any other premium cigar that you would get. Cigar slides out the bottom and the band on mine is wrapped around the cigar itself. I got a 5-pack from CI for $16.00

I apologize, I was referring to the Cuban LFdC....

gvarsity
12-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Just wanted to chime in with another review of the Illusione CG:4 don't want to threadjack but I didn't feel the need to start a whole new thread either. Love the Corona Gorda size and am enjoying this thread.

Beautiful cigar. Picked it up at the St. Croix cigar (http://www.stcroixcigar.com/) in Hudson Wi. Nice shop with good folks unfortunately I didn't have time to hang out and herf.

The first couple of puffs were so spicy it almost felt acidic on the lips. This cigar started very strong and bitter. After about .5 inch it mellowed considerably and had some nice earthy flavors. Generally it was a well constructed and tasty cigar. I did a couple little touch ups but they weren't really necessary.

The main issue I had was this cigar had a very narrow window where you could get all of the flavors. You couldn't just sip it because it really didn't draw much smoke unless it was pretty hot on the other hand it got to hot very easily which wiped out all of the nice flavors. I also had to purge it more than once an inch to keep it from getting sharp and bitter. It would turn very quickly but after purging would be right back to those nice flavors.

It was just finicky for lack of a better term. I really enjoyed it and understand what people like about the cg:4 it just required a lot of attention.

Cheers

troutbreath
12-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Cool thread! I look forward to following this as you continue!

TomHagen
12-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Just wanted to chime in with another review of the Illusione CG:4 don't want to threadjack but I didn't feel the need to start a whole new thread either. Love the Corona Gorda size and am enjoying this thread.

Please CHIME IN!! This would be great to have an interactive thread with everyones input!

Beautiful cigar. Agreed!! Nice Colorodo wrapper.

You couldn't just sip it because it really didn't draw much smoke unless it was pretty hot on the other hand it got to hot very easily which wiped out all of the nice flavors.

I have had this EXACT experience before with MANY of the Illusione line. While many are excellent, there seems to be some inconsistencies in many regards.

Thanks for the great input and review! The more feedback the better!

alfbacca
12-31-2008, 02:46 AM
It's because of this thread that I found myself clicking continue on an order that included Ashton VSG Corona Gordas and DPG Exquisitos yesterday morning. Corona Gordas have been my go-to size for the past month, especially those Cabaiguan Guapos 46. Thanks for putting this all together and can't wait for the next review.

gvarsity
12-31-2008, 07:24 AM
TI have had this EXACT experience before with MANY of the Illusione line. While many are excellent, there seems to be some inconsistencies in many regards.

I'm not sure if it's inconsistencies or just how the blend is put together. It might have been a tad wet but generally showed good construction. I've only had one so I can't tell if it was representative of the line or not. I will happily try these again when I get the chance. I have been following another thread about buying way more cigars than I can smoke. I'm lucky to get one or two a week and I think I added 70+ to my hoard in December. Fifty of those being in the corona gorda size thank you. :ss Whats next on your list to review?

TomHagen
01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
It's because of this thread that I found myself clicking continue on an order that included Ashton VSG Corona Gordas and DPG Exquisitos yesterday morning. Corona Gordas have been my go-to size for the past month, especially those Cabaiguan Guapos 46. Thanks for putting this all together and can't wait for the next review.

I'm not sure if it's inconsistencies or just how the blend is put together. It might have been a tad wet but generally showed good construction. I've only had one so I can't tell if it was representative of the line or not. I will happily try these again when I get the chance. Agreed. They can be too wet. I have been following another thread about buying way more cigars than I can smoke. I'm lucky to get one or two a week and I think I added 70+ to my hoard in December. Fifty of those being in the corona gorda size thank you. :ss Whats next on your list to review?

WOW! I am really glad this thread is pushing some BOTL's down the slope!!!:ss

I have a few cigars already smoked with pics. Just not reviewed here yet. I will try to post soon. I also have been affected by the weather to try an enjoy a smoke (and take pics) for the review. Most of my winter smoking is at a B&M. Being that I only have 1 of most of these smokes, and don't have the $ to stock up (esp. in the winter, when I go to the B&M for 1 smoke at a time), I try and really get an accurate portrayal of what they are about.
:D

TomHagen
01-04-2009, 09:20 PM
La Riqueza #3

Origin: Nicaragua
Length: 5 5/8
Ring Gauge: 46
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf

1) The Riches or The Wealth in Spanish.
2) An Old World Medium Bodied Cuban Style Cigar created by Pete Johnson

Wrapper: Naturally Dark USA Connecticut Broadleaf
Binder: Nicaragua

Another Don Pepin Garcia (& Pete Johnson (Tatuaje)) creation.

Blended in the style of the Full Flavored Medium Bodied Cuban Cigars.
Cigars are rolled in Nicaragua with traditionally cuban box press in dress boxes.

La Riqueza is an old cuban brand name from the 1920's that was made in the Quintero factory in Cuba. The artwork replicates the original with a few updates, of course.

Rolled at Tabacalera Cubana in Esteli Nicaragua. The Riqueza wrapper is the product of the Oliva Tobacco Company. Triple cap.

Dress boxes of 25.

First one notices the unique dark, tight wrapper with it's oily, toothy sheen and it's intense box press which almost flattens the cigar. This I believe it to give the feeling of being lighter, without heft in the hand (or mouth), and possibly made with less tobacco, so as to maintain the girth of a 46 ring gauge even after being pressed.

(click the images)

The draw was tight (as on many La Riqueza) on this "slight" stick, yet it burned very evenly throughout, imparting a good amount of smoke, yet due to it's seemingly light girth was not a comfortable "feel" in the hand (almost cigarette-like).

The flavors are very nice on this stick, the dark conneticut broadleaf imparting much of the flavor to this stick especially in a pressed 46 ring gauge, possibly leaving little room for filler. Though not very complex, the developing flavours were consistant and enjoyable.

There was a semi-sweet leathery-ness and pleasant charred taste after the initial spice (and a noted dryness) died down that built as the stick progressed through the smoking. It began a wet earthiness, that wasn't so complex.

It got stronger, yet hotter, as one reached the nub. The stick seem to end in any development as I reached the nub, nothing new, and I tasted everything it had to offer.
It had nice aromas throughout that I wished I could taste, but were somehow overpowered.

Flavor 7
Burn/Draw 9
Appearance 9
Construct 7
Value 8 (most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 7
Total Avg. 7.83

Personal note: I have enjoyed many of the sizes of the La Riqueza, yet have been generally under-whelmed by the line, especially for the price/demand. The Robusto/Hermosa #4 size being the most enjoyable so far, perhaps due to its more square than flattened rectangle shape and it's slightly bigger girth giving it some more complexity. I really enjoyed the #4 the best, it was great!!! I think that the Tatuaje and Cabaiguan Guapo lines are a much better product IMHO. Yet, the La Riqueza definitely has it's niche and is a fine smoke. Recommend to try.

TomHagen
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
La Riqueza #3 nub

Next reviews are probably a Tat Black, Punch Royal Seleccion #11 (2007), Esencia Corona Gorda... :ss

ActionAndy
01-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Very cool thread, smoked a lot of those sticks without even realizing the size was something special..

Scottw
01-08-2009, 01:45 PM
The la aroma is darn tasty.

TomHagen
01-09-2009, 09:05 AM
The la aroma is darn tasty.

:tpd: I haven't had the Corona Gorda yet, but the other 3 vitolas I have had are great! Great flavour for a med. bodied smoke!

Sauer Grapes
01-09-2009, 10:51 AM
When you say most corona gordas aren't cheap, are you referring to them not being available in cheaper brands or saying that the size cost more than the same cigar in other sizes? I have always doing cg size to be on the cheaper end I the sizes, but I haven paid attention to whether or not I've seen the size in cheaper brands.

gvarsity
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Nice review sounds like a good stick.

TomHagen
01-09-2009, 11:58 AM
When you say most corona gordas aren't cheap, are you referring to them not being available in cheaper brands or saying that the size cost more than the same cigar in other sizes? I have always doing cg size to be on the cheaper end I the sizes, but I haven paid attention to whether or not I've seen the size in cheaper brands.

Not being available in cheaper brands. Usually in those brands that are more traditional in their craftsmanship and vitolas - ex. DPG.

Sauer Grapes
01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks for clarifying.

vudu9
01-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Great comprehensive reviews!

TomHagen
01-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Great comprehensive reviews!

Thanks for the props, Dion. Glad you enjoyed the read.
Here's your props - the Illusione line is an amazing line of cigars!! You keep making 'em, I'll keep reviewing 'em.
Welcome to CA!

I'll keep the reviews coming!:ss

TomHagen
02-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Esencia Corona Gorda 5 5/8x46
LTD 2008

Esencia is the attribute or set of attributes that make an object what it is fundamentally.

Esencia is a completely handmade medium to full bodied Nicaraguan puro cigar available in four classic Cuban sizes. Each has been crafted in an old world Havana style using a traditional blend of Criollo and Corojo leaf of only the highest quality. Production of the Esencia is limited to the availability of the very best in raw materials.

Made by the BOTL behind personal favorite cutter Palio.
(Marc being my main contact there)

When speaking to the manufacturer, he said that they were going for the pre-1995 Habano flavor-profile. (According the education I recieved - This was before they began blending their cigars more "for the masses", thereby limiting the amount of ligero and leaves of criollo and corojo in the blends, making them somewhat more palatable for the average smoker. (I personally find many cc marcas do not differ from each other in their flavor profiles) Also they had to compete with blue-mold, so had to create differing tobaccos, blend etc. to keep up with production.) So the makers of Esencia tried to harken back to the previous blend of a Habano.
Anyway, the creators of Esencia definitely created a med-full bodied smoke, without skimping on the flavor. The appearance was beautiful - classic Cuban construct - triple seam cap, nice brown colorado wrapper.

(click pics to enlarge)

The pre-light aromas were at first very similiar to a Padron x000, but with some sweetness. delicious.

The initial light was very even creating a pepper colored ash that held very nicely. There was not the initial spicy-ness of a DPG, but imediately recalled the charred-taste of a Tatuaje Black, yet this was little more mellow and developed into that great sweet graham cracker taste I really enjoy.

As I began to enter the second third of the cigar the flavors started to really pick up and realized while balanced, this cigar was had a nice complexity that kept me guessing. I could identify a lot of different flavors that I enjoy. Some good tobacco, slight choco/expresso... great through the nose.

However, when I got the half-way point it needed some touch-ups and even a relight. To be fare, I only smoked 2 of these cigars, ever. The second one burned PERFECTLY throughout, leaving a beautiful solid pepper ash that only fell off cause I wanted it to, each time revealing more flavor. Very elegant.

The complexity died down a little after the midway point and picked up significantly towards the nub, which I did not want to go out. It had developed a full-bodied character and had a nice long finish that stayed with me.

This cigar was phenomenal. Elegant smoke, with complex flavors and could smoke one after the other. It recalled a Tat Black (robusto) and a fuller bodied CC. I really want to try different sizes in this blend, esp. Petite Corona and would definitely consider buying a box. One of the best "new" cigars I have had. Esencia got it right!!

Flavor 10
Burn/Draw 9
Appearance 10
Construct 9
Smoking Experience 10
Total Avg. 9.67

(last pic on the next page)

TomHagen
02-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Esencia CG.

The end pic...

Click the pics to enlarge.

OpusEx
02-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Esencia Corona Gorda 5 5/8x46
LTD 2008

Esencia is the attribute or set of attributes that make an object what it is fundamentally.

Esencia is a completely handmade medium to full bodied Nicaraguan puro cigar available in four classic Cuban sizes. Each has been crafted in an old world Havana style using a traditional blend of Criollo and Corojo leaf of only the highest quality. Production of the Esencia is limited to the availability of the very best in raw materials.

Made by the BOTL behind personal favorite cutter Palio.
(Marc being my main contact there)

When speaking to the manufacturer, he said that they were going for the pre-1995 Habano flavor-profile. (According the education I recieved - This was before they began blending their cigars more "for the masses", thereby limiting the amount of ligero and leaves of criollo and corojo in the blends, making them somewhat more palatable for the average smoker. (I personally find many cc marcas do not differ from each other in their flavor profiles) Also they had to compete with blue-mold, so had to create differing tobaccos, blend etc. to keep up with production.) So the makers of Esencia tried to harken back to the previous blend of a Habano.
Anyway, the creators of Esencia definitely created a med-full bodied smoke, without skimping on the flavor. The appearance was beautiful - classic Cuban construct - triple seam cap, nice brown colorado wrapper.

(click pics to enlarge)

The pre-light aromas were at first very similiar to a Padron x000, but with some sweetness. delicious.

The initial light was very even creating a pepper colored ash that held very nicely. There was not the initial spicy-ness of a DPG, but imediately recalled the charred-taste of a Tatuaje Black, yet this was little more mellow and developed into that great sweet graham cracker taste I really enjoy.

As I began to enter the second third of the cigar the flavors started to really pick up and realized while balanced, this cigar was had a nice complexity that kept me guessing. I could identify a lot of different flavors that I enjoy. Some good tobacco, slight choco/expresso... great through the nose.

However, when I got the half-way point it needed some touch-ups and even a relight. To be fare, I only smoked 2 of these cigars, ever. The second one burned PERFECTLY throughout, leaving a beautiful solid pepper ash that only fell off cause I wanted it to, each time revealing more flavor. Very elegant.

The complexity died down a little after the midway point and picked up significantly towards the nub, which I did not want to go out. It had developed a full-bodied character and had a nice long finish that stayed with me.

This cigar was phenomenal. Elegant smoke, with complex flavors and could smoke one after the other. It recalled a Tat Black (robusto) and a fuller bodied CC. I really want to try different sizes in this blend, esp. Petite Corona and would definitely consider buying a box. One of the best "new" cigars I have had. Esencia got it right!!

Flavor 10
Burn/Draw 9
Appearance 10
Construct 9
Smoking Experience 10
Total Avg. 9.67

(last pic on the next page)

Excellent review sir and thank you for including the Esencia in your line up.

TomHagen
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
This is an awsome idea. Looking forward to seeing your review on the ECCJ. Unfortunately I missed the release of these.

They have been re-released. Check with Dan at NHC.

gvarsity
03-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Nice review. You have really peaked my interest. I will have Check with Dan at NHC. Great thread.

TomHagen
03-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Nice review. You have really peaked my interest. I will have Check with Dan at NHC. Great thread.

Thanks for the props. Let Dan know where you heard it from!!

TomHagen
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
2572La Flor Dominicana Habano Corona

This was not on my original list of Corona Gordas, nor do I have pics, but I just smoked one of these last night at my B&M and thought I should post a review. I walked into the smoke shop and the owner/mngr. said he just got in this new, rare LFD, and he knows I love CG's, so I gave it whirl, even though I really don't go for LFD's (except Coronados), mostly because they really give me a headache and I rarely smoke Dominicans, unless highly recommended. I have been wanting to try the new LFD Salamone, but it too much $ (and time) and it will give me a HUGE headache. While smoking this I didn't know it was the same wrapper as the Salamones.

After smoking it and only found 1 online source for them...
After making his Salomons and then re-wrapping the original Small Batch No. 1 Litto still had a fair amount of Salomon wrapper leaf left. What he did was blend up some Dominican tobaccos from his farm in La Canela and made some 5 3/4 x 46 Corona cigars with his Salomon wrapper. Litto couldn't make enough to have a regular production or limited edition cigar, however he was able to put together 700 boxes of 20.
These cigars were made in very small quantities.

Seemingly pretty rare, cost $10, which at a B&M is not soo overpriced nowadays, but it is kinda high for a CG.

So first glance it had a very nice triple-cap Cuban style and a interesting very nice dark wrapper, not maduro though, more dark colorado. The pre-light was kinda tight and "thick/wet?" tasting like I find most LFD's (and some Opus), but perfectly manageable. THe burn started pretty uneven but corrected itself and maintained a razor sharp burn with a nice size ash throughout, though slightly flaky.

The cigar tasted like typical LFD, but perhaps more balanced, good amounts of smoke throughout and pretty nice, solid flavor. It was relatively complex, but not dynamic in that it didn't change/evolve, which I find with many LFD. It was slightly more Cuban-eque, but still recoginzable dominican. In general though, it was very enjoyable smoking experience.

But alas, when I began to get up (after watching the Sox sweep the Yanks TWICE!!:D) and drive home vitamin N kicked in and by the time I got home I had to raid the kids juice for a sugar kick and had a disgusting headache that I associate with LFD's, some Opus and many strong Dominicans. Yeah, call me a light weight, but I smoke TONS of DPG, including one of my favorites, Tat Cojonu 2003, and occasional Gran Cojonu, with a slight enjoyable buzz, at most. I don't know why but I just can revisit Litto's sticks, and it's a shame, cause I respect his approach, his product and all, and I know many really love 'em, but I hate the headaches!!

Anyway, I really can't rate this cigar on my typical scale, but if you like LFD's and you can get your hands on one of these, enjoy! It was nice to see more Cuban-esque cigar coming from LFD.

BlackIrish
05-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Yet another outstanding review. I've also found that Litto's nicotine really does seem to hit me harder than others' but he sure makes great smokes.

Thanks!

darkninja67
05-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Good idea for a thread. I cannot wait for the La Aroma review. thanks for the effort too.

gnukfu
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
This is an excellent thread! I was going to mention the Definace Lonsdale at 6x46 but it is a little too long to qualify. You are smoking some of my favorite cigars here. The Esencia really surprised me the first time I ever smoked one. What a great cigar!

nozero
05-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Loving this thread! Thanks!:tu

alfbacca
05-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the review. Will have to go looking for some of these.

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Loving this thread! Thanks!:tu

This is an excellent thread! I was going to mention the Definace Lonsdale at 6x46 but it is a little too long to qualify. You are smoking some of my favorite cigars here. The Esencia really surprised me the first time I ever smoked one. What a great cigar!

Thanks for the review. Will have to go looking for some of these.

Thanks for the props fellas!!

I also want to add the new Alec Bradley Tempus CG to the list. He just added this size to the line up.

TomHagen
06-01-2009, 07:10 PM
I am adding these two wonderful looking sticks by Warped Cigars to the line-up. Thanks for the sticks Kyle!

Anubis Madruo

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Strength: Medium
Hand Made in Little Havana
Retail Price: $6.00 each

AND

Private Blend

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Strength: Full
Available, mid Feb for general release. They are aged in airtight foil bundles for a minimum of 3 months, then stored in cedar cabinets for the rest of their aging time.

colimo
06-02-2009, 12:46 AM
i smoked the tatVI hermoso today and i agree with your review, excellent smoke!!! didnt have the cut issues you did which is good....also smoked the guapa w/in the last week as well with equal enjoyment....

look forward to reading the rest of this thread

Thanks Rabbi

warpedcigars
06-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Your welcome. Hope you enjoy the 2 blends!

Trace63
06-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I was considering posting a review of this stick at first but I just got soooo drawn into it, I decided not too focus too much and just enjoy it.

A La Riqueza! ( I THINK its a #3)

This was my second and last (tear) one. The first was so-so. Well, after a good 9 months of it sitting in the humi this thing is magnificent to say the least. Im not a big pepin/johnson fan at all. The DPG series is a hit and miss with me. Tat reds and whites are ok, and the one brown label that Ive had wasnt a hit either. However, this stick totally fits the bill.

Just the right amount of sweet sweet spice, with cinnamon and nutty flavors lingering in the back, and it has a quick smooth finish. The burn is a little wavy, and it cant hold an ash for dear life, but wow, purely amazing cigar.

TomHagen
03-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Warped Cigars Corona Gorda Review

This cigar was delicious from start to finish it kept me intrigued. Spice, Leather and Balance.

emopunker2004
03-30-2011, 12:49 AM
file:///C:/Users/Rabbi/Pictures/Warped%20Cigars%20Collage.jpg
no worky

TomHagen
03-30-2011, 12:56 AM

As you can see this oily stick burned like a champ all the way down.

warpedcigars
04-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Warped Cigars Corona Gorda Review

This cigar was delicious from start to finish it kept me intrigued. Spice, Leather and Balance.

I smoked one the other night, they are coming along beautifully.

TomHagen
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
If you are coming back strong(er)... We are in for a treat. :)

warpedcigars
04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Haha, stronger would be nice. But the decision will be in the hands of a factory if they are willing to work with me.

TomHagen
04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Haha, stronger would be nice. But the decision will be in the hands of a factory if they are willing to work with me.

I was referencing your tag line. The strength and balance of the cigar is great the way it is!

warpedcigars
04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I was referencing your tag line. The strength and balance of the cigar is great the way it is!

I knew you were referencing it. Yea the PB has really balanced out over the years, its lovely. To bad I have like 5 left.