PDA

View Full Version : Apple's iPad...

Footbag
01-27-2010, 12:16 PM
It's here. Given CA's love of discussing Apple products, I thought it deserved a thread.

Well here's some preliminary info...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live-from-the-apple-tablet-latest-creation-event/1

Mugen910
01-27-2010, 12:17 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/4/2010/01/a524356500d690677b678e85d9fdda58/original.jpg

:D

ucla695
01-27-2010, 12:20 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/4/2010/01/a524356500d690677b678e85d9fdda58/original.jpg

:r :r

Footbag
01-27-2010, 12:21 PM
It'll help Apple to absorb their competition. :r

Mugen910
01-27-2010, 12:22 PM
I read somewhere it looks like an iPhone for Giants...:r but I will say at $499 starting it'll give Kindle and e-book type devices a run.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=322075&d=1264620134

T.G
01-27-2010, 12:28 PM

And it comes in colors.... Colors everywhere... Like a rainbow... It comes in COLORS....

Footbag
01-27-2010, 12:31 PM
I read somewhere it looks like an iPhone for Giants...:r but I will say at $499 starting it'll give Kindle and e-book type devices a run.

Where did you see $400? I heard $800 or $1000 depending on the "plan". Not sure whether the plan is internet or what. At $400 it would give net books a run for their money.

Edit: Just found it. At $499, it will open up a whole new market for Apple. Very interesting.

AD720
01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Where did you see $400? I heard $800 or $1000 depending on the "plan". Not sure whether the plan is internet or what. At $400 it would give net books a run for their money.

Just found it. At $499, it will open up a whole new market for Apple. Very interesting.

Staring at $499. On the engadet live coverage (among many others).

JE3146
01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
I'd only be interested in it for note taking if it could link with my MBP, but since I'll be done with school soon, I won't have any use for it.

Cool idea, I just don't see the need for it. I read through that article and noticed they dodged one important fact (unless I just couldn't find it). What's the battery life? If it's anything less than 2.5 hours, this is a useless gadget. Period.

aich75013
01-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd only be interested in it for note taking if it could link with my MBP, but since I'll be done with school soon, I won't have any use for it.

Cool idea, I just don't see the need for it. I read through that article and noticed they dodged one important fact (unless I just couldn't find it). What's the battery life? If it's anything less than 2.5 hours, this is a useless gadget. Period.

10 hrs.

Footbag
01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
10 hrs.

One month standby as well.

JE3146
01-27-2010, 12:39 PM
10 hrs.

How's it worded though?

Odds are that's not factoring in WiFi activity.

AD720
01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
One month standby as well.

How's it worded though?

Odds are that's not factoring in WiFi activity.

I thought the same thing. It says 10 hours. My thought was 10 hours of doing what?

Footbag
01-27-2010, 12:41 PM
I thought the same thing. It says 10 hours. My thought was 10 hours of doing what?

My guess is that it's 10 hrs of the screen being on.

AD720
01-27-2010, 12:43 PM
My guess is that it's 10 hrs of the screen being on.

Or just maybe ebook reading and music. Video and games are going to chew up battery a lot faster. Add WIFI and/or 3G in the mix and I can't imagine the battery could last that long with a screen that big.

aich75013
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
"What is the battery life like? We've been able to achieve 10 hours of battery life. I can take a flight from San Francisco to Tokyo and watch video the whole time. And it has over a month of standby time."

Flight time is 9hrs?
Of course there will always be a disclaimer saying depending on use.
Same goes for any device. My laptop boasts 7 hours. I doubt I can get 7 hours unless I am surfing the web and doing nothing else.

JE3146
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
"What is the battery life like? We've been able to achieve 10 hours of battery life. I can take a flight from San Francisco to Tokyo and watch video the whole time. And it has over a month of standby time."

Flight time is 9hrs?
Of course there will always be a disclaimer saying depending on use.
Same goes for any device. My laptop boasts 7 hours. I doubt I can get 7 hours unless I am surfing the web and doing nothing else.

Video output on a screen that size will require minimal processing depending on the codec/algorithms. So battery will more or less be entirely dependent on the backlight.

So essentially they're saying you can keep the backlight on for 10 hours and run minimal processing while doing so.

Odds are that's still not factoring ~250mA a pop for WiFi data pulses. That will drain it dead quickly.

replicant_argent
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
I imagine myself cracking that big screen because I dropped it on its face or something else as dorky.
With the touch, you can put a rubber armor case on it, and the real estate left exposed is fairly small. With the larger screen, it would be like dragging around a small lcd tv, and one mistake multiplied by chance and squared screen size would leave me with a paperweight.

markem
01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
It will be interesting where this really shakes out at in terms of usability. The touch screen keyboard is a solid idea and I think that Apple has had enough experience with these to really make them solid. But in the end, it will be the applications that make or break it. If it really is the iPhone OS, then the current iPhone apps should work, at least in some fashion, unless idiosyncrasies of the hardware are exposed to the app.

It is too big to put in your pocket or carry just about anywhere, which means that the iPhone still has a solid edge for many applications. As a DVD player it is overpriced, but the e-book feature combined with video capability and internet capability may give it an edge. Amazon has lost a bundle on the Kindle - it will be interesting to see how much of its stock price Apple is betting on being a better Kindle.

As a netbook killer, well, we'll see. As I said, it is all about the apps.

Footbag
01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Video output on a screen that size will require minimal processing depending on the codec/algorithms. So battery will more or less be entirely dependent on the backlight.

So essentially they're saying you can keep the backlight on for 10 hours and run minimal processing while doing so.

Odds are that's still not factoring ~250mA a pop for WiFi data pulses. That will drain it dead quickly.

They rarely quote battery life with WiFi on.

Mugen910
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Amazon has lost a bundle on the Kindle - it will be interesting to see how much of its stock price Apple is betting on being a better Kindle.

As a netbook killer, well, we'll see. As I said, it is all about the apps.

really? I didn't follow it much and didn't know it wasn't a huge success..

JE3146
01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
really? I didn't follow it much and didn't know it wasn't a huge success..

First I've heard of this as well.

You'd never know looking at amazon's page touting how many they've sold lol.

Mugen910
01-27-2010, 01:01 PM
First I've heard of this as well.

You'd never know looking at amazon's page touting how many they've sold lol.

phew..I wasn't the only one they fooled with advertisement :D

ucla695
01-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Edit: Just found it. At $499, it will open up a whole new market for Apple. Very interesting.

It'll cost between $499 and $829 depending on the model. AT&T is the wireless provided. linky (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704094304575029230041284668.html?m od=WSJ_hps_LEADNewsCollection)

Mugen910
01-27-2010, 01:22 PM

It'll cost between $499 and $829 depending on the model. AT&T is the wireless provided. linky (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704094304575029230041284668.html?m od=WSJ_hps_LEADNewsCollection)

Thanks for the update Mike. :D

jmsremax
01-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Sell AAPL!

Oh, about the iPad.....I don't think I will be buying this.

Footbag
01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
I hate to say it, but if Internet rumblings are any indicator, this isn't going to be the great success it was expected to be. Yesterday I was thinking about doubling down on my AAPL stock. Now it's a hold.

I have to re-evaluate because I was convinced it would be $800+. That said, the glaring lack of features isn't so bothersome at $499.

GreekGodX
01-27-2010, 02:32 PM
The battery life for 10 hours was reported doing one of the features ie using wifi, reading, playing games. Not all simulatenously

Doctorossi
01-27-2010, 02:54 PM
the glaring lack of features

That's funny- I didn't notice one. I'm not sure what you were expecting it to be able to do...

Footbag
01-27-2010, 03:00 PM
That's funny- I didn't notice one. I'm not sure what you were expecting it to be able to do...

No Multitasking, No Flash, No Camera, iPhone OS, 64GB max... More like an up-scaled iPhone then a down-scaled Mac.

If anything I would've expected it to at least be as capable as a netbook.

JE3146
01-27-2010, 03:12 PM

And it begins....

mmblz
01-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Kind of strange...

But the two most significant aspects of it, IMHO are:
1. An Apple chip
2. Unlimited bandwidth over 3G for $30 a month with NO CONTRACT. This is WAY better than anything else out there - $60 with a contract and a 5GB bandwidth cap is pretty standard....

Mugen910
01-27-2010, 03:13 PM
And it begins....

:r

hey if he likes it then all power to him.

tenbaseg
01-27-2010, 03:15 PM
I think the lack of flash support was a mistake. People can survive without it on the iPhone, but in this format, it's a must. There's just too much out there on the 'net built in flash.

JE3146
01-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Kind of strange...

1. An Apple chip
2. Unlimited bandwidth over 3G for $30 a month with NO CONTRACT. This is WAY better than anything else out there - $60 with a contract and a 5GB bandwidth cap is pretty standard....

I was surprised most by 2).

Pity this thing won't run Skype :D

I think the lack of flash support was a mistake. People can survive without it on the iPhone, but in this format, it's a must. There's just too much out there on the 'net built in flash.

I agree to this completely.

Footbag
01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Kind of strange...

1. An Apple chip

I was surprised by both of these. I do wonder how AT&T is going to manage the increased bandwidth that they've been complaining about since the release of the iPhone.
At least the users won't have a contract to try to break.

saggel
01-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I am an Apple FanBoy... but I wan not impressed!!!!

Skywalker
01-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Too cool!!!:tu

Resipsa
01-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Forget about flash:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/apple_adobe_flash

Darrell
01-27-2010, 06:02 PM
I can't help but feel Apple should have spent their R&D time on something else. Not an oversize iPod touch. :2

Doctorossi
01-27-2010, 09:22 PM
hey if he likes it then all power to him.

I'm not saying I'm a fan; I'm just saying it's pretty much what I expected it to be.

0002S
01-28-2010, 04:53 AM
If you were expecting a pad netbook, then you're probably not impresses.

Apple is in the business of selling content and apps through mobile devices. This is another product that accomplishes this.

Once I watched the full presentation I can see where this is a fit for certain people.

The idea of ipad only apps on steroids will eventually make or break this.

It needs a video camera and robust chat feature to truely make it a bridge device between a touch and netbook/laptop. A SD slot and USB port would be great (never happen though)

I'm interested to see if it will be jailbroken and hacked to run OSX. (new chip dependant)

I'll wait for next gen and the price break.

It will kill the Kindle long term if the book store can't match the content of Amazon. (I own a Kindle 2 as reference). Either way the cost of books will come down with competition.

All and all for $100 more than the iPod touch it's not that bad (16 gig less though) of you don't need the pocketability.

Resipsa
01-28-2010, 07:39 AM
This device is going to kill the Kindle in any event, the Ibook store doesn't need to beat the prices of the Kindle store. There's already a kindle app for the iphone that will work with the ipad, if somebody wants to buy ebooks from the amazon store all they need to do is use the kindle for iphone app.

Resipsa
01-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Now this is cool:

http://gizmodo.com/5458498/apple-now-allowing-voip-over-3g-could-ipad-calls-be-next

Mugen910
01-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Now this is cool:

http://gizmodo.com/5458498/apple-now-allowing-voip-over-3g-could-ipad-calls-be-next

This is cooler!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

In all seriousness once the iPad gets unrestricted (multitasking and VOIP ) things will be better...but it is just a bigger iPhone. $5 says the next gen will have a USB port...then the 3rd gen will have HDMI output, 4th gen multitasking...and people will just keep on buying every level. :r

Resipsa
01-28-2010, 07:53 AM
This is cooler!

In all seriousness once the iPad gets unrestricted (multitasking and VOIP ) things will be better...but it is just a bigger iPhone. $5 says the next gen will have a USB port...then the 3rd gen will have HDMI output, 4th gen multitasking...and people will just keep on buying every level. :r

Uh yeah, that was hilarious:rolleyes:

you should really let people know a link isn't safe for
work when you post it:)

Mugen910
01-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Sorry Vic...I didn't it was not safe for work...that skit is from 2007 I think.

ucla695
01-28-2010, 08:36 AM

This is exactly why I'm not an early adopter anymore. :)

CigarNut
01-28-2010, 08:42 AM
This device is going to kill the Kindle in any event, the Ibook store doesn't need to beat the prices of the Kindle store. There's already a kindle app for the iphone that will work with the ipad, if somebody wants to buy ebooks from the amazon store all they need to do is use the kindle for iphone app.Unless the text is clearer on the iPad than it is on the iPhone this will not be a Kindle killer.

The readablity of the Kindle far outstrips the iPhone. Staring at a iPhone reading a book is an eye-killer. Plus the Kindle is half the cost of the basic iPad.

If the iPad ever incorporates the e-ink technology then it would be a Kindle killer.

Resipsa
01-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Sorry Vic...I didn't it was not safe for work...that skit is from 2007 I think.
No problem bro. Just wanted to get a warning out there

Resipsa
01-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Unless the text is clearer on the iPad than it is on the iPhone this will not be a Kindle killer.

The readablity of the Kindle far outstrips the iPhone. Staring at a iPhone reading a book is an eye-killer. Plus the Kindle is half the cost of the basic iPad.

If the iPad ever incorporates the e-ink technology then it would be a Kindle killer.
Actually, the kindle dx is the same price, which would be the closest match in screen size.

We can agree to disagree, no problem there. One trick ponies very rarely last for long once alternatives hit the street in the tech world. The fact that e ink is a little easier on the eyes isn't going to mean much when dedicated ebook readers are monochrome, very slow to
refresh, incapable of doing video based on poor refesh rates, can't run other apps, etc.

I want some kind of tablet that handles all of my needs, both business and personal. Could wind up being the Ipad, could be one of the Android or Windows tablets that are going to appear soon

The requirement for me is that it be a tablet, and the screen be at least in the 10 inch range, preferablly a little bigger. Not interested in a netbook, smartbook, laptop or anything else, for work related reasons it needs to be a tablet, and preferably, needs to do more than just show me a book.
If it's not e ink that's a tradeoff I'm very willing to make, and most people are going to feel the same way.

Wanger
01-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Unless the text is clearer on the iPad than it is on the iPhone this will not be a Kindle killer.

Wouldn't the size difference indicate that it would be easier to see/clearer on one of these than an iPhone?

Mugen910
01-28-2010, 09:31 AM
I want some kind of tablet that handles all of my needs, both business and personal. Could wind up being the Ipad, could be one of the Android or Windows tablets that are going to appear soon

An Android Tablet....now that would peak my interest...free apps..and prob less restrictions.

I've always loved the tablet idea but the key is the apps and the perfect tablet size...

Resipsa
01-28-2010, 09:43 AM
An Android Tablet....now that would peak my interest...free apps..and prob less restrictions.

I've always loved the tablet idea but the key is the apps and the perfect tablet size...

They're coming......

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/08/msi-shows-off-10-inch-android-tablet-running-new-tegra-chipset/

Doctorossi
01-28-2010, 09:48 AM

I'd rather pay a couple bucks each for my choice from a couple hundred-thousand apps than have my fill of a few hundred free crappy ones.

fishstix
01-28-2010, 10:01 AM
personally my take on this is that this may actually compete in the laptop margin.

I mean I bought my laptop due to space constraints along with ease of carrying while mobile. I can have a computing machine with decent graphics that plays all my games and operates all my programs, however, as a media machine it works great but size is still a major factor here.

If Apple can actually pull this off where I can get a media machine (plays movies and music decently) backed with the "basic" functions my laptop performs (i.e. minimalsitic web browsing, e-mail) and fits it in an easy to use yet compact enough size then why not?

I own a 1st gen touch and have no reason to get rid of it (due to its size), but one cannot overlook the funcionality that this thing might be able to perform and the different niche's that this thing can fill.

Is it a media machine = yes - is it an IPOD = no (due to size).
Is it a full blown laptop = heck no, will it perform the DAILY needs I use my laptop for = yes, and then some.

As far as a kindle killer, we'll have to see what happens. hardcore kindle users have their strong likes for the product. if Apple (or an associated open source program) can design a reader for it that can produce the "softness" that the kindle delivers for e-books texts they'll definately do well.

I wont be lining up to buy one but will definately look into it. heck I'll probably wait until vajacases decides to make a full blown protective case for them before I pick one up.

Either way, I like the concept for what I can do with it vs the other devices I currently own.

Calexan
01-28-2010, 10:04 AM
G4 was claiming that the 10hr claim was while it was connected to 802.11n and watching video in 720p format.... Dont know much else, thats just what they were saying.

I think no multitasking is a disaster.

King James
01-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Multitasking is an update away. The no camera is a bummer, but not a deal breaker for me. The accessory to plug into a full keyboard is sweet, but I'd never use that since I have a macbook. The thing looks sweet, and I think it will kill the kindle and nook. Apple's OS is amazing and there is no way a nook or kindle can compete when the iPad will probably be a better stand-alone ebook reader, and then when you add all the apps and internet ..... there is no match.

I will probably wait for the next generation one before I consider getting one.... I think it is cool, but don't have much of a reason for one right now. I would want a bigger HDD, too

Mugen910
01-28-2010, 10:42 AM
I'd rather pay a couple bucks each for my choice from a couple hundred-thousand apps than have my fill of a few hundred free crappy ones.

I concur..if there is an app worth paying for I'd then pay for it..but it's nice to have the options of free apps.

jkim05
01-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I want one. Just because. I already have an Iphone, Ipod nano, a netbook, two desktops, a laptop, etc., but I really wanted to get an Itouch just for the heck of it. Now I could get this instead, though I will wait probably for the 2nd gen or at least more reviews before I buy.

Resipsa
01-28-2010, 11:13 AM
. I would want a bigger HDD, tooJim, Apple is selling a camera kit that lets you plug into the dock connecter, use a SD card and transfer pictures and videos. Don't know what that means, and don't know if you'll be able to just carry a bunch of music and movies on an SD card and transfer ( or maybe even play them directly from the card). If that's so, the size of the flash storage may be a non issue.

Thrak
01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I want one. Just because. I already have an Iphone, Ipod nano, a netbook, two desktops, a laptop, etc., but I really wanted to get an Itouch just for the heck of it. Now I could get this instead, though I will wait probably for the 2nd gen or at least more reviews before I buy.

so what you're saying is, dont look to you for an objective review... :r

JE3146
01-28-2010, 12:38 PM
G4 was claiming that the 10hr claim was while it was connected to 802.11n and watching video in 720p format.... Dont know much else, thats just what they were saying.

I think no multitasking is a disaster.

Connected and sending data are two different animals entirely.

JE3146
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
This is cooler!

King James
01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Jim, Apple is selling a camera kit that lets you plug into the dock connecter, use a SD card and transfer pictures and videos. Don't know what that means, and don't know if you'll be able to just carry a bunch of music and movies on an SD card and transfer ( or maybe even play them directly from the card). If that's so, the size of the flash storage may be a non issue.

stop trying to talk me into one, Vic...dangit lol. It has been hard enough trying to justify why I do not and now you are knocking down all my arguements! :r

Thrak
02-01-2010, 11:10 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/ikayto2/1264649207811.jpg

http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102396&stc=1&d=1264687375

Deputy
02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
I think Apple kinda dropped the ball on this one. No camera, no projector...no real multitasking capabilities....meh

RazzBarlow
02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
I'll keep my Kindle and Blackberry and still be ahead of the game by $150 or so

CigarNut
02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I'll keep my Kindle and Blackberry and still be ahead of the game by $150 or soIt's interesting to me that all the people who think the iPad is a "Kindle Killer" have never actually used a Kindle...

I would hope to god that I would not have to be stuck with the iPad for reading a book... My eyes would be shot within a matter of days.

JE3146
02-01-2010, 02:14 PM
It's interesting to me that all the people who think the iPad is a "Kindle Killer" have never actually used a Kindle...

I would hope to god that I would not have to be stuck with the iPad for reading a book... My eyes would be shot within a matter of days.

Same reason why when I have to read IEEE documents for a class or some datasheet, that I print it off, and then read it. Waste of paper? Sure. But I have enough issues with my eyes that I don't want to add more eyestrain to the mix.

Glossy screens are not meant for reading. There's a reason E-Ink is so popular with the portable reading devices. (Besides ridiculously low power consumption :D )

King James
02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/ikayto2/1264649207811.jpg

cute list, I love all the untrue, half-true, and completely irrelevant things on it

for instance:

you can get 3G
Why would it be a phone? although skype calls are possible
multitasking is an update away
can use SD cards for expandle memory, maybe more if you unlock the ipad
why the hell would it have windows or linux? its apple
no good games? LOL
also can use USB as well
physical keyboard with the $40 accessory
handwriting and voice recognitions will be out within the first few updates
Free internet????? when is anything ever free...go sit at starbucks I guess, theres your free internet

RazzBarlow
02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
It's interesting to me that all the people who think the iPad is a "Kindle Killer" have never actually used a Kindle...

I don't view the iPad as a Kindle Killer. I LOVE my Kindle. It's one of the best devices I've ever bought! I really love how easy the screen is on my eyes and the ease of use.

pnoon
02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't view the iPad as a Kindle Killer. I LOVE my Kindle. It's one of the best devices I've ever bought! I really love how easy the screen is on my eyes and the ease of use.

:tpd:

You're a fart smeller . . . er . . . smart feller, Marshall. :D

Blueface
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
cute list, I love all the untrue, half-true, and completely irrelevant things on it

for instance:

you can get 3G
no good games? LOL
also can use USB as well
Free internet????? when is anything ever free...go sit at starbucks I guess, theres your free internet

Good analysis Jim.

RazzBarlow
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
:tpd:

You're a fart smeller . . . er . . . smart feller, Marshall. :D

Sir, are you somehow implying that I sniff my own. . .?

Thrak
02-01-2010, 05:40 PM

for instance:

you can get 3G
no good games? LOL
also can use USB as well

It was a joke... It must have hit a nerve lol...

King James
02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
It was a joke... It must have hit a nerve lol...

no, didn't think you made the list.... just pointing out that someone did and probably mostly believes it.... and I'm sure I could find plenty of people to go along with it as well

replicant_argent
02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
An interesting article I found thought provoking.
http://stevenf.tumblr.com/post/359224392/i-need-to-talk-to-you-about-computers-ive-been