PDA

View Full Version : WoW (world of warcraft)

cigarmonkel
01-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Hate to admit it, but im hooked. I logged onto my blizzard account to download warcraft 3 FT cause i had an itch for some custom maps. Low and behold they decided to give me a free week of game time on WoW... we all know thats like giving crack to an addict trying to quit. We all know what happened next, no need to go into detail as im still butt hurt about the fact im hooked again.

If there are any other WoW'ers out there, what servers are you guys?

Got an 80hunter (turkeymebiot) on anvilmar and a 70DK as my farming toon.

Don Fernando
01-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Mr.T makes world of warcraft look good

http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/mrt.jpg

:r

cigarmonkel
01-26-2010, 07:41 AM
i bet Mr. T would roll a horde toon.

DougBushBC
01-26-2010, 07:54 AM
I am unforunately a three time relapser. I have quit the game for 6 months at a time twice now, my first character started in 2004 in WoW Beta.

I have an 80 Troll Rogue on Lightning's Blade, an 80 Tauren Shaman on LB, and am now working on a 75 Draenai Warrior on Korgath.

I quit between each character. THe better half doesn't like it too much.

cigarmonkel
01-26-2010, 07:57 AM
I am unforunately a three time relapser. I have quit the game for 6 months at a time twice now, my first character started in 2004 in WoW Beta.

I have an 80 Troll Rogue on Lightning's Blade, an 80 Tauren Shaman on LB, and am now working on a 75 Draenai Warrior on Korgath.

I quit between each character. THe better half doesn't like it too much.

lol i have also quit multiple times.

First time was when my hunter was at 46 pre BC. Came back after wotlk was out got to 80 then i quit right as ToC came out and now im back.

Scothew
01-26-2010, 08:35 AM
I started in TBC with a troll hunter on firetree, got all teh way to high end game stuff.. LK came out, got burnt out by the time hunter was 77 so quit. Recently got started back on an alliance server and got a druid to 80. Me, Poe, Xcytez and Goldngt all play on blackhand.

GoldnGT
01-26-2010, 08:39 AM
I started in vanilla back in 05 i think it was. I'm was playing a horde priest on Firetree, then I took a year off when i was getting married, in dec 08.. just started back up recently about 2 months ago... playing an alliance priest on blackhand.

BFallehy
01-26-2010, 08:43 AM
I will admit to this aswell.

I started playign WoW in 2005 shortly after the launch and played for about a year or so then quit for a while. I got back into it at the start of BC with a bunch of friends. We all started new characters on a new server and leveled up together. Now I have 2 lvl 80 characters, a mage and paladin, and I don't see myself quiting anytime soon. I just have too many friends who I play with, yes real life friends. :r

chenvt
01-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Ungh never going back.. By the time I quit (before the first expansion), I had a NE rogue in 2.5/3 gear with two of those pine tree looking swords, a NE druid in full Tier 2 (tanking through the lava level just for shits and giggles), and dwarf priest in Tier 1/2 shadow gear for PvP/dps.. Oh and a 19 undead PvP twink and a 60 tauren shaman.. Ran raids nightly, and farmed inbetween. Total game clock time over the course of 1.5 years? 143 days.. Granted a lot of that was me using fishing macros at night, but still..

I saw the WoW South Park episode when it came out and a day later, put my account for sale on fleabay at a Buy it Now of $500 (estimated value was probably more around $1k) and it sold in 2 minutes.. Since then, every time I get the itch to go back, I watch that South Park episode :D

duckmanco
01-26-2010, 08:58 AM
got to admit, this is making me chuckle a bit.... you guys sound like smokers who can't seem to shake it, is the game that bad (or good depending)???

Reading this both makes me want to avoid it and start in equal parts..

BFallehy
01-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Ungh never going back.. By the time I quit (before the first expansion), I had a NE rogue in 2.5/3 gear with two of those pine tree looking swords, a NE druid in full Tier 2 (tanking through the lava level just for shits and giggles), and dwarf priest in Tier 1/2 shadow gear for PvP/dps.. Oh and a 19 undead PvP twink and a 60 tauren shaman.. Ran raids nightly, and farmed inbetween. Total game clock time over the course of 1.5 years? 143 days.. Granted a lot of that was me using fishing macros at night, but still..

I saw the WoW South Park episode when it came out and a day later, put my account for sale on fleabay at a Buy it Now of $500 (estimated value was probably more around $1k) and it sold in 2 minutes.. Since then, every time I get the itch to go back, I watch that South Park episode :D

I love that South Park episode. :tu

See I have a built in way to keep me from playing too much, and that is a girlfriend who will use threats of physical violence if I don't turn off the computer and spend time with her. :r

cigarmonkel
01-26-2010, 02:40 PM
you all are a bunch of R-TARDS!

white_s2k
01-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Always been interested in the game, but refuse to let myself play in fear of getting hooked. I already play MW2 enough... This would be overkill! :D

mariogolbee
01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I have an addictive personality so I won't touch this game. I have a friend who would leave his security post unattended while nobody was there in the middle of the night, drive 30 minutes back home where he lived with his grandmother, sneak in through his bedroom window so she wouldn't know, play WoW, and return to work before shift change. He did this nearly every work night. I think he was 30 at the time. The game has consumed him so badly that he calls and associates with nobody.

By the way. He moved back to his grandmother's because his addiction to the game defeated the relationship with his girlfriend of 6 years with whom he lived.

I don't touch this game. I know I'd love it too much.

DougBushBC
01-27-2010, 03:31 AM
First time was when my hunter was at 46 pre BC. Came back after wotlk was out got to 80 then i quit right as ToC came out and now im back.

Basically the same quit timeline as me. I quit immediately pre-BC with mostly 2.5/3 gear on my rogue, was one of the early raiders in 40Naxx. Came back 2 weeks before LK came out, powerleveled the shaman in 2 weeks to 70, and then blasted to 80 to start raiding (a few server firsts, world top50 Glory of the Raider/Immortal). Quit after taking down Yogg Saron very early in progression. Just rejoined a few weeks ago, leveling my Warrior is a blast.

cigarmonkel
01-27-2010, 08:06 AM
thats what i should roll next.. a shammy!

chenvt
01-27-2010, 04:52 PM
thats what i should roll next.. a shammy!

paladins ftw.. nothing says loving like pre-nerf bubbles!

PeteSB75
01-28-2010, 07:37 AM
I've been clean for about 18 months now. It is an addiction, and I decided there were other things I preferred to do with my life than stare at a computer screen. So now I stare at a TV screen :r

Gargoyle
01-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Been addicted many times. I'm Horde on Burning Legion (pvp) and catch grief from my wife every time I log on. She doesn't get it that you can't just step away from the computer at a moments notice when you are in an instance run or have a bunch of evil Allies lurking nearby. :(

My character names are Graycliff, Fuente, Padron, Oliva, Tatuaje, Partagas, Perdomo, Macanudo and Fonseca.

Sounds like I suffer from multiple addictions.

cigarmonkel
01-28-2010, 08:11 AM
i think pally tanks are way to OP right now...pre ICC i ran with a pally tank who pulled 6.5k dps on patch.. as a tank... in a 10man.. wtf? also one of THE BEST tanks i've ever run with. as a hunter my feign death button is literally a life saver.. didn't use it once that run.

BFallehy
02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Well it happend this weekend, I got my account hacked. :su

Man does that suck, but now I know and I can take precautions to not let that happen again. Oh and you want to know the realy F'up part, they attached an authenticator to the account after hacking it.

Well I have regained access to my account yesterday after sitting on hold with Blizzard for over an hour. Now I am waiting for the in game GM's to help me get my stuff back. Atleast they didn't completly stip my main and I will still be able to raid with my guild on wed night.

Just felt like venting, I am sure this has happend to other people, hell I know atleast 3 other people in RL that have had the same thing happen. Just thought I would vent here about it. :tf

adampc22
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
wow :td eve for the win lol :tu

fishstix
02-02-2010, 12:32 PM
It's funny seeing someone give a thumbs up/thumbs down for any of these crack based games. I have friends that are (still) everquest\evercrack feinds.

i held out on all the others but WOW got me as well. Played straight through from just after Beta until about 2 months ago. All alliance but was an alt junkie with 4 80's, 2 70+'s and some bank toons.

I basically got tired of all the grinding and raiding hardcore for the really good gear, only to have it replaced within a week of basic dungeon runs in an expansion. I do miss the Ony,MC,NAxx guild runs every Friday night though. up side is that I dropped about 15% body fat and can actually face the sunshine on a weekend.

goalie204
09-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Just found this thread :) - I played wow right after beta, then i quit, then i came back and progressed through MC, BWL, AQ40, then i got banned, then i came back, progressed through Hyjal, TK, BT, Sunwell, then i quit for about 2 years. Started up about 3 months ago, and it's a lot more casual now and i like that. I just transferred to Burning Blade [H] to play with a friend of mine, and i have an 80 mage that i will likely be renaming Cohiba today, because i like it better than goalie, lentil, perogy or any of the other names i have reserved :) Although i am fond of Lentil and Cornmeal lol

Darrell
09-28-2010, 08:56 AM
I would play WoW, but I like having women in my life. :D

Whee
09-28-2010, 09:28 AM

Leave us nerds alone...:r

mariogolbee
09-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Leave us nerds alone...:r
I bet you say that to all the girls.;)

benedic08
09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Played wow before on Azjol-Nerub. 80 Hunter and 80 DK... Had to quit for school.... It was a good choice...

Whee
09-28-2010, 09:40 AM
I bet you say that to all the girls.;)
:su

Oh, I'm going to go all protractor on your butt now...:r

pnoon
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
So which magazine do you subscribe to? ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Whee
09-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Posted via Mobile Device
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/IllinoisHoosier/smilies/drum.gif

Darrell
09-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Whichever your daughter is the centerfold for that month. :r

pnoon
09-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Whichever your daughter is the centerfold for that month. :r
Not funny.
Let's keep the banter between you and me. If you bring my family into this, it will not end well. Trust me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darrell
09-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Not funny.
Let's keep the banter between you and me. If you bring my family into this, it will not end well. Trust me.
Posted via Mobile Device

I apologize, I didn't realize you actually had a daughter.

Eleven
09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
My wife put up with me playing UO, then DAoC for 10 years. I never did play WoW, but I did try Warhammer Online for about a minute before dumping it.

My youngest kid now plays DAoC freeservers, but we haven't had a subscription to any MMORPG for over a year.

I still miss the good old days of both games that I played, but as I have found out, you cannot go home again.

goalie204
09-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I played EQ, eq2, Lineus (or whatever it was called), AoC, some other crappy ones, they all suck compared to wow, and now that its casual and i dont play 97 hours a week, it's much better, just another activity just like enjoying a cigar :)

loki
09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
anyone want to buy an account with a lvl 80 dk and assorted other toons?

goalie204
09-28-2010, 12:13 PM
how much gold is on it? and how muhc you looking to get

loki
09-28-2010, 12:55 PM
how much gold is on it? and how muhc you looking to get

no idea how much gold is on it, I haven't touched it in 6 months. As for what I want for it, just a reasonable price, I don't know what the going rate on such things is

Bill86
09-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I sold my account, that game is the devil
4 Level 80's (pally, druid, shaman, warrior)
37K gold
bunch of random toons

for like $200....The gold alone was worth double....but yeah...the game requires too much time.

goalie204
09-28-2010, 02:16 PM
I sold my account, that game is the devil
4 Level 80's (pally, druid, shaman, warrior)
37K gold
bunch of random toons

for like $200....The gold alone was worth double....but yeah...the game requires too much time.

40k gold goes for around 150-160 bux :P

but it only requires as much time as someone is willing to put in.

I used to play 30+ hours a week when i was into it a lot, now i barely play, it makes it so when i do i have fun :)

Gargoyle
09-28-2010, 02:45 PM
I haven't been on a while... total life suck. I keep wanting to go back, but I know it is a very bad move.

goalie204
09-29-2010, 07:40 AM
I believe and am living proof that those that say its a life suck, addictive, etc etc - it's your personality, not just the game.

Darrell
09-29-2010, 09:12 AM
I believe and am living proof that those that say its a life suck, addictive, etc etc - it's your personality, not just the game.

Golf clap?

gvarsity
09-29-2010, 10:40 AM

It is also very clearly not just personality but also the game. While it is undoubtedly true that it is a combination of personality and the game, there is also no doubt that the business model and game design of most MMORPG intentionally exploits any compulsive tendencies of a user. The games in fact actively train compulsive behavior in users as a necessary skill set for success in the game environment.

I personally know of a number of instances of gaming being a significant factor in divorce. There have been a number of documented suicides and deaths related to compulsive playing of video games.

That said most people can find an ability to balance their lives with MMORPG just as most consumers of alcohol can find balance between life and alcohol. Just as alcohol there are many gamers who's behavior while not technically addictive can still be seriously self destructive or damaging.

My point is the game is not benign and the people trying to walk away should be supported. Just in this casual thread the number of posts indicating a difficulty to walk away when there is a desire to do so is indicative that this is a real problem.

Unless you are running a business selling stuff in the real world and making money off a MMORPG you walk away with nothing from extended playing of these games. That is unless the people with whom you make relationships with walk away with you which is not typically the case.

Currently video game addiction is being considered for inclusion in the APA Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) which is the medically recognized American standard of mental health disorders.

I suspect that at some point in the future MMORPG companies are going to face similar legal challenges that the cigarette industry faced about deliberately making their product more addictive and hiding this fact from consumers.

For full disclosure I have played video games and online video games since the mid 80's (from a terminal on a mainframe) including muds and MMORPGS. I have never been more than peripherally involved and at my peak maybe spent 10-15 hours a week barring the occasional marathon session. I am also interested and have been involved with 3D animation and game design as hobby related to my education and work for more than ten years.

I loved the comment about watching the South Park episode and giving it up. Brilliant.

I'm not anti game or gamer. That said I recommend that people trust their instincts and if feel like you should walk away, do so. If you have trouble you should get some help from family, friends or a trained professional. You will be happier and have more money for cigars.

goalie204
09-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I understand what you're saying, and i'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but those that just purely blame the game - I don't agree with that. It's ones own prerogative if they want to play or not play, and how much/how often. If a game causes one to lose their wife..or children...or home...i don't want to sound like a jerk, but i think that is pretty pathetic, because I think one has to look at themselves first and ask how did this happen, rather than just blame the game. Just like alcohol is there for any to indulge occasionally, habitually or additively, so is a video game.

As for one what gains from a video game in real life, I think that's subjective. If you don't enjoy it...and it feels like a job that you _have_ to do, well that is sad. But if you have fun, then good for you!

Tredegar
09-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I play wow. I have several toons on Azuremyst a L80 mage and a L80 pally with several others in the build stage. I play a bit but it doesn't interfere with my marriage since I play when my wife is at work. I used to play UO, when it was popular, DAOC, for a month, Earth and Beyond and Eve-Online. Eve-Online is far the more superior of any of the games out there but my wife HATES the game.

gvarsity
09-29-2010, 03:30 PM
I understand what you're saying, and i'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but those that just purely blame the game - I don't agree with that. It's ones own prerogative if they want to play or not play, and how much/how often. If a game causes one to lose their wife..or children...or home...i don't want to sound like a jerk, but i think that is pretty pathetic, because I think one has to look at themselves first and ask how did this happen, rather than just blame the game. Just like alcohol is there for any to indulge occasionally, habitually or additively, so is a video game.

As for one what gains from a video game in real life, I think that's subjective. If you don't enjoy it...and it feels like a job that you _have_ to do, well that is sad. But if you have fun, then good for you!

Generally I would consider fleeting entertainment to be a relatively insubstantial gain. Particularly considering the return on investment on the number of hours we are talking about when considering anyone who showing addictive behavior. You walk away from a MMORPG you literally have nothing tangible beyond anything virtual thing you might be able to sell on ebay.

I never said JUST blame the game but the design of the games itself is part of the problem. Meaning it is not just some moral or character weakness of character of the person with a problem. It could very well be a genetic component of brain chemistry or some combination of chemistry and psychological development that makes someone prone toward this kind of addiction. We don't know.

MMORPG companies deliberately build the game to be hard to leave for most people which is how they maintain their subscription base.
It is clear is that the developers know that this business model puts a certain percentage of their players/customers at risk for serious harm from compulsive behavior related to their product. It is a small number probably less than one percent but when you have millions of customers that is still a sizable number of people. (Granted they won't ever admit it for liability reason but it is inconceivable they don't know that this is an issue.)

You said "It's ones own prerogative if they want to play or not play, and how much/how often." When you are talking about addiction that is not a true statement. It becomes a compulsion and in the early stages it is very hard to distinguish from just being a hard core gamer, drinker or whatever. With something seemingly benign like a game it is very easy to miss the indications of a problem until it is to late to make a simple choice. Early on this is true they choose to play but they very well may have no reason to believe addiction is a realistic possibility until well after it is to late for them to have the capacity to make a rational decision to stop.

There is data to indicate that interactive visual stimulus like video games can rewire neural pathways in the brain. That isn't a choice that is a physiological issue.

Hippi3Slay3r
09-29-2010, 03:56 PM
I play on Sat mornings from 8am-11am, one day a week is all I need. I think the most I ever played was 10ish hours a week when the game first came out and I felt like a crack head for doing it. Heres my toon in all her fat cow tanking glory ... http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kirin+Tor&cn=Mutez

I play for fun because its fun to play
If it ever becomes a chore ill quit :tu

~ Kyle

gvarsity
09-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I play on Sat mornings from 8am-11am, one day a week is all I need. I think the most I ever played was 10ish hours a week when the game first came out and I felt like a crack head for doing it. Heres my toon in all her fat cow tanking glory ... http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kirin+Tor&cn=Mutez

~ Kyle

Cool.

BTW I apologize to everyone for threadjacking.

DougBushBC
09-30-2010, 04:33 AM

~ Kyle

I have no idea how you gear up that well from 3 hours a week. When I was playing I had 3 toons with top tier gear, but it was a 15-20 hour a week additcion, first in college and then during the slow summer months after college. Then I quit.

Hippi3Slay3r
09-30-2010, 05:02 AM
I have no idea how you gear up that well from 3 hours a week. When I was playing I had 3 toons with top tier gear, but it was a 15-20 hour a week additcion, first in college and then during the slow summer months after college. Then I quit.

Allmost everyone I run with works third shifts and if they had a choice they would be playing much more but due to scedule changes I lucked out and picked up some very skilled players along the way. The most time we ever spent learning a fight was a full 3hours on Prof. P other then that we steamrolled the place :tu

goalie204
09-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Generally I would consider fleeting

You said "It's ones own prerogative if they want to play or not play, and how much/how often." When you are talking about addiction that is not a true statement. It becomes a compulsion and in the early stages it is very hard to distinguish from just being a hard core gamer, drinker or whatever. With something seemingly benign like a game it is very easy to miss the indications of a problem until it is to late to make a simple choice. Early on this is true they choose to play but they very well may have no reason to believe addiction is a realistic possibility until well after it is to late for them to have the capacity to make a rational decision to stop.

There is data to indicate that interactive visual stimulus like video games can rewire neural pathways in the brain. That isn't a choice that is a physiological issue.

I have an addictive personality and i've overcome many addictions in my life. I believe that if someone has strong convictions they can overcome any obstacle, especially in the case of a video game that is addictive.

my toon, wtb more 277 Ilvlz: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Burning+Blade&cn=goalie

Apoco
09-30-2010, 09:03 AM
I raided for 2 years at 9 hours a week. Plus farming outside of that to get ready for the raids at probably 10-15 hours a week. I have quit, though. Working full time and studying for the CPA meant I had to quit :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Redlegsmoker
01-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I played when I was laid off for 6 months, damn near cost me my marriage. I have a 85 mage and a 64 shadow priest. I play very little now given work, wife, and now remodeling my home.
Dave

GI_Odie
02-23-2012, 06:33 AM
I admit, I like playing and it burns up some time if I let it. I mainly use it while on the road for work to burn time after hours, keeps me out of other trouble. I played last deployment, but unfortunately do not have the bandwidth this time...it is great on deployments when you can, makes the year fly by.