PDA

View Full Version : Pre-cutting Cigar Question

druturn
01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Hey fellas I have a quick question. First, the situation:
I am making a 4 day travel to London via flight(Ryanair to be exact). I plan on bringing a few cigars because I can't quite afford some of the ridiculously over-priced cigars in London. I can not bring my cutter due to only being able to bring a carry-on bag. I will be storing the cigars in a small 5-cigar travel humidor.
Here are the questions:
Should I cut the cigars the day of my trip then stick them back in the humi until smoke time, or should I buy a cheapo cutter there and cut when the time comes? Does cutting a cigar several days in advance of smoking drastically effect the draw, burn, or humidity level?

Thanks!

md4958
01-24-2010, 02:27 PM
cigar cutters are permitted under TSA regulations. If you wanna be safe, purchase a cheapo cutter here and bring it with you. Ive never had an issue bringing a cutter.

WyGuy
01-24-2010, 02:28 PM
You should be fine with a cutter in a carry-on-bag. I've never had any problems at least in a domestic flight, not sure why an international would change anything.

chippewastud79
01-24-2010, 02:28 PM
cigar cutters are permitted under TSA regulations. If you wanna be safe, purchase a cheapo cutter here and bring it with you. Ive never had an issue bringing a cutter.

:tpd: But if you are really that worried about it, cut them before you leave. :tu

Emjaysmash
01-24-2010, 02:29 PM
:tpd: But if you are really that worried about it, cut them before you leave. :tu

:tpd:

rhmalone
01-24-2010, 02:33 PM
I was gifted a few cigars that had been pre-cut and they rested for many months by the time I got through them, and everyone smoked/tasted great. I think if you plan to smoke them all over there, you shouldn't have a problem.

Safe travels.

NCRadioMan
01-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Nothing wrong with pre-cutting. It will not affect the cigar in any way.

druturn
01-24-2010, 03:01 PM
You should be fine with a cutter in a carry-on-bag. I've never had any problems at least in a domestic flight, not sure why an international would change anything.
And I considered that, but flying with Ryanair makes me nervous about carrying on a cutter. If it was a company like Lufthansa or AA I would, but because of the well known inadequacies of Ryanair when it comes to customer service, I would rather not risk having to be without my Xikar cutter for a few weeks while I have to pay to ship it back to me from the airport.

And thanks for all the feedback so far guys!

markem
01-24-2010, 03:06 PM
And I considered that, but flying with Ryanair makes me nervous about carrying on a cutter. If it was a company like Lufthansa or AA I would, but because of the well known inadequacies of Ryanair when it comes to customer service, I would rather not risk having to be without my Xikar cutter for a few weeks while I have to pay to ship it back to me from the airport.

And thanks for all the feedback so far guys!

This confuses me a bit. Are you saying that Ryanair staffs the security checkpoint where your carryon will be screened? I've never heard of airline personnel doing that. :confused:

Or are you saying that if bounced from the security line you believe that you can hand your cutter to the people at the checkin counter (for Lufthansa or AA) and they would package and ship your package for you? Never heard of that either.

Me, I'd buy a cheap cutter at that end. When I fly international, I leave my cutter and lighter home. Never had any issues and if I'm not meeting a cigar smoker on the other end, I make sure to cut my sticks before. I should note that I always put my sticks in 5-finger bags, even for a trip to the local cigar bar.

druturn
01-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Completely disregard what I said about mailing it home, my mind isn't with me today. By that I meant that if they discovered it and wouldn't allow it, I would have to hop out of the security line, find the local post office and mail it back to my address because the airport is located about an hour from my apt. The main thing I am worried about is it being taken by security. I have no checked bag to store it in if it were to be removed and not allowed onto the flight. I just wanted to see if pre-cutting would cause damage, which apparently it does not. I will just cut them in advance, thanks guys! Mods you are free to close this one down!

icehog3
01-24-2010, 04:36 PM

'zactly. :tu

bi11fish
01-24-2010, 04:53 PM

I would cut before leaving, I had a cutter in my carryon-- no problem leaving the USA. The security checkpoints in another country do not follow TSA rules. The bottom line is they took my cutter.
;s

wayner123
01-24-2010, 05:22 PM

I have to disagree with this. To some it makes a good deal of difference: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7648&highlight=M%E9thode+Jacques+Puisais

I would say get a cheap cutter when you arrive, or go old school and bite the cap off.

WyGuy
01-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I would cut before leaving, I had a cutter in my carryon-- no problem leaving the USA. The security checkpoints in another country do not follow TSA rules. The bottom line is they took my cutter.
;s

Good point, never thought about returning to the US.

kelmac07
01-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Snag a cheap cutter...that way it TSA grabs it..you aren't out much.

paris1129
01-24-2010, 06:51 PM
I have to disagree with this. To some it makes a good deal of difference: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7648&highlight=M%E9thode+Jacques+Puisais

I would say get a cheap cutter when you arrive, or go old school and bite the cap off.

That was a very interesting thread. I am going to have to try that method.

Mark
01-24-2010, 06:57 PM
This confuses me a bit. Are you saying that Ryanair staffs the security checkpoint where your carryon will be screened? I've never heard of airline personnel doing that. :confused:

RyanAir sometimes (my experience with them has always been out of Stockholm/Skavsta, where this is the situation) has their own airport where only their planes are allowed to fly, and security there is always a nightmare and always only RyanAir employees.

druturn
01-25-2010, 12:41 AM
RyanAir sometimes (my experience with them has always been out of Stockholm/Skavsta, where this is the situation) has their own airport where only their planes are allowed to fly, and security there is always a nightmare and always only RyanAir employees.
And THAT is what scares the mess out of me.

BlackIrish
01-25-2010, 07:20 AM
I haven't had any trouble getting through security with a cutter, but I do usually bring a cheap one just in case. Another thing I bring: a cheap punch. :tu

jkim05
01-25-2010, 08:20 AM

Actually, unless he plans to light the cigar prior to cutting, it doesn't make a difference how far in advance you cut the cigar.

wayner123
01-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Actually, unless he plans to light the cigar prior to cutting, it doesn't make a difference how far in advance you cut the cigar.

We are saying the same thing. The quote was "It will not affect the cigar in any way. " If he doesn't use the puisas method in the first place of course it would make no difference. But to those who do, it affects it greatly.