PDA

View Full Version : La Traviata

RightAJ
01-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Did a quicky review today of the CAO La Traviata... Great stick!

aj

Being bored today, I wanted to get a cigar in before the NFL Playoffs and decided it was time to see what all the buzz is about over the CAO La Traviata. CAO's newest creation is named for an old Cuban brand, tries to mimic olde-world Cuban style. Lets see how it stacks up!

CAO has picked some leathery, dark, dense tobacco for this cigar, and it feels great in your hand. The pre-light on this Robusto sized stick tastes almost exactly like the sweet raisiny flavor of Redman to me, a flavor I really enjoy. After lighting, I get a nice tug on the draw and plenty of thick smoke. The flavors consist of a creamy medley of nut, sweet, and cedar notes (the cedar being a tiny bit spicy). Burn and ash start out perfect. I am enjoying the full-bodied flavors and body, but look for some more complexity. The second third explodes with coffee and earth flavors, though the flavors from the first third still stick around. Burn is razor sharp, draw is fantastic, and ash holds for over an inch before I drop it. Finishing up, I am still getting alot of coffee flavors though with some wood and spice and some sweet molasses. I rarely compare sticks to each other, but this reminds me of a VSG in body, construction and some of the flavors- though at a Casa Magna like price. A bit more complexity and this would be perfect.

I really enjoyed all hour and fifteen minutes of the La Traviata, it is a high quality product. The flavors were robust and tasty, and the construction was top notch. I would gladly give this a 90 rating, and will definitely be smoking more of these soon.

BeerAdvocate
01-24-2010, 02:18 PM
These are a great stick for the price. I just wish I could find them!

jerseystepup
01-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Over the last 6 months or so ive been loosing taste for alot of NC's and smoked pretty much all CC's.. however when i lit up one of these i LOVED it... and at an excellant price point! thanks for the review

SouthernSmoke
01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I haven't lit any of the ones I've got resting but I might just have to, now

If you're having some trouble finding them, a B&M near me has quite an extensive collection. PM me and I'd be more than happy to send a few for you to try

68TriShield
01-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I tried one of these recently.It was a beautiful looking and well constructed cigar.
That was about it for me though,not worth the ten dollar price tag for a basically tasteless cigar :2

Smokin Gator
01-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the nice review!!

BeerAdvocate
01-24-2010, 03:57 PM
I tried one of these recently.It was a beautiful looking and well constructed cigar.
That was about it for me though,not worth the ten dollar price tag for a basically tasteless cigar :2

Where did you spend $10 on this cigar, NY?
They should be around $5!

jerseystepup
01-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Not even... im about 20 miles out from midtown manhattan and my local B&M has the toro size for about 5.25

Cigary
01-24-2010, 05:09 PM

TampaHumidor has them in the $5-$6 range with free shipping.

68TriShield
01-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Where did you spend $10 on this cigar, NY?
They should be around $5!

9.90 I think.In Maryland.
I still wouldn't smoke it at five dollars.Not enough flavor or strength for me.
Not to say,it doesn't sound like a hit for the company :tu

kelmac07
01-24-2010, 06:56 PM
I was very impressed with this stick. :tu

Ratters
01-24-2010, 07:41 PM

Oh man, I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't care for this stick. :ss

Nice review though. :tu

Salvelinus
01-25-2010, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the review on this one.

smokin5
03-23-2010, 09:45 PM
I tried my first one today, also a Robusto.
Reminded me a lot of a fresh Padron 2000.
Spicy start, cocoa aftertaste, but a bit more woodiness in the finish after the halfway mark than a Padron.
Good burn, draw was fine.
Just think I'd rather have the Padron 2000 instead (shrug).

Ken
01-04-2011, 08:31 AM
I ran over to Party Source in Newport (ky) and was handed one of these by a gent in the humidor. He asked if I had one and told him I was looking for something to get me through the 2hr drive home and the Traviata was the call. I'm not too sure about the claim of 'full' but I liked the cigar. It had nice smoke and flavor and kept me interested on the drive.

I think I'll have another and then decide if I want to invest in a box. A thumbs up for 1st impressions.