PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever have this kind of trouble?

McSmokey
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Just wondering if anybody on here ever got stopped for being on the "list"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/nyregion/14watchlist.html?no_interstitial

Blueface
01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
So reassuring how efficient they are.:rolleyes:

CigarNut
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Not on the list (AFIK) but one time my boarding pass had the infamous "SSSS" on it and I got detained at security for about 45 minutes while I and my luggage were searched very thoroughly.

I asked at the time and the "SSSS" indicate that you have been selected for a random search.

I have flown since then with out a problem.

icehog3
01-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Apparently someone with the same name as I had some troubles years ago in Central and South America, so I had some interrogation time the last two times I went to Nassau.

The last time I went to Mexico, had a friend from Customs meet me at the plane, and skirted right through....with a bottle of Havana Club rum in my hand. :r

mikeandshellie2
01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Right after 911 the kids and I had to fly back to Germany where we were stationed at the time. For some odd reason each time we were to get on the flight my youngest who was one at the time was always having to be searched because for some reason he was flagged. I thought nothing of it at the time because there was 4 of us at the time flying and I figured the odds were against us for being flagged.

aich75013
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Since 9/11 I have been "Randomly Selected." About once a year that I have flown.
I've been patted down several times at the airport and have had to stand in that puffer machine that blows air checking for traces of explosives.

On one flight, there was a businessman that made a comment to a teenager that was pulled aside. He said "son, why do you have your shoes off?" and laughed. The TSA pulled him out of line immediately and made him go through the extra security as well. :r He wasn't laughing anymore.

VirtualSmitty
01-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Yep. I always get the special treatment :td

Tombstone
01-14-2010, 01:16 PM
So reassuring how efficient they are.:rolleyes:

Our government couldn't manage a bowel movement.

G G
01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
I have had to take my shoes off everytime since 9-11.

JE3146
01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I lost faith in Homeland security when I was able to walk through airport security with an insulin pump undetected.

IE, a small computer containing a vial of liquid that can be time dispersed.

Yea ok.. doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how that could be used for evil intent.

Funny thing though. Every time I go through security, I have vials of medicine, syringes, you name it. Not to mention I carry my laptop typically, as well as an SLR camera, lenses, and as of recent.. also cigars.

Never once had a problem outside of a mishap about 4 years back where the travel agency we went through sold a ticket to a 'do not fly' person and homeland security couldn't figure out which one of the people out of all the tickets sold it was. So they simply refused to board anyone in that group... which consisted of say... 20 or so people heading to Hawaii that day. :rolleyes: Glad to see they've gotten their act together :r

Footbag
01-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Not on that list, but I am on the lose this guys luggage list.

Silound
01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
You think any of that's bad? Try going through a smaller airport wearing steel-toe safety shoes.

Holy hell, I missed my flight and had to wait in the airport till the next morning (no free hotel for me they said) because they wanted to tear apart a $400 pair of safety shoes (custom fitted with steel shanks and kevlar/steel woven uppers) that pegged the metal detector and I wouldn't let them unless they gave me $400 in cash right then and there to replace them.

I forsee travel by train taking a serious footing over the next 20 years simply because it's cheaper than flying and personal automobile. There's a good reason why a large percentage of Europe is interconnected with rail lines for travel.

Sauer Grapes
01-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I got selected for the "random" screening 3 times in a row. My wife and I both got SSSS to and from Tampa once. Random my ass.

Haven't had it since, and that consists of about 30 flights. I'm sure next time I'll get it after writing this... Shhh, they're watching. :r

MichaelJ
01-14-2010, 03:50 PM
About 4 years ago I was flying alone, one way ticket that was purchased the day before and only a carry on.....I wasn't shocked when I was invited to participate in some extra screening. I probably would have been more surprised if it didn't send up a red flag.

JE3146
01-14-2010, 04:00 PM
About 4 years ago I was flying alone, one way ticket that was purchased the day before and only a carry on.....I wasn't shocked when I was invited to participate in some extra screening. I probably would have been more surprised if it didn't send up a red flag.

:r the more I thought about it.. that did seem suspicious :D

T.G
01-14-2010, 04:02 PM
You think any of that's bad? Try going through a smaller airport wearing steel-toe safety shoes.

Holy hell, I missed my flight and had to wait in the airport till the next morning (no free hotel for me they said) because they wanted to tear apart a $400 pair of safety shoes (custom fitted with steel shanks and kevlar/steel woven uppers) that pegged the metal detector and I wouldn't let them unless they gave me $400 in cash right then and there to replace them.

If only the security screeners had some kind of device at hand that they could use to see through objects...

rlmedic
01-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Lucky me with the name Ryan Lewis...apparently I am an IRA terrorist and used to get stopped all the time...even when I worked with/for homeland security.