PDA

View Full Version : How to better seal a cabinet...?

DBall
01-13-2010, 12:41 PM
I have this:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_HMTVCL3b49c/SVGhVdVhNuI/AAAAAAAABPI/uHaul_jOk_U/s800/DSCN7925.JPG

I'd love to make it seal better (as this time of year it fluctuates wildly). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

:tu

bobarian
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Dan, PM Ratters. I know he did some work on his tower and redid the seals. I dont know what product he used. I know he is using a combination of beads and Moist-N-Aire to maintain Rh. But our humidity is more stable out here.

T.G
01-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Not knowing where or if the cabinet is leaking, or is just breathing too much...

Generally speaking:

-Check door seals, adjust hinges, re-weatherstrip, add magnets to hold door shut evenly if necessary (drill shallow depth hole in door & frame, epoxy in two rare earth magnets).
-Seal any power outlets or cutouts with vinyl weather stripping or caulking
-Caulk/weatherstrip around the glass to wood contact points to seal.
-Check back panel mounting to body of humidor tower, sometimes these are very cheaply done and leak like sieves.
-Reseal back panel with spray varnish/urethane, again, sometime manufacturers cut corners on back panel material quality, thickness and coatings.
-ditto above for underside of bottom panel.

I also know some BOTLs who have had success in minimizing swings by running two smaller active humidifiers, like a pair of standard humi-care/hydras rather than one large active humidifier in their towers - one toward the upper 1/3, one in the lower 1/3. Some have also added beads or gel-jars in the drawers.

Blueface
01-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Dan,
I noticed you said "as this time of year it fluctuates".
Does it fluctuate in the Spring and Summer?
If not, then you are victim to what use to happen to me in the NJ winters. Impossible to maintain a stable humidity as would always drop on me in the winter.

My Aristocrat uses a foam seal that you may be able to buy locally and replace yourself if that is an issue for you.

Footbag
01-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Are you sure it's not just the low humidity? Mine seems to be running all of the time in the less humid months. I have to fill it every two weeks as opposed to once every two months in the summer.

If you're sure it's leaking, you have to find out where. I have a similar humidor, and a gasket near the outlet might help, but besides that, the door is perfectly strait and seems to make a tight seal.