PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a new printer

Darrell
01-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I am looking for a new printer for my computers. Something good, with reasonably inexpensive and easy to find print cartridges.

If you have any recommendations, please share.

pnoon
01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
If color isn't a requirement, there are some decent B&W laser printers out there for a reasonable amount of money.

Darrell
01-05-2010, 11:25 AM
If color isn't a requirement, there are some decent B&W laser printers out there for a reasonable amount of money.

I don't know that color is necessarily a requirement, but it's probably a good option to have since I won't be the only one using it.

pnoon
01-05-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't remember the model # (printer is at home) but I picked up an HP B&W laser printer for $199. I'm a low-volume print user so it was perfect for me. I hate hassling with ink cartridges.

elderboy02
01-05-2010, 11:28 AM
If you don't mind not having color, this is a good basic laser printer: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0276161

Like stinky, I hate messing with color cartridges.

Darrell
01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
If you don't mind not having color, this is a good basic laser printer: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0276161

Like stinky, I hate messing with color cartridges.

Wow. I like this one and I just checked on replacement cartridges, $33 for a 1500 page cartridge. That's an amazing deal. F color, this would be a way better investment.

T.G
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm not a fan of inkjets in anything smaller than stuff like 48" wide plotters.

I've always found that while the initial outlay for the printer is higher, the per-page cost for laser is significantly lower. Part of this is artificial though as companies like HP and Lexmark sell their inkjet printers at a very low margin, or even a loss sometimes because the ink businuess is so profitable.

Also, if you aren't a frequent printer, you don't have to worry about toner drying out or nozzles plugging/gumming up. If you are a frequent printer, you can go broke paying for ink.

Oh, and laser doesn't run when it gets moist. Additionally, for text, laser looks far, far more professional.

Of course, if you're looking for photo quality printing, one of those in a laser is going to cost you a few grand at least.

Lastly, I don't know if they are still offering it, but I recall that last year, Staples was offering a $50 (I think it was $50) credit towards a new printer if you brought in your old printer. Not sure what the conditions were beyond that - like if it had to be an MFC or a certain price minimum, certain vendors only, etc...
(I have old printers on the shelf if the deal is still on and you need one)

JaKaacH
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I have one like this.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/supmodel/product/CC210A
New in the box. Yours for $50.00

bobarian
01-05-2010, 11:57 AM
An inexpensive B/W laser is your best bet. If you need color or school work for presentations just drop the file on a thumb drive and take it to Staples or Office Depot for printing.

kydsid
01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
I love this thread. Great minds think alike. So happy to see laser's given their due. I guess we all had one too many inkjets go tits up. :tu

OP if you do want color I have a HP Laser CP1215- you can find them for about $150 new. I believe I originally bought it because it or its similar model cousin recieved a consumer reports best buy.

mosesbotbol
01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
As un-green as it might be. Buy the cheapest name brand printer out there for like $50-60 and toss it when it breaks or runs out of ink. Decide whether replacing the ink or buying a new printer is a better deal. Unless you get the office quality printers, they are usually crap that can't be fixed or have really expensive ink.

mosesbotbol
01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
An inexpensive B/W laser is your best bet. If you need color or school work for presentations just drop the file on a thumb drive and take it to Staples or Office Depot for printing.

:tpd:

PeteSB75
01-05-2010, 01:35 PM

That's what I do. I have one similar to this (http://www.staples.com/Brother-HL-2170W-Laser-Printer/product_714526?cmArea=SC3:CG44:DP1606:CL142045). Mine is about three years old. Ex-girlfriend of mine ran through my first toner cartridge over the course of a semester in law school. I'm on my second cartridge, and expect it to last another three years.

Tripp
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
a another vote for laser, though I don't have one anymore. If you can afford it, I'd say get a laser for text, and then a dedicated photo printer if you really need to print pictures... we use a Canon Selphy for photos.

aich75013
01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I have had good luck with HP for my printers.
I had a Samsung Color Laser Printer and after 2 sets of toner (a lot of which was wasted. It even had a waste container you had to empty) it needed several other parts replaced. Imaging unit, etc. Was cheaper to buy something else. I bought it because it did duplex printing.
Two years ago, I bought a HP 3500n and have had much better printing. and there is no waste container. I believe the imaging units are part of the Toner cartridges on HPs. It cost me about $600, but the wife wanted color for her and the kids. Plus I like the networking option since we have 4 computers in the house. My default is B&W. Otherwise I would have bought a cheaper B&W laser printer. I've only replaced the Black toner so far. The colors will need a replacement sometime in the summer.

We have a Inkjet as well, but it only gets used as a copy machine and scanner.

My first Laser Printer was a 4L that my wife bought me in college. It ran great for years.

The CP1215 sounds like a good option if you want color capability. Just set it to B&W default and only change when you want color. As mentioned above, you don't have the gumming up issues as with Inkjet when the cartridge is not used.