PDA

View Full Version : Travel to the Dominican

Dinosaur Jr
10-27-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm going to the Dominican Republic during the holidays this year. At first I was pretty excited about the cigar options down there, but from what I've been reading the prices in DR are crazy as they must export then re-import their cigars back into the country. It also sounds like there are lots of fakes (cc's and non-cc's).

Are there a good cigar experiences to be had down there? I'm staying in Puerto Plata and I'm wondering if there might be a good factory tour or something that some of you may have experienced.

Thanks.

MikeyC
10-27-2008, 07:14 PM
I was in the Dominican about a year ago and there are PLENTY of glass top Cohibos, etc. down there. Plus, as you mentioned cigars made on the island must be exported and re-imported. So, prices on Dominican products are AWFUL.

If you're looking for CC's be careful, but there are some genuine articles to be found in a few places (I stayed at Casa De Campo BTW). No LCDH so you can't be 100% sure but I did see some items that I was 99% sure were legit although they were a few dollars more than MSRP.

As for Dominican products . . . honestly the most fair prices I found were at the duty free in the airport on the way out. The prices other places were more than what I pay at home.

Anthem
10-27-2008, 07:19 PM
I think what you've heard about the exporting of the DR cigars is correct. I was also warned about fakes. I saw some vendors selling cigars and IMO, the prices were too good to be true, so I passed.

I did visit a small factory in Punta Cana (Domenico Cigars). The tour was good and the prices reasonable. I was able to try a cigar and then was able to buy different cigars (different sizes, wrappers, etc.) I was under the impression that they were opening a showroom in P.P. but I don't see any information on their website about this.

Enjoy your trip!!!:ss

md4958
10-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Plus, as you mentioned cigars made on the island must be exported and re-imported. So, prices on Dominican products are AWFUL.

thats one of the dumbest things ive ever heard:bh

Anthem
10-27-2008, 07:38 PM
This is from the Cigar Family website (which includes Arturo Fuente), they do have to export then re-import according to this site.

http://www.cigarfamily.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=35

Dinosaur Jr
10-27-2008, 07:47 PM
This is from the Cigar Family website (which includes Arturo Fuente), they do have to export then re-import according to this site.

http://www.cigarfamily.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=35

Thanks for the link. That sums it up well.

MTB996
10-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I thought about vacationing there myself, but the lack of Fuente factory tour (unless its by invitation) sealed the deal against it for me. I would think a factory tour of several great DR cigar factories would be the bomb if they would oblige.

Have fun down there, even if you have to bring your own.

Dinosaur Jr
10-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I did visit a small factory in Punta Cana (Cigars). The tour was good and the prices reasonable. I was able to try a cigar and then was able to buy different cigars (different sizes, wrappers, etc.) I was under the impression that they were opening a showroom in P.P. but I don't see any information on their website about this.

Enjoy your trip!!!:ss

I checked this place out and as you say they don't have any info on a showroom in PP. Thanks.

Dinosaur Jr
10-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Have fun down there, even if you have to bring your own.

Thanks! Yeah, maybe I can find a small factory for local only cigars. We'll see. I would have picked cuba, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

MikeyC
10-27-2008, 08:50 PM
thats one of the dumbest things ive ever heard:bh

Yeah. Typically you expect if you're travelling to where an item is made that it would be cheaper there but not so in this case. I saw SO much Opus X while I was down there but the prices were OUTRAGEOUS. The prices were almost as high as Casa Fuente in Vegas where I saw cigars at 3-4 times what MSRP is.