PDA

View Full Version : Odd car behaviour question

PeteSB75
01-03-2010, 04:11 PM
So, driving Sarah's 08 Civic this weekend and noticed some, to me, odd behaviour. It was snowy out, and the roads were a bit rough. So, as I was coming down a hill, I would bleed some speed off by braking lightly for a longer period of time and then coast before accelerating again to go up the next hill. From what I could tell, the car would downshift after I released the brakes and engine brake further while I was coasting.

That is the only place I experienced it, and I've never had any other automatic do that to me. I seriously disliked it - there's a reason I drive stick. So, the question is, is this normal behaviour or is something wrong with the transmission?

floydpink
01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Some newer cars have an anti-slip device for snow and it sounds like that may be it, although I thought it prevented the brakes from locking up.

In any event, an 08 is under warranty and a trip to the dealer may be good to put your mind at rest.

PeteSB75
01-03-2010, 04:36 PM
It has anti-lock brakes, and this is different. The anti-lock only apply with the brakes. This is definitely engine braking.

tobii3
01-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Traction Control.

Honda's version is called VSA.

It works with the transmission as well as the brakes, that's what you felt.

floydpink
01-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Traction Control.

Honda's version is called VSA.

That's what I meant, I swear!

My wife's Civic has a switch where you can turn it on or off and we leave it off since the only ice we get in Orlando is in our margaritas.

tobii3
01-03-2010, 04:43 PM
the only ice we get in Orlando is in our margaritas.

Yeah, I fell for THAT line back in 1989/1990.

Demented
01-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Traction Control. Honda's version is called VSA.

This is likely the answer.

From what I've seen, most problems are related to the nut holding the steering wheel. :r

floydpink
01-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I fell for THAT line back in 1989/1990.

Oh dang, you were here for the Big Freeze???

tobii3
01-03-2010, 05:00 PM
That was the FIRST year I went to Florida and Disney World.

Took me 18 years to go back.

Whynot
01-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Some of the newer "smart" transmissions will downshift in anticipation of acceleration. They adapt to your driving style.

Thrak
01-04-2010, 06:36 AM
My 4Runner does it.. its as Whynot said. It actually learns how you drive.

I really like it personally.. if it knows I'm going down hill it will downshift so I dont have to brake as hard. It also will hold a gear longer if I'm accelerating uphill or towing. :)

floydpink
01-04-2010, 06:46 AM
My 4Runner does it.. its as Whynot said. It actually learns how you drive.
I really like it personally.. if it knows I'm going down hill it will downshift so I dont have to brake as hard. It also will hold a gear longer if I'm accelerating uphill or towing. :)

I gotta get my wife a 4Runner then, because I still can't figure out how she makes it home every day, the way she drives.

tobii3
01-04-2010, 06:57 AM
you too??

:r

PeteSB75
01-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Hmm, ok. I guess I'll be taking a look through the manual to try and find out how to turn the thing off for the next time I am driving her car in the snow. Or else convince her that a manual transmission is a much better option. Thanks guys!