PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this Cohiba? Cohiba 40 Aniversario 1966-2006

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Okay this is my first thread outside the welcome area so hopefully I did everything right, I think I did haha. Well I went to the store the other day with a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket. I go in the humidor and see the cohibas are on sale, so I decide to pick up a couple. I came home to research this cigar and found nothing. I also asked another member what he thinks of them and he says that he has never seen them before either. Take a look at the pictures I took and please share any information you may know about them.
Pauly
http://russianboy4.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7812861

bobarian
01-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Interesting cigar, but to my knowledge General Cigar changed over to the current Red Dot band in 1997. General is the owner of the non-Cuban version of the Cohiba made in the Domincan Republic. :2

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Interesting cigar, but to my knowledge General Cigar changed over to the current Red Dot band in 1997. General is the owner of the non-Cuban version of the Cohiba made in the Domincan Republic. :2

So did this one come from somewhere else do you think?

jerseystepup
01-02-2010, 01:59 PM
the cohiba brand from cuba has only been around since the 80's i believe

NCRadioMan
01-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Whatever they are, they are fake. The only Cohiba 40 Anny is the very limited edition Cuban Cohiba Behike. I wouldn't touch those.

wavescrashing
01-02-2010, 02:01 PM
After looking at the pics, the design doesn't match the General Cohiba logo either. This seems to be one of the lookalikes similar to the mildly popular siglo brand. Can you get a pic of the box? I also didn't find a band or stick that matched this anywhere, so there's a chance its a local roll possibly made by a former roller from Cuba paying homage?

wavescrashing
01-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Whatever they are, they are fake. The only Cohiba 40 Anny is the very limited edition Cuban Cohiba Behike. I wouldn't touch those.

Yeah, these aren't cuban, they are from a B&M in the states I believe.

Snake Hips
01-02-2010, 02:05 PM
So did this one come from somewhere else do you think?
Maybe. I've never seen such a thing as that cigar. The band looks like a lame General Cigar copy of a Cuban Aniversario Cohiba, but I'm pretty sure the General Cohibas only come in four varieties - original, Black, XV, and Puro Dominicana, and they don't use the Cuban Cohiba colors, patterns or markings, such as the yellow and black, the white squares and the gold Taino on your band.

This one has me stumped.

There was another Cohiba at one time, that used a band that looked just like the Cuban Cohiba bands, but with "Republica Dominicana" instead of "La Habana, Cuba," but those were ordered off the market a long time ago.

Snake Hips
01-02-2010, 02:07 PM
the cohiba brand from cuba has only been around since the 80's i believe
As a public brand. Cohiba was established in 1966.

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 02:14 PM

are you saying i shouldnt smoke them? because theyre already purchased and id hate to have to waste my money on some cigars i cant afford in the first place and not even smoke them lol

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 02:16 PM
After looking at the pics, the design doesn't match the General Cohiba logo either. This seems to be one of the lookalikes similar to the mildly popular siglo brand. Can you get a pic of the box? I also didn't find a band or stick that matched this anywhere, so there's a chance its a local roll possibly made by a former roller from Cuba paying homage?

Next time I go in there I'll take a picture of the box. I might go in today and ask the guy some questions just out of curiosity considering it has all of us stumped.

wavescrashing
01-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Jare you saying i shouldnt smoke them? because theyre already purchased and id hate to have to waste my money on some cigars i cant afford in the first place and not even smoke them lol

Not at all. Imho, id smoke anything at least once. By fake, he meant not a real behike 40th cuban cohiba, which we both already knew. However, after smoking it, you might find that its a solid non cuban smoke.

NCRadioMan
01-02-2010, 02:18 PM
are you saying i shouldnt smoke them? because theyre already purchased and id hate to have to waste my money on some cigars i cant afford in the first place and not even smoke them lol

You can smoke them if you want, you bought them. They are probably just a run of the mill Dominican with a fancy band to fool people. I just don't like perpetuating the black market. If I saw those I would have a word with the owner or manager about it.

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 02:25 PM
J

Not at all. Imho, id smoke anything at least once. By fake, he meant not a real behike 40th cuban cohiba, which we both already knew. However, after smoking it, you might find that its a solid non cuban smoke.

You can smoke them if you want, you bought them. They are probably just a run of the mill Dominican with a fancy band to fool people. I just don't like perpetuating the black market. If I saw those I would have a word with the owner or manager about it.

Yea Ill give it a try to see what its all about. and I think I will have a talk with the owner to see what he has to say about em and get back to you guys.

hotreds
01-02-2010, 02:54 PM
It's interesting they don't have an "Hecho en xxx" location on the band. Makes me wonder, too. Most Cuban fakes would have the fact that they are from Cuba somewhere on the band, like real ones. Most non Cubans also have a provenance listed on the band. So, very odd, indeed!

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 03:01 PM
6 rows of dots would be the first thing that would make me say "huh"...

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
It's interesting they don't have an "Hecho en xxx" location on the band. Makes me wonder, too. Most Cuban fakes would have the fact that they are from Cuba somewhere on the band, like real ones. Most non Cubans also have a provenance listed on the band. So, very odd, indeed!

With all this confusion I'm really curious so I'll go over there right now and have a word with this guy. I'll post when I get back.

T.G
01-02-2010, 03:06 PM

There used to be a third entity using the Cohiba name. A Dominican company by the name of Montikristi (or something very similar IIRC), they had bands that were basically identical to the current Cohiba bands except I think that that they were either blank on the bottom yellow field or said "Republica Dominica" - I can't remember which it's been so long since I've seen one. The wooden boxes had a clearly pressed/burned in Dominican Republic in script on the front. If memory serves, they weren't supposed to be exported off of the island.

I haven't seen or heard of them in years, so I wonder if this is from them.

T.G
01-02-2010, 03:09 PM
There was another Cohiba at one time, that used a band that looked just like the Cuban Cohiba bands, but with "Republica Dominicana" instead of "La Habana, Cuba," but those were ordered off the market a long time ago.

Whoops, missed this part of your post on the first read.

That was my thought, that they might have been from them (Montikristi or whatever their name was). I never followed what happened to the company, so I didn't know that they were ordered off the market.

SkinsFanLarry
01-02-2010, 03:11 PM
The only Cuban Cohiba 40th Anniversary cigar is indeed the Behike which measures 7 1/2 x 52 and is extremely expensive so I'm pretty sure that if this cigar is being sold as a genuine Cuban, it's fake. The Behike band also does not look anything like that and instead, is the traditional Cohiba band with an additional white and gold band underneath it that reads "Behike" and has a limited edition number below that.

Does the band on your cigar indicate that the cigar is Cuban? If yes, it's a fake Cuban cigar. If not, it may be a non-Cuban cigar produced strictly to cash in on Cohiba's 40th anniversary.

SmokinApe
01-02-2010, 03:20 PM
How much did they cost?

SkinsFanLarry
01-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Tyler and Tim, this is the one that us FOG's (Fine Older Gentelman) still remember....before General threatened to sue them or put them out of business!

http://www.socialcigar.com/video/dominican-cohiba-is-it-fake

wayner123
01-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Tyler and Tim, this is the one that us FOG's (Fine Older Gentelman) still remember....before General threatened to sue them or put them out of business!

A local B&M has boxes and boxes of those cigars. They even come in glass tops.

As to the OP, I am sorry I have never seen those before.

T.G
01-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Yup, those are the Montikristi's...

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 03:47 PM
How much did they cost?

They were $13.50 on "sale"

Just got back and got the pictures. There were different varieties, the one pictured then a different box said Siglo VII and I forgot what the other ones said but it was similar. The guy essentially said "you've never seen the band because it's the 40th anniversary, and that this is indiana noone would dare." whatever that means. Take a look at the new pictures of the box i just posted here:

NCRadioMan
01-02-2010, 03:51 PM
They were $13.50 on "sale"

Just got back and got the pictures. There were different varieties, the one pictured then a different box said Siglo VII and I forgot what the other ones said but it was similar. The guy essentially said "you've never seen the band because it's the 40th anniversary, and that this is indiana noone would dare." whatever that means. Take a look at the new pictures of the box i just posted here:

He's ripping people off, imo.

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 03:55 PM
He's ripping people off, imo.

Ohh that kinda hurts, but ill smoke em to see if they are truly a ripoff.

NCRadioMan
01-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Ohh that kinda hurts, but ill smoke em to see if they are truly a ripoff.

No worries. We have all paid too much for a cigar that we liked or didn't like. :D

And like I said before, I don't like perpetuating fakes and the black market.

mariogolbee
01-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I've had two of these in different vitola's. The first I think was a Churchill and was excellent. It had volumes of creamy smoke and was very chocolaty and sweet yet strong. It lasted over two hours before I put it out because it was getting to be a bit too much for me. I think the second was a corona gorda or double corona and sucked arse. I suffered through a third of it and remembered some of Bobarian's previous advice and let it die on a stirrup of my Stinky. If I could find the first vitola, and it was consistent, I would not hesitate to purchase a box of them. Problem is that the B&M I got it from ran out of that Vitola.

Try it out. Good luck. I hope you have the same experience as with the first one I smoked.

P.S. The local B&M I got them from had said that there were the two companies which had fought over the trademark as others have previously posted and this seems to be the Co. that lost.

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Valuable advice, I'll do that. Hope it turns out similaarly. i just wonder who actually made these things.

mariogolbee
01-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Valuable advice, I'll do that. Hope it turns out similaarly. i just wonder who actually made these things.

I was trying to find that out as well to no avail. If I can get the same experience as before then I would like more of them. I also paid $13.50 for each of them which for what I got in the first stick is very reasonable for even a smaller size let alone over two hours of smokey goodness. LMK if you find out more.

bobarian
01-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Paul, These may indeed turn out to be decent cigars. From the box pictures they are not purporting to be Cuban Cohibas as it clearly states their country of origin. Whether the price is excessive, only you can decide. Out here in California where we pay $10 and up for a Fuente Short Story, $13.50 is not a crazy price for a cigar. I think its interesting to see smokes like this, its amazing the stuff that is out there. :2

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I was trying to find that out as well to no avail. If I can get the same experience as before then I would like more of them. I also paid $13.50 for each of them which for what I got in the first stick is very reasonable for even a smaller size let alone over two hours of smokey goodness. LMK if you find out more.

If this one is good like the one you had ill let you know. and if they ran out of em at your B&M i could ship ya some.

Paul, These may indeed turn out to be decent cigars. From the box pictures they are not purporting to be Cuban Cohibas as it clearly states their country of origin. Whether the price is excessive, only you can decide. Out here in California where we pay $10 and up for a Fuente Short Story, $13.50 is not a crazy price for a cigar. I think its interesting to see smokes like this, its amazing the stuff that is out there. :2

Thats a good way of looking at it, Ill probably smoke one tonight and post how it was. It is cool stumbling upon a unique cigar that doesnt claim to be Cuban.

Tuxguy
01-02-2010, 04:46 PM
wow, the box even has a "Habano" (Red/Yellow)style banner wrapper that looks to say DR

NCRadioMan
01-02-2010, 04:47 PM
It is cool stumbling upon a unique cigar that doesnt claim to be Cuban.
Yet uses a trademark and likeness exclusive to the Cuban cigar that many novice cigar smokers recognize. That makes them fake. I can attest to the fact that it doesn't matter if it says it's Dominican on the box, people do not read. Therefore, are suckered into thinking they are getting a Cuban Cohiba. And the strange, cryptic response from the the guy you asked doesn't help.

I am a hardliner when it comes to these things. :su :D

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 04:51 PM
wow, the box even has a "Habano" (Red/Yellow)style banner wrapper that looks to say DR

hang on im gonna go look at the sticky with all the lingo abbreviations on it and ill be right back!
EDIT hmm it wasnt there, probably because its so obvious i should know it..

Yet uses a trademark and likeness exclusive to the Cuban cigar that many novice cigar smokers recognize. That makes them fake. I can attest to the fact that it doesn't matter if it says it's Dominican on the box, people do not read. Therefore, are suckered into thinking they are getting a Cuban Cohiba. And the strange, cryptic response from the the guy you asked doesn't help.

yea his response was virtually useless, i just took my pictures and walked outta the joint lol

T.G
01-02-2010, 05:03 PM

hang on im gonna go look at the sticky with all the lingo abbreviations on it and ill be right back!
EDIT hmm it wasnt there, probably because its so obvious i should know it..

Tuxguy is talking about the Habanos box seal:
http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/info-packaging.htm#BoxSeal

DR = Dominican Republic

The box you snapped a photo of has a Habanos DOP styled box seal that appears to read "Dominican Repulic".

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Tuxguy is talking about the Habanos box seal:
http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/info-packaging.htm#BoxSeal

DR = Dominican Republic

The box you snapped a photo of has a Habanos DOP styled box seal that appears to read "Dominican Repulic".

:tpd: now just pretend that arrow is pointed at me... :D wow common sense haha

bobarian
01-02-2010, 05:35 PM

As you well know Cuban trademarks are not recognized in the United States. In the most recent case a Federal District judge has ruled for a second time in favor of Cubatobacco. But his original almost identical ruling was overturned on appeal. The appellate court ruled that due to the embargo a Cuban company could not own property in the US and that a trademark was property.

The company producing the "Cohiba" in question is most likely not even General Tobacco, but a small producer just trying to make a buck.

Anyone thinking they are buying a genuine Cuban Cohiba in a US B&M deserves whatever they get.

What about the other Cuban cigar names that are used by General or Altadis? Punch, Partagas, El Rey Del Mundo and others were originally owned by individuals in Cuba. Many left after the revolution because their property had been taken by the Cuban government.

I dont see this as a black and white issue, both sides have some legitimacy to their claims. :2

jerseystepup
01-02-2010, 05:55 PM
NOWHERE on the boxes, nor on the sticks is the word "cohiba" anywhere... yes the symbol is there... but look at the "fleur de lis" its everywhere in the cigar world.. so theyre just using the symbol... other than that the cigar is not claiming to be a cohiba... sketchy marketing in my opinion... but again no where does this stick claim to be from cuba or say cohiba

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
As you well know Cuban trademarks are not recognized in the United States. In the most recent case a Federal District judge has ruled for a second time in favor of Cubatobacco. But his original almost identical ruling was overturned on appeal. The appellate court ruled that due to the embargo a Cuban company could not own property in the US and that a trademark was property.

The company producing the "Cohiba" in question is most likely not even General Tobacco, but a small producer just trying to make a buck.

Anyone thinking they are buying a genuine Cuban Cohiba in a US B&M deserves whatever they get.

What about the other Cuban cigar names that are used by General or Altadis? Punch, Partagas, El Rey Del Mundo and others were originally owned by individuals in Cuba. Many left after the revolution because their property had been taken by the Cuban government.

I dont see this as a black and white issue, both sides have some legitimacy to their claims. :2

I didnt think that I was buying a Cuban cigar, I did think that it was a real Cohiba though, but not from Cuba.

NOWHERE on the boxes, nor on the sticks is the word "cohiba" anywhere... yes the symbol is there... but look at the "fleur de lis" its everywhere in the cigar world.. so theyre just using the symbol... other than that the cigar is not claiming to be a cohiba... sketchy marketing in my opinion... but again no where does this stick claim to be from cuba or say cohiba

He isnt trying to sell them as Cuban, but he did make a sign using Cohibas name so he is trying to use the name. I think he truly believes they are Cohiba. noone else seems to think so.

mariogolbee
01-02-2010, 07:13 PM
From what I was told the company did use the name Cohiba but stopped after the trademark dispute. I think what I was told was that they are now using the name Gran Reserva or something like it. I think that was also on all of the boxes on at the B&M where I got them from. And I know that Cohiba in Cuba makes a Gran Reserva for the record.

md4958
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM

The authentic 35th anniversary Cohiba band. Notice the 6 rows of dots
http://www.shojikido.com/cgi-local/mt/archives/shojikido/1124_cohiba35th_julieta2.jpg

googling "Cohiba 40th anniversary" yields this image
http://www.aficionado.org.uk/img/LogoCohiba40Aniv.png

Just because they are labeled as Dominican, and dont say "Cohiba" on them dosesnt make them "non-fake"

mariogolbee
01-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Just because they are labeled as Dominican, and dont say "Cohiba" on them dosesnt make them "non-fake"

If there are more like the first one I smoked then who really cares if they're fake?

md4958
01-02-2010, 08:11 PM
If there are more like the first one I smoked then who really cares if they're fake?

So would you be happy with a fake Rolex that you paid a premium for just because it told time properly?

It might be a good cigar, but the intent to deceive is there, and I would really care if they were fake.

SmokinApe
01-02-2010, 08:30 PM
So would you be happy with a fake Rolex that you paid a premium for just because it told time properly?

It might be a good cigar, but the intent to deceive is there, and I would really care if they were fake.

For the record I agree with Kool Moe D... I wouldn't buy or smoke these...

TheRiddick
01-02-2010, 08:35 PM
As a public brand. Cohiba was established in 1966.

Huh? A particular blend was made for Castro to smoke and give out as gifts after the revolution, lancero sans label since they had no name back then. But as an actual brand? '80s is right.

md4958
01-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Huh? A particular blend was made for Castro to smoke and give out as gifts after the revolution, lancero sans label since they had no name back then. But as an actual brand? '80s is right.

from cuban cigar website:

A Current Brand
Cohiba is a post-revolution brand established in 1966.
It is the Habanos SA flagship brand, has a major market share and is sold at a premium price.
The tobacco is the best available from the premium Vuelta Abajo region. The Seco & Ligro filler leaf is given an exclusive third fermentation.
Three cigars were initially released in 1969, later becoming part of the Classic range introduced in 1989.
The Siglo range was introduced in 1992 but not commercially available in early 1994.
The Maduro range was introduced in 2007.
http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=Cohiba

ScottieM
01-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I think they were made to deceive unwitting customers and any Cigar Merchant that knows a lick about cigars knows that. If your willing to shell out $13 a pop for something pretending to be something else then enjoy. Otherwise, Move along.

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 08:45 PM
I think they were made to deceive unwitting customers and any Cigar Merchant that knows a lick about cigars knows that. If your willing to shell out $13 a pop for something pretending to be something else then enjoy. Otherwise, Move along.
It was a mistake... but maybe they'll be enjoyable at the very least so i won't feel as bad about supporting a fake cigar.

For the record I agree with Kool Moe D... I wouldn't buy or smoke these...

If you had it, you'd smoke it cmon now :ss

SmokinApe
01-02-2010, 08:48 PM

Lol... I hope you enjoy them my friend...

md4958
01-02-2010, 08:50 PM
It was a mistake... but maybe they'll be enjoyable at the very least so i won't feel as bad about supporting a fake cigar.

Paul, perhaps you will have an experience like Mario and love the cigar. If thats the case (and I truly hope it is) smoke what you like. :tu

Fortunately places like Cigar Asylum exist to educate and inform. :l

Bubba - NJ
01-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Thats what I was thinking as I read every post in this thread . They don't say Cohiba anywhere . These are just as bad as the 3 Siglos line IMHOP . Every time I see a cigar like this in a shop , I stay far away .

ScottieM
01-02-2010, 08:52 PM

I'll bet they're not all that bad. Probably a decent Handmade Bundle Quality stick that would keep someone coming back for more. I wouldn't worry about it. We've all been there, Live and learn.

Thanks for sharing with us!:ss

havanajohn
01-02-2010, 08:59 PM

Actually 1982 was when Cohibas became available to the general public...

icehog3
01-02-2010, 09:01 PM

:tpd: and Moe ain't stupid.

I don't think he would...I know I would not, let's say I had a bad experience with a fake Cohiba. ;)

I do hope they are good cigars for you though, you'll have to do a review. :)

SmokinApe
01-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I'll bet they're not all that bad. Probably a decent Handmade Bundle Quality stick that would keep someone coming back for more. I wouldn't worry about it. We've all been there, Live and learn.

Thanks for sharing with us!:ss

$13.50 x 25 = $337.50

That is some cash money for a bundle... They best come with a happy ending...

SmokinApe
01-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Actually 1982 was when Cohibas became available to the general public...

Moe ain't part of the general public...

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 09:10 PM
The authentic 35th anniversary Cohiba band. Notice the 6 rows of dots
http://www.shojikido.com/cgi-local/mt/archives/shojikido/1124_cohiba35th_julieta2.jpg

googling "Cohiba 40th anniversary" yields this image
http://www.aficionado.org.uk/img/LogoCohiba40Aniv.png

noted, i am owned!!

SmokinApe
01-02-2010, 09:14 PM
noted, i am owned!!

Put your elbows on the table...

TheRiddick
01-02-2010, 09:17 PM
from cuban cigar website:

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=Cohiba

Why don't you find some info that is 10-15 years old by now. As the saying goes, Winners re-write history. Same way French wineries tell you they have been using French oak for barrels for centuries (absolute BS). Get your hands on some books published a while ago, you'll see that Cohiba as a brand did not exist in the '60s, simply some Lanceroes rolled specifically for Castro and his Foreign Service offices to be given out as gifts. No labels, no name back then.

If you want to believe their latest marketing BS, no issue on my end. Ain't internet great?

Anyway, carry on. I have no dog in this fight.

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Put your elbows on the table...

and shadow my face.

ScottieM
01-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh and Pauly, Here's a tip for you along the same subject:

If you ever come across Pinar Cigars, Run away as fast as you can! A big load of BS. Probably bigger then the Cohiba's you bought. Read the link below.

http://www.nationalcigar.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

md4958
01-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Get your hands on some books published a while ago, you'll see that Cohiba as a brand did not exist in the '60s, simply some Lanceroes rolled specifically for Castro and his Foreign Service offices to be given out as gifts. No labels, no name back then.

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/images/Cohiba_band_1541757797full.jpg
Standard Band A-1969

so basically youre saying that your older books dont contain information that is now available to everybody? your outdated source MUST be correct, how stupid of all of us :rolleyes:

SmokinApe
01-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Moe 1 Riddick 0

md4958
01-02-2010, 09:28 PM
oh look, a band from the '70s:
http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/images/Cohiba_band_1175802142full.jpg
Standard Band B 1970-1993

It must be fake. All that damn Cubatabaco propaganda!! :rolleyes:

nayslayer
01-02-2010, 09:31 PM
damm, one person asking for help ends up to be a ball bustin session..ah sat night..thats right

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Oh and Pauly, Here's a tip for you along the same subject:

If you ever come across Pinar Cigars, Run away as fast as you can! A big load of BS. Probably bigger then the Cohiba's you bought. Read the link below.

http://www.nationalcigar.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

Thanks alot for the heads up, I'll keep my eyes open. A

And as far as a review goes for this, I was gonna do one tonight but considering its like -5 out there and windy, I think the bastad can wait till tomorrow. even though it probably wont improve, at least Ill be able to see what im doin.

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 09:40 PM
damm, one person asking for help ends up to be a ball bustin session..ah sat night..thats right

Ball busting is a good thing, we are men. But seriously, no one should take offense to some good ole "joshing around". If you are offendied, i apologize on anyone's behalf.

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Ball busting is a good thing, we are men. But seriously, no one should take offense to some good ole "joshing around". If you are offendied, i apologize on anyone's behalf.

Not at all, bust away lol.

Starscream
01-02-2010, 09:45 PM

We gotta get some entertainment on a Saturday night somehow...:D

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 09:47 PM
We gotta get some entertainment on a Saturday night somehow...:D

Riggt, so strip down and show us some moves andy!!! BUST-A-MOVE!!

Pilon
01-02-2010, 09:48 PM
a local rinky dink shop has them for sale for $6 a pop. Would not put it past them if they were fake. Smoked one and smokes nothing like a Cohiba.

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 09:52 PM
a local rinky dink shop has them for sale for $6 a pop. Would not put it past them if they were fake. Smoked one and smokes nothing like a Cohiba.

buy one and post some pics, i will paipal you for the smoke just to take pics!!! I think it will be cool to see!

icehog3
01-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Riggt, so strip down and show us some moves andy!!! BUST-A-MOVE!!

I want some of what you are smoking....unless it's a Gurkha. ;)

Starscream
01-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Whatever it is, Blake bought it for him with his pre-paid credit card.;)

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 09:56 PM

A hybrid Gurkha@@!!!

Just kidding, i dont touch that stuff. Just having a great night! Hung out with some awesome BOTL's. Its amazing how these pople can throw some positive influence/vibes into your life by being supportive. I've been dealing with some family crap lately. what a great group of guys!

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Whatever it is, Blake bought it for him with his pre-paid credit card.;)

RIGHT, he flaked!!!

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
buy one and post some pics, i will paipal you for the smoke just to take pics!!! I think it will be cool to see!

Do you just want to see others that are out there or what?

Pilon
01-02-2010, 10:03 PM

I've been sick for a week straight. Once the taste buds are up to par I might snag one and give it a go again.

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 10:03 PM
i want to see the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!!

md4958
01-02-2010, 10:05 PM

You cant handle the truth!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DJe3vpipo5g/ScpXveOVbrI/AAAAAAAACGM/hAJ-lsI83E8/s400/you-cant-handle-the-truth-full;init_.jpg

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 10:05 PM

lol then take a look at the first page. ill do a review and take pictures of it burning tomorrow. thatll be $6. Lol jk :r

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 10:10 PM
lol then take a look at the first page. ill do a review and take pictures of it burning tomorrow. thatll be $6. Lol jk :r

whatever you need brother! Im psyched to see!

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 10:15 PM
whatever you need brother! Im psyched to see!

I'll have it all done for ya tomorrow. Free of charge of course ahaaha. Ill PM ya when its done.

s15driftking
01-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Awesome bro, thanks!!!

cort
01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey Pauly Walnuts......You're a bad @ss n00b:banger

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Awesome bro, thanks!!!

not a problem :ss

Hey Pauly Walnuts......You're a bad @ss n00b:banger

Hahaha why, thank you. :su :tu

mariogolbee
01-02-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't want to sit here tapping the tiny keys of my netbook all night so I'm just gonna sit back from here on out and enjoy watching this. I will say two things before I go though.

These aren't fakes, they're DR's that have been debranded after production to the best of my knowledge. If these are fakes then so are many of the NC's many of smoke such as RyJ, Partagas, Punch, Brickhouse, etc.

And Pualy, smoke what ever you want man. As I said before, I had two of these and one was great. The other sucked. If I can duplicate the first one then I'd rather pay $13.50 for it at the B&M than 14.00 for a LFD half the size.

Night inmates...

icehog3
01-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't want to sit here tapping the tiny keys of my netbook all night .

C'mon, Mario, I do it all the time...it's a riot! :)

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't want to sit here tapping the tiny keys of my netbook all night so I'm just gonna sit back from here on out and enjoy watching this. I will say two things before I go though.

These aren't fakes, they're DR's that have been debranded after production to the best of my knowledge. If these are fakes then so are many of the NC's many of smoke such as RyJ, Partagas, Punch, Brickhouse, etc.

And Pualy, smoke what ever you want man. As I said before, I had two of these and one was great. The other sucked. If I can duplicate the first one then I'd rather pay $13.50 for it at the B&M than 14.00 for a LFD half the size.

Night inmates...

Wise words, but i doubt you'll get some of 'em to budge off their theory. nite!

cort
01-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I love drama just check my WTS thread:tu (shameless plug)

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 10:51 PM

I will in about 9 posts :ss

mariogolbee
01-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Wise words, but i doubt you'll get some of 'em to budge off their theory. nite!

Thanks.

:r I might have to mosey on down there El Jacko Cort.

C'mon, Mario, I do it all the time...it's a riot! :)

Maybe I'll play with this thing a bit more at your request Tom. I'm not used to it because I just got it recently and I usually have my desktop. Desktop is in for repairs though.:(

icehog3
01-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Maybe I'll play with this thing a bit more at your request Tom. I'm not used to it because I just got it recently and I usually have my desktop. Desktop is in for repairs though.:(

Glad to have you whenever you can be here, Mario. :)

bobarian
01-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Apparently no one owns an MRN. The band first band pictured was not used in commercial production. The second band is also a picture from Trevor's site, but I can find to evidence to show that this band was commercially used before 1982. Cohiba was introduced to the international market at the Ritz Hotel in Madrid in 1982 in conjunction with the World Cup. At that time Avelino Lara was in charge of production at the El Laguito factory.

Prior to 1982, Cohiba banded cigars were only given as diplomatic gifts. A few others may have escaped the island but they were not available to the general public. Three sizes were made and presented in special engraved chests, the Laguito #1(lancero), corona especiales and panatela. It is generally believed that the lanceros were only personally given by Castro himself.

Sometimes its best to dig a little deeper than the first site that comes up on Google. :2

mariogolbee
01-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Glad to have you whenever you can be here, Mario. :)

Thanks Tom! (Says Mario from his tiny, yet mighty, netbook...:D)

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks Tom! (Says Mario from his tiny, yet mighty, netbook...:D)

I can't handle those netbooks for very long, my fingers are just too darn big.

cort
01-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Fakes!!!!!!!!;)

Pauly Walnuts
01-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Fakes!!!!!!!!;)

Hahahaha theres one now!

Pauly Walnuts
01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Okay guys, posted a review under teh Cohiba section, check it out.

icehog3
01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Okay guys, posted a review under teh Cohiba section, check it out.

Moved to the "Other Islands" section as it was agreed from the box pics that this cigar is not purported to be Cuban.

SmokinApe
01-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Moved to the "Other Islands" section as it was agreed from the box pics that this cigar is not purported to be Cuban.

LOL

Snake Hips
01-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Weird. Couple days after this thread started I just saw some of these at a local B&M today. They were next to an array of other cigars definitely (and shamelessly) imitating Habanos.

These other cigars were all unbanded, and were in individual little containers labeled like so:

"Cuba's Famous Brands
Comparable to:
Bolivar Royal Corona"

There were "PSP2"s, "CORO"s and a few others. Nothing else about them, except for "Made in the Caribbean" and "Similar in color, size and construction to Cubans" lol.

Anybody seen these?

@bobarian
Of course everything you said is true, but that wasn't what I or the others were saying. I was merely saying Cohibas have been made since 1966, which they have. The branding and public introduction don't have anything to do with it. Hence when the actual Cohiba 40th Aniversario (the Behike) was released.

TheRiddick
01-04-2010, 06:01 PM
@bobarian
Of course everything you said is true, but that wasn't what I or the others were saying. I was merely saying Cohibas have been made since 1966, which they have. The branding and public introduction don't have anything to do with it. Hence when the actual Cohiba 40th Aniversario (the Behike) was released.

So, if a car manufacturer makes a prototype that becomes an actual for sale model 20 years later, they can claim it has been produced since the beginning? Like I said, if you, or ANYONE ELSE, CUBA INCLUDED, can show me a PRODUCTION box, labels and all, prior to '80s, I will be the first one to admit they were made since 1966. One size, a Lancero, made per someone's personal request and given out as personal gifts, does not make a production cigar last time I checked. See Steve Saka and his Liga Privada (or whatever it is called) cigar line, should Drew Estates now claim the cigar has been in production since Steve smoked the first one?

History has been re-written before, plenty a time, too bad so few have regard for it.

Let's make it easy, SHOW me a Cohiba box with date stamp prior to '80s.

(JOKE):
A husband walks in on his wife in bed with a neighbor. His wife: Who are you going to believe, your loving wife or your lying eyes?

Very on theme for the topic, IMO.

Blueface
01-04-2010, 06:21 PM
(JOKE):
A husband walks in on his wife in bed with a neighbor. His wife: Who are you going to believe, your loving wife or your lying eyes?

Joke:
A couple goes to see a marriage counselor.
The counselor has brought his son to work today to see what he does for a living.
The counselor says he wishes to speak to the husband and wife, one at a time.
The counselor brings in the wife first. The son observes the dad question the wife about their relationship. She says, my husband is a bum. A loser. A lousy husband.
The counselor says, you are right.
Next, the counselor brings in the husband. The son observes the dad question the husband about their relationship. He says, my wife is a bum. A loser. A lousy wife.
The counselor says, you are right.

The son is bewildered. He says, dad, the wife said awful things about the husband and you said she was right. The husband then said awful things about the wife and you said he was right. Dad, they both can't be right.

The counselor says to the son, you are right.

This too is very on theme for the way this topic has evolved.
Sort of like are we talking about the chicken or the egg.:D

Snake Hips
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
So, if a car manufacturer makes a prototype that becomes an actual for sale model 20 years later, they can claim it has been produced since the beginning? Like I said, if you, or ANYONE ELSE, CUBA INCLUDED, can show me a PRODUCTION box, labels and all, prior to '80s, I will be the first one to admit they were made since 1966. One size, a Lancero, made per someone's personal request and given out as personal gifts, does not make a production cigar last time I checked. See Steve Saka and his Liga Privada (or whatever it is called) cigar line, should Drew Estates now claim the cigar has been in production since Steve smoked the first one?

History has been re-written before, plenty a time, too bad so few have regard for it.

(JOKE):

Annnnd you still miss the point. Deliberately, it seems, so I don't feel like going there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I have news on this "Cohiba" for those interested. I asked my local B&M about this cigar which I saw at a different B&M, and he didn't know what to say for a minute. Then it struck him I guess, and he told me that it's Altadis' Siglo line. Apparently they re-branded and re-blended it, changing the band to this 40th Aniversario band and putting it in cabinets.

Blueface
01-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Annnnd you still miss the point. Deliberately, it seems, so I don't feel like going there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I have news on this "Cohiba" for those interested. I asked my local B&M about this cigar which I saw at a different B&M, and he didn't know what to say for a minute. Then it struck him I guess, and he told me that it's Altadis' Siglo line. Apparently they re-branded and re-blended it, changing the band to this 40th Aniversario band and putting it in cabinets.

OK,
Thanks.

But............
If Yugo's were made at five a year in Yugoslavia from 1970-1980, then in 1980 they go into full production for the US (thank God we got a chance to see that marvel of engineering on our roads), were they actually in production from 1970 or were they only in production from 1980, when they became available to the American market?:r

:bx

bobarian
01-06-2010, 03:34 PM

WTF? They rebranded and repackaged a line that was released in 2009 and backdated the labels to 2006. :confused:

Whipper Snapper
01-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Well this thread is interesting.

Blueface
01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Well this thread is interesting.

Can you help out with the Yugo's?

I say they were in production since 1970 as were Cohibas in the 60's.:D

Snake Hips
01-06-2010, 07:03 PM
WTF? They rebranded and repackaged a line that was released in 2009 and backdated the labels to 2006. :confused:
Apparently. Who the Hell knows what goes on/what's going on in their boardrooms.

Jokermann
01-07-2010, 07:59 AM

Boxes from Cuba did not have box codes until 1984/85.

Arguing that Cohibas from the 1960s/70s were not production cigars is absurd! These cigars were PRODUCED as diplomatic gifts. Just because they were not available to the general population, does not mean they were not production cigars. They were made in the same factory as many other cigars, and clearly were not prototypes or anything like that. Since these early Cohibas were produced in massive quantities, they are 100% a production cigar, and the dates of the brands beginning are valid.

While I dont have a picture of a box from that time frame, here is a picture of a 1970 Cohiba Lancero. (bad cell phone pic, sorry)

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/jokermann1/1970.jpg

The notable difference between this cigar and the Lanceros released in the 80s was the band was a little different. The yellow area at the bottom was smaller and has a different yellow color (more of a bright yellow, than the 80s dull yellow). I dont know for sure, but I think they changed the band just a little to let the "insiders" tell the difference between the cigars produced for diplomatic gifts, and the cigars for the rest of us.

md4958
01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Jason 1 The Riddick 0

Blueface
01-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Jason 1 The Riddick 0

Not true.

He failed to show the box. No box, no score.:r