PDA

View Full Version : Secret smoking room!

Vigiles
12-31-2009, 03:44 PM
So, I moved into my condo back in september, and hadn't done any smoking at home since I moved in. I was outside on my little patio/balcony/deck thing, in the 30 degree weather smoking a RP 1961 (my first one, very good btw) when I happened to open my outside storage closet.

As I gazed upon this small closet, I thought to myself "Self, this would make an excellent winter smoking room!" It has a small electric wall heater to keep the water pipes in that room from freezing, and there is just enough room to get a chair and maybe a small table.

Does anyone know if smoking a cigar near a water heater is bad? I need to investigate this, but I don't think there would be any ill-effects in that regard.

Looks like its going to be a good winter folks!

(pics to follow possibly, I was actually going to take pictures and do a review on the RP1961, but alas I couldn't find my camera!)

Thanks for reading, I just had to share this (and my excitement) with folks who would understand!

pmwz
12-31-2009, 03:48 PM
post a picture of the closet. i think that you should be fine.

Skywalker
12-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Should be ok... just make sure you have some ventilation or you may die of asphyxiation!!!:2

Vigiles
12-31-2009, 03:53 PM
copy that on the asphyxiation, the door has two vent holes, and i would probably have leave the door cracked or something.

I'll try and put up some pictures tomorrow, still have to find my camera!

Happy new year everyone!

T.G
12-31-2009, 03:54 PM
I can't think of any reasons why it would be a problem to smoke around the water heater.

14holestogie
12-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Should be ok... just make sure you have some ventilation or you may die of asphyxiation!!!:2

That was my first thought as well. :D
I'm in a 3 and a half stall garage and I can get it pretty cloudy in here without the window open and the fan blowing out.

T.G
12-31-2009, 03:57 PM

I would think a fireman would probably take the asphyxiation possibility into account and take necessary precautions to prevent it.

----

EDIT

Just noticed that Vigiles already responded on the ventilation issue.

DBall
12-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Is it going to be like smoking in a bathroom? What are the dimensions?

Tripnastic
12-31-2009, 05:52 PM
It's not a gas hot water heater is it? Probably seems like a stupid question, but I'd feel bad if you blew up and I hadn't asked!

sjnovakovich
01-01-2010, 05:47 AM
It's not a gas hot water heater is it? Probably seems like a stupid question, but I'd feel bad if you blew up and I hadn't asked!

Furthermore, a gas hot water heater could possibly asphixiate you with carbon monoxide! Be careful! Since this is an outside closet, the plumber may not have been too particular about the proper installation of a chminey for the water heater.

Vigiles
01-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Ok so maybe I will need to leave the door open when I'm in there, maybe have a fan blowing out? It will still be warmer than outside...

It IS a gas water heater, however as long as the pilot lite is lit, I shouldn't have any problems as the cigar isn't going to ignite anything. (and if I did have a leak somewhere the pilot lite would more than likely ignite it before I got in there with a cigar.) You aren't supposed to store anything flammable (i.e. gasoline) near the hot water heater, but I'm pretty sure that another "flame" isn't going to hurt anything.

The room is 5'x4'.

I have a few contacts with the gas companies, so I'll investigate it a little more, but I'm pretty sure I'll be ok.

I'll post here before I go out there for my first smoke, and If I don't post again after that, well, at least you will know what happened! :ss

eber
01-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I agree with what other said about ventilation, I have a pretty big den that I smoke in with vaulted ceilings and it gets pretty smoky in there without the vent fan on

Prospector
01-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Ok so maybe I will need to leave the door open when I'm in there, maybe have a fan blowing out?

Be very careful with that. Having the fan blow out without adequate fresh air coming in will cause a negative pressure situation resulting in combustion gasses from the gas heater entering the room and exacerbating the situation.

pnoon
01-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but a 4' x 5' smoking room? Just doesn't seem worth it to me. :2

Vigiles
01-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but a 4' x 5' smoking room? Just doesn't seem worth it to me. :2

I understand your concern. I don't think its going to end up being the traditional "smoking room". Ultimately I think I'm going to end up using it more as a "stand in there for 2 minutes to warm up then go back outside" room.

Don't worry folks, I won't let anything bad happen! In the end i'm going to have to play around with things, and see what possibilities there are.

I do however, appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!

joetownhound
01-03-2010, 03:49 PM
:np

c2000
01-03-2010, 04:11 PM
u are good to go.. I would buy one of those twin window fans that you can put one on exhaust and one on ventilation and open the door enough to set the fan in and then cover the rest of the opening with a blanket.. Then tune your radio to your favorite talk show and have a ball........\\

Jerry in Minnesota.

Cyclone
01-03-2010, 04:22 PM

LOL... My 1st thought as well..