PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Humidor Questions

paris1129
12-30-2009, 05:58 AM
I recently purchased a montegue cabinet humi from tampa humidor. It is a really nice piece! I want to do this right so I can take care of all my stogies, so I have a couple of questions for the more experienced individuals with this sort of thing:

1) I purchased 70% beads to use in addition to a cigar oasis XL plus. Should I be aiming for 70% in a storage cabinet, or lower like 65,53 for which most on here seem to indicate a preference? I haven't used the beads yet, so I could still exchange them or just go buy 65% beads.

2) I am having to refill my cigar oasis every 10-14 days it seems. I know it is winter, but is this normal? I thought these should last a few months in between refills? I left it in the empty cabinet for about 2 weeks before the levels hit 69-70% steadily before I starting storing cigars in it. I hear it run about every couple of minutes for around 15-20 seconds at a time. Seems a lot to me. :confused:

3) Because I am refilling the cigar oasis so often, I am considering the use of the beads I bought, which I haven't done anything with yet. What is the best method for placing beads in a cabinet humi? Bottom shelf, middle, top? I have seen some pictures of others' humidors that have the beads in little sock like sleeves. What are these and is this better than placing them in a dish?

Barteur
12-30-2009, 06:06 AM
I recently purchased a montegue cabinet humi from tampa humidor. It is a really nice piece! I want to do this right so I can take care of all my stogies, so I have a couple of questions for the more experienced individuals with this sort of thing:

1) I purchased 70% beads to use in addition to a cigar oasis XL plus. Should I be aiming for 70% in a storage cabinet, or lower like 65,53 for which most on here seem to indicate a preference? I haven't used the beads yet, so I could still exchange them or just go buy 65% beads.

2) I am having to refill my cigar oasis every 10-14 days it seems. I know it is winter, but is this normal? I thought these should last a few months in between refills? I left it in the empty cabinet for about 2 weeks before the levels hit 69-70% steadily before I starting storing cigars in it. I hear it run about every couple of minutes for around 15-20 seconds at a time. Seems a lot to me. :confused:

3) Because I am refilling the cigar oasis so often, I am considering the use of the beads I bought, which I haven't done anything with yet. What is the best method for placing beads in a cabinet humi? Bottom shelf, middle, top? I have seen some pictures of others' humidors that have the beads in little sock like sleeves. What are these and is this better than placing them in a dish?

I have a Montegue to and I had to seal the doors and drawer and now I am filling up my Hydra once every two months (it was once a week before) btw my home is at <20% due to winter. I also thought that adding beads would help but after talking to Scott (Shilala) he made me realized that if its not sealed properly the beads would not be of any good. When everything is sealed up you will be good to go. Less time spent on your humi is more time for shopping and posting:D. I would go with the 65% beads but thats only my:2.

Hendy
12-30-2009, 06:40 AM
I purchased a system from Arlin Liss that holds 5 gallons of water. Holds my humidity ay 67.5 +1.0 / -0.0 relative humidity. Won't have to add water for a looooooooooong time. But, it was a $450 bill for the system. Best ever, but pricey.

yourchoice
12-30-2009, 07:27 AM
I have a Montegue as well and also use a mix of beads and an Oasis. During the spring/summer/fall I can go months and months without needing to refill my Oasis. During the winter (with the lower RH in the house) I fill it much more frequently...maybe every three weeks or so. I like using the combination of media as I think the Oasis kind of automatically recharges the beads.

I prefer my RH 65% or lower, but YMMV. If you end up using the 70% beads, it may help achieve acceptable RH during the winter, but it could also cause higher than desired RH during the summer (meaning 65-70 in the winter, 70, maybe 70-72 in the summer). But if you prefer 70% it should be fine.

I will have to look into sealing my humidor a little better as Eric suggested. Maybe a New Year’s weekend project. :tu

paris1129
12-30-2009, 07:56 AM
I have a Montegue to and I had to seal the doors and drawer and now I am filling up my Hydra once every two months (it was once a week before) btw my home is at <20% due to winter. I also thought that adding beads would help but after talking to Scott (Shilala) he made me realized that if its not sealed properly the beads would not be of any good. When everything is sealed up you will be good to go. Less time spent on your humi is more time for shopping and posting:D. I would go with the 65% beads but thats only my:2.

How did you seal your doors and drawer? I would be interested in doing this. It can't hurt!

How can I buy some of Scott's beads? The link in his signature takes me to a page that says I am not authorized to access!

icehog3
12-30-2009, 08:05 AM
How did you seal your doors and drawer? I would be interested in doing this. It can't hurt!

How can I buy some of Scott's beads? The link in his signature takes me to a page that says I am not authorized to access!

PM Scott. :) (shilala)

Barteur
12-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Here are some pictures and how I sealed it. I am posting this since I got a Couples of PMs.

-First you need to find foam wheater strip 1/8 inche thick more was to much for mine.
-you cut lenghts to do everywhere thats is in contact with the interior parts (IE where the cedar lining of the door touching the cedar lining inside, etc)
-You remove the tape...;)
-you stick it on the wood and youre done.
-You will need to lock the drawer and doors for a little while to keep some presure on the foam.

It took me about 1/2 hour and and that included the, go to the store to pick it up (the strip). Really easy, here are some pics. PM me if its not clear.

Good luck

Frenchie

Barteur
12-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Heres more pictures

paris1129
12-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Thank you for the pictures for us visual learners! :tu I will pick some of this up on the way home today. Hopefully Home Depot carries this!

paris1129
12-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Can you believe that neither Home Depot nor Lowes in Central Ohio carry the foam weather strip 1/8" thick? Unbelievable! I guess I will have to hunt for it online somewhere!!

Bubba - NJ
12-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Can you believe that neither Home Depot nor Lowes in Central Ohio carry the foam weather strip 1/8" thick? Unbelievable! I guess I will have to hunt for it online somewhere!!

I totally believe it ! They put all the Mom and Pop hardware stores out of business and don't carry half the the stuff . Anymore it's a crap shoot whether or not they'll have what I'm looking for , let alone someone who know's exactly where it's at .

CigarNut
12-31-2009, 08:27 AM

I totally believe it ! They put all the Mom and Pop hardware stores out of business and don't carry half the the stuff . Anymore it's a crap shoot whether or not they'll have what I'm looking for , let alone someone who know's exactly where it's at .I am surprised -- both Home Depot and Lowes in Oregon (and ACE for that matter) carry multiple sizes both foam and rubber, including the 1/8".

It seems that as cold as it gets in Ohio that they would carry the all sizes...

Barteur
12-31-2009, 08:53 AM

PM me you address I will send you some. I have extra

bigheadmark
12-31-2009, 08:59 AM
65% RH !! I will never store my cigars over that amount ever again....
they just smoke better at 65%, and the chances the cigar will taste harsh on the palate (from over humidification) is much less

paris1129
12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
PM me you address I will send you some. I have extra

PM sent! You are awesome! Thanks! :tu