PDA

View Full Version : lubricating Palio Rails?

TOB9595
10-27-2008, 02:00 PM
I have a Palio CF That is VERY tight to open and close.
I pulled it apart a few times cause it's sticking.
What do I/we use to lubricate the rails?

I know there's a bunch of lube I can try..
BUT..
Maybe someone already has run into this.
Bestest
Tom

BlackDog
10-27-2008, 02:02 PM
I'd be inclined to go with graphite. Either a soft pencil or buy some graphite dust in a tube from the hardware.

EvanS
10-27-2008, 02:05 PM
I have never lubed mine and don't really think you need to. Seems tobacco bits get in there and cause just enough trouble to bind things up a bit. Here's a couple of things to try: (1) insert a pipe cleaner into the small holes at the end of each slide rail (2) blow compressed air or tuner cleaner into those same slots.

Always works for me. Keeps your Palio dry, non-oily and fresh smelling

KenS
10-27-2008, 02:06 PM
I tried some graphite dust in mine, and didn't really notice any difference. It cuts great, but I hate that it doesn't open and close as smoothly as I would expect.

dunng
10-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Wax paper? :ss

Don Fernando
10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
EZlube :)

I would use some gun oil.

kgoings
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I have a Palio CF That is VERY tight to open and close.
I pulled it apart a few times cause it's sticking.
What do I/we use to lubricate the rails?

I know there's a bunch of lube I can try..
BUT..
Maybe someone already has run into this.
Bestest
Tom

Send it in for service...

Smokin Gator
10-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Send it in for service...

^^^^^ What he said!!

Tombstone
10-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Personally i use KY.:cb

AriesOpusX
10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
When I take mine apart to clean it I use the plastic straw nozzle on the wd-40 can to spray the rails down.

KenS
10-27-2008, 03:13 PM
When I take mine apart to clean it I use the plastic straw nozzle on the wd-40 can to spray the rails down.

It's not immediately obvious to me how to take it apart to clean it. Can you describe that process?

Hardcz
10-27-2008, 04:38 PM
It's not immediately obvious to me how to take it apart to clean it. Can you describe that process?

yes please :tpd:

TOB9595
10-27-2008, 05:06 PM

For me...there is no METHOD of taking it apart.
When I get it open most of the time it comes off the rails.
Didn't happen to my burl or black..Just the CF..

I'll give Mark a shout and see what to do.
Tom

Skywalker
10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Mine sticks too but I don't want to do anything that would ruin it!!!

Someone said they wash theirs in the dishwasher??? Does this work???

DPD6030
10-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Astroglide :r:r:r

elderboy02
10-27-2008, 06:50 PM
To get it apart, just pull the palio apart. You can slide it back on the rails when you are done. I have done this several times.

Hardcz
10-27-2008, 07:31 PM
To get it apart, just pull the palio apart. You can slide it back on the rails when you are done. I have done this several times.

NO ****!!! Look at that! Dude, I had no idea! Thanks bro! :ss

KenS
10-27-2008, 07:35 PM
NO ****!!! Look at that! Dude, I had no idea! Thanks bro! :ss

ok, is somebody trying to get me to break my Palio? Mine does not appear to just "pull apart" ... photos??

poker
10-27-2008, 07:39 PM
I would not take it apart personally.
If they were intended to be "taken apart" for cleaning, Im sure it would have been noted by now somewhere in one of the forums he frequents.

I would send it in for service. Marc will be more than happy to take care of you. Trust me.

SmokinAFuente
10-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Here you go.

Palio Care (http://www.paliocutter.com/care.htm)

If it's new and a little tight, just give it some time. It will loosen up.

elderboy02
10-27-2008, 08:30 PM
I would not take it apart personally.
If they were intended to be "taken apart" for cleaning, Im sure it would have been noted by now somewhere in one of the forums he frequents.

I would send it in for service. Marc will be more than happy to take care of you. Trust me.

I know you are concerned, but at a bachelor party, I accidentally slid the Palio too far open and the two halves separated. I just pushed them back on the tracks. I have taken it off and put it back on several times. I haven't noticed a difference in the Palio and I use it pretty much every day.

Basically, it is up to you if you want to slide it off the tracks. Like poker said, they may not be designed to do that.

AriesOpusX
10-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I just give mine a good tug and it comes right apart. Been doing it forever.

Waynegro1
10-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Here you go.

:tpd: I agree. Mine was a little "tight" when I first received it. After I used it for a while it "loosened" up. Now it's smooth as silk.
I'd be a little apprehensive pulling it apart. I'm not positive, but this may negate your warranty. I know, many say they pull it apart. I'd only do this if I new it wouldn't affect my warranty. Just my :2
Good luck :tu

STYX&STONED
10-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I just pull mine apart and run a Q-tip threw the rails with some isopropanol on it and snap it back together.

TOB9595
10-30-2008, 12:41 PM
I tried a few methods to no avail.
I sent the CF Palio back to PALIO.
Tom

OpusEx
10-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Here you go.

I could not have answered this thread any better, so I won't lol
This includes the personal advice given at the end, as the Palio cutter is made of a proprietary composite blend and not a traditional ABS plastic. The reason for the composite is that it is a "non binding" material and will keep its "action" for life and actually get better throughout the life of the unit.

If you have any problems or are unhappy with the unit you have purchased please do as Tom did and either exchange it at an authorized Palio retailer or send it back to Palio directly.

elderboy02
10-30-2008, 06:21 PM
OpusEx, is it ok to take the palio apart?

OpusEx
10-30-2008, 06:34 PM
OpusEx, is it ok to take the palio apart?

While it has happened with some units and it can be put back together, the concern is that each time it is taken apart the area of the "body" that is responsible for keeping it together will lessen in its ability to keep it together. In other words each time it happens it may become easier to achieve.

The feedback received shows that the little "tightness" is only at the very inception of opening the unit and the tendency is to use much more force than is necessary to release from that initial tension.

The feedback has been incorporated into a change that is currently being implemented at the manufacturing level.

It is advised that users follow the "use and care" section of the Palio website and not deviate from those instructions.

giovanni
10-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Mine sticks too but I don't want to do anything that would ruin it!!!

Someone said they wash theirs in the dishwasher??? Does this work???
I put mine in the dishwaher every other month. Keeps it clean and running smooth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hardcz
10-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Believe what he's saying is it won't void your warranty, though he strongly advises against taking it apart.

Not Posted via Mobile Device

TOB9595
01-20-2009, 11:30 AM
While it has happened with some units and it can be put back together, the concern is that each time it is taken apart the area of the "body" that is responsible for keeping it together will lessen in its ability to keep it together. In other words each time it happens it may become easier to achieve.

The feedback received shows that the little "tightness" is only at the very inception of opening the unit and the tendency is to use much more force than is necessary to release from that initial tension.

The feedback has been incorporated into a change that is currently being implemented at the manufacturing level.

It is advised that users follow the "use and care" section of the Palio website and not deviate from those instructions.

Voice mail off to you on the CF.
:)
Tom

Kreth
01-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Good advice for newlyweds, also... :r

SilverFox
01-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I'd be inclined to go with graphite. Either a soft pencil or buy some graphite dust in a tube from the hardware.

This is what I use to great success

Hardcz
01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
If palio's were made on the thighs of virgins like cc's then there wouldn't need to be any lubricating going on.