PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Upgrade Help

gettysburgfreak
12-27-2009, 07:07 PM
So my Asus netbook is running Windows 7 starter. I found a deal online that if your a student you can upgrade to 7 Home Premium for 30 bucks. I used my sisters college email address and got an email with a link to download online. I have tried it three times and still cant get it to work. Each time it takes 8 hours to download. The first time the internet stopped working in the middle of the night, I think that screwed it up. I called Windows help and the guy told me to save it to the C drive. When it finished downloading it said it couldnt find it and didnt work. I am in the process of downloading it for a 3rd time, saving it to my desktop.

Does anyone have any experience upgrading using an online download? If the internet stops working does it really screw up the download?

dunng
12-27-2009, 07:12 PM
I had some issues with MS downloads in the past few days using IE (at work) but tried it at home with FireFox and it worked perfectly! :tu

dunng
12-27-2009, 07:14 PM
As well -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

nayslayer
12-27-2009, 07:43 PM
well, your probably downloading a disk image.... your going to need to burn the disk image to a dvd probably... Use this http://cdburnerxp.se/ The download may be getting stopped from your isp, power settings or numerous other issues, just keep an eye on it

gettysburgfreak
12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
These were my two options

# Download ISO

Alternate download for clean installation (required for XP and Vista 32-bit users)
ISO burning software is required.

DLMWin7HP32US-ISO.exe

# Download EXE

Save file DLMWin7HP32US.exe to your Desktop. After saving, run the file to install your new software.

DLMWin7HP32US.exe

I went with the second one. Hopefully it will work being saved to my desktop. My only concern is after I saved it a blank page showed up on the desktop that says setup1.box if I click on it it says it cant be found.

RGD.
12-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Two things:

1- I would go with the ISO download. A ton of programs will burn ISO files which is an image file. Nero does it with no problems. This way if something goes wrong you have it on disk.

Nero Lite For Free (http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-free.php)

2- $30 bucks??? Seems steep. My daughter just bought a Windows 7 disk at her college bookstore for $13.49 which is good for up to 3 computers.

Ron

gettysburgfreak
12-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks Ron but I dont have an external drive for this yet. What version did she get? I was in the store the other day and saw an upgrade from 7 starter to home premium go for 80 bucks which was the cheapest version.

nayslayer
12-27-2009, 08:32 PM
yeah, bail on the exe ... get the iso, you have to download either the nero lite or the application i posted

nayslayer
12-27-2009, 08:35 PM
why do you want windows 7 pro for the netbook? What will be gained? I would think the premium is suited more for more robust computers and may have more services running on it..may be wrong though

RGD.
12-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks Ron but I dont have an external drive for this yet. What version did she get? I was in the store the other day and saw an upgrade from 7 starter to home premium go for 80 bucks which was the cheapest version.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit - upgrade. And like I said, it is sold at her college bookstore.

A couple items also - size of the download and size of the hard drive you have. Also are you downloading via WiFi, card, etc or are you using a wired connection. Wired is going to be your best bet to get a good download.

Ron

gettysburgfreak
12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
The size is 2260 MB. I have a 250gb hard drive. I am downloading it using my wifi connection in my dorm room here at the academy. I want the full features that the home pro offers compared to just the starter.

nayslayer
12-27-2009, 08:58 PM
good luck, you may need to get a download manager. It allows to pick up a disconnected downloads.

mosesbotbol
12-28-2009, 07:49 AM
I have been developing Win7 for MDT right now. I'd download the ISO and then extract it with a utility. Make sure BITS is enabled & started on your downloading PC. Not sure why you are getting bumped from the download, but wireless is not the best for huge downloads.

I would also use a wired connection for the whole download and upgrade process. Win7 is much better than Vista so far for us.

PeteSB75
12-28-2009, 10:16 AM
The main issue here is that in order to install win 7, you will be basically wiping out most of your existing OS. Makes it hard to use anything other than a drive.

As far as the download, you need a wired connection for anything large, wireless connections require fairly frequent refreshing, and that is likely why you are getting dropped.

Maybe have a friend download the executable with a wired connection and drop it onto a memory stick for you to use? 4gb sticks are not that expensive. Would be my first choice, other than using an optical drive.

There are utilities you can use to mount an ISO on a virtual drive. Not that hard, and much cheaper *free* than buying an optical drive, which netbooks tend to lack. Quick google brings this:

http://askville.amazon.com/free-iso-mounting-software-easy-works-ideas/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7659963

I've used daemon tools in the past with no issues.

gettysburgfreak
12-28-2009, 11:28 AM
thanks for the help guys, I got it figured out finally at 4am last night. After almost 24 hours of trying I finally got it.