PDA

View Full Version : Air Cleaner Suggestion/ Recamendations

joeobx
12-27-2009, 12:00 PM
So my wife got me a TV for the garage( my new winter time oasis) and I have a Holmes desk top air cleaner which is fine for the occasional cig....I know I know, but my wife and I do have the nasty habit. My problem is it cant handle the hour or so of cigar smoke, so I am Looking for suggestions/ recommendations for something better suited for my other habit:ss. Looking for something that wont break the bank, the room is about 20 x 20 with 12' ceiling.

nayslayer
12-27-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't think you'll find something that cheap to clean that air. I'm an ex cigarette smoker and find it intresting that you smoke cigs, and stogies. Do you inhale cigars as well?

joeobx
12-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Definitely don't inhale, wife made me laugh the other night right as I took a draw and thought I was gonna cough up a lung.

tobii3
12-27-2009, 01:25 PM
former ciggie smoker here as well, and NEVER had any urge to inhale a cigar.

Not sure what size "bank" you might be breaking, but I know a lot of guys that smoke in their house and run air purifiers 24/7...

Air Purifier (http://www.surroundair.com/ionic-air-purifier.htm)

nayslayer
12-27-2009, 01:30 PM
That air purified treats 400 square feet of air, and you have 4800 sq ft. you will need some a lot bigger

bobarian
12-27-2009, 01:56 PM
You dont need an air purifier, what you need is ventilation! With that amount of space the cost/benefit of air purifiers is very high. It would be much less expensive to install an inline ventilation/exhaust fan and install it above the garage ceiling. Vented directly outside, even a moderate 400cfm fan should do the job. If you are not handy, check with a local heating/air conditioner installer. :2

replicant_argent
12-27-2009, 03:20 PM
That air purified treats 400 square feet of air, and you have 4800 sq ft. you will need some a lot bigger

you might want to check your apples and oranges.
20x20= 400 sq. ft.
20x20x12= 4800 cubic feet.
Curious that many sites don't say how high the ceiling is in the "treated" area.

I always laugh when I see air cleaners rated for square feet.
What I really want to know when dealing with any type of air equipment is cfm, and funny enough, a lot of "purifier" or "hepa" cleaners don't have the ratings. How many times can I change over the cubic in an hour, and what level of filtration is it. Marketing will tell you all kinds of other things. It's a bit like shopping for cel phone plans. :D

hotreds
12-27-2009, 05:40 PM
http://www.jardenstore.com/Index.aspx

joeobx
12-27-2009, 05:46 PM
You don't need an air purifier, what you need is ventilation! With that amount of space the cost/benefit of air purifiers is very high. It would be much less expensive to install an inline ventilation/exhaust fan and install it above the garage ceiling. Vented directly outside, even a moderate 400cfm fan should do the job. If you are not handy, check with a local heating/air conditioner installer. Never thought of that....sometimes I get locked onto a idea and get tunnel vision. Thats another thing I like about this place, alway some other ideas

Wharf Rat
12-27-2009, 05:53 PM
You dont need an air purifier, what you need is ventilation! With that amount of space the cost/benefit of air purifiers is very high. It would be much less expensive to install an inline ventilation/exhaust fan and install it above the garage ceiling. Vented directly outside, even a moderate 400cfm fan should do the job. If you are not handy, check with a local heating/air conditioner installer. :2

Yeah, Bobs think alike on this. One thing to consider: The air you are pushing outside was heated or cooled first. So, that's a utility cost to keep in mind. There are "heat recovery ventilators" if you want to get fancy.

Bob

tobii3
12-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Pete -

Buddy of mine runs two of those in his house. He smokes around 5 - 7 a day.

Now, I don't follow the specs...I just know that it works.

You can't smell ANY residuals with those running.

replicant_argent
12-27-2009, 07:44 PM
you can look here for some great fans, recommended by one of our 11 fearless leaders.
http://www.fantech.net/inline_duct.htm and then go to the usual places, espray/amazoon/ etc. to find pricing.