PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy cigars kept at 55% RH?

Subvet642
12-25-2009, 07:17 AM
I went to buy some sticks at a liquor store last night because my local B&M doesn't carry what I was looking for. The question: The liquor store humi hygrometer was reading 55%. They said it was accurate. Are they sefe to buy, or should I pass? If I do buy, what then? :confused:

SmokinApe
12-25-2009, 07:23 AM
Of course they said it was accurate, did you think a sales person would say anything different? I doubt they have done an accurate calibration test, they might have but I doubt it...

I wouldn't do it but without seeing them it's hard to give an accurate opinion...

Starscream
12-25-2009, 07:31 AM
If I was desperate enough I would, but normally I wouldn't do it.

Subvet642
12-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Of course they said it was accurate, did you think a sales person would say anything different? I doubt they have done an accurate calibration test, they might have but I doubt it...

I wouldn't do it but without seeing them it's hard to give an accurate opinion...

I've bought a Punch Rothchild there recently and it was fine, but I don't recall seeing a hygro then.

Emjaysmash
12-25-2009, 07:57 AM
You can look to see if the cigars themselves look dry. Gently squeeze the cigar to see if you heard a lot of "crunching", much like you would hear if you crushed a dry leaf. If you can, inspect the foot. if the tobacco looks dry, it probably is. If you can feel the foot, see if that feels dry as well. If your cigar "passes" then go ahead an buy it.

What you could also do is an experiment. Buy two cigars from them. place these in your humi. after one week check to see if there is any wrapper splitting, etc. SMoke this one and see if you like it. Leave the other one in there for 2-3 more weeks, making sure to check to see if the wrapper has split at all. If you see that one or both of these become re-hydrated without splitting, and they smoke well, then I dont see why you cant buy from them- it just might take a while.

You can also buy a stick from them and smoke it. See if you enjoy the cigar. If you do, then no harm, no foul.

14holestogie
12-25-2009, 07:59 AM
I guess it would depend on how long they have been there.
A month at 55 may not show any ill effects. A year may be a different story.

I don't suppose I'd take a chance on the pricier sticks. :2

hotreds
12-25-2009, 08:04 AM
I understand that in Asia cigars are kept at 50-55% humidity. I don't think that a cigar kept at 55 should pose a problem- IF that is an accurate reading. And, with a week or two in your humi, it should be up to your tastes.

shilala
12-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Try it and see?
It's not a super major investment. If it smokes good, then you have another place to buy cigars from. :tu

Emjaysmash
12-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Try some of those Don Diegos. If they taste different than normal, or the burn real hot and become harsh, then they are probably too dry.

ChasDen
12-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Actually, 55% is not all that bad (my opinion).

I have a 300 count that I use to keep at 60% but often fell to 55% to 56% on a regular basis. Once I got the vinos I pretty much stopped using it daily but kept some of the older "Daily" smokes in there and forgot about them for a while. I just smoked one the other day and the RH was 54% and it burned fine. I will add that I took my time with it and did not rush it.

Chas

Subvet642
12-25-2009, 08:49 AM
The impression that I got at the store was that the humidifier had simply run dry. The last stick I bought there was less than a month ago, and it was fine, so I don't think that they were at 55% for too long. The hygro looked to be a high end digital; so I don't know how far off it might be, if at all. They don't carry high end sticks, which is why I was there and not at the B&M. At this point I'm mostly buying daily smokers, so I just may roll the dice. Thank you all for the good advice, but if anyone has more to offer, please feel free. :salute:

goalie204
12-25-2009, 09:07 AM
it's really dry here, and although my vino often says 57-58 until i spray and it gets up to 62-63 (which only lasts a few days), i believe within the boxes, teh RH is somewhat higher. That being said... the cigars smoke just great, i wouldn't be concerned.

M1903A1
12-25-2009, 10:05 AM
I understand that in Asia cigars are kept at 50-55% humidity. I don't think that a cigar kept at 55 should pose a problem- IF that is an accurate reading. And, with a week or two in your humi, it should be up to your tastes.

My understanding is that this is a common British approach to aging. Yes, they are kept at a lower than normal humidity--but they are also kept at a lower temperature (around 55 degrees F or so).

68TriShield
12-25-2009, 10:12 AM
I keep my cigars at about 55%

cf2112
12-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I keep my cigars at 60%+/- a couple points and know people who store their cigars long term at 55-60%. I have smoked many of these cigars and they taste great!!!

T.G
12-25-2009, 10:27 AM
55% is fine, as been stated by a few others, a lot of people store their cigars at that, or even lower.

I would probably avoid them simply because they are at a liquor store and I would question if they were ever maintained properly. Large swings in humidity, humidifiers being left to run dry, humidifiers being filled with tap water, etc...

Subvet642
12-25-2009, 10:37 AM
55% is fine, as been stated by a few others, a lot of people store their cigars at that, or even lower.

I would probably avoid them simply because they are at a liquor store and I would question if they were ever maintained properly. Large swings in humidity, humidifiers being left to run dry, humidifiers being filled with tap water, etc...

Well, I had noticed that their stock had turned over a since the last time I was there, and I have bought there before with no trouble, but the hygro was staring me in the face this time, and I thought I'd check.

T.G
12-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Well, I had noticed that their stock had turned over a since the last time I was there, and I have bought there before with no trouble, but the hygro was staring me in the face this time, and I thought I'd check.

Sounds like they move more cigars than the liquor stores I'm used to seeing here where the cigars tend to sit for years and are usually very poorly cared for,

If they tend to move product and aside from this incident where the hygro was at 55%, you feel that they generally take decent care of their stock, the cigars are probably fine.

Subvet642
12-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Sounds like they move more cigars than the liquor stores I'm used to seeing here where the cigars tend to sit for years and are usually very poorly cared for,

If they tend to move product and aside from this incident where the hygro was at 55%, you feel that they generally take decent care of their stock, the cigars are probably fine.

Yeah, it’s a small store with a lot of traffic. I tend to over analyze things sometimes. Thanks, to you and everyone! :tu

Blueface
12-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Nothing wrong with 55 if that in fact is an accurate reading.
I learned long ago from my dad that you don't light a cigar you don't feel first.
Grab one and give it a gentle squeeze. If it cracks, run like hell. If it doesn't, go for it.