PDA

View Full Version : Nica Libre

acarr
12-24-2009, 12:25 PM
There has been a lot of talk about these on this forum. So I went on a quest to find some. Today there is a good deal on them at cigar.com:

http://www.cigar.com/DailyDeal/ccCigarDeals.asp

5 for $9.95 and if you buy 2 you get free shipping. I took advantage of this and when you go to order it allows to you to buy the 5 cigar Nica Libre sampler for $9.95 also. For 15 cigars for $30.00 ain't bad!

elderboy02
12-24-2009, 12:54 PM
These are good cigars :tu

strider
12-24-2009, 10:13 PM
They are quite good. Just had my second tonight. I got the sampler when I ordered the deal of the day rockys they had. I need to find a box. For 2 bucks a stick these things are fabulous.

OHRD
03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Anyone know who manufacturers these? I'm having one right now and it is excellent, and you can get 25 for $50...

They look and taste like Padron knockoffs, but are they? Or are they manufactured by the same folks?

I can't find info on these things anywhere...

joeobx
03-20-2010, 06:29 AM
I've seen these and wondered about them myself. Whoever designed the band earned his money because the first thing I thought was Padron.

OHRD
03-20-2010, 06:35 AM
I've seen these and wondered about them myself. Whoever designed the band earned his money because the first thing I thought was Padron.

The taste was pretty spot on w/ Padron, and the label is so similar that it makes me wonder if they are connected...but I can't find info on this cigar anywhere..as far as manufacturer, etc...

Help!

rharris
03-20-2010, 09:13 AM
I have heard thay they are an A.J.Fernandez brand.

Trouble
03-20-2010, 10:05 AM
You can get an actual Padron for about 2.50 a piece.

ripper
03-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Got a Nica Libre 10-pack sampler for $19.95 from CI and smoked 2.
Good effort at packaging them as a Padron knockoff. Nice draw, a flavorful smoke that was surprisingly eventful, a raggedy wrapper like a Padron, but no way these cigars are Padrons. They are just that - a knockoff.
For a bit more $, you can smoke the real deal.

Blueface
03-21-2010, 06:34 PM
The taste was pretty spot on w/ Padron, and the label is so similar that it makes me wonder if they are connected...but I can't find info on this cigar anywhere..as far as manufacturer, etc...

Help!

I have not tried them although I have been intrigued since so many said they were Padron knockoffs.

Unfortunately, I got to hang out with a BOTL recently, that other than my dad and myself, he is probably the luniest Padron Anni fan I know. He told me while they are OK smokes, they are not Padron.

After listening to that, and knowing his knowledge of Padrons and experience with them, I can't help but think if I do try these, my mind has now been tainted.

leasingthisspace
03-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I think they are tasty in their own right.

I also think I am a Padrom maddy whore.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blueface
03-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I think they are tasty in their own right.

I also think I am a Padrom maddy whore.
Posted via Mobile Device

My question then to you is, are they Padrons?

Tasty in their own right is OK. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I have yet to find anyone that didn't enjoy them. That said, they must be well made and blended.
However, the thing with these is the comparison to Padron, at a fraction of the cost.

Tredegar
03-21-2010, 07:12 PM
I just recently tried one that was given to me in a PIF and i was pleasantly surprised by it. I really enjoyed the one I had and may have get a fiver or two in the near future.

Razorhog
03-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Anyone care to comment on what they taste like? (besides a Padron)

kgraybill
03-21-2010, 07:23 PM
While they are tasty and well made, the ones that I have smoked burned a little off and burned quick. The torp lasted about 45 minutes when the Padron torp generaly last me around a hour and a half (maybe I unconsiencly smoke Padrons slower because I know that I spent so much on it). The flavor was good and steady but seemed not as refined as a Padron.
They will be smoked to a lip and finger burning nub every time just like a Padron.

kaelaria
03-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I reviewed them recently. They are not Padrons, they have a unique flavor. Not as complex, not as strong - I liked it - but if anyone thinks they taste like a Padron they haven't had many Padrons - or it's been a loooong time ;)

leasingthisspace
03-21-2010, 11:55 PM
My question then to you is, are they Padrons?

Tasty in their own right is OK. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I have yet to find anyone that didn't enjoy them. That said, they must be well made and blended.
However, the thing with these is the comparison to Padron, at a fraction of the cost.

No I don't think they are Padrons. They do IMO have flavors in common though. Earthy and cocoa are a couple of the common tastes. Would I smoke this instead of Padrons? I am not really sure, but I do know if you like Padron maddies you need to at least try one or 5 and decide of yourself. Taste is a funny thing like that. I may think they are the bee's knee but you may think you just wasted a couple of bucks on a crap stick.

If you end up not enjoying them though let me know I will gladly take them off your hands.

Zanaspus
03-22-2010, 05:58 AM
I smoke Padrons. I own Padrons. I love Padrons. You sir, are no Padron.

But it is a good cigar. ;)

OHRD
03-22-2010, 06:08 AM
Anyone care to comment on what they taste like? (besides a Padron)

Though full of flavor, the Nica Libre was a one-dimensional smoke for me. The finish throughout was very dry and earthy, and the dominant profile was sweet chocolate, without the bitterness. Throughout the smoke, there was a subtle creaminess that fought to break through the dryness, and only rarely made it to the surface. There were also notes of espresso and hazelnut with a palate-soaking finish. I’ve been on a non-Maduro kick as of late, so this was a nice, steady re-introduction.

Razorhog
03-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Though full of flavor, the Nica Libre was a one-dimensional smoke for me. The finish throughout was very dry and earthy, and the dominant profile was sweet chocolate, without the bitterness. Throughout the smoke, there was a subtle creaminess that fought to break through the dryness, and only rarely made it to the surface. There were also notes of espresso and hazelnut with a palate-soaking finish. I’ve been on a non-Maduro kick as of late, so this was a nice, steady re-introduction.

Thanks! I've been on the same non-maduro kick. These sound like a bargain but I don't know if I'm ready to delve back into maddies just yet.

OHRD
03-22-2010, 07:17 AM

Comparable in size to the Padron Delicias, the Nica Libre Principe sales for $2 ($50 for 25), while the Delicias goes for $2.70 ($70 for 26). But for me the NL has a bit less strength, which is preferable, and I'd probably go with it 2 out of 3 times. Am I crazy?

Blueface
03-22-2010, 08:32 AM

:confused:

Anni?

Volt
03-22-2010, 08:53 AM

Anni?

I'm with Mr. Blueface. Where are you shoping at? The cheapest 64 I can find is the 64 Principie @ $10.50 (before the taxes hit) a pop. I can pick up the NL's for ~$2.00 a pop on cbid. I don't think any are trying to say the NL is a one for one replacement, but close enough to the 64's for me. With a $8.50 difference in price, I'll smoke the NLs. I have had many of the x000 smokes and none to this point have appealed to me.

I find the NL to match a lot of the Padron creamy/chocolaty range (as in not spicey at all) and as other have noted pretty much one demensional. But then I also find the Padron 64 to be one demensional as well. Just is what is from start to finish. I would love to smoke an "aged" NL just to see what qualities change over time.

OHRD
03-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Not the 64's, just the regular line at $2.70 a pop: here (http://www.cigarplace.biz/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/35702)

Even though the difference is only $.70 a pop, I'd still go w/ NL and bag the savings...

Made in Dade
03-22-2010, 09:06 AM
I have not tried them although I have been intrigued since so many said they were Padron knockoffs.

Unfortunately, I got to hang out with a BOTL recently, that other than my dad and myself, he is probably the luniest Padron Anni fan I know. He told me while they are OK smokes, they are not Padron.

After listening to that, and knowing his knowledge of Padrons and experience with them, I can't help but think if I do try these, my mind has now been tainted.

What do you mean unfortunately. :D
It is a nice cigar, especially for the money. But it is far from a Padron

Blueface
03-22-2010, 09:12 AM
What do you mean unfortunately. :D
It is a nice cigar, especially for the money. But it is far from a Padron

:r

Perhaps not written right.

I meant you ruined it for me.:r

Will definitely try it.

Blueface
03-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Looks like I too will soon know what they taste like.
Ordered a 10 pack (5 sizes, 2 of each) that's on special on CI for $19.99.

I consider myself a Padron Anni whore from day one in '94. Can't wait to try these and compare. I will be open minded. I will remind myself I paid $2 each. I will remind myself to play nice in sand boxes.:r

Volt
03-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I'll be waiting to hear what your thoughts are. I think you'll be happy if you don't expect a Padron, but a cigar with some of the same characteristics.

I consider myself a Padron Anni whore from day one in '94. Can't wait to try these and compare. I will be open minded. I will remind myself I paid $2 each. I will remind myself to play nice in sand boxes.:r

OHRD
03-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Great stuff Blueface; make sure to post your thoughts!

leasingthisspace
03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
If you don't like them Blueface let me know I will buy them off you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blueface
03-23-2010, 01:13 PM
I think with all the folks that have chimed in on these cigars and with folks I know well that are Padron Anni fanatics like Mikey (Made in Dade), I think I will in fact enjoy these very much and truly look forward to them.

kenstogie
03-25-2010, 01:47 PM
I believe these are blended by AJ Fernandez, and for that reason alone I would try them. If you include free shipping and 2 bucks a stick it's probably a win.

Blueface
03-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Got my two sampler packs earlier this week and lit up the Exclusivo version with my dad last night.

I figured I would post here and save another thread.

Folks, I SWEAR I went into this with an open mind.
I SWEAR my dad did also.

I got two 5 five packs for $19.99 plus $5.00 shipping.
At $2 a cigar, was it a great deal? Heck yeah. No doubt about it.

Upon looking at the stick, it is very, very similar to a Padron Anniversary.
It has a dark, oily wrapper very similar to that of a Maduro Anniversary.
It has a band that is so, so similar to that of a Padron Anniversary.
It is box pressed just like a Padron Anniversary.

That my friends is where the similarities end. Before lighting this cigar, I inspected all five. Something I got from my dad. I took each cigar and felt for firmness/construction. Two of them have voids in the middle of the cigar that will clearly present burn issues. Shame that one of the is the large Diplomatico version. The five I gave my dad had no voids at all in the cigar. They were all fine.

Upon initial light, nothing like an Anniversary. It left a bitter after taste that both my dad and I picked up immediately.
After a few drags, the after taste was not only still evident but I could sense the taste by the smell of the tobacco also.
It was quite peppery, more so than a Padron Anniversary. The Padron starts out peppery but after a few drags, quickly tones down. This pup didn't.

Burn wise, this was a very good cigar. Burned quite similar to that of an Anniversary. It stayed lit the entire time.

While the flavors did evolve ever so slightly as I went along, it frankly wasn't very much. It pretty much gave me two thirds of the way in the very same I got from the start. About two thirds of the way through it, I developed an unusual throat itch and cough and put the cigar out.

Both dad and I agree that at $2 a stick, one can't help but shut up, light it up and smoke away. Not much you can get that is made in the manner that cigar is for that price. You can clearly see it is a quality cigar. HOWEVER, to say this is a good replacement for a Padron Anniversary is purely one's opinion that neither I nor my dad can agree with. This is not an Anniversary nor is it remotely close. While you do get a bit of resemblance from the cigar to an Anniversary, that resemblance is certainly far from the real thing and comes purely from the box press, the label and the shade of the wrapper. The flavor similarity, while I must confess there is a twang of resemblance, frankly, it is quite minimal.

Bottom line for me, while this cigar can save me a considerable amount of money as compared to a Padron Anniversary, so can a Toyota Yaris in lieu of my BMW convertible. I rather have the ultimate driving machine for those moments I consider special, which is every time I light a cigar, which is a moment I always try to smoke the one I would enjoy the most, then move down the line. Unfortunately for me, that means I can never, ever have a single Padron Anniversary in my humidor. At this moment, that holds true.

Do I regret buying them? I never regret trying any new cigar, specially at the price I got them.
Would I buy them again? Jury is still out. I will reserve that decision for after I have had a chance to smoke the remaining four, which I promise I will. Dad feels the same.

Respectfully submitted by a Padron Anni whore and his yet greater Padron Anni whore dad.:D

MiamiE
03-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Padron whore myself. Thanks for saving my money!

kelmac07
03-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Very nice review Blueface!! And with an open mind. :D

Blueface
03-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Padron whore myself. Thanks for saving my money!

Erick,
I would try them if you are a Padron Anny whore too.
They are worth trying and your taste may differ significantly to mine.
They are a fantastic value.
Just can't expect them be a replacement for the real thing.
I plan on smoking all five as they may be different based on vitola.

Starscream
03-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Got my two sampler packs earlier this week and lit up the Exclusivo version with my dad last night.

I SWEAR my dad did also.

That my friends is where the similarities end. Before lighting this cigar, I inspected all five. Something I got from my dad. I took each cigar and felt for firmness/construction. Two of them have voids in the middle of the cigar that will clearly present burn issues. Shame that one of the is the large Diplomatico version. The five I gave my dad had no voids at all in the cigar. They were all fine.

Upon initial light, nothing like an Anniversary. It left a bitter after taste that both my dad and I picked up immediately.
After a few drags, the after taste was not only still evident but I could sense the taste by the smell of the tobacco also.
It was quite peppery, more so than a Padron Anniversary. The Padron starts out peppery but after a few drags, quickly tones down. This pup didn't.

Burn wise, this was a very good cigar. Burned quite similar to that of an Anniversary. It stayed lit the entire time.

While the flavors did evolve ever so slightly as I went along, it frankly wasn't very much. It pretty much gave me two thirds of the way in the very same I got from the start. About two thirds of the way through it, I developed an unusual throat itch and cough and put the cigar out.

Both dad and I agree that at $2 a stick, one can't help but shut up, light it up and smoke away. Not much you can get that is made in the manner that cigar is for that price. You can clearly see it is a quality cigar. HOWEVER, to say this is a good replacement for a Padron Anniversary is purely one's opinion that neither I nor my dad can agree with. This is not an Anniversary nor is it remotely close. While you do get a bit of resemblance from the cigar to an Anniversary, that resemblance is certainly far from the real thing and comes purely from the box press, the label and the shade of the wrapper. The flavor similarity, while I must confess there is a twang of resemblance, frankly, it is quite minimal.

Bottom line for me, while this cigar can save me a considerable amount of money as compared to a Padron Anniversary, so can a Toyota Yaris in lieu of my BMW convertible. I rather have the ultimate driving machine for those moments I consider special, which is every time I light a cigar, which is a moment I always try to smoke the one I would enjoy the most, then move down the line. Unfortunately for me, that means I can never, ever have a single Padron Anniversary in my humidor. At this moment, that holds true.

Do I regret buying them? I never regret trying any new cigar, specially at the price I got them.
Would I buy them again? Jury is still out. I will reserve that decision for after I have had a chance to smoke the remaining four, which I promise I will. Dad feels the same.

Respectfully submitted by a Padron Anni whore and his yet greater Padron Anni whore dad.:D
Pretty much sums up my experience with 'em. Thanks for the review.:tu

acarr
03-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Pretty much sums up my experience with 'em. Thanks for the review.:tu

Mine also. After I originally posted this, I had gotten 15 of them. Quite frankly I think they are pretty bad and experienced the same aftertaste as mentioned. It is like going for a Coke and getting the Sams Club brand of soda.

Starscream
03-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Mine also. After I originally posted this, I had gotten 15 of them. Quite frankly I think they are pretty bad and experienced the same aftertaste as mentioned. It is like going for a Coke and getting the Sams Club brand of soda.

More like going for an ice cold Coke and getting a very flat and hot Sam's Club brand.

colinb913
03-27-2010, 05:26 PM
These caught my attention in a cigars intl magazine. Now I just need to get money to spend in ******.. XD.

Or not.. They sound dirty after reading the rest of this thread.

pnoon
03-27-2010, 05:35 PM
These caught my attention in a cigars intl magazine. Now I just need to get money to spend in ******.. XD.

Why not get involved in the NST?
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14254
It's a great way for people to get involved and try new sticks. The only $$$ you'll need is for postage. :2

colinb913
03-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Man, pnoon, you are all over me today. You are my hero! Haha

pnoon
03-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Man, pnoon, you are all over me today. You are my hero! Haha

Just trying to guide you in the right direction, Grasshopper. ;)

kenstogie
03-28-2010, 10:03 AM
I bought them based on the blender not that they are supposedly like Padrons. I think that's just some BS marketing. Haven't had one yet as they need a weeks rest in the humi to stblize the RH. If I like them I'll smoke them if I don't I will let them rest. Not sure what the NST trade is as my B/B won't go there but if you can have a Fog set you up with some tried and true good stix it's a great idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blueface
03-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I bought them based on the blender not that they are supposedly like Padrons. I think that's just some BS marketing. Haven't had one yet as they need a weeks rest in the humi to stblize the RH. If I like them I'll smoke them if I don't I will let them rest. Not sure what the NST trade is as my B/B won't go there but if you can have a Fog set you up with some tried and true good stix it's a great idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

I figure I will let the other four rest for a while before I go back to them.

pitbulljimmy
03-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I smoked through 5 of the Nica Libra Torps. I thought they were crap.

Made in Dade
03-29-2010, 01:21 PM

I SWEAR my dad did also.

:r:r:r

kenstogie
03-29-2010, 01:23 PM
I have just decided. The Nica Libre will be tonights cigar, computer in hand at least a pencil anyway and will see if they suck or not. If they do I'll let em rest for 6 months and revisit.

longknocker
03-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I have just decided. The Nica Libre will be tonights cigar, computer in hand at least a pencil anyway and will see if they suck or not. If they do I'll let em rest for 6 months and revisit.

Give Us Your Review, Please, Ken! Thanks, Brother!:tu

dannysguitar
03-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I smoked 1 yesterday in the afternoon with some bourbon and diet coke and I really liked it. I'm considering a box purchase :-)

longknocker
03-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I smoked 1 yesterday in the afternoon with some bourbon and diet coke and I really liked it. I'm considering a box purchase :-)

Guess "The Jury Is Still Out"!:)

ripper
03-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Would like to think (?) I have advanced tastes -- been smoking cigars 48 years. I smoke cigars after every meal. Am a regular for Padron 4000, 5000 and 1926 Anniversary cigars.
Nica Libre is not a Padron. The Nica Libre construction is vapid, almost airy. The wrapper is ragged.
But I have been working my way through a Nice Libre sampler -- and the more I smoke, the more I like them.
Surprised me how eventful the cigar was. Especially the final third -- it's a lip-burner. Has an emphatic after-taste that may repel some, but this is a good budget smoke.

dannysguitar
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
I agree. Not a Padron, but a good value smoke in it's own right.

Blueface
03-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Has an emphatic after-taste that may repel some, but this is a good budget smoke.

Glad I am not nuts nor is my dad.
It is quite a distinct and unwelcome after taste in my opinion.
Bitter in fact.

Again, I don't think anyone should ever NOT smoke a cigar due to someone's review.
I think everyone should try for themselves as tastes vary so, so much.
Who cares what I like? Should only matter to me.

I am going to sit on the other four for a bit to see if resting them changes it a bit and will eventually smoke the remaining four. Need to call dad to see if he has tried any of his remaining four since this smoke of ours over the weekend.

Blueface
03-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Just spoke to dad.
He smoked the Principe version and didn't find that bitter taste he picked up on the larger Exclusivo version.
Wasn't a Padron but did enjoy the smoke.

So...........for now, will write it off as maybe we got two bad sticks with the Exclusivo and the others may be better. Will give the Principe a shot tomorrow and see. If not to my liking, will go back to concept of sitting on them a while.

68TriShield
03-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Who cares what I like? Should only matter to me.

I care what you like Carlos :)

Blueface
03-29-2010, 05:19 PM
I care what you like Carlos :)

Don't know what to say.
I never expected anyone to care.
I am lost for words.:r

kenstogie
03-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Give Us Your Review, Please, Ken! Thanks, Brother!:tu
Well after putting the little one to bed wasn't sure I'd have the time but forged ahead and plucked the smallest one, a robusto size I guess. I didn't have high expectations based on other reviews here but I've heard that AJ Fernandez was the blender (Man O' War, Diesel etc) so you never know so the stick could be anything.

PRELIGHT- Smell was nothing spectacular and it was a little spongy but often when I get cigars from CI they seem a little wet so whatever. Look of the construction seemed good to very good with and very EZ draw.

LIGHT- Light had a hint of spice/nut and was intrigued on first taste as was pretty much the first 5 mins. Had a lot of very creamy smoke and realized there was some depth to this cigar.

THE REST- the rest of the cigar went from creamy richness choco/coffee/nut with just a hint of spice and rotated those flavors at random.

CONCLUSION - I thoroughly enjoyed and in fact LOVED this cigar and for me compared with many $8-10 cigars. It never got hot until the very end. The only down side was that I did notice the back of the throat thing but lasted for just a moment or two so not to big of a minus at all. For me it gets a solid A and when you factor in the $2 price tag maybe a little higher. If all the cigars in the pack are like this one it's a BIG win, highly recommend.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_sctUupuw_Zk/S7FbEcXSSDI/AAAAAAAAEUA/is0Aq0Sz3Vs/s800/IMG_0987.JPG

OHRD
03-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Just spoke to dad.
He smoked the Principe version and didn't find that bitter taste he picked up on the larger Exclusivo version.
Wasn't a Padron but did enjoy the smoke.

So...........for now, will write it off as maybe we got two bad sticks with the Exclusivo and the others may be better. Will give the Principe a shot tomorrow and see. If not to my liking, will go back to concept of sitting on them a while.

The Principe is what I had and was blown away, considering the price - maybe this is their standout size.

Still no info on the cigar though, some have said its an AJ Fernandez...anyone?

OHRD
03-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Well after putting the little one to bed wasn't sure I'd have the time but forged ahead and plucked the smallest one, a robusto size I guess. I didn't have high expectations based on other reviews here but I've heard that AJ Fernandez was the blender (Man O' War, Diesel etc) so you never know so the stick could be anything.

PRELIGHT- Smell was nothing spectacular and it was a little spongy but often when I get cigars from CI they seem a little wet so whatever. Look of the construction seemed good to very good with and very EZ draw.

LIGHT- Light had a hint of spice/nut and was intrigued on first taste as was pretty much the first 5 mins. Had a lot of very creamy smoke and realized there was some depth to this cigar.

THE REST- the rest of the cigar went from creamy richness choco/coffee/nut with just a hint of spice and rotated those flavors at random.

CONCLUSION - I thoroughly enjoyed and in fact LOVED this cigar and for me compared with many $8-10 cigars. It never got hot until the very end. The only down side was that I did notice the back of the throat thing but lasted for just a moment or two so not to big of a minus at all. For me it gets a solid A and when you factor in the $2 price tag maybe a little higher. If all the cigars in the pack are like this one it's a BIG win, highly recommend.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_sctUupuw_Zk/S7FbEcXSSDI/AAAAAAAAEUA/is0Aq0Sz3Vs/s800/IMG_0987.JPG

Great review Ken! I'm telling y'all, this is a good smoke!

Blueface
03-30-2010, 06:29 AM
The Principe is what I had and was blown away, considering the price - maybe this is their standout size.

Still no info on the cigar though, some have said its an AJ Fernandez...anyone?

Will give the Principe a shot today as seems dad really enjoyed it yesterday.

kenstogie
03-30-2010, 06:38 AM
After checking out the sizes I believe I had the Principe. (4.5" x 46)
Checking on the blender, now.

kenstogie
03-30-2010, 06:51 AM
According to this sight it is AJ Fernandez.
http://robustojoe.com/cigar-blends

Here's a cached page (no longer live) from cigar.com
“The tale of the tape…”
When Cigar.com billed the Nica Libre as an alternative to the Padron Anniversary maduro, I just had to see this for myself. I mean, how could a $2 cigar stand up to an icon of cigar supremacy costing four times that amount? Was this a case of David vs. Goliath in the valley of Jalapa? Upon learning that Abdel (A.J.) Fernandez was the brain behind the Nica Libre blend, I promptly ordered a box. I have enjoyed everything AJ has created from the Padilla Habano to the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, and felt I had nothing to lose by getting a box of the Libre, sight unseen, especially at $2/stick.

This sampler also indicates that AJ is the blender
A.J. Fernandez Dirty Dozen Sampler (12 Cigars) $29.95 (http://www.amazingcigarbargains.com/cigar-shops/cigar-com/a-j-fernandez-dirty-dozen-cigar-sampler/)

I have found nothing to the contrary of AJ being the blender.

I am telling you AJ Fernandez is following the footsteps of DPG. JMHO of course.

Blueface
03-30-2010, 07:23 AM
OK,
Let's do an INTERACTIVE review.

Just had the Principe.
I must admit, DAY AND NIGHT difference from the Exclusivo.
While the Exclusivo made me want to put it out right away, although I didn't, this one was quite enjoyable.
Was it worth $2? Heck yeah. Will I ever pay more than $2? Not much more than that and will show you why and you decide for yourself. Those that know me know I can cradle a cigar for ages. While most smoke two and three, I am still on one. This cigar took me all of just a mere 22 minutes. Not sure what others have gotten and would be interested to hear.

This one did not have that strange bitter after taste as the Exclusivo did. It did arise about half way through but was quite mild and didn't turn me off. What did not impress me was the lack of quality in the construction. Perhaps I am unlucky. Perhaps I am too demanding. Either way, this one and two others I have yet to smoke have a lot to be desired with construction.

No doubt thus far, the Principe is the one I will gladly do again and hope for better construction. The Exclusivo will be left for the rest of you.

P.S.
Enjoy the pool.:r

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo.jpg

Severe void
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-1.jpg

Blueface
03-30-2010, 07:26 AM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-4.jpg

4 minutes
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-2.jpg

6 minutes
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-3.jpg

14 minutes
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-5.jpg

Blueface
03-30-2010, 07:27 AM
16 minutes
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-6.jpg

18 minutes
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-7.jpg

20 minutes
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-8.jpg

The end
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-9.jpg

Volt
03-30-2010, 07:28 AM
You fond the Nl the same way I do. Your just better with the review :D. I would like it for $5 - $6 a stick, at ~$2.00 it's a definite keeper.

Blueface
03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
P.S.
Just want to add that I personally feel it is an injustice to both companies to compare this cigar to a Padron Anniversary.
It sets a very high bar it can't compete with.
I can understand why folks make the comparison given the band, the shape, the shade and the manufacturer's marketing (all same vitola as Padron named the same as Padron Annis).
It is like Shop Rite cola v. Coke. They are both cola. That is it.
Never the less, I will pick up some more Principes as you just can't beat that price.

However, the Principe, standing on its own right, was an enjoyable smoke and certainly a great value at $2. Again, not sure what has happened to me and if the norm but 3 out of 5 in the pack have significant voids in the middle as shown in the above photos. For that reason (coupled with how fast this burned on me), I can't see spending $5-6 as some have said they would pay. To me, there is a reason why a Principe from Padron is around $10 and I am willing to pay for that difference. Some may not. Some may not be able to even if they wanted to. That is all personal.

As I always say and always follow..............don't take anyone's word. Try it yourself and if you like it, so may it be.
So far, of the two vitolas I have tried, praise for the Principe for flavor and enjoyment while to hell with the Exclusivo which I will never try again, not even if they sold them at $1.

OHRD
03-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Great details Blueface! Thanks for the info; I also had a fast burn, but not quite that fast. And mine was also spongy like yours, though more at the foot than in the middle...

kenstogie
03-30-2010, 09:01 AM
P.S.
Just want to add that I personally feel it is an injustice to both companies to compare this cigar to a Padron Anniversary.
It sets a very high bar it can't compete with.
I can understand why folks make the comparison given the band, the shape, the shade and the manufacturer's marketing (all same vitola as Padron named the same as Padron Annis).
It is like Shop Rite cola v. Coke. They are both cola. That is it.
Never the less, I will pick up some more Principes as you just can't beat that price.

However, the Principe, standing on its own right, was an enjoyable smoke and certainly a great value at $2.
don't take anyone's word. Try it yourself and if you like it, so may it be.
So far, of the two vitolas I have tried, praise for the Principe for flavor and enjoyment while to hell with the Exclusivo which I will never try again, not even if they sold them at $1.
i agree with Blueface that comparing with a Padron is setting yourself up for failure, but they wanted a way to market them so that's why they did it I presume.

I also agree with Blue like what YOU like not what someone else likes. One GREAT way to do this would be to do blind (no bands) reviews. You will learn quickly that some cigars are just overpriced and some cigars are underpriced based on YOUR taste.

I am thinking of trying the Exclusio next to see if it is that much of a difference.

Cheers!

Blueface
03-30-2010, 09:10 AM
i agree with that comparing with a Padron is setting yourself up for failure, but they wanted a wat to market them so that's why they did it I presume.

I also agree like what you like not what someone else likes. One GREAT way to do this would be to do blind (no bands) reviews. You will learn quickly that some cigars are just overpriced and some cigars are underpriced.

I am thinking of trying the Exclusio next to see if it is that much of a difference.

Go ahead and do that Exclusivo as I would really be interested in knowing if I just got two bad ones. With ours, both dad and I immediately looked at each other wondering what the heck was that when we first tasted the awful after taste. I couldn't even finish the cigar due to the bad itch it developed in my throat.

I am game for a challenge and will definitely eventually pick up some Padron Principes and some more Nica Libre Principes and do a side by side.

HOWEVER, I am not nor have ever been a "casual" Padron Anni smoker. I have instead been the ultimate whore for any of their vitolas. Having smoked them very, very regularlyy (almost bordering on excessively) since their creation in 1994, I assure you I already know what the outcome will be. I have had my own personal account directly with Padron with a discount since the early 90's. To my pallate, Padron Annis have a very unique profile I don't pick up with any other cigars.

I don't think the Annis are overpriced at all given what goes into making them. I personally feel I am getting a great value. In comparison, overpriced to me is a Graycliff at TWICE the price of an average Anni. As to these Nica Libre being cheap, I bet that is a temporary marketing thing to get them exposed. Can't imagine them staying at that price.

Volt
03-30-2010, 09:18 AM
As a true Anni wh0re you may be a bad person for the comparison. I think with the amount of 64 Annis I have smoked they are worth the $$ spent on them, problem is I just can't aford them excwept for rare ocassions and even worse now as the SCHIP has really run some of the prices up.. So for me the NL is a good get by. I have not smoked the Exclusivo, so I'll try to hunt one down myself and see if I find a diff as you did.

Go ahead and do that Exclusivo as I would really be interested in knowing if I just got two bad ones. With ours, both dad and I immediately looked at each other wondering what the heck was that when we first tasted the awful after taste. I couldn't even finish the cigar due to the bad itch it developed in my throat.

I am game for a challenge and will definitely eventually pick up some Padron Principes and some more Nica Libre Principes and do a side by side.

HOWEVER, I am not nor have ever been a "casual" Padron Anni smoker. I have instead been the ultimate whore for any of their vitolas. Having smoked them very, very regularlyy (almost bordering on excessively) since their creation in 1994, I assure you I already know what the outcome will be. I have had my own personal account directly with Padron with a discount since the early 90's. To my pallate, Padron Annis have a very unique profile I don't pick up with any other cigars.

I don't think the Annis are overpriced at all given what goes into making them. I personally feel I am getting a great value. In comparison, overpriced to me is a Graycliff at TWICE the price of an average Anni. As to these Nica Libre being cheap, I bet that is a temporary marketing thing to get them exposed. Can't imagine them staying at that price.

Blueface
03-31-2010, 06:46 AM
Going to light up the Torpedo later today and review as well.

Just noticed, we can no longer call these a $2 cigar.
Cheapest box now on CI is $50 for the Principe.
The Torpedo tops the list at $65.
They come in boxes of 20.

So...............simple math, these pups have now graduated to the $2.50 to $3.00+ range.
While still a good value, I suspect they will not last in that range either and will creep up further.

OHRD
03-31-2010, 06:50 AM

So...............simple math, these pups have now graduated to the $2.50 to $3.00+ range.
While still a good value, I suspect they will not last in that range either and will creep up further.

You can still get the Principe at Cigar.com for $50 with a freebie 5 pack, so 25 for $50: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=745

kenstogie
03-31-2010, 06:52 AM

Good, Let us know on the Torpedo. I suspect your right. They originally went for like $80 a box as I recall and will be there soon when word gets out.

Blueface
03-31-2010, 06:58 AM
You can still get the Principe at Cigar.com for $50 with a freebie 5 pack, so 25 for $50: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=745

I don't think so.
Just checked that site and pretty comparable to CI in prices.
The 5 pack is available on both for $20 but heck if I want all sizes again with my Exclusivo experience.

OHRD
03-31-2010, 07:00 AM
I don't think so.
Just checked that site and pretty comparable to CI in prices.
The 5 pack is available on both for $20 but heck if I want all sizes again with my Exclusivo experience.

Principe, 4.5 x 46: Box of 20 w/ Freebie: $49.95
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=745

Blueface
03-31-2010, 07:16 AM
Principe, 4.5 x 46: Box of 20 w/ Freebie: $49.95
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=745

Holy Crap!
I just realized, I thought you said $.50.

OHRD
03-31-2010, 07:18 AM

Holy Crap!
I just realized, I thought you said $.50.

Don't worry, I'm used to no one listening to me - my wife does an excellent job of it!

kaelaria
03-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Don't forget these are regularly on the daily deals SUPER cheap too.

Blueface
03-31-2010, 07:30 AM
Don't worry, I'm used to no one listening to me - my wife does an excellent job of it!

.....and for some reason you believe you should be any different than any of us other married men?:r

OHRD
03-31-2010, 07:32 AM
.....and for some reason you believe you should be any different than any of us other married men?:r

Ha! Very true...what was I thinking! And now I've got a son who doesn't listen and another one on the way...Does it ever get better!?

Blueface
03-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Ha! Very true...what was I thinking! And now I've got a son who doesn't listen and another one on the way...Does it ever get better!?

I wish I could give you hope.
Having raised two to adults and now having an empty nest..........
In as best short and sweet way I can tell you............

NOPE!

Blueface
03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Just smoked the Torpedo.
Will post photos later tonight.
Of the three I have smoked, this by far was the best.
I enjoyed the cigar. I can safely and clearly state this is not a Padron profile nor is it remotely close. On its own merits, it was a very good tasting cigar.
The construction was good overall.
I hair spongy but not bad at all.
The burn was a tad uneven but not as bad as the Principe. In fact, it was not bad at all.
I didn't pick up that after taste until about 3/4 of the way into the cigar and when I did, it was minimal and didn't last very long. I must have gotten use to it by now.

The only negative I will say about it is that just like the other two, this thing burns like wildfire. I have never, ever, ever had a torpedo of this size that has burned as fast as this cigar did.
I smoked it no differently than any other cigar. In fact, half of it was done while bs' ing with my neighbor guiding him on some gardening.
I killed this cigar in only 32 minutes.

So..........don't think anyone has commented on this when speaking of value.
Sure it is a cheap $2 to $3 cigar by today's pricing but when one considers the minimal enjoyment time involved as compared to other torpedo's of the same size, such as a Padron that will take me well over an hour, one has to really question the value overall at the end of the day. In the end, you are not getting a comparable cigar for $2-$3 to that of a $5-$10. You are just getting $2-$3 worth of tobacco.

Two sizes left to go to try out. Will likely do one a day for the next couple of days.

kenstogie
03-31-2010, 10:12 AM
The principe I had lasted about 45 min, but as you could tell I was playing with my Canon so I probably extended it by 10. I still really liked the flavor of it and I have had maybe a dozen of the Padron Ann 26/64's it wasn't them it was different.

Rabidsquirrel
03-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Just got a 5er sampler for $10.79 + shipping. After they sit a bit I'll give them a shot.

kenstogie
03-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Just got a 5er sampler for $10.79 + shipping. After they sit a bit I'll give them a shot.

Where did you get it?? Do tell.

htown
04-01-2010, 04:17 AM
I just got a box of Principes on the devil site for $28- I am stoked. I got a couple of these from a friend on another board and was pleasantly surprised.

BeerAdvocate
04-01-2010, 05:43 AM
I just got a box of Principes on the devil site for $28- I am stoked. I got a couple of these from a friend on another board and was pleasantly surprised.

$28 !!!!! What a steal.
I havent had one yet, but if I can get a deal like that, I will commit to a box right away!

kelmac07
04-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Trying my first Nica Libre this evening. :tu

Blueface
04-01-2010, 06:57 AM
$28 !!!!! What a steal.
I havent had one yet, but if I can get a deal like that, I will commit to a box right away!

That is a great price indeed.

Trying my first Nica Libre this evening. :tu

Hope not the Exclusivo.

kelmac07
04-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Hope not the Exclusivo.

Trying the Imperial or Torpedo.

Rabidsquirrel
04-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Where did you get it?? Do tell.

Make Me an Offer on CI. The sampler is in the "we'll take almost anything" section. My first offer was 8 and change, I'd start off at 9 and see if they take it.

smokin5
04-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Tried my first Exclusivo tonight (5-1/2 x 50 ring).
Most unimpressed.
Did not remind me of ANY Padron I've ever had, not the x000 series, much less a 1926 or 1964. Actually, it struck me more as an anemic Cuban Crafters Cabinet Selection. Sorta the same coffee/leather/spice, but far more subdued, with all flavor in the forefront & a flat finish. Every so often, I'd get a whiff of chocolate, but it was ghost-like in its appearance & disappearance. Granted, I've only smoked this one, but I have no incentive to buy another. There are far better smokes out there in the same price range, so this one can stay in someone else's humidor.:td

sofaman
04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Trying the Imperial or Torpedo.

Let me know how it was Mac I have been wanting to try these also:confused:

yourchoice
04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
This thread is going to force my hand! Great discussion guys. :tu

kenstogie
04-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Wow the reviews are all over. Love it, hate it. I REALLY liked this cigar it was the first one to wow me in long while. It's all about flavor for me and that's where it hit the spot. I had t he Principe (Spelling?)

Blueface
04-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Wow the reviews are all over. Love it, hate it. I REALLY liked this cigar it was the first one to wow me in long while. It's all about flavor for me and that's where it hit the spot. I had t he Principe (Spelling?)

For me, it totally had to do with the vitola.

Both dad and I agreed the Principe was a good tasting cigar.
We also both agree the Torpedo was the very best of the three we smoked.
We certainly were in agreement the Exclusive totally sucked.

I guess it boils down to first and foremost, a fair comparison of vitolas. You just can't assume they are all the same and just different sizes.

Next, it totally has to do with personal tastes. We all have different ones. I don't see this as Filet Mignon or Lobster where so many of the overall population just loves both. I think with this cigar, it will be a hit or a miss, depending on your taste preferences/perceptions and depending on your expectations.

For $2? Again, awesome tasting cigar (two of the three I tried that is).
Is it a Padron? Not even remotely close.
Is it deserving of such comparison. Absolutely not.
Is it worth trying? Absolutely. You be your own judge.
Is it something I am going to run out and stock up on? Nope.
Will I buy more in the future for an occasional kick and giggle? Yeah.

I am going for one of the two remaining vitolas later today. That will be number 4 and not really sure what that will be like as those two have bad, bad voids in them, unlike the Torpedo which had the best construction of all thus far. Dad is also going to have one so will share his thoughts as we both seem to be sharing the identical views thus far.

Just checked the Imperial again and the void is a mess, just below and bordering on the band. I can easily compress it to half the cigar.

kenstogie
04-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Is it possible the rollers of the Prinicipe are the same team? And so for all vitolas? May explain the differences for the same cigar in different vitolas.

Blueface
04-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Here is what awaits me later.
Note my fingers semi gently compressing the void in tobacco.
That is not my fingers covering up the cigar.
That is the cigar compressed to that point.
This is the Imperial version.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-10.jpg

shilala
04-02-2010, 07:46 AM
I noticed how Padronesque this cigar looked the very first time I saw it. I have to admit that just looking, it definately gave me an impression that it must be excellent. Then realizing it was a knock-off, I've avoided it.
After reading through this thread, I'm going to have to try some if I can lay my hands on them. :tu

Blueface
04-02-2010, 07:55 AM
I noticed how Padronesque this cigar looked the very first time I saw it. I have to admit that just looking, it definately gave me an impression that it must be excellent. Then realizing it was a knock-off, I've avoided it.
After reading through this thread, I'm going to have to try some if I can lay my hands on them. :tu

Just saw and posted on you Monarca thread.
Just understand you should not expect that same result.;)

shilala
04-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Just saw and posted on you Monarca thread.
Just understand you should not expect that same result.;)

That's why I stayed away initially, Carlos. Figured it looked good, tasted like poop. It brought to mind the Padron Alts I once tried. They were pointless, tasted like nothing. The older they got, the more nothing they got. The crappy dyed wrappers stayed really dark brown while the filler and binder turned hay yellow. Definately comical to look at. :)

Blueface
04-02-2010, 09:01 AM
That's why I stayed away initially, Carlos. Figured it looked good, tasted like poop. It brought to mind the Padron Alts I once tried. They were pointless, tasted like nothing. The older they got, the more nothing they got. The crappy dyed wrappers stayed really dark brown while the filler and binder turned hay yellow. Definately comical to look at. :)

I have to admit that while I crapped on this brand initially when I did the Exclusivo, the other two have been enjoyable smokes, on their own merit, as long as you don't compare them to Padrons, which I would call the NC Holy Grail.
The Principe and the Torpedo were good smokes. Quickies, but good.

The less to be desired poor construction with the voids on three out of five is my pet peeve.

kenstogie
04-02-2010, 09:32 AM
I have to admit that while I crapped on this brand initially when I did the Exclusivo, the other two have been enjoyable smokes, on their own merit, as long as you don't compare them to Padrons, which I would call the NC Holy Grail.
The Principe and the Torpedo were good smokes. Quickies, but good.

The less to be desired poor construction with the voids on three out of five is my pet peeve.

I agree with what Blue says, although I really like the flavor alot.

Blueface
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Am I alone here?
I can't help but each and ever time I see this thread or pronounce Nica Libre to think of this:
Clicky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yraIaeMBbj0)

Blueface
04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Smoked the Imperial.
Got a lot longer out of this one.
Lasted me 50 minutes.
Very similar experience to that of the Torpedo.
Enjoyed the taste up until about 3/4 of the way into it when it became a bit bitter and hot. That after taste kicked in strong at that point but had been MIA until then.

Overall, good smoke. The void did not impact the burn.
Would gladly do it again.

So far, out of four I have smoked:
Exclusivo :td
Principe :tu
Torpedo :tu:wo
Imperial :tu

Tomorrow on to the big boy and the last of the five sampler.

OHRD
04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Finally posted my review, here (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30656).

Don Fernando
04-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Glad I am not nuts

Keep telling that to yourself Carlos :r

sodomanaz
04-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Man, I must smoke slow or something. I get 90 minutes + out of everything out of my flight sampler (except that tiny bastard).

Never tried a Padron, but these tastes damn good :D.

leasingthisspace
04-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Never had a Padron? Never ever? Now that's nuts.
Posted via Mobile Device

kenstogie
04-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Never had a Padron? Never ever? Now that's nuts.
Posted via Mobile Device

:tpd:

Volt
04-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Well Im liking the NL and scored IMO a great deal. I hit a box of Diplimaticos for $37 at the Devil site. Woot! $1.85 a stick.

OHRD
04-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Well Im liking the NL and scored IMO a great deal. I hit a box of Diplimaticos for $37 at the Devil site. Woot! $1.85 a stick.

Well done Volt! I'm looking for a box of Principe's on CBid but haven't been lucky yet...

Volt
04-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Well done Volt! I'm looking for a box of Principe's on CBid but haven't been lucky yet...

Cbid seems to be carrying the longer sized sticks. I haven't seen any boxes of the smaller sizes and only 1 in a fiver.

rgrecco
04-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I had a few Nica Libre Exclusivo (5.5" x 50) sitting in my Humidor for about a month or 2... I decided to give one of them a whirl last night...

WOW... It was really pleasent... I am not going to try to explain it because I am still new to the cigar world... But so far its my favorite out of the ones that I have tried...

I don't have anything too spectacular but I am sure I will find some more like this one...

RON

macsauce13
04-06-2010, 01:51 PM
So I had my first Nica Libre this weekend and I didn't really enjoy it. :( I really wanted to, and I think it might be more my fault then the cigar itself. This thing had more spice than I was expecting and that is the one flavor profile I really don't enjoy.

Too bad, because after reading this thread I wanted to love them!

There are plenty other fish in the sea!

pitbulljimmy
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Really? Everyone thinks so highly of these? Momma always told me if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.... so with regards to the 5 Nica Libra Torpedoes I've smoked in the last year, well... That's all I gotta say about that.

htown
04-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Finally got my box of El Principes from the Devil Site. If I can find another box for $28 I'll jump all over it too.

kenstogie
04-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Finally got my box of El Principes from the Devil Site. If I can find another box for $28 I'll jump all over it too.
Lucky dog! On a different note I tried another size of the NC and it had some simularities but was NOT nearly as good. I'm gonna try the other principe I got in the sampler and see how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

htown
04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Lucky dog! On a different note I tried another size of the NC and it had some simularities but was NOT nearly as good. I'm gonna try the other principe I got in the sampler and see how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smoked one just a little while ago and it was just as tasty as the other two I smoked.

Blueface
04-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I still need to do the biggest one of the five.

Haven't bought anymore yet.

Dad has yet to ask me to order more either.

However, at the current price, hard to beat but solely based on that.

kenstogie
04-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Wondering about the Nica Sizes???
Well look no further....

Diplomatico (7.0" x 50)

Exclusivo (5.5" x 50)

Imperial (6.0" x 54)

Principe (4.5" x 46)

Torpedo (6.0" x 52)

Starscream
04-10-2010, 05:16 PM
This thread was started in December and it's still going today. We now know that Nica Libre/CI did a helluva marketing job on these sticks. Reminds me of a Gurkha. The cigar is crap, but the marketing is 110%.

Rabidsquirrel
04-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Smoked the Exculsivo today, didn't seem to be ready yet.

Blueface
04-10-2010, 07:20 PM
This thread was started in December and it's still going today. We now know that Nica Libre/CI did a helluva marketing job on these sticks. Reminds me of a Gurkha. The cigar is crap, but the marketing is 110%.

kenstogie
04-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't think it's crap for $2 in fact I like them but I agree with the marketing.

maninblack
04-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Reading all these posts has me confused on whether to try these or not. I guess I just need to take the plunge and get some off the devil site.

Blueface
04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Reading all these posts has me confused on whether to try these or not.

Serious?

You should never feel that way.
You should always let your own taste determine what you like and what you don't. Never go by someone else's.

Starscream
04-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Reading all these posts has me confused on whether to try these or not. I guess I just need to take the plunge and get some off the devil site.

You'll never know until you try it. Stick with a 5-pack at first.

whodeeni
04-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Have any of you guys heard about the RP Decade Edicion Limitado maduro
They say this cigar is very much like a padron....

acarr
04-11-2010, 08:37 PM

You said it brother. I started this thread because I heard a bunch of stuff about these cigars. So I got 15 of them for $30.00, and I got ripped off. To be honest, they are probably some of the worst cigars I have had with the exception of a Gurkha Legend. I now wonder how many shills there are on cigar sites that do the initial push for these types of things.

kenstogie
04-12-2010, 08:36 AM
You said it brother. I started this thread because I heard a bunch of stuff about these cigars. So I got 15 of them for $30.00, and I got ripped off. To be honest, they are probably some of the worst cigars I have had with the exception of a Gurkha Legend. I now wonder how many shills there are on cigar sites that do the initial push for these types of things.
15 for 30 again on Cbid if your so inclined. :D
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=880284

Rabidsquirrel
04-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I feel at $2 a piece they're far from a rip-off. To each his own, I guess.

Kreth
04-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Smoked one of these on the golf course today. It had about 3 months in the cooler. Nice chocolate and coffee flavors, creamy. Burned reasonably well, and it was pretty windy on the course.
Also, once my sticks get down too short for my CigarMinder, I usually let them go out and chew on them for a few holes. This stick never got bitter, just kept that chocolate-coffee mix. Nice golf smoke. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

OHRD
04-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey Fellas,

I've got one of those 5 pack samplers, one of each size, if someone wants to do a small trade for it. We can include others as well...I'm looking for mild/med stuff. PM me if interested.

kgraybill
04-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Half way through a box of the torps I am finding that they are well worth the money but a little inconsistant on the flavor. the slight inconsistancy is not enough to keep me from purchacing another box.