PDA

View Full Version : Punch Uppercut

strider
12-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Punch Uppercut "Robusto"

Time: 6:30ish
Drink: Water

Disclaimer: Very new to cigars. This review is more for me then anyone else:)

Note: I need to start bring the real camera into the car with me.

Construction: The stick looked good. Nice chocolate wrapper with small veins. Quite smooth. Felt a bit spongy. The double cap looked a bit funny. The first cap was much lighter in color then the cap under it and the wrapper. Upon clipping I was greeted with a strange sight. There was a thin piece that looked almost like a stem right in the middle of the foot with a fair amount of air space around it. Could move it around with my finger. The draw felt very loose.

Burn: For the most part the cigar burned pretty well. Loose draw but burn was fine right up till the last third when the cigar started tunneling bad. Corrected once but the cigar reverted right back to tunneling. At this point I was gettin the cigar so hot just trying to get smoke and a good burn that the taste was pretty fowl and I had to end it.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy4/striderjg/Cigars/uppercut1.jpg

Taste: This was sold to me as a full flavored cigar. To me, it absolutely was not. There was some pepper burn on the back of the throat throughout the cigar. The smoke also felt very very dry. Luckily I remembered the water. The first 3rd had almost no flavor. Tasted almost like air. The second third brought a VERY mild chocolate (if you were looking for it). Near the end of the 2nd third I started getting what I'm gonna call a light ash taste. From what I could taste of the final third the chocolate may have vanished and been replaced by a VERY mild leather. The smoke coming off the end of this cigar had a very odd smell. It might be power of suggestion from the thread on ammonia, but.... that's the best word I can use to describe the smell in the smoke.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy4/striderjg/Cigars/uppercut2.jpg

Verdict: :td I would not buy this cigar again, and can't really think of who I would recommend it too.

Adriftpanda
12-21-2009, 07:03 PM
This cigar looks cool at least, doesn't come in a coffin? I guess I won't be trying this out than. Thanks for the heads up.

Ratters
12-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Bobarian had one of these at the last herf and said it was OK, kind of a Camacho lite. Maybe you got a bum one. Do you have another?

NCRadioMan
12-21-2009, 07:07 PM
This cigar looks cool at least, doesn't come in a coffin? I guess I won't be trying this out than. Thanks for the heads up.

The 3 cigar sampler comes in a coffin type box. These are just ok, imo. Nothing special.

strider, do you nose exhale?

strider
12-21-2009, 07:12 PM
It's possible it was a dud. not sure if I am gonna bother trying again though. Only picked the one up to try. Ya, I nose exhale. Was just natural for me as a former smoker and some of the previous times I'd quite and decided I could still smoke I just couldn't inhale:) Could just be my palette as well. The odd head though makes me wonder if it was a dud.

bobarian
12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
I thought this was a reasonable offering from Punch. I had the Robusto size. I like Honduran tobacco and this was definitely like a Camacho Corojo lite. More on the medium side and not too complex, but I would smoke it again. I have a churchill size left and will smoke that one soon. :2

s15driftking
12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
just smoked one tonight, I anjoyed it, It was a very well constructed cigar.

Thanks for the review!