PDA

View Full Version : Humidor drawer divider issue

paris1129
12-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi everyone! I have a question that hopefully someone will have some experience with. I recently purchased a montegue cabinet humidor from tampahumidor, and it really is a beautiful piece! I have been seasoning it for about 10 days now to get it up to 68-70 rh. I am now in the process of placing some singles in the top drawer, but I just discovered that the divider pieces provided do not seem to stay in place. There is a white putty like substance on each end that is supposed to hold the divider in place. I've seen this stuff on other dividers, including in my desktop humi. However, the stuff that came on the dividers with the montegue are brittle and there isn't much of it on there, so the dividers slide out of place and fall down anytime I place a cigar near it! Does anybody know of a substance that I can put on the tray dividers to tighten the fit a bit? I am concerned about using something that might have a smell that bleeds onto my sticks or a chemical that might induce mold, etc. Any suggestions on how I can get my dividers tight? :confused:

bobarian
12-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Did you humidify the dividers at the same time you did the humidor? If not they are drier and may expand when at the same rh as the box. You can build up the ends with masking tape if they still need tightening. :2

T.G
12-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Did you humidify the dividers at the same time you did the humidor? If not they are drier and may expand when at the same rh as the box. You can build up the ends with masking tape if they still need tightening. :2

:tpd:

If you have a large gap to build up, rather than masking tape, self-adhesive vinyl foam weatherstripping might work well too.

Subvet642
12-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Try some "Tacky Wax". It's used to keep display items in place.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/642583-REG/Bard_s_BP_759T_Tacky_Wax_6_oz.html

T.G
12-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Try some "Tacky Wax". It's used to keep display items in place.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/642583-REG/Bard_s_BP_759T_Tacky_Wax_6_oz.html

from the item description:

Features

Bard's Tacky Wax is ideal for positioning small items or preventing slipping or moving of items on display or in still life arrangements. Long a favorite of tabletop and small product photographers, Tacky wax is also popular with artists who value its light, repositionable adhesive (tack) qualities. Tacky Wax does not stain and washes off with warm water.

The water soluble part makes me wonder how well it would hold up for long term use in a humid environment like a humidor.:2

Ranger_B
12-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Gorilla glue and felt disks

basso4735
12-19-2009, 08:37 PM
try to find some thin foam with 1 sticky side. probably a crafts store will have something that will work.

Subvet642
12-19-2009, 08:42 PM
from the item description:

The water soluble part makes me wonder how well it would hold up for long term use in a humid environment like a humidor.:2

They use it in museums. I suppose that as long as the humi doesn't get too warm...:hm

ChasDen
12-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Although the normal foam strip you find on the end of dividers has many uses, its primary use is in the window industry. It’s used to seal the gaps between many surfaces. It’s not as thick as standard weather-stripping and can often be found in between a stationary window and a sliding window. It comes in various widths and thicknesses and is not generally available in hardware stores. The weather stripping you will find in most retail stores is much thicker. The problem of dividers being too big or too small is very common. I have been struggling with finding the exact size that is somewhere in between too small and too big for my trays. One batch they are fine when they are shipped, but are too big later or shrink and become too small. Lots of good suggestions so far, basically anything that will fill the gap will solve the problem.

Chas

paris1129
12-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. So regular masking tape or foam shouldn't cause any "contamination" issues? I thought about that, but wanted to see if there was some side effect that I wouldn't think of. And yes, I did humidify the dividers at the same time, I left them in the drawer for the past week.

ChasDen
12-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. So regular masking tape or foam shouldn't cause any "contamination" issues? I thought about that, but wanted to see if there was some side effect that I wouldn't think of. And yes, I did humidify the dividers at the same time, I left them in the drawer for the past week.

Nope :tu

Chas

Subvet642
12-20-2009, 05:59 AM
How about using the cloth loop portion of Velcro strips? You could wrap them around the ends of the dividers.

tenbaseg
12-20-2009, 09:10 AM
How about cutting up one of the felt pads that stick to the bottom of chairs to protect the floor?

paris1129
12-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the tips, guys. For anyone down the road who has a similiar issue, I actually used a Dr. Scholles moleskin pad and cut a think strip. It has adhesive on one side, and it worked perfect to hold my divider in place. I'm actually thinking of putting it on the other dividers as well!