PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with cigars, need help!

druturn
12-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Hey guys, so I am currently a college student from Texas and am taking a semester abroad to Germany starting in January. My questions are regarding traveling with cigars. I plan on bringing a 15 cigar travel humidor, I currently have a 5 cigar herf-a-dor that works fine, but I plan on smoking much more than that next semester. Sure, I could just buy cigars from a B&M store while there, but why do that while I have a humidor full of stogies? I am looking at two humidors, http://stores.cigarsolutions.com/-strse-69/Cigar-Caddy-15-dsh-cigar-travel/Detail.bok and http://stores.cigarsolutions.com/-strse-40/Cigar-Solutions-15-Cigar/Detail.bok Which do you guys think is better? What entices me about the more expensive model is the pressure release valve for plane travel, does anyone have any experience with traveling with these on planes? Does anyone have a preference for either one, or a completely different humidor that I didn't mention? Also, does anyone have any advice on traveling in general with cigars(I don't plan on bringing any Cubans, so no need to worry)? Forgot to ask this as well but how long will cigars last in a travel humidor, as long conditions stay correct? Sorry for the millions of questions, thanks in advance!

14holestogie
12-17-2009, 02:28 AM
Personally, unless you're going to open this on the plane, the pressure relief valve is overkill. Many own the cheaper model and are happy with it, me included. :2

Don Fernando
12-17-2009, 03:43 AM
where in Germany will you be? There is an Amsterdam herf in march, if it's not to far of a drive, we're happy to have you! A spot to sleep can be arranged.

BigCat
12-17-2009, 05:16 AM
I wouldn't worry about the pressure release valve either. I have the 15 ct. herfador and while it can take a little effort to open after a flight, it's nothing major.

kydsid
12-17-2009, 05:48 AM
I have used my travel humidors for several months while on extended busing trips without a problem. Throw some boveda's or water pillows in and I am ready to go. That said I have traveled enough and worked at airports to know that I do not want my cigars in checked luggage.

So what I do is use quart sized baggies to triple wrap an old cigar box that I filled with cigars. With a bit of tetris I can get up to 50 in a couple boxes side by side in my computer carryon which is a briefcase type just big enough for a laptop with a 17" screen. Meanwhile the traveldor is packed empty in the checked luggage (in the middle to provide cushion).

As for cutters, put em in your checked baggage to avoid issues. Lighters are a whole other issue. Legal? Yes depending on many factors. Honestly just easier to buy a cheapo when you get there or find a good BOTL to hook you up. This site has helped with that last part. :tu

Good luck and good travels

leasingthisspace
12-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Do you know your addy where you are going? If you do then maybe it would be easier to just carry your 5er with you and mail a big box to yourself at the addy your going to.

My 15 herf-o-dor has never had a issue. Neither did my 5er. I gave my 5er to a Chaplin that redeployed before me an he didn't has an issue with it either.
Posted via Mobile Device

JetJocky51
12-17-2009, 06:11 AM
I think Kydsid has very good suggestions for you. I am an international airline pilot that carries cigars along with me on most flights. If you pack them the way he suggests I think you will be happy.

While the pressure relief valve is not a big deal if you are only going to do it twice (once over and once back) it does become a pain if you are doing it frequently. Thus I stopped carrying mine.

I would also take heed about the lighter. You will be better off just buying one in Germany. If you do pack one, make it a cheap one you don't mind losing.

If you are going to be in Frankfurt for part/all of the time be sure and visit La Casa Del Habanos in downtown FRA. It is very upscale and a great place to enjoy a cigar or two. The owner is very accommodating. I am there often. Who knows maybe we can have a mini-herf while you are there!

Enjoy!

chachee52
12-17-2009, 06:30 AM
I actually have one just like th first (cheaper) one. I've been using it as my primary humidor for a year or two. (Getting a real one for christmas). It's worked fine. About once a month depending on how many times I open it, I throw in some distilled water to the top and it stays fine. Never had any problems or complaints from people about the quality of the cigars.
Don't know about the traveling part though.

druturn
12-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Wow, thanks for all the advice guys!
14holestogie, big cat, chachee52, jetjocky51: Thanks for sharing your experience, I only plan on opening it when I get there and when I get back, no stogies on the plane for me lol
Don Fernando: I will be in East Germany in Leipzig, 2 hours south of Berlin, if you give me those dates you best believe that I will be there, as for you too jetjocky!
Kydsid: Hearing that advice, I really want to carry them on with me, but my only fear is them being brought out for inspection at security. I attend a university that severely looks down upon tobacco use, in fact, by the rules,(which aren't enforced but still worry me) using tobacco while studying abroad is grounds for suspension. And considering that I will be traveling with my fellow students and possibly my professors to Germany really scares me to bring the cigars on my carryon. Do you have any advice for packing them well in the checked bag? The humidor will be packed full of cigars so there shouldn't be too much shifting around inside the humidor.

Mugen910
12-17-2009, 12:17 PM
I think Kydsid has very good suggestions for you. I am an international airline pilot that carries cigars along with me on most flights. If you pack them the way he suggests I think you will be happy.

While the pressure relief valve is not a big deal if you are only going to do it twice (once over and once back) it does become a pain if you are doing it frequently. Thus I stopped carrying mine.

I would also take heed about the lighter. You will be better off just buying one in Germany. If you do pack one, make it a cheap one you don't mind losing.

If you are going to be in Frankfurt for part/all of the time be sure and visit La Casa Del Habanos in downtown FRA. It is very upscale and a great place to enjoy a cigar or two. The owner is very accommodating. I am there often. Who knows maybe we can have a mini-herf while you are there!

Enjoy!

Welcome to CA sir..

As for the OPs question...I have a 32ct humi with release valve..never had the need for the valve though...Just get something to safely contain your cigars..Don't bring a lighter...just buy one when you land or use matches. Cutter..put it in the check in bag or just pick up one while there. Have a good time in Germany.

jledou
12-17-2009, 12:44 PM
A quick solution for the vacuum that is created on the plane is to stick a small piece of paper between the lid before you get on the plane then take it out when you get there. It lets just enough air in and out to not create the vacuum.

I have not had any problems of the last 2 years with a bic lighter and a cheap cutter (cheap just in case) in my carryon.

OK so I did just have to ditch the lighter when I was leaving China but other than that there has not been a hassle with them.

Have fun with your travels.

kydsid
12-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Kydsid: Hearing that advice, I really want to carry them on with me, but my only fear is them being brought out for inspection at security. I attend a university that severely looks down upon tobacco use, in fact, by the rules,(which aren't enforced but still worry me) using tobacco while studying abroad is grounds for suspension. And considering that I will be traveling with my fellow students and possibly my professors to Germany really scares me to bring the cigars on my carryon. Do you have any advice for packing them well in the checked bag? The humidor will be packed full of cigars so there shouldn't be too much shifting around inside the humidor.

Tobacco use is grounds for supspension? How do they get away with that? I know tobacco is domonized but that seems like the ACLU would be all over that like white on rice. Is this for athletics maybe then I might understand but if you are of age, WTF? But what right does the University have to tell you what to do on your own time, even if it is a semester overseas program? :td

As for if they have to go checked. You need to pack them in the humidor so they don't move at all. Papertowels are a good way to pad a traveldor to prevent movement. Next wrap the humidor in packaging, clothes really, and put it in the center of the suitcase. If you want to be really careful use some packaging and duct tape in a cocoon like means to ensure there will always be padding even if the traveldor moves.

Lastly, be aware of Germany's/EU's personal exemption amounts for tobacco products needing to be declared at Customs.

alley00p
12-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I've never had to fly international with cigars, but flying in the U.S., I just carry my 30 and 15 travel-dors on with me. No one at security has ever batted an eye at the cigars, or at my wife's Bic lighter.

I put a cutter in one of my jeans pockets in my luggage, and just checked it. No one bothered with the checked luggage either. But if you're worried, just pick up a new cutter and lighter when you get to Germany. :D

Have fun on your travels!

:dance:

druturn
12-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Tobacco use is grounds for supspension? How do they get away with that? I know tobacco is domonized but that seems like the ACLU would be all over that like white on rice. Is this for athletics maybe then I might understand but if you are of age, WTF? But what right does the University have to tell you what to do on your own time, even if it is a semester overseas program? :td

Well, it stems from their no tobacco use on campus policy, which is total bullsh that they can get away with it while studying abroad. I attend an ultra-conservative(Church of Christ, to be exact) private university who just reformed their drinking policy to that if you are 21, you may drink off-campus, before, it technically wasn't allowed no matter what your age. Now mind you, these (totally bullsh)rules are in the rule book yes, but are they enforced? No. I think the main thing they are concered about while over there is using tobacco in the apartments? I don't know, or really care for that matter, I just want to get my cigars over there lol. And no need to worry about the exemptions, I checked and will be well within the limit.

md4958
12-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Can I just give you a little piece of advice. Bring the sticks you have in a big ziplock bag or tupper ware with a humipac in it.

In Germany excellent Cuban cigars are readily available, so buy while you are there.

As far as your schools restrictions on tobacco, I would defer to the LOCAL schools policy. If there you find that they have restrictions as well, dont use tobacco on school grounds. I dont think they can really kick you out for using a legal product off grounds. \

Just my :2

druturn
12-17-2009, 04:34 PM
They wouldn't suspend me if I were to use it off campus, the rule is really just for formality sake and to prevent use on campus(which is only a house with classrooms). Really my main concern is getting them across the border safely, humidified, and without running into any snags. I will take you guy's advice and carry them on with me and check the herf-a-dor empty into my luggage. Thanks for the advice guys!

Ranger_B
12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Zip lock and tuperware or old cigar box for me man. Once there get a small cooler set up. Then the smokes you have back here can get some age and you get to explore the local smokes and smoke shop there. I have the cheaper 15 count travel case as well as some large pelican cases with the relief valve. The only time I have used that valve is on military aircraft. Best of luck with your studies.

Don Fernando
12-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Don Fernando: I will be in East Germany in Leipzig, 2 hours south of Berlin, if you give me those dates you best believe that I will be there

The Amsterdam herf takes place on 19/20/21 march.

Volt
12-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Hmmm, A few thoughts comcerning your school.

1. You chose to go there.
2. Regardless as to how BS the rules are, they are their rules and you have agreed to them by attending.
3. I would be extremely leary with the cost of schools, scholoships, etc of being kicked out over someone seeing you with a $5 cigar. If they are that anal about it and your going to be in closer contact with your group than you would be possibly in the States, it's goping to be much harder to hide than in the States.
4. I would ship them over to our Dutch friends (should they be willing) and arrange to get them once your there. Beats your Professor looking at a 15 ct humi opened up at customs. You know your situation best, but seriously consider the ramifications of being caught and suspended/expelled. If the school is paying for the trip and your caught, would you have to come home? Pay for the trip? You know your situation best. Good luck.

Don Fernando
12-18-2009, 10:06 AM
4. I would ship them over to our Dutch friends (should they be willing) and arrange to get them once your there.

Not a problem, I guess sending them to Savvy would even be a better idea, he is in Germany and has an apo. I bet he is willing to help out.

fred
12-18-2009, 10:47 AM
this sounds like a student exchange program, yes?

IMO, part of that experience is to expore the other country/culture. to me, that includes buying local.

sure you got sticks at home but they are just going to age and get better. buy local and try to meet up with some of the local members (who will likely bomb you into next week :banger)

congratulations and enjoy your experience. i lived in Germany for 4 years as a child and treasure the memories.

druturn
12-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Hmmm, A few thoughts comcerning your school.
1. You chose to go there.
2. Regardless as to how BS the rules are, they are their rules and you have agreed to them by attending.
3. I would be extremely leary with the cost of schools, scholoships, etc of being kicked out over someone seeing you with a $5 cigar. If they are that anal about it and your going to be in closer contact with your group than you would be possibly in the States, it's going to be much harder to hide than in the States.
4. I would ship them over to our Dutch friends (should they be willing) and arrange to get them once your there. Beats your Professor looking at a 15 ct humi opened up at customs. You know your situation best, but seriously consider the ramifications of being caught and suspended/expelled. If the school is paying for the trip and your caught, would you have to come home? Pay for the trip? You know your situation best. Good luck.
It's really not the rules or university that I am angry at, I knew and accepted to follow those rules before I chose to go there, yes. Really what bothers me is the ambiguity of the rules, specifically for the study abroad program. If the cigars were found, the most that would happen would be a slap on the wrist and being asked to throw the cigars out. It is definitely a risk bringing cigars with me, it wouldn't get me sent home or even suspended, but it wouldn't be a great way to kick off the semester with my profs. However, you brought up a great idea that I didn't even think of, if I could find a BOTL somewhere near Berlin or Leipzig that is willing to accept some incoming cigars and keep them humidified for a few days, I would gladly pay them handsomely in cigars!