PDA

View Full Version : I made someone's Christmas...

coastietech
12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
I live in an apt complex and over the last couple weeks I have been noticing that there are cigars in my humi's that I couldn't find. I chalked it up to my lack of memory or that I was just imagining things.

Well I guess my instinct was right because today I came home and the two humi's I have in my living room on display were gone...

It's weird but I guess I'm fortunate that they didn't take anything else, atleast not that I've noticed. They didn't notice the cooler that was in my room so that's a plus as well.

The door was locked so I am guessing that it was one of the maintenance people that have access to all the apts. I called the front office and they swore up and down that the people that work there would never do such a thing.

:mad::mad:

Guess I made someone's Christmas... :td

Skywalker
12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
That sucks!!!:mad:

Emjaysmash
12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Aw Joe that sucks! I hope those bastards get whats coming to them.

mithrilG60
12-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Time to change your locks and NOT give the maintenance or management company the key.

srduggins
12-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I hate thieves, and stealing cigars???? WTF

coastietech
12-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Time to change your locks and NOT give the maintenance or management company the key.

I am doing this tonight when I go to pick up the kids...

Should have done it when I moved in, it's my fault for not thinking about this. :(

coastietech
12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I hate thieves, and stealing cigars???? WTF

That's what I said when I came home... My tv was still there and that was right next to the humi's. All my speakers and home entertainment stuff was left there. They left my safe with all my guns. I don't have a lot of stuff so there's not much they could have stole but I figured if they were going to steal something they wouldn't have gone after my cigars. :confused:

Kreth
12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
:tpd: But I wouldn't give up on getting the stuff back. Police report first off. That will establish no forced entry. Then contact the management company again through a lawyer.
Posted via Mobile Device

E.J.
12-15-2009, 03:24 PM
:tpd: But I wouldn't give up on getting the stuff back. Police report first off. That will establish no forced entry. Then contact the management company again through a lawyer.
Posted via Mobile Device

icehog3
12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
What did the police say?

14holestogie
12-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Absolutely get the police involved.

My wife's aunt had something similar happen to her in the past couple of years where some cash disappeared and she was told the same thing about the people they had working maintenance. They couldn't possibly have done it. Turns out it was one of the longest tenured employee they had.

Bax
12-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Always get a report. Even if they think they won't catch the guy. If they do catch him they have a proir history of thefts on file.

T.G
12-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Buy a replacement humidor, fill it with cigars and a poisonous snake. Let them come steal it too, that'll teach them.

ActionAndy
12-15-2009, 04:03 PM
That's what I said when I came home... My tv was still there and that was right next to the humi's. All my speakers and home entertainment stuff was left there. They left my safe with all my guns. I don't have a lot of stuff so there's not much they could have stole but I figured if they were going to steal something they wouldn't have gone after my cigars. :confused:

I'm really not trying to be funny but the rationale here may be that the cigars get burned. If suddenly the maintenance man had a new tv and blu-ray that matched yours it's definitely fishy--if he smokes cigars no one can really say anything? Dunno, but either way, whoever did this is garbage.

CigarDisciple
12-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Always have renters insurance when you live in a apt. also it might be worth it to invest in a camera for the apt, kinad like a nanny cam. Sorry for your loss. :(

icantbejon
12-15-2009, 04:31 PM
That really blows dude...sorry about your luck

bobarian
12-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Get the police involved if your landlord will not take responsibility. :2

68TriShield
12-15-2009, 04:42 PM
What did the police say?

You did report it didn't you?

Dunkel
12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Put in a camera pointing at a new humidor with cigars in it. Catch them on film ,get them fired, and contact the police.

Bruins Fan
12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Were one of the maintenance guys or the super in you apartment recently doing work?
I bet they were and spyed your cigars, then helped them self to a couple, then they got brave and came back for the big score.
Got to be someone with a key, call the cops get a report.:td

Blueface
12-15-2009, 05:25 PM
This reminds me of my first apartment.

Money from our "cash" drawer in our bedroom was missing on a weekly basis.
$20 here and there.
The wife thought I took it, I thought she took it.
She thought I miscounted, I thought she miscounted.
Finally, we set them up.
Turns out the rat bastard superintendent was going into apartments during the day when all were at work.
He is the only one that had an extra key.

I changed the locks immediately and never told him and never gave him a key.
He never asked.
Money never disappeared ever again.
Eventually, I moved out when my one year lease was up.

Blueface
12-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Put in a camera pointing at a new humidor with cigars in it. Catch them on film ,get them fired, and contact the police.

Not a bad idea.
You can get them as cheap as $149-$200 that are wireless and record directly to a computer. You can even view them live on an iPhone or smart phone.
However, I would rather just change the lock and not risk losing anything else.

Joe,
If you are interested in a good source for the surveillance equipment, give me a shout.
I use one not too far from you in Ft. Lauderdale, near 595.

coastietech
12-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Alright just got done with everything...

They sent an officer out and he took a report. He told me it's not the first time he's been out to this complex for similar reports (stolen good without any forced entry) He took all my information and told me he would contact me if he found something out. He basically told me to keep an eye out on craiglist and similar sites to see if I see my stuff up for sale.

I used to have renters insurance but when I move to FL the price sky rocketed and since I didn't have the all the camera gear or a large amount of guns I didn't get it. Gonna have to look into getting it.

Bought new locks and I'm gonna change them tonight. I have the maintenance guys in and out doing work all the time, the kids tend to break stuff left and right, so they have definitely had the opportunity. I have been here for about a year and this is the first time I've ever had any issues with anything like this.

TFULLERY
12-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Bother, sorry to hear about your loss! this is truly a crime most vile.:fl:fl:fl:fl

longknocker
12-15-2009, 05:43 PM
So Sorry To Hear That, Joe.:( Hope They Catch The Thief, Brother.

Blueface
12-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Alright just got done with everything...

They sent an officer out and he took a report. He told me it's not the first time he's been out to this complex for similar reports (stolen good without any forced entry) He took all my information and told me he would contact me if he found something out. He basically told me to keep an eye out on craiglist and similar sites to see if I see my stuff up for sale.

I used to have renters insurance but when I move to FL the price sky rocketed and since I didn't have the all the camera gear or a large amount of guns I didn't get it. Gonna have to look into getting it.

Bought new locks and I'm gonna change them tonight. I have the maintenance guys in and out doing work all the time, the kids tend to break stuff left and right, so they have definitely had the opportunity. I have been here for about a year and this is the first time I've ever had any issues with anything like this.

Where you are, renter's insurance should run you between $300 and $400 a year. Well worth the money.
If you are going to have these guys back in and out in the future, I would look into an undetectable hidden camera and have it burn to a hardrive. Complete set up can be had under $300. Next time, you will have them red handed.

What a pain. I feel for you as have been there.

chippewastud79
12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Does the apartment complex have log of the people who do the maintenance and when they are in and out of each apartment? :hm

Sorry for the bad luck :bh

acruce
12-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Set up video camera in your apartment

coastietech
12-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Does the apartment complex have log of the people who do the maintenance and when they are in and out of each apartment? :hm

Sorry for the bad luck :bh

They do... and typically they will leave a notice saying they were there and why they were there and it includes their name and what service they performed.

The office manager so adamantly denies that her staff couldn't have done this because there wasn't anything in the "log" saying someone entered my apt. :rolleyes:

icehog3
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
The office manager so adamantly denies that her staff couldn't have done this because there wasn't anything in the "log" saying someone entered my apt. :rolleyes:

The office manager needs to get their head out of the sand, that is one of the most naive things I have read in quite a while.

AD720
12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
The office manager needs to get their head out of the sand, that is one of the most naive things I have read in quite a while.

:tpd:

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/birds/birds_201.gif

4th or 5th on the renters insurance sugestion...our's is like $20 a month...so worth it.

Kreth
12-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Agreed. Maybe you should tell her what the cop told you.
A couple of low cost options:
Post a flyer at your complex. Something like "You stole my stuff. I have you on video. Turn yourself in or I will."
When you get new humis, lace a couple of cigars with something fun like ipecac syrup. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

GreekGodX
12-15-2009, 06:31 PM
That is terrible. Thieves make me very angry :mad: Then on top of it the manager of the place is obviously an idiot. You cannot disrespect a man more then by ripping him off.

G G
12-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear that bro.

Adriftpanda
12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Dang, sorry to hear about that Joe. Hey look at the bright side, at least that's all they took. Sorry pal.

secretsquirrel
12-15-2009, 07:38 PM
that sucks man. thiefs are scum man!:fl

Smokin Gator
12-15-2009, 08:06 PM
I hate thieves... Sorry to hear about your loss brother.

bleedingshrimp
12-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Nothing worse than a thief.

MedicCook
12-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Sorry to hear about this Joe.

eber
12-15-2009, 10:01 PM
that sucks man, hope they get what they deserve

rizzle
12-16-2009, 07:59 AM
That just ain't right Joe. I hope it works out for you bro. There just ain't nothing worse than a thief.

coastietech
12-16-2009, 08:35 AM
I appreciate all the advice and well wishes...

I'm gonna pretty much chalk this one up to a loss and a learning experience. Like many have said the good thing is it was cigars and not my guns or other irreplacible items.

I have installed a new lock and I'm gonna start looking into renter's insurance again this week.

All in all this wasn't a cheap lesson, but it could have been much more costly for me and the family.

Knip23
12-16-2009, 08:38 AM
The sucks. Do you have renter insurance. Sorry Joe