PDA

View Full Version : Removing rust from stainless fridge

kydsid
12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
I just noticed some rust on the stainless fridge. I guess the last time I wiped the exterior down I left it a little too wet and it spotted and rusted.

Any suggestions for a product to remove the rust with and to protect the stainless after the fact?

N2Advnture
12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Try WD-40 (I know that the mfg uses it to clean adhesive film from the protective covering with it and it protects as well)

~M

JaKaacH
12-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Flitz works great.
http://www.flitz.com/p-42-stainless-steel-appliance-kit.aspx

T.G
12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Hate to break it to you, but stainless steel can't rust.

I have no idea what you might be seeing, or if the refrigerator is truly stainless steel, so I would just recommend a non-abrasive stainless cleaner which you can buy at places like Lowe's and Home Depot in the appliances dept.

JE3146
12-15-2009, 04:20 PM
I use Bar Keeper's Friend on my stainless cookware.

Takes stuff off easily.

:tu

JaKaacH
12-15-2009, 04:21 PM

I have no idea what you might be seeing, or if the refrigerator is truly stainless steel, so I would just recommend a non-abrasive stainless cleaner which you can buy at places like Lowe's and Home Depot in the appliances dept.

It can't?? :confused:

BC-Axeman
12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Some kinds of stainless rusts lightly. I might just try a mild abrasive kitchen cleaner on a sponge.

markem
12-15-2009, 04:29 PM
true stainless steel doesn't rust, but you will find that many (most?) stainless steel appliances are subject to some rusting, which says something for the quality of the stainless steel.

Check around, but I recall that baking soda is a good cleaner. Also, check your owner's manual to see if you should be doing some periodic maintenance to keep the rust away.

The problem is common enough that places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. sell products to clean the rust without damaging the surface (as long as you are careful).

bobarian
12-15-2009, 04:33 PM
That's why they call it a Stainless Steel "Finish" A thin coat of wax should slow the rust powder which tends to form after cleaning. :2

tobii3
12-15-2009, 04:35 PM

Don't know what you're thinking, but Stainless Steel rusts all the time.

It's stain-LESS, not stain-PROOF.

Here's a link that should help ya out, Sid -

Rust and Kitchen Stainless Steel (http://www.theruststore.com/Removing-Rust-From-Kitchen-Stainless-Steel-W31C2.aspx)

I always laugh when I hear people say Stainless doesn't rust. :r

markem
12-15-2009, 04:39 PM

Sorry, you should read your own link. It explicitly states (correctly) that the stainless steel isn't rusting but that rust is being transferred to it.

Why does rust form on stainless steel?
The kitchen is an ideal place for rust to form; that is one of the reasons many kitchens feature stainless steel appliances, pans, and utensils. However, there are some items in the kitchen that are not made of stainless steel. In the example above, the rust stain was left by a cast iron pan. By leaving a wet cast iron or steel pan in contact with a stainless steel sink, the ideal conditions are created for the pan to rust and stain the sink.

bobarian
12-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Don't know what you're thinking, but Stainless Steel rusts all the time.

It's stain-LESS, not stain-PROOF.

Here's a link that should help ya out, Sid -

Rust and Kitchen Stainless Steel (http://www.theruststore.com/Removing-Rust-From-Kitchen-Stainless-Steel-W31C2.aspx)

The first line of the article reads "...stainless steel rarely rusts." It goes on to say how most rust is caused by secondary transfer stains not the actual surface rusting. My stainless steel sink is 8 yrs old with no rust.

Doh, Mark types faster than me!

Rabidsquirrel
12-15-2009, 04:40 PM
From http://www.ssina.com/faq/index.html#2

3. Can stainless steel rust? Why? (I thought stainless did not rust!)

Answer: Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used. See "The Care and Cleaning of Stainless Steel" for more information.

Whoa, multi-simultaneous post!

Starscream
12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
true stainless steel doesn't rust, but you will find that many (most?) stainless steel appliances are subject to some rusting, which says something for the quality of the stainless steel.

:tpd:

BC-Axeman
12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
According to this site, the rust is from contamination on the surface. (http://www.ssina.com/faq/index.html)

BC-Axeman
12-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Ain't the internets informative? :D

tobii3
12-15-2009, 04:50 PM
What is a STAIN?? Do tell.

Because STEEL will STAIN and OXIDIZE no matter WHAT it is called.

As I said, and as you fail to realize, Stainless is NOT STAINPROOF.

Here you go -

Stainless steel does not stain, corrode, or rust as easily as ordinary steel (it stains less, but it is not stain-proof). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel)

So what do we mean when we say that stainless steel is stainless? Does that mean if we spill our coffee on it that it won't stain? Not exactly. The name gets it origin from the fact that stainless steel corrodes or rusts less easily than ordinary steel. In this article we'll look into the chemistry behind stainless steel and find out what makes it stainless.

WAIT!!!

WHAT WAS THAT???

stainless steel corrodes or rusts less easily than ordinary steel

LINK (http://www.stainless-online.com/why-stainless-steel-stainless.htm)

Sit down before you hurt yourself.

""True stainless doesn't rust"" :r:r:r

1badhog07
12-15-2009, 04:51 PM
See jason what you started..

Starscream
12-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Sit down before you hurt yourself.

:r

replicant_argent
12-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Gives Gunny Segway a Mommys Little Helper...

BC-Axeman
12-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Pass the popcorn...

tobii3
12-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I said it from the beginning.

:ss

I'm still LMAO!!!!

This thread has SERIOUS potential - for those who fail to understand the fact that stainLESS is NOT stainPROOF!!

Starscream
12-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Pass the popcorn...

Be careful not to get any rust on it.:)

tobii3
12-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I've heard of a rusty trombone.....what's a rusty popcorn??:confused:

Starscream
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
I've heard of a rusty trombone.....what's a rusty popcorn??:confused:

Exactly. Popcorn doesn't rust.;)

Whee
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Pass the popcorn...

I brought enough to share.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/IllinoisHoosier/smilies/watching_a_movie.gif

tobii3
12-15-2009, 05:09 PM
http://finewhyfine.typepad.com/fine_why_fine/images/popcorn.bmp

Blueface
12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
We use the stainless steel cleaner made for the appliances.
I think with a little elbow grease, works well to clean the surface of anything.

Blueface
12-15-2009, 05:19 PM
I said it from the beginning.

:ss

I'm still LMAO!!!!

This thread has SERIOUS potential - for those who fail to understand the fact that stainLESS is NOT stainPROOF!!

The ultimate oxymoron is my "stainless" Weber BBQ Grille.
Good luck to me if I really expected that to be stain-less.

T.G
12-15-2009, 05:42 PM
tobii,

Metal purity has a lot to do with it. Not going to bother explaining it further since you've got all the answers, even though your own links contradict each other.

BTW. you're the only one who brought up non-staining.

JaKaacH
12-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Stains-less....
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/09/29/stainless-steel-can-it-rust-you-bet/
http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ss/s_wmodel66stainless357magnumrevolver_4.htm
http://z.about.com/d/hunting/1/0/S/I/swmodel66_04w.jpg

T.G
12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Authoritative science and metallurgy from a gun blog!

w00t!

Bye.

tobii3
12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
What was that I said in my original post??

Still LMAO here.

:r

JaKaacH
12-15-2009, 06:00 PM
C ya.
Ok its not rust, lets call it corrosion.:D

kydsid
12-15-2009, 06:42 PM
See jason what you started..

I know right. Leave the kids unsupervised for a couple hours and look what happens.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Looks like I have some reading to do right after I set up a computer. :tu

Blueface
12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
C ya.
Ok its not rust, lets call it corrosion.:D

Let's not confuse it with Oxidation.:D

JaKaacH
12-15-2009, 06:50 PM
I know right. Leave the kids unsupervised for a couple hours and look what happens.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Looks like I have some reading to do right after I set up a computer. :tu

What kind of computer?? PC or Mac....?? :r

CasaDooley
12-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I think I need a rusty nail:al after all this!:r

TheBeard
12-15-2009, 06:58 PM
It's true. If stainless steel didn't rust, it'd be nifty for use inside the body (pins, artificial joints, etc.) Unfortunately, it will oxidize inside the human body.

JaKaacH
12-15-2009, 07:11 PM
I think I need a rusty nail:al after all this!:r

While you're at it make one for me too, but leave out the Drambuie please. :D

CasaDooley
12-15-2009, 07:17 PM
While you're at it make one for me too, but leave out the Drambuie please. :D

Do you still want a twist of lemon?:r

Blueface
12-15-2009, 07:17 PM
It's true. If stainless steel didn't rust, it'd be nifty for use inside the body (pins, artificial joints, etc.) Unfortunately, it will oxidize inside the human body.

Oh no.
Say it ain't so.
You did not use the word Oxidize, did you?
Let's get off on another one (debate).:r
Oxidation and Corrosion are not one and the same, although often confused.

kydsid
12-15-2009, 07:26 PM
What kind of computer?? PC or Mac....?? :r

PC. Macs don't need setup..it's called the on switch. :r

Been building computers for 15 years, I'll be ok with any pc problems. Rust/Oxidation/orange stains whatever you want to call it on my fridge are another issue.

JaKaacH
12-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Do you still want a twist of lemon?:r

NO :al

Wharf Rat
12-15-2009, 07:49 PM

I'm not picking on this post in particular, but it is a good starting place for trying to summarize the correct info that is sprinkled throughout this thread.

The discussion here is being hampered because "rust" is a laymen's term for one particular form of corrosion. Steels (not stainless) are susceptible to a general surface corrosion which forms iron oxide. That's the reddish-brown stuff we call "rust."

Stainless steel forms a very thin oxidation layer on surface which "passivates" or protects the metal from further general corrosion. The layer is kinda fragile, so it can get disrupted by fingerprints, water drops, etc. These can be removed with common stainless cleaners.

Stainless can corrode in other ways. It is susceptible to pitting corrosion caused by chlorides like the salt in your sweat. See the photo of the pistol trigger guard in a previous post.

I'm an appliance engineer and I can tell you stainless appliances sell well, at a premium price. But, I wouldn't recommend them to a friend unless they were prepared to constantly polish and polish them. They aren't practical in a kitchen environment.

Ratters
12-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I use Bar Keeper's Friend on my stainless cookware.

Takes stuff off easily.

:tu

Best stuff ever. Always keep a supply under the sink. :tu

Perfecto
12-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I've got whole set of SS kitchen knives that are proof SS does in deed rust and pits so bad I can't get the rust outta the pits.

Oh........did I forget to mention where it was made?.....you guessed it!

SS my big round behind....

BC-Axeman
12-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Why would anyone still have a revolver when autos are so much better?

:lv

Starscream
12-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Stainless or not?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oq15Zy7sB4

JE3146
12-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I've got whole set of SS kitchen knives that are proof SS does in deed rust and pits so bad I can't get the rust outta the pits.

Oh........did I forget to mention where it was made?.....you guessed it!

SS my big round behind....

You wash them in the dishwasher don't you?

bobarian
12-16-2009, 02:27 PM

I am sorry, but this is not an accurate statement. Surgical stainless steel is used internally. I have had stainless steel Harrington rods in my back for 25 years.
Stainless steel plates, screws and wire are also used. Surgical stainless steel is used in joint implants and heart valves as well.

Blindjimme
12-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Rust never sleeps.

BC-Axeman
12-16-2009, 02:44 PM
There are many kinds of stainless steels. The cheapest ones are not very corrosion resistant. The ones that are are also expensive. Which do you think are used in appliances vs. implants?

JaKaacH
12-16-2009, 03:01 PM

Why are autos better...??? Revolvers can be shot fast too..:banger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw&feature=PlayList&p=0F17ADCEBCC6112C&index=32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWSvjgNOJyo&NR=1

floydpink
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM

says who?

As for the cleaning question, there is only one person qualified to answer that question and he is unfortunately dead
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/rastapete69/billy-mays.jpg

jjirons69
12-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Good reading - test with magnet.

Stainless steels are a very broad group of metals. The name was adopted as a generic term for steel alloys with a minimum of 10.5% chromium. The chromium gives the steel its 'stainless' properties - essentially corrosion resistance. On the surface of the metal, a very thin chromium-rich oxide layer is formed which is inert - i.e. it prevents the steel from rusting. The advantage of stainless steels over plated steels is that, if scratched or damaged, the steel will 'self-repair' as a new oxide layer is formed. In plated steels, scratches in the plate will often lead to corrosion of the steel underneath.

Stainless steel wrenchIn general, the higher the proportion of chromium, the stronger the corrosion resistance of the steel. In addition to chromium, other metals are added to give the steel particular properties such as strength and malleability. Specifically nickel is used to strengthen the oxide layer.

As for whether they are magnetic, the answer is that it depends. There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon (making them 'martensitic') and are often used in cutlery. However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

So the answer is yes, the magnetic properties of stainless steel are very dependent on the elements added into the alloy, and specifically the addition of nickel can change the structure from magnetic to non-magnetic.

ZJB
12-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Depending on the Hardness of the SS will depend on how corrosion resistant it is. It all depends on the combination of metal alloys used in the particular product.

kydsid
12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
It is non-magnetic.

tobii3
12-16-2009, 05:47 PM
oh for crying out loud.

300 series Stainless is non-magnetic.

400 series Stainless is MAGNETIC.

Bobarian -

Research martensitic steel vs austenitic steel.

Your rods would have been 316LVM Steel.

The nickel/chrome/molybdenum alloys are also used for orthopaedic implants as aids in bone repair, as a structural part of artificial heart valves, and other implants. Immune system reaction to nickel is a potential complication. In some cases today titanium is used instead in procedures that require a metal implant which will be permanent. Titanium is a reactive metal, the surface of which quickly oxidizes on exposure to air, creating a microstructured stable oxide surface. This provides a surface into which bone can grow and adhere in orthopaedic implants but which is incorrodible after implant. Thus steel may be used for temporary implants and the more expensive titanium for permanent ones.

Did you see the part about ""INCORRODIBLE AFTER IMPLANT""?????

You wanna compare implants, let's go. I have titanium in my jaw, my shoulder, my hip and my foot. They are PERMANENT.

Martensitic Steel (Surgical) is used as a healing AID...not as a PERMANENT solution.

One of many reasons why the Harrington rods became obsolete in the 90's - Slight problem with people's reaction to the nickel content of the steel and all.....

This “implant grade steel” as John calls it, is not impervious to degeneration and it would be best called “stain less” steel. Mixtures of these metals are used for short term medical implants but are not considered for longer term (20 to 30 years). In cases where the implants are to be “permanent”, titanium alloys are preferred.

icehog3
12-17-2009, 01:57 AM
Scarecrow, I think I'll miss you most of all.

Blueface
12-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Rock, Paper or Scissors?