PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Grown Simplicity

Doctorossi
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
In my experience with "Sun-Grown"-identified wrappers, I have found them to uniformly suggest a subtlety-levelling dominance of the flavors in the cigars they adorn. I have smoked blends that show great complexity with other wrappers and found none of it in the "Sun-Grown" variations. This despite my general preference for larger RG- the stuff I've smoked should, in theory, display the least wrapper-flavor impact. To date, I have yet to encounter a "Sun-Grown"-wrapped stick that I would describe as complex of flavor. This is not necessarily a problem, mind you... but it does leave me very curious. Do they exist? Can they exist? Can anyone point me to any?

s15driftking
12-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I have encountered only a few sungrown wrapper cigars and have noticed that they have a very robust flavor although the cigar itself is not a full bodied smoke. That i think brings up the subject of body strength versus flavor strength. I have not experiences a very complex flavored sungrown cigar maybe because the sungrown wrapper is so prevalent to notice any complexities in the binder/filler of the cigar. I wish i could point you in a worthy direction but i will abstain because I am not the person to make that call.

JJG
12-10-2009, 07:35 PM
The only one I've had in recent memory was an Ashton VSG. I was hoping it would taste more like a high-end Fuente but I remember it being a little on the boring side. I have no idea if the blandness was related to the wrapper though.

Eleven
12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Rocky Patel Sungrown Petit Corona is one of my favs.

Doctorossi
12-10-2009, 08:26 PM

I tried a Rocky Patel Sungrown Torpedo. It was maybe one of the more complex sun-growns I've had, but still nowhere near complex. Have you had the Torpedo size?

DougBushBC
12-11-2009, 05:18 AM
I do really like the RP Sungrown (one of his best), but the VSG is complex through and through. A new player that you might want to try is the new San Cristobal "Selecion Del Sol" by DPG

Starchild
12-11-2009, 05:55 AM
I've been favoring sun growns lately. I know that tastes vary, but I find the Oliva V to be quite complex. I had my first VSG recently, and was a bit underwhelmed. I also like the Taboo HSG and RP, but I wouldn't describe either as very complex.

I can't think of many where the same blend is available in sun grown and other wrapers.

Dunkel
12-11-2009, 06:06 AM
It's good to see that I'm not the only one who thought the Ashton VSG was kinda boring. For the money and hype it should have been amazing but wasn't. Most every sun grown wrapped cigar i've smoked has been pretty bold, which I like but not very complex. I haven't tried a RP Sun Grown but it's on my list of "must try" cigars.

CigarGuy
12-11-2009, 07:45 AM
The only size of RP Sun Grown that I have had is a robusto size and it was very tasty.

duckmanco
12-11-2009, 08:46 AM

Best of that blend, desert island smoke for me. Super rich smoke with just the right amount of everything.