PDA

View Full Version : Great Acquisitions

jjmitchem
12-09-2009, 06:57 AM
I really raked up last night at a local Gurkha event

The tickets got us two cigars, a Vintage Shaggy and an Assassin

Since my wife came along and she does not smoke that got me 4!

Plus, they had 20% off so I bought an Evil, a Legend, and different Shaggy

Buying three got me a free event Gurkha (hand roll, what ever that means - no band on it)

They also handed out each of us who purchased an additional cigar, a Don Pepin Black Label

SO that is 9 cigars!

they also had a raffle in which I won a $10 gift certificate to the store (which will be another cigar!) and my wife won a India Tobacco Company Backpack - which is pretty cool looking and our son claimed it when we got home

I smoked the Shaggy at the event, it was a Churchill. This was my first Gurkha. I have heard a lot of negative things about Gurkhas but I was pleasantly surprised with it. I will be buying more of them in the future - especially with all the deals I am seeing on the online companies for them

now I need a bigger humidor than my 5 stick cigar caddy!

kelmac07
12-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Sounds like a good time. :tu

Skywalker
12-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Good for you!!!:tu

It's a rare individual who will take a stand for Gurkha's around here!!!

Glad you had fun... that's what matters most!!!

jjmitchem
12-09-2009, 07:16 AM

It's a rare individual who will take a stand for Gurkha's around here!!!

Glad you had fun... that's what matters most!!!

Why is that? Understand I am new to cigars - have smoked them once in a while over the years, but just started to really get into them.

Enlighten me:D I want to learn how to appreciate them even more.

At this point probably the best cigar I have tried is a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

Volt
12-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Gurks have a rep for being beat upon. They have as any other line - some you will like and others you will not. It a boutique brand, like Tats, etc. Some are over priced and others priced ok. Personally I think a lot of Pepins and Tats are tremendously over priced for the smokes, but a lot like to chase them. Some love CAOs and Drew Estates cigars and neither will pass my lips, not that they are a "bad" cigar, just bad to me. Smoke everything you can and see what you think, biuld your own thoughts.

As the saying goes - smoke what ya like and like what ya smoke.

RightAJ
12-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Why is that? Understand I am new to cigars - have smoked them once in a while over the years, but just started to really get into them.

At this point probably the best cigar I have tried is a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

Try the Olde World or Decade from Rocky, they're probably his best smokes...

In my experience with Gurkhas, they are just kinda bland. The price I paid wasn't bad cause they were on sale, but I wouldn't ever pay full price for one as I think there are plenty in the same price range that are worlds better.

That being said, I did truely enjoy the Gurkha Regent... it had one of the smoothest wrappers I have ever seen!

aj

The EVP
12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I may catch some heat for this, Gurkha's aren't bad cigars....they'e just way overpriced because of the packaging. If they could go with regular packaging and bring the cigars in around the $8 price point they would sell much better.

RevSmoke
12-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Gurks have a rep for being beat upon. They have as any other line - some you will like and others you will not. It a boutique brand, like Tats, etc. Some are over priced and others priced ok. Personally I think a lot of Pepins and Tats are tremendously over priced for the smokes, but a lot like to chase them. Some love CAOs and Drew Estates cigars and neither will pass my lips, not that they are a "bad" cigar, just bad to me. Smoke everything you can and see what you think, biuld your own thoughts.

As the saying goes - smoke what ya like and like what ya smoke.

I may not agree with the cigars he doesn't appreciate - but he's exactly right. If all our tastes were the same, there wouldn't bee the need for all the different brands.

68TriShield
12-09-2009, 10:35 AM

It's a rare individual who will take a stand for Gurkha's

I may catch some heat for this, Gurkha's aren't bad cigars....they'e just way overpriced because of the packaging. If they could go with regular packaging and bring the cigars in around the $8 price point they would sell much better.

JJ,don't believe anything you read until you try some yourself,which you have,which proved my point :)

NCRadioMan
12-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I really raked up last night at a local Gurkha event

The tickets got us two cigars, a Vintage Shaggy and an Assassin

Since my wife came along and she does not smoke that got me 4!

Plus, they had 20% off so I bought an Evil, a Legend, and different Shaggy

Buying three got me a free event Gurkha (hand roll, what ever that means - no band on it)

They also handed out each of us who purchased an additional cigar, a Don Pepin Black Label

SO that is 9 cigars!

they also had a raffle in which I won a $10 gift certificate to the store (which will be another cigar!) and my wife won a India Tobacco Company Backpack - which is pretty cool looking and our son claimed it when we got home

I smoked the Shaggy at the event, it was a Churchill. This was my first Gurkha. I have heard a lot of negative things about Gurkhas but I was pleasantly surprised with it. I will be buying more of them in the future - especially with all the deals I am seeing on the online companies for them

now I need a bigger humidor than my 5 stick cigar caddy!

That sounds like the Pipes Ltd. event, right? I work in the shop. Let me know who you are next time, bro. ;)

The "hand roll" was a fresh rolled cigar for the event since the roller couldn't get a visa. The Pepin made cigar was a Giralda not the Black Label. The ladies who own the company were there too.

BigAsh
12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
JJ,don't believe anything you read until you try some yourself,which you have,which proved my point :)

i LOVE WISDOM...Dave, that's why your name's in red! :tu

poriggity
12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounds like you had a great time! I am not a fan of Gurkhas, but hey man, to each his own, and if you enjoyed it, then that's awesome!
Scott

jjmitchem
12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey Greg, what were the other "Shaggys" at the event? I know one is a maduro - the one I got. But I saw a few others. Also, what was the size that was handed out to us?

Chemyst
12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Some Gurkhas are OK.
I like the Ancient Warrior, and one or two others.

Gurkha and RP saturate the market with lots of blends
and hope one sells. I don't know why they don't make
toasters, except that toasters aren't consumable.

Hmmmm... RP bubble gum!
LOL

Chemyst :cool2:

NCRadioMan
12-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Hey Greg, what were the other "Shaggys" at the event? I know one is a maduro - the one I got. But I saw a few others. Also, what was the size that was handed out to us?
There is the Connecticut, Maduro and what Gurkha just calls Dominican. Toro, torpedo and churchill. The Dominican is the puro. I think we handed out the jawbreaker 6 x 60.

punch54
12-11-2009, 08:51 PM
nothing wrong with Gurkha

Namerifrats
12-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I probably have around 35 Gurkhas in my stash. I have had some good ones and som bad ones. So far, my favorite Gurkha would be the Xtra Fuerte. Strong chocolate taste. Has a very fragile wrapper though. Best place to score Gurkhas at a low price is Cigar Bid.

jdakine
12-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Where is HI are you moving too, Oahu, Maui, Kauai or Big Island?

Nimbus
12-11-2009, 09:41 PM
DO NOT go to the devil site!!! :bh:bh:bh

jjmitchem
12-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Where is HI are you moving too, Oahu, Maui, Kauai or Big Island?

going to Oahu, Schoefield Army barracks

SmokinApe
12-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Sounds like you were up to your arse in Gurkha... FWIW I have seen "experienced" smokers fooled when given Gurkha's blind...

Catfish
12-12-2009, 06:04 AM
So far, my favorite Gurkha would be the Xtra Fuerte. Strong chocolate taste. Has a very fragile wrapper though...

QFT :tu