OHRD
12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Size: 5×50, Robusto
Wrapper: Cuban-seed Corojo (Nicaraguan)
Filler: Cuban-seed Corojo (Nicaraguan)
Strength: Full
Price: Box of 25, $269.95
Grade: 9.2

The Padilla 1932 was masterminded by Don Pepin Garcia and is produced in his Little Havana factory, El Rey de los Habanos. One size however, the La Perla, is produced at Pepin’s Nicaraguan factory, Tabacalera Cubana S.A. The line is named for Ernesto Padilla’s father, Herberto, a Cuban poet, who was born in 1932. Released in stages, the first three sizes debuted in 2006. There are 7 total sizes, with one size made exclusively for one retailer. This cigar has received some high ratings, including a 93 from Cigar Aficionado (for whatever that’s worth). You can learn a great deal about the 1932 here.
As a huge Don Pepin fan, I was excited to fire up the Padilla 1932. Everything about the smoke is eye catching and as I get ready to review my anticipation level is high. So, without any more history, let’s toast that foot.

Pre-light, 1.8:
The Corojo wrapper on this smoke is somewhat veiny, but not in a detrimental way. A few bumps are present but again nothing to detract from the aesthetics of the smoke. The triple cap is very nice, the weight is spot on, and it is very well constructed. The very detailed and artistic label pays homage to the fact that this smoke is rolled in Little Havana. The pre-light aroma is nutty and the cold draw is aromatic with clean tobacco and some warm spice in the nose.

Burn, 1.8:
The 1932 had a nice burn line throughout with no touch ups or re-lights required. The draw was tight to begin with but opened up nicely halfway into the first third. The ash held well past one and a half inches before I tapped it off into the tray. The smoke got a little tight towards the final third, but not enough to deduct points.

Flavor, 2.8:
Lets get on with what matters most to us, the flavor profile. The first puff was nutty with some spice on the exhale. The first third was flush with flavors of roasted nuts and cedar, with some dark notes layered in the palate. Some pleasant spice was noticeable on the exhale and lips. The second third seemed to get smoother, but the flavor profile remained consistent with a longer finish of dark herbal notes. The final third of the Padilla featured prominent spice and a very rich and highly enjoyable tobacco.

Overall, 2.8:
The Corojo wrapper and Nicaraguan filler is a winner in my opinion. At over $10 a smoke, this is not a yard cigar for sure, but it is well worth the money. The classy label, excellent burn, and huge flavor profile makes this smoke one that I wished went on forever. However this bad boy is full bodied and it snuck up on me—don’t take it for granted; it is a powerhouse of strength. Ernesto and Don Pepin really have a winner in this smoke.

(Total: 9.2)

OHRD
12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
http://www.toastedfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Padilla_32_web.JPG

Hippi3Slay3r
12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I like em its sorta gives me a sweet tooth fix :P

roughrider
12-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I enjoy the Toro and Torpedo sizes. Thanks for the review.

TheRiddick
12-07-2009, 12:45 PM
RE: The Padilla 1932 was masterminded by Don Pepin Garcia and is produced in his Little Havana factory, El Rey de los Habanos.

Not for almost 2 years now. How old is this box?

FWIW, the 1932 is my favorite blend in Padilla lineup, I like it much more than Miami blend.

OHRD
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
This stick was the older version; there is a helpful comparison of the two at this website (http://cigarfan.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/padilla-signature-1932-old-and-new/). I just found it today, pretty interesting.

Starscream
12-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Never had a bad tasting Padilla. This one can be picked up cheap as a sampler bundle from both CI and CBID. Never had a 1932, but not sure I'd pay $10 a stick as you can get them much cheaper through deals.

OHRD
12-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Never had a bad tasting Padilla. This one can be picked up cheap as a sampler bundle from both CI and CBID. Never had a 1932, but not sure I'd pay $10 a stick as you can get them much cheaper through deals.

Totally agree, I try and not spend $10 on any one stick. I also shoot for the samplers. There are some really good prices on Padilla samplers around.

OHRD
12-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Conversation w/ Ernesto Padilla on Twitter, some clarification:

What's the difference b/w the two:

new 1932 script band began like original 1932 Nica Cuban seed Corojo-last factory began to use only Ecuador

Is Pepin involved in the new blend at all?

nope! thank god! all the tobacco is aganorsa- thats the best cuban seed leaf grower in nica-now u learned something-check it

nozero
01-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Just in case anybody else is interested, these are on sale at CI.
Padilla 1932 Mega-Sampler http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/spec_deals_a.asp

The Padilla Signature 1932 Mega-Sampler includes 20 cigars:
5 - Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto (5" x 50)
5 - Padilla Signature 1932 Toro (6" x 50)
5 - Padilla Signature 1932 Torpedo (6.1" x 52)
5 - Padilla Signature 1932 Churchill (7" x 48)
$59.99

Or for an additional $5.00 tack on the buck-a-stick Padilla Salomon.

I bit...

Salvelinus
01-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the review, and the links.

Vigiles
01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Thank you for the review, I'm going to have to try these now!

Vigiles
01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Ok so i really want to try these cigars, and it seems like the CI deal is really good.

However having not tried them, i'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the sampler. I DO however like all the nicarauguan cigars that i've had, so I'm pretty sure I'll like them.

Thoughts?

SkinsFanLarry
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Very nice review Matthew!

OHRD
01-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Ok so i really want to try these cigars, and it seems like the CI deal is really good.

However having not tried them, i'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the sampler. I DO however like all the nicarauguan cigars that i've had, so I'm pretty sure I'll like them.

Thoughts?

I think you'll like them if you're a fan of Nicaraguan cigars; Padilla makes some of the highest quality cigars around--the old blend was made w/ Don Pepin so you know it's quality. The newer blend is also suppose to be great. I say pull the trigger, but they are full bodied so keep that in mind if that sort of thing bothers you.

Vigiles
01-06-2010, 08:09 AM
I think you'll like them if you're a fan of Nicaraguan cigars; Padilla makes some of the highest quality cigars around--the old blend was made w/ Don Pepin so you know it's quality. The newer blend is also suppose to be great. I say pull the trigger, but they are full bodied so keep that in mind if that sort of thing bothers you.

Crap, I was hoping someone would say "no, don't do it" lol.

The deal expires on my birthday, so, I guess I Know what I'll be getting myself!

Thanks for the nudge down the slippery slope! :ss

OHRD
01-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Crap, I was hoping someone would say "no, don't do it" lol.

The deal expires on my birthday, so, I guess I Know what I'll be getting myself!

Thanks for the nudge down the slippery slope! :ss

What did you expect to hear! Happy Birthday, this will be a great gift!

Vigiles
01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Just wanted to say thank you, I ended up ordering the sampler. Got it two days ago, and fired up my first one today.

I tried one of the robustos, it was a little under 50 degrees today, perfect for January!

The stick was delicious, very very good. Im really happy that I picked these up! The cigar was medium to full bodied, but it wasn't a "knock you on your butt" cigar, which I was very happy with. (not that I don't like getting knocked on my butt, but its nice to stay standing sometimes too. :D )

Overall I'm very happy with this purchase and can't wait to lite up the next one!

OHRD
01-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Glad you liked it Vigiles, it seems that Padilla samplers are one of the easiest to come by and their sticks are very consistent; hope the rest are just as good if not better.