PDA

View Full Version : Top 10: Shootouts

CBI_2
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Found this list and thought I would share. Some of these I haven't seen myself but list seemed pretty good. Enjoy.

No.10 - Confronting Little Bill

Unforgiven (1992)
Notable guns: Starr 1858 Army pistol; Spencer 1860 Saddle Ring Carbine rifle; Smith & Wesson Schofield Model 3 revolver; Single Action Army revolver; J. Stevens & Company 1878 shotgun; W. Richards 10 Gauge double barreled shotgun
Estimated body count: 7

History has taught us that it’s never a good idea to piss off Clint Eastwood, especially when he has firearms at his disposal. This scene proves just how lethal this dusty old gunslinger can be despite his advancing years and arthritic trigger finger.

No.9 - The Ambush

The Boondock Saints (1999)
Notable guns: Beretta 92FS Inox pistol; Taurus PT92 pistol; Para-Ordnance P-14 pistol; Smith & Wesson Model 629 Snub revolver; Smith & Wesson Model 686 Snub revolver; Para-Ordnance P-10 pistol; Smith & Wesson 5906 pistol
Estimated body count: 11

Take one look at this shockingly violent scene and we’re sure you’ll agree that life would be far more exciting if it was always narrated by Willem Dafoe. The veteran actor sums up the onscreen carnage best when he surmises, “For a few seconds this place was Armageddon. There was a fire fight!” Truer words have never been spoken.

No.8 - The Gunfight At The O.K. Corral

Tombstone (1993)
Notable guns: Colt Single Action Army revolver with 4.75" barrel; Colt Single Action Army revolver with 7.5" barrel; Colt Thunderer revolver; Meteor 10 Gauge side-by-side shotgun
Estimated body count: 4

Nearly everyone knows the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral was an epic battle, but this film truly captures the sheer proximity of its grim gun-wielding combatants. Director George P. Cosmatos deserves special kudos for managing to keep viewers on the edges of their seats while presenting this deadly skirmish in a historically accurate fashion.

No.7 - Train Station Showdown

The Untouchables (1987)
Notable guns: Colt Detective Special .38 special revolver; Star Model B 9mm pistol; Smith & Wesson Model 10 revolver .38 Special; M1928 Thompson "Tommy Gun" .45 ACP; Winchester Model 1912 Riot Gun 12 gauge shotgun
Estimated body count: 7

A tribute to the famous Odessa Steps sequence from Sergei M. Eisenstein’s Battleship Potemkin, this breathtaking scene provides plenty of carnage while also beautifully illustrating Elliot Ness' chivalry as he puts his life on the line to save a child from imminent disaster.

No.6 - Teahouse Shootout

Hard Boiled (1992)
Notable guns: Norinco Type 54 (Tokarev TT-33) pistol; Taurus Model 85 revolver; Micro Uzi
Estimated body count: 30

Opening sequences don’t get much more explosive than Hard Boiled’s teahouse shootout. This kick-ass five-minute scene sets the tone for the rest of the film with its breathtaking choreography, excessive bloodshed and highly imaginative stunts.

No.5 - The Lobby Shootout

The Matrix (1999)
Notable guns: Beretta 84F Cheetah pistol; Beretta 92FS 9mm pistol; M16 rifle with 20-round magazine; M16 (SP1) rifle with 20-round magazine and A1 flash hider; Micro Uzi with 15-round magazine; Heckler & Koch MP5K; Franchi SPAS-12 12-gauge shotgun; Skorpion SA Vz 61 submachine gun; Smith & Wesson Model 10 heavy barrel revolver
Estimated body count: 17

Bullets fly and guards drop like flies when Neo and Trinity enter the lobby of a heavily guarded building in this blazing sci-fi scene. Although just 3 minutes and 11 seconds long, this one segment accounts for nearly half of the film's onscreen deaths.

No.4 - Unwanted Houseguests

The Professional (1994)
Notable guns: Beretta 92FS pistol; Heckler & Koch HK33A3 assault rifle; Heckler & Koch HK33A2 assault rifle; SIG SG543 rifle; HK91-A2 rifle; Sig SG-540 rifle
Estimated body count: 9

Leon’s cramped New York City tenement proves to be the perfect setting for his final stand as he takes on a team of officers from the NYPD Emergency Service Unit. Curiously, the filming of this scene coincided with a real-life robbery around the block. When the dimwitted criminal stumbled upon the set, he mistook a group of uniformed extras for real cops and instantly surrendered.

No.3 - A Blaze Of Glory

The Wild Bunch (1969)
Notable guns: Winchester Model 1897 riot shotgun; Springfield M1903A3 rifle; Colt M1911/Star Model B pistol; Colt Single Action Army with 5" barrel revolver; Smith & Wesson Model 10 revolver; Browning M1917 machine gun; Enfield No.2 Mk.I revolver
Estimated body count: 90

Director Sam Peckinpah was never known for subtlety. That’s especially apparent in this violent scene in which 90 soldiers and desperadoes are mowed down in less time than it takes to hard-boil an egg. Believe it or not, more blank rounds were discharged during the production of The Wild Bunch than live rounds were fired during the Mexican Revolution of 1914. Now that’s dedication!

No.2 - Say Hello To My Little Friend!

Scarface (1983)
Notable guns: IMI Uzi 9mm; FN FAL battle rifle; M16A1 with M203 grenade launcher; Spanish Zabala sawed-off double-barreled shotgun
Estimated body count: 18

When Tony Montana’s mansion is besieged by his rival’s army, he fights back with round after round of white-hot lead. Look very closely and you’ll notice Al Pacino accidentally grabbing his gun by the barrel. Although only blanks were used, Pacino’s hand was badly burned during the sequence, prompting director Brian De Palma to shut down production for several weeks.

No.1 - The Botched Bank Job

Heat (1995)
Notable guns: IMI Galil ARM 5.56mm assault rifle; Beretta 92FS 9mm pistol; Remington 870 police magnum riot shotgun; Mossberg 500 12-gauge shotgun; FN FNC-80 assault rifle; Mossberg 590 shotgun
Estimated body count: 13

What do you get when you combine Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and 6,000 rounds of ammo? One hell of a shootout! This seven-minute scene strikes the perfect balance between bloodshed and suspense as McCauley and his crew blast their way through the streets of L.A. in a desperate bid for freedom.

acarr
12-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Not an official list without a Clint Eastwood shootout.

longknocker
12-05-2009, 09:05 PM
I Love "Shootout" Movies! Thanks, Paul!:tu

acarr
12-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Not an official list without a Clint Eastwood shootout.

Dohh missed the unforgiven but that was hardly his best. How about are you going to pull your pistols or whistle Dixie.

CBI_2
12-05-2009, 09:50 PM
I Love "Shootout" Movies! Thanks, Paul!:tu
Likewise. I would probably add the shoutout from The Shootist or True Grit with John Wayne.

Skywalker
12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the list, Paul!!!:tu

JaKaacH
12-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Great list.
One of my fav's, but not on the list is Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner in Open Range

CBI_2
12-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Dohh missed the unforgiven but that was hardly his best. How about are you going to pull your pistols or whistle Dixie.
Love Josey Wales
Great list.
One of my fav's, but not on the list is Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner in Open Range
Another great one. :tu

ActionAndy
12-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Great list.

I always debate (with myself) over which was better: Unforgiven or Open Range. Unforgiven is wonderful for its brutality and sort of...well, it's simple. It's straightforward and there's no flashy tricks going on. Open Range really makes you feel the intensity of the moment and proves to have some really exciting camerawork/choreography. I definitely think both movies should be higher on the list.

How about the climactic last stand in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

Edit: Had some more thoughts.

First off Scarface is a goofy film. It doesn't belong on any list except for "most overrated."

An underrated movie with some realistic gunplay is Way of the Gun. One of the things I always notice si how loud the guns are. They don't sound like canned effects, if you watch this on a good set up you'll feel like someone actually is firing at you.

JE3146
12-06-2009, 12:36 AM
#1 was pegged solid....

Nothing beats Heat... I get totally immersed in that shootout when watching it on the 42" with surround sound. It's a frighteningly well shot piece of film.

RIsmoker
12-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Enemy of the State (1998) Not sure about the information of the gunfight, but the shootout at the end in the restaurant kitchen was awesome.

montecristo#2
12-06-2009, 01:12 AM
#1 was pegged solid....

Nothing beats Heat... I get totally immersed in that shootout when watching it on the 42" with surround sound. It's a frighteningly well shot piece of film.

:tpd:When I read the title of this thread, Heat was the first movie that came to mind.

Bruins Fan
12-06-2009, 05:38 AM
I love the shoohouts. :tu
How about the beach landing in Saving Pvt Ryan?

Whynot
12-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Heat was what came to my mind as well. What a great cast. One of my all-time favorite movies, as is Untouchables. Not really a shootout, but if you want to see a great execution scene, check out the end of "Rise of the Footsoldier". I am a fan of the short gunfight from Snatch as well when they try to rob with the replicas.

iRiSh
12-06-2009, 06:28 AM
i cant argue with number 1, its amazing, even more so with hi-def surround sound.

gettysburgfreak
12-06-2009, 08:29 AM
#1 was pegged solid....

By far the best shootout in my opinion. Nothing is better than watching this with surround sound cranked on full blast.

Ratters
12-06-2009, 09:09 AM
An underrated movie with some realistic gunplay is Way of the Gun. One of the things I always notice si how loud the guns are. They don't sound like canned effects, if you watch this on a good set up you'll feel like someone actually is firing at you.

This.

And you still have to add the shootout at the end of The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, not so much for the shooting, but for the drama and suspense. Ok, the music.

Kreth
12-06-2009, 09:15 AM
What about the climactic shootout in Reservoir Dogs?
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
12-06-2009, 05:56 PM
High Noon to slow to make the list?

tobii3
12-06-2009, 06:08 PM
....An underrated movie with some realistic gunplay is Way of the Gun.

Some of the funniest quotes EVER came from that movie -

Shut that c*nts mouth or I'll come over there and f*ckstart her head!

:banger

Don't you think it's funny that if I grab a woman's ass and she punches me, she's fighting for her rights, but if a faggot grabs my ass and I punch his lights out, I'm a homophobe?

:D

Ratters
12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Some of the funniest quotes EVER came from that movie -

This one was my favorite:

Joe Sarno: So, you the brains of this outfit, or is he?
Longbaugh: Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation.

:D